Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Infantile happiness—The tale of Riyale’s visit to London.

Sophist   

Infantile happiness—The tale of Riyale’s visit to London.

The festive smiles descended those who were demonstrating on the 17th of March; most seemed as though they expected this to be the D Day; the day they will make their mark on the world stage. The “state visit” as some dubbed it was indeed reduced something of a second rate musician paying visit to his meagre fans in the House of Commons. If such a visit was nearly to be anything “semi-official” (as many supporters would like us to believe) then it would indeed be inapt for the ministers concerned not to show up for symbolic photo shoots with Mr Riyaale; perhaps Mr Benn and Mr Straw were occupied with more noteworthy matters—I was told the Honourable Gentleman Mr Benn: the Secretary State of overseas development (or some such) was off to Wilshire hunting; whereas Mr Straw attended his Oxonian son’s birthday at that exclusive restaurant the Ivy. Surely the delights of seeing an “exotic” Head of State would have spared them from such trivial enjoyment of hunting and good food. With assurance they would indeed spare time to see him if they regarded Mr Riyaale any such but truth of the matter is that such regard has never been thought of my fellow countryman Mr Riyale who was indeed travelling with Somali passport—the ironic politicking of our fellow Hargeisa politicians is staggering to say the least- where some of his colleagues were in hold of foreign passports ranging from Dannish to American; some would undoubtedly say this is an international government.

Triviality aside, to add an insult to injury our fellow Somaliland (SL) supports would like us to belief that the inconsequential backbench MPs whose diaries had been empty for donkeys of years are men who would deliver them to glory. What a pity. The gentlemen of Banbury and Hardgate, Clydebank Mr Tony Baldry and Tony Worthington respectively. The first having dubious personality of which one can safely say is ominous than that of his party colleague the disgraced Lord Archer (well admired writer and socialite networker; he should have stuck with what he knows best). The other not so shady but indeed gloom had beset him since he was demoted from his last post Minster of Ireland—where he did a very poor job. When I last spoke to him weeks ago, he struck me like an old lion tired of peaceful life and hungry for an adventure. He pretends to be some sort of blue blood having acquired thick husky accent that reminds you of Boris Johnson MP of Henley and editor of Telegraph but not as clever or as pure blooded as him. I was awestruck when he answered a question I have asked him. His response was one that oozed with self-assurance that artful man can detect it to be a false attire that men naked of self-confidence would wear. He assumed his most posh accent like I would run sheepishly; “Sir, I care the plight of Somaliland people because I happen to believe in liberty and political self-determination”. Of course as you can guess my question was ;What prompted him to go to Hargeisa only; why did he not visit Sool and Sanaag which of course the Hargeisa administration claims to be part of Somaliland.

After reading The Political Animal written by that self-assured man Mr Paxman of the BBC; I was equipped to deal with this self-haughtiness. My retort of course was one that lasted nearly half an hour; I shan’t bore you my dear reader to the exact sentences we exchanged. But my meagre trained mind was predisposed to unearth why these two men would indeed be much interested in “Somaliland”. The first man is known to be a clever merchant. He has his claws in many troubled countries in Africa. The chap is just trying to get on the game as it were. Where the other less insidious chap is perhaps influenced by Trollope’s writings and those adventures which men like Richard Burton speak of (of course largely most of his writings on Somalis is at bare minimum a heresy). He is getting on, age is creeping in and the sunny environment he had seen in the Horn would spare him the pain of living dreary England (only if We Somalis valued our land as this chap has done; during our conversation, he spoke highly about the climate, the people and how terrible it is to loose all these to lawlessness); of course any man with their right mind would exchange cold with warm weather.

Anyhow, what has come of those celebratory smiles I first opened in my lines? I tell you my reader. They faded into the thin air never to be re-lived if the smilees can gain experience from this bitter incident. The organisers has so artlessly, unselfconsciously sold the demonstration that I even nearly believed them. I think they may even believed it themselves. The cavalier convention ended with Riyaale being given a shoddy platform to plead his inauspicious plea which of course fall into the satiated men who will just retell the stories in their luxuriant dinner parties—I wish those Somalis would know the life style of the middle-classes; this whole thing is a jolly well spend time to them; something they shall come up with to impress their friends when they sip Earl Grey tea in places like Savoy, Dorchester or other such coffee houses they congregate in.

