Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Suggestions

Warmoog   

For those of us who often browse through the politics sections, a quick glance around lets you know who the 'regulars' are in this corner of SOL. But in my view, there's a disheartening trend going on here. The fact that people are discussing important issues and having debates is nice. But I think there is cause for concern regarding the manner in which some engage in such discussions. Whether you know it or not, I think some of you are causing an even greater rift between Somalis of differing regions. Not only is your political discourse disturbing, it’s also destructive. With that said, I’m not going to single anyone out or name names… but I’d like to offer a few suggestions.

1) Speak for yourself:

Too often, some people try to speak for whole regions. Firstly, it’s naïve to assume those from your particular region share your political views. Secondly, you have no authority to speak for such large groups of people. So instead of speaking for all Puntlanders, all Somalilanders, or all those from Somalia proper... just speak for yourself.

2) Understand where the 'others' are coming from:

Some of you seem oblivious to the genuine concerns of your political opponents. Yet, for whatever prejudice or hidden agenda you carry against the 'others', you never fail to disagree with them... merely for the sake of argument.

For instance: One particular Somali Weyn supporter dismissed evidence of the genocide against people in Somaliland.... saying something to the effect of 'oh, those bones could belong to anyone'. Now exactly how do such baseless remarks help the Somali Weyn cause? Instead of bringing Somalis together, do they not cause more reason for some to separate themselves from the rest?

Meanwhile, some Somaliland supporters make unrealistic comparisons between Somalia proper and Somaliland. But how can such individuals overlook certain factors at play in Somalia proper (and not in the North), which are directly/indirectly undermining and even preventing progress (ex: warlords)?

My suggestion to you all is simple; at least understand where the ‘others’ are coming from before you talk about them or, worse yet, oppose them with such vigor.

3) Choose your words carefully:

I think it’s safe to say those of us living outside Somalia (like many still in it) are generally powerless. By that I mean we have no authority with which to cause immediate change in the Horn. What we can (and often) do is talk… discuss, debate. But we need to be careful and choose our words carefully, so as not to create rifts between ourselves and other Somalis. That is, if we have any genuine concerns for the well-being of all Somalis.

Salaamz.

Matkey   

I fail to understand why theses two camps (Pland and Sland) are center of the politics section. It is not my intention to instigate another xenophobic behavior, but to find out why other camps fail to get recognition in terms of discussong their political issues. Then the question arises; are most fellows in SOL belong these two camps? I am sorry to be the first to say this about the forum; however, this is the reality that many choose to ignore. After reading the politics section and its settled pattern of clan politics, one would infer that there are few who don’t populate either camp. That is jut my opinion.

walayku aslaam

I am a Somali-Lander, a Punt-Lander, a Northerner, a Southerner and most of all I am Somali. That is why I don’t participate much in political forum. It hurts to see hatred linger among Somalis.

Rokko   

Regional politics is allowed. Let Somalilanders talk na'mean. Let puntlanders talk. Let all people talk about their issues na'mean.

We don't need to make the forum a GITMO ghostown where people can't say anything only because every political discussion will be considered a clan discussion by some. I don't agree with that assertion na'mean. politics is politics na'mean. We all have areas we call home. We all have issue we care about na'mean. It doesn't always have to be a uniform Somali-weyn issue that brings us together na'mean. Our political allegience can get very local while at the same time being pro-Somalia na'mean. let them people talk while respecting the rules na'mean.

follow the rules, state your opinion and get the hell out na'mea.

word.

well, in family, u have sibling rivalries! right! they might make the biggest commotions, however, rest assured, it aint nothing but umbilical cord problems! Amadeyo! u understand the word BUUF!lol! somehow, that is still there!!

it distorts clear vision sometimes!

what i refer to Big somali weeyne is here too! REPRESENT!!! :confused:

Originally posted by Yasmine:

For instance: One particular Somali Weyn supporter dismissed evidence of the genocide against people in Somaliland.... saying something to the effect of 'oh, those bones could belong to anyone'. Now exactly how do such baseless remarks help the Somali Weyn cause? Instead of bringing Somalis together, do they not cause more reason for some to separate themselves from the rest?

Are you talking about me? Did my debate with you in the thread "Jeneraal Maxamed Siciid Xirsi Morgan oo Muqdisha soo gaaray " have a deep impact on you?

I'm putting my foot down on my valid question that those mass graves are truly Somalilanders or maybe West-Somalia refugees.

Your response on my question reminds me of Benjamin Netanyahu. The European Union ask if the wall built by Israelis is just a land grab by Israel and that Israel are the agressors. Benjamin Netanyahu the minister of finance and former PM dismissed the EU's valid question as sick and disheartening.

TRUTH HURTS!!!!

looooooooooooooool@Jaamac....walaahi I got tears in my eyes from laughter..... do you honestly believe that..ahahaha.... GEDIID NOW YOU KNOW WHY I WANTED HIM TO STAY... looooooooooooooool... we're all occupied everyday with places that require us to provide evidence, proof for our words and actions, its nice to have some one who doesn't care about all that....

AYOUB   

Yesmine

Good suggestions, I will try to follow them.

Amadeyo

It is not my intention to instigate another xenophobic behavior, but to find out why other camps fail to get recognition in terms of discussong their political issues.

If you are from one of the other 'camps', you are welcome to add to the discussion anytime you wish. I don't think there is a rationing system to stop us posting here or would you like 4.5 formula applied in here too? :D