Sign in to follow this  
Nur

eNuri Salutes the Islamic Courts

Nur   

Nogone bro.

Comments " What increases my unease about this whole thing is that in the few months that the ICU have been hogging the Somali political scene their loyal supporters have not sought to enlighten us about them or draw us a solid picture of how they expect them to maintain the peace in Somalia. Everything I’ve heard so far has been done as a reaction to events and not as part of a proper plan and suitable strategy!

An over due comment, As spectators, a clear vision communcation by the UIC is in order, InshAllah we shall all seek to get a well structured response to a timely request.

The difference between Somaliland's experience and the UIC recent victory and realization of peace and order is remarkable:

1. Somaliand, like puntland is a province, not the national seat.

2. Somaliland had a single political faction, the SNM, the UIC was facing 14 warlord factions in Mogadishu alone, plus foreign entities, bent on prolonging a bloody anrachic situation no one thought it will ever come to an end.

3. The excietement of the UIC is that they have delivered what no organization has ever delivered, property owneres have collected their properties in an orderly fashion, services were resumed, and a serious national plan is underway to implement development and national rebuilding once the Ethiopian troops hires by warlords get a life, or lose it in their proxy stalemate.

4. Somaliland experience draws from a common injustice aspiration for secession, while the UIC is driven by unifying Somalia along Islam, not tribe, and no dirty politics as in the case elsewhere. The UIC rank and file are increasingly becoming representative of the Somali people, word has it that defeated warlord Hirales remaining militia have joined the courts willingly, and the entire Gedo is behind the UIC, Alhamdulillah.

There is no question that aevery change has its pains, and mistakes, we have reached rock bottom, we were being prepared to accept even Satan for a change, but Allah SWT was kind to us, he gave is the rule of law to govern our lives, should not we aloo work to protect and make it work?

I have talked to a long time senior resident of Mogadishu, who is a licensed Notary Public ( Shermarke Government), he confided to me that the new breed of UIC are indeed educated technocrats, " it reminds me the first government of Somalia in 1960" were his words,.

Nur

Wiilo   

It is amazing how one can devote his entire life to support a warlord. :confused:

Nur: su'aal gaaban, ma ku qaldan yihiin mase ku saxanyihiin UIC mowfiqka cad ay ka istaageeyn ciidamada amxaarada ah ee dalka ku sugan? What is your take on this?

wabillaah:....

Coloow   

Ngonge,

It is those of us who live in the relatively peaceful "west" who are cynical. Of course we have every right to be sceptical and to ask questions. But what about the millions whose lives have been wrecked by the warlords? The IUC is a saviour for them. For the first time in the last 15 years or so a new era has emerged. There is alot to be desired: The IUC should not engage in petty things like canning people who watch football games, spot a haircut or watch movies. But those kinds of things take a back seat in the minds of the millions of somalis who have witnessed warlordism and conflict entrepreneurship.

I spoke to a few relatives in somalia- and those in Muqdisho claim that things are improving (and they think people in the west (like me) are living in a life of illusion for asking weird questions about the motives, structures and strategies of the IUC.

I think any sane somali should give the IUC the benefit of the doubt. There is a lot of negative reporting on their progress and accomplishments. We should not blv everything that is expressed by those who hate them (many of those against the IUC do so from a deep hatred that could be sourced to tribalism).

p.s what is Ngonge? A former kenyan cabinet minister?

Wiilo, Inkastoo aan wadaada ku racsanhay waxyaabo badan haddana waxaay ila tahay inaay habooneeynin inaay farta ku fiiqaan Amxaaro. On the contrary, they should point the finger at the somali lackeys (the TNG). Waging a war on ethiopia defies conventional military wisdom. The amxaaros could bomb muqdisho and other towns. Conquering is another thing though.

I think if the IUC continues with its strategy (less the propaganda about amxaaro), they could succeed in toppling the dawlad isku sheega. Abdullahi yusuf , Geedi and the rest would face the same music that Yalaxow, Qanyare et faced.

NGONGE   

Caaqil,

The millions whose lives were wrecked by the warlords were celebrating the forming of the TFG only eighteen months ago, saaxib. In that light alone, one can conclude that they would welcome peace by any means (ICU, TFG or even benevolent warlords).

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that there are those that despise the ICU for no specific reason than that it was started by a particular clan. Those people will still hate the ICU even if that group eventually turned Somalia into the best and most powerful country on earth.

Still, there are many others that don’t care for such hatred and are only interested in peace and progress. Look around you in this site and you’ll see many from other parts of Somalia (Somaliland, Puntland, etc) that support the ICU. They do because they believe that this group’s intentions are purely, totally and completely Islamic! This might be true ( I sincerely hope it is) but for the moment, and unless you’re in the ‘know’, only an extremely optimistic person (with very bad memory) would afford them anything more than cautious support.