What would have become of this lot-Somaliland (clan entity). It is like those infamously contemptible Somali “models” who conjure up fantastic tales to bemuse those foreigners; but worst still these lot don’t confine their fantasy on their old masters; but the fantasy had become unceasing they themselves become faithful to it—like those women who created the concept of love to beguile men; only later to become victims of it. It is sad for them; their arguments are absorbingly amusing for the objective reader. Anyone who have read about the report of the Commons would agree to it; where those two plead on behalf of their potential clients in front of their colleagues; they say these men had fought with us in wars against the Europeans. This is classic haughtiness and the utter superiority of the upper echelons of this society; they are far removed from reality to utter such politically archaic remarks. They heed none to political connotations so far as they feel happy about its delivery. “It is the delivery that matters not message” said their greatest of all.By Allah, I have been embarrassed to hear such arguments. Even worse the SL supporters give credence to this as some sort of lacklustre historical significance; it ties them with the old masters said one while back while we enjoying-ly speculated about the arrival of Mr Riyale in London. This man who have significance erudition is so blinded he can not see how inane this whole thing is.

Wrapping up, the trip most SL supporters expected them to deliver them ships of honey are docked empty where the rust eats away in that threadbare place they all sipping what had left of fizzing drinks.

Oh Well, my Allah Keep us on the Straigh Path.

AYOUB   

Sophist from reading that article I conclude you've been rattled by recent events. If you had a chance to listen to the Silanyo v H Hussein debate you would have heard him say, before a country gets diplomatic recognition, it gets diplomatic acknowledgement and this week I believe Somaliland is between the two. I've read you boastful name-dropping article without understanding why you bothered writing it in the first place. Tonight I expected to find nomads discussing the death of at least 80 Somalis (and 100 injured) in mindless fighting near Dhuusamareeb but it seems you are too intelligent for that.

nite nite

Warmoog   

Sophist,

Of the numerous nouns that come to mind when one thinks of you, ‘intelligent’ is among the more positive ones. Nonetheless, you never fail to disappoint. For one so gifted with words – however necessary or needless - and who appears to have such boundless energy with which to belittle the accomplishments of his political opponents, when it comes to initiating something beyond the typical anti-Somaliland rhetoric, you’re as bankrupt as the less eloquent Somali Weyn spokesmen of SOL. I tell you this not as an insult, but as a potentially helpful suggestion.

Believe it or not, most here are not swayed by mere criticism – however, blunt or flowery the language. By pointing to every flaw in Somaliland(ers), regardless of how valid or hyperbolized, you come across as one devoid of genuine concern for all Somalis. If you think you’re doing the Somali Weyn ideology justice, brother, I suggest you think again.

As far as I’m concerned, those who sit back and have nothing but praise for Somaliland while they ignore its flaws are hypocrites. And likewise, those who have nothing but criticism for Somaliland while they ignore its accomplishments are hypocrites. Time after time, you’ve criticized Somaliland and those who support it. Yet, not once have I seen you acknowledging its achievements. Worse yet, not once have I seen you initiate a positive discussion - free of deep-seated prejudice and poorly disguised malice - about how to bring Somaliland back into the folds of Somali Weyn. After all, do the prime concerns of those who adhere to your political ideology not lie in ‘uniting Somalis’?

I’m assuming it’s obvious there're two types of Somali Weyn supporters on this site: the genuine ones and the hypocrites in disguise who use ‘Somali Weyn’ to mask their hate for Somaliland(ers). I’m also assuming you’re one of the former, but if I’m wrong I can only advice you to come out of the closet. Moving on…

Next time, before your fingers start clacking away at the keywords and you formulate yet another idea with which to put old thoughts into new words, I suggest you try to bring something new to the table. The typical - or should I say expected - anti-Somaliland rhetoric being churned out by you and those in your camp is merely adding to the increasing monotony of the politics section.

Good luck. smile.gif

PS – I’m not a fortuneteller, but seeing as how your moves in the virtual chess game of SOL politics have become a little more than predicable, I’ll kindly ask you not to respond to this with your usual ‘I don’t discuss politics with women’ attitude… it’s getting a little old.

Salaama.

Sophist   

Oh well sister I am left without a jot of breath alas as mind-numbing as it may be; due to my personal custom I won’t indulge you my darling; you