Sign in to follow this  
Castro

What disarmament?

Castro   

Somali disarmament begins slowly

By Edmund Sanders

Times Staff Writer

4:19 PM PST, January 2, 2007

MOGADISHU, Somalia — A government-mandated disarmament program here got under way Tuesday without much of a bang.

At one designated weapons drop-off point in the Somali capital, bored-looking Ethiopian soldiers mulled about with little to do. A second collection site, nestled atop a bluff overlooking the Indian Ocean, closed early because "no one showed up," according to a Somali government soldier.

The disarmament program is the first major test of Somalia's transitional government since its troops and Ethiopian allies defeated Islamic fighters and seized control of this capital, a city so awash with guns that most government officials were previously afraid to even visit.

Prime Minister Ali Mohammed Gedi on Monday set a three-day deadline for gun collection, threatening to use force after that to pacify the city.

But if Tuesday's turnout was any indication, the government is facing a steep challenge in convincing Mogadishu residents to part with their weapons. The campaign is also reigniting long-standing clan rivalries and distrust, which are certain to play a big part in the nation's turnaround.

Ever since the government announced the disarmament program, the streets have been abuzz with debate over whether it will succeed. Though most support disarmament in theory, those with guns call it a Catch-22 situation: The government wants to round up weapons before dispatching more soldiers in the capital, while residents don't want to give up their guns until they're assured that troops can keep the peace.

The presence of Ethiopian soldiers, who helped chase off the Islamists, only complicate the issue. The two nations have a history of warfare and many Somalis fear that the Ethiopians are attempting to occupy their country.

"I will never give my gun to the Ethiopians," said one young man, who like many did not want to be identified for fear that the government might come and take his gun. "They are the enemy."

Others cited financial considerations. Assault rifles and machine guns in Mogadishu range from several hundred dollars to several thousand, representing the largest single asset many families own. For thousands of young men, carrying a gun and working as a militia member or security guard are the only job prospects available. But the government is not offering cash in exchange for the guns.

As a result, prices for weapons at Mogadishu's gun market plummeted in recent days as gun owners rush to sell their weapons rather than give them away to the government. AK-47 assault rifles dropped from $300 to $120.

Last June, the Islamic courts became the first local authority to sharply reduce the number of arms in the Mogadishu in nearly 16 years. Rather than collecting the weapons themselves, the courts set up regional, clan-based authorities to collect guns from their fellow clansmen.

But when Islamists fled Mogadishu a week ago, they opened their weapons stockpiles to the public, once again flooding the city with guns.

The current disarmament campaign is sparking familiar clan distrust. Most residents in Mogadishu are members of the ****** clan, considered Somalia's largest. But many ****** subclans, including the subclans of several warlords and Islamist leaders, are deeply skeptical of the transitional government. They say it's unfair to disarm Mogadishu without also collecting the guns from the rest of Somalia. ****** fear they will become vulnerable to attacks by other clans.

"I'm keeping my gun," said a 33-year-old former Islamic court official. "They should disarm the entire country at the same time."

He and other ****** also complained that President Abdullahi Yusuf is a member of the *****, another major clan based originally in the north. ***** and ****** began fighting over control of Mogadishu after the 1991 fall of military dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. In the end, many ***** were killed or driven out of their homes. Now ****** in Mogadishu fear Yusuf, who has spoken disparagingly about their clan in the past, will use the disarmament program to take retribution.

"He's trying to favor his own people," said the former Islamic court official.

Clan experts say the government must first demonstrate that it is neutral before clan rivals will trust it.

"The only language the government can use to unite the clans of Somalia is to restore peace and order through justice and equality," said Sharif Mohamed Ali, an elder with the small Ashraf clan, which in the past has avoided the clan wars.

LA Times

Dhubad.   

^You see this whole thing is a game, three days to disarm a city washed with Guns for 16 yrs is not logic and that shows you how incompetent this government is.

Wax aan waxba aqoon ayaa horjooge noo ah!

Castro   

At one designated weapons drop-off point in the Somali capital, bored-looking Ethiopian soldiers mulled about with little to do.
A second collection site, nestled atop a bluff overlooking the Indian Ocean, closed early because "no one showed up," according to a Somali government soldier

The first test for the "government"? Grade: F. LOOOOOL.

Last June, the Islamic courts became the first local authority to sharply reduce the number of arms in the Mogadishu in nearly 16 years. Rather than collecting the weapons themselves, the courts set up regional, clan-based authorities to collect guns from their fellow clansmen.

You never know how good you have it until you don't have it anymore.

The current disarmament campaign is sparking familiar clan distrust. Most residents in Mogadishu are members of the ****** clan, considered Somalia's largest. But many ****** subclans, including the subclans of several warlords and Islamist leaders, are deeply skeptical of the transitional government. They say it's unfair to disarm Mogadishu without also collecting the guns from the rest of Somalia. ****** fear they will become vulnerable to attacks by other clans.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, .....

Wiilo   

WHO ARE GOING TO TRUST ETHIOPIAN TROOPS + WARLORDS? NO ONE, NO ONE IS GOING TO HAND OVER THEIR WEAPONS TO TIGREE + WARLORDS PERIOD.

GO FIGURE:...........

Taliban   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

somae of you people should stop with the business of discussions and debate and join that of prophesizing.

I see you are giving those "somae of" us an order. As you have already concluded, those "somae of" us are terrorists; what are you waiting for? Isn't your duty to report us to the DHS?

somae of you people should stop with the business of discussions and debate and join that of prophesizing. I see a lot of Miss cleos in the making.

None of the above commentators claim to possess paranormal abilities! None have asserted to have obtained their information from spirits. To equate their take of Somali politics to that of psychic experience is thereof a desperate and feeble act to dodge the issues debated here yaa NN.

You have many options here saaxiib from which you have the liberty to choose without embarrassing yourself. You could be a silent reader and choose not to comment at all. Alternatively you could choose to engage and debate in a rational way without resorting to issue ineffective and pretentious orders. Of course I am assuming that you possess a little more decorum than some of your fellow Ethiopian supporters here!

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

You have many options here saaxiib from which you have the liberty to choose without embarrassing yourself. You could be a
silent reader
and choose not to comment at all.

Xiinow, I think he went for the silent reader option. I hope he sticks to it. :D

there you go again castro, with your predections. Can you please tell where you got the crystal ball, I need to get one ASAP.

Xiin, though i am for the most part a silent reader, the lack of any substance in the discussions here forces me to say what I have said in the hope that it may steer some what can only described as sensationalist or hyperbolic. also, I did or do not believe i ordered anyone but just suggested. As for your second suggestion, that is exactly here for yet it is becoming more and more rer to find a a discussion worthwhile to engage in. For example, you say that I am a member of some ethiopian supporters group. We both know that I am not, and I am not aware of anybody on this forum that is. So purpose do these name calling serve. I know, I know you think I am guilty of this when I call members of the UIC or CUI, or MMI terrorist but are they not. For good sake they member who are international list of terrorist all the way up to aweys. Also, why do you find it so difficult to believe that there are Somalis who only through reason, not for the support of clan or ethiopians, who believe the government is justified in what it is doing to stabilize the country?

Ms DD   

^^

"For good sake they member who are international list of terrorist all the way up to aweys."

In that case, it must be true then. We shouldall take the words of Bush as gospel, shouldnt we?.

when did BUsh starting making international list of terrorist? Aweys is in both the list of the US and the UN.

I think you are better of sticking with your *********; Posting triple greeny Grins nooh...wait you are too ******* for this paragraph.

Let me show you what i mean: :D:D:D [sidatan waaye waxan ka waday,Mr *******]

Baliis aflagaada jooji.

[ January 03, 2007, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Fanisha   

when did BUsh starting making international list of terrorist? Aweys is in both the list of the US and the UN.

Can you tell me the difference between the UN and the US? :confused:

FYI Bush is the bigest terrorist in the world.

juba   

^there's a BIG difference btw the UN n US (purpose) although its hard to see because the UN can be a bit submissive to the US

on the disarmament issue...its a joke..no1 will comply