Granted that, sometimes, emotional tidal waves of goodwill carry movements, people and ideologies along to safety. It’s very possible that the cheer optimism and total conviction of the ordinary Somalis will help in turning the ICU dream into observable reality (and that I have no problem with). However, for now, and as a sane person, I can’t help but ask the questions that need to be asked and that I put forward when the TFG was put in place or the TNG or even when the previous government of the Republic of Somalia was toppled. That the ICU came along donning a religious garb gives these questions even more importance and magnitude.

Right now, the ICU are busy having a war of words with the TFG (and a one-sided one with Ethiopia). This is very distracting and, still, tells me nothing about the goals, aims and plans of the ICU. I’m sure it has not escaped your attention that people are comparing them to the Afghani Taliban! Are they and if they’re not, how are they different? What Islamic model do they propose to use when they’re in control of the whole of Somalia? Will they be joining the Untied Nations or will they stand on their own feet? How about debts, the economy, capitalism, globalisation and the way the world is run these days? Will they join the human race or will they isolate Somalia along the lines of religious principles? Note that I don’t ask these questions because I want them to do these things, the questions are put forward to know what sort of government the ICU will be and how the country will be run.

Again, I repeat, bringing peace alone to the capital is not enough (in the longer term). One has to understand their plans and strategies before one could fully support them. Iran is an Islamic Republic but I don’t agree with nor support the Iranian model. Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Kingdom but I don’t support nor agree with the Saudi model. What will Somalia be and how?

Ps

NGONGE was a name of a friend of mine.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

Ngonge, I have never supported the TFG or the organisations established following the demise of somalia for the simple reason that they were enacted through tribalism ( maligma). There is alot to be desired from the IUC. I see them as the last hope- a change. From my perspective any form of governance that does not include tribalism is fine. Thus far, the IUC have brought peace in the killing fields of Muqdisho. They have established some long awaited law and order. They have advanced to other towns and they seem to be succeeding. Of course that is not enough. But let us wait and see. If they divert I would cease supporting them.

You raise a vital issue; I have no problem with the Iranian model. Democracy is excercised. There is economic growth, political cohesion etc. The Saudi case is different. I don't see it as an islamic republic. It is a despotic feodalism . and I don't want to happen it to somalia.

These issues we are raising are secondary in the minds of many somalis. For many, it is about living which has been denied to them for decades. Democracy, human rights and other elements are important to us in the west. For the poor mother in Muqdisho, it is about ensuring the removal of warlords, roadblocks and social ills. To this end, we have to applaud the IUC for succeeding where tribalism, warlordism, Carta, Doofareey have all failed.

Why don't we celebrate the poor mother's situation?????

You are right. Bringing peace alone to somalia is not enough- but that is a step in the right direction. They have brought some peace to Galkacyo to Saakow, Burhakaba, Kismayo etc. The only area that they did not take is the town of Baydhabo- and the Gedo region ( The residents of Bardhere are divided- and this coming days they would take it).

So let us wait and see. This might be the force that is needed to subdue somalia. In regards to Somaliland and Puntland. I don't think these self ruling regions have anything to fear if the rulers and the system they put in place are not based on warlordism and corrupt entrepreneurship. The IUC is a popular movement that is welcomed by people who went through alot. If the people in these regions feel that they are better off under these adminstrations, then nothing would happen. If on the other hand Riyale or Cade Muse are dictators who do not have local support then they would be history.

N.O.R.F   

Nur

What is 'the' system of Islamic Governance? I.e. the hiarachical structure. Is there one supreme judge/sheikh as in an organisation chart? What are the qualifications required? Who does the voting? Is a regional based system with the heads of those regions being part of the supreme council?

Nur   

Norherner brother.

To illustrate the Islamic System of Governance, let us go back to a period in time in which a model Islamic Governement exisited.

Lets us begin with the inaugural speech of The First Caliph of the Nascent islamic state Abu Bakr Al Siddique:

" I have been appointed as a care taker ( Caliph), (being fully aware that) I am not the best of you, If I fulfil my duties rightfully, assist me in its fulfillment, if on the other hand I fail in fulfilling my duties, ( Straighten me up) correct me.

Telling truth is a trust ( that belongs to the beneficiaries of that truth), telling a lie ( that harms stake holders) is treason.

God willing, the weak among you (people) is strong in the eyes of my offiice, until I secure their rights, and the powerful among you are weak in the eyes of my office, up until I take away from them what they have aquired unjustly.

There are no folk who have stopped serving in Jihad ( Military Service ) that were saved from being humiliated by Allah, and there are no people who tolerate lewd lifestyles who have not been afflicted with deseases. Obey me when I obey Allah, if I disobey Allah, I surely have no mandate for your obedience "

Translated by eNuri Transemantics

It was narrated that during the Caliphate of Omar Ibn Al Khattab, that resdients of a town in the south complained from the performance of their governor that was appointed by Omar. The town sent a petition of complaint to the Caliph and the Caliph summoned the Governor in his own town and began questioning him on the accusations raised by the citizens.

The Town residents had three complaints:

1. The Governor takes off one day of from work ( works only six days a week)

2. The Governor comes late every other day.

3. The Governor does not socialize at night with the residents, he is no where to be seen after evening prayer ( ishaa).

In the presence of the Caliph, at the town hall, the governor was asked to respond to these complaints.

The Governor asked for a private session with the Caliph to answer these questions as it was emabarassing to answer facing the town residents. The Caliph refused, insisting that the Governor answer to the town residents in his presence.

1. As for first complaint: "Yaa Amirul Mumineen" said the Governor addressing the Caliph, " I take a day off from work weekly because I have only one set of clothes to wear, I wash my cloth and stay at home as it takes time to dry"

2. As fo second complaint, " I come late every other day, as I take turns with my wife to cook food for our family, when is my turn to cook, I come late, when is my wifes turn to cook, I come on time"

A this point there was an uproar in the crowd, they said that they did not want to hear the third answer as these two answers were heart breaking, a man who is just with his wife, can not be unjust with his constituents, they reasoned, and a civil servant who is poorer than the citizens to the point that he has only one rope to wear, was an example of the most transparent form of government.

The Governor, defiantly refused, and went on to defend hismelf from the third accusation:

" as for not beeing seen in social gatherings at nightfall, may I ask the crowd, if I am busy working for them six days a week, isn't only fair that I spent my nights in prayer to my Lord?"

Nur

Ms DD   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Nur

What is 'the' system of Islamic Governance? I.e. the hiarachical structure. Is there one supreme judge/sheikh as in an organisation chart? What are the qualifications required? Who does the voting? Is a regional based system with the heads of those regions being part of the supreme council?

salaam aleykum

Rather than being allowed to vote for just any rabble-rousing nitwit (like Bush or Blair), In Islamic state you can only vote for Islamically educated technocrats. You can either approve or disapprove of them based on your perception of their morality in accordance to Islamic teachings.

Since elections will only be held to replace a leader when they either die or are disqualified on moral grounds, no specific electoral population or special interest group will get to influence policy based upon their own selishness, narrow interest, greed, or hate.

One primary leadership position exists, however, all the actions of this leader are further overseen by an elected body of Islamic scholars.

Once this leader is chosen, again, Islamic scholars only, this leader will set all policy, appoint all cabinets, and speak for the people (he will have to consult with an elected group of scholars, but he can overrule them if he so chooses).

They will only be replaced if the population has determined that they have become corrupt, at which time a new election would be held.

At the time of Mohammad, peace be upon him, the Prophet chose those of the best moral character. Now, the people will have to make that determination.

This is the Islamic system.

Khayr   

Truthfully speaking and this might crush some of your illusions, but there is no SINGLE UNIFORMLY AGREED UPON system of Islamic Governance. The Rasul (sallahu caliyhe wasilm) did not draw out an Islamic Governance Oragnization chart. Neither did He (sallahu caliyhe wasilm) lay out in plain and simple language to us.

It is open to interpretation and much tafruq/disaccord, seperation; has arisen as a result of this and most likely won't stop anytime soon.

The Ibn Taymmis believer in one form of Islamic governance i.e. any ruler can rule as long as they implement the Shariah.

The Mahdists believer that only One Khalifah can rule and that is Imam Mahdi.

The Ithnasharis believer that we just sit around and wait for the Imam Mahdi too, except for Khommmeni.

Others believe that the Ulama should Rule.

So it is an system of Governance that is dynamic and flexible. What is clear is what the governing principles should be i.e. the SUBSTANCE

Meaning Quran, Sunnah, Shariah.

^^You have no knowledge to talk about this, I advice you to not confusse the people. because if you say this, that Islam doesn't have a clear blueprint of governance system, it means that the debate among the companions after the death of the prophet (scw) was invalid, which was all about declaring an Imam for the people before the prophet was burried.

You were only talking about what this sect had to say about Islamic governance system, and not mentioning what the Quran and the Sunnah say about it. That is the worst loopholes in which Bidcah always comes in without detection.

war Kheyrow ilaahey ka cabso, waxaadan cilmi u laheyn ha sheegin, oo jooji diinta aad masabidaneysid!

Originally posted by Khayr:

Truthfully speaking and this might crush some of your illusions, but there is no SINGLE UNIFORMLY AGREED UPON system of Islamic Governance. The Rasul (sallahu caliyhe wasilm) did not draw out an Islamic Governance Oragnization chart. Neither did He (sallahu caliyhe wasilm) lay out in plain and simple language to us.

It is open to interpretation and much tafruq/disaccord, seperation; has arisen as a result of this and most likely won't stop anytime soon.

The Ibn Taymmis believer in one form of Islamic governance i.e. any ruler can rule as long as they implement the Shariah.

The Mahdists believer that only One Khalifah can rule and that is Imam Mahdi.

The Ithnasharis believer that we just sit around and wait for the Imam Mahdi too, except for Khommmeni.

Others believe that the Ulama should Rule.

So it is an system of Governance that is dynamic and flexible. What is clear is what the governing principles should be i.e. the SUBSTANCE

Meaning Quran, Sunnah, Shariah.

^^

Salaam,

Ya Khair you putting the cart before the horse my brother, Those who differ what ever sect they are or might be the old ehelu kitaab(The people of books) they didn’t differ till they get and received the bayinah - the revelation or in other words the laws, specially the old testament or the laws of Musa Calayhi salaam, Gospels(New testement) and furqaan of Mohamed (Scw) they are complete laws – and that is why the prophet of Islam said : Laylahaa ka nahariha, its day is like a night, no one deviating from it but only a loser – something similar I don’t have the nas or text now but as I remember.

So brother itqi Allah fiina – and may Allah guide us all; iyaana wa iyaak, Islaamic goverance is clear and its the kitaab, wa sunnah as you said (wa alamru shuura baynakum) is enough and more than enough,and the reason why? muslims suffer today is the hidden hatred of Shariah, Allah made the lesser qoom of a nation between the nations, a good example is europe didnt hate xijab, till those islamic nations like tunis, egypt, turkey and maybe morroco banned hijaab from the goverment buildings and offical public places.

Allah(Subxaanah )says in the quraan:

"If not Him, ye worship nothing but names which ye have named,- ye and your fathers,- for which Allah hath sent down no authority: the command is for none but Allah. He hath commanded that ye worship none but Him: that is the right religion, but most men understand not...

In that regard yaa Khair, al xumkum ilaa lilaaah, amara an la tacbduu il a iyaah –the emphasis is on the (xumkumu) and its nothing but the laws of the land which Allah subxaanah degreed to the humans to saveguard and protect their health and wealth, and their other daily-lifes,and transactions between them.

In some where else also Allah(Subxaanah)says in the Quraan:

Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

Somewhere else in the Quraan Allah(Subxaanah) Says:

It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah's will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear me, and sell not my signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers

Yaa Kahir they didn’t differ till the glad tidings and warnings and laws came onto them, after that they differ to deviate or lost the way following by their whims and desires.

Allah(Subaxaanah) says:

2:213 Mankind was one single nation, and Allah sent Messengers with glad tidings and warnings; and with them He sent the Book in truth, to judge between people in matters wherein they differed; but the People of the Book, after the clear Signs came to them, did not differ among themselves, except through selfish contumacy. Allah by His Grace Guided the believers to the Truth, concerning that wherein they differed. For Allah guided whom He will to a path that is straight.

3:19 The Religion before Allah is Islam (submission to His Will): Nor did the People of the Book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other, after knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah, Allah is swift in calling to account.

42:14 And they became divided only after Knowledge reached them,- through selfish envy as between themselves. Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy Lord, (tending) to a Term appointed, the matter would have been settled between them: But truly those who have inherited the Book after them are in suspicious (disquieting) doubt concerning it.

45:17 And We granted them Clear Signs in affairs (of Religion): it was only after knowledge had been granted to them that they fell into schisms, through insolent envy among themselves. Verily thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgment as to those matters in which they set up differences.

Wa Allahu Acalam, Allah knows best!

Reference:

Yusuf (Joseph) [12:40]

Al-Baqara (The Cow) [2:213]

• Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) [3:19]

• Ash-Shura (The Consultation) [42:14]

• Al-Jathiya (The Kneeling) [45:17]

Saalixa   

it is sad Nur,

But today the warlords are back and the islamic courtSs were defeated in less than a week.

where was all the zeal, truimph, strong confident messages they were bombarding to the rest of the somali states and other countries? They were very unstable and weak but still made definate comments that they were incapable to implement. That is were they went wrong, they thought too big of themselves and had no reason...they were just brainwashing every Young religious somali guy or man to join the war when they were severly incapable to give war. They deluded the nation and wasted the lives and honour of so many somali men or boys that could grow up to be strong leaders!

Nur   

Ducaysan sis

Very good comment, like Brother Xiins commens, inshAllah I will respond very soon as time permits, again, May Allah bless you for your good feelings for the succes of our people and faith.

Nur

Biixi   

Islamic Courts supported, participated so many things that were against Islamic teachings May Allah NEVER bring them back.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Biixi:

Islamic Courts supported, participated so many things that were against Islamic teachings May Allah NEVER bring them back.

Does/Did Meles Zenawi conform to the teachings of Islam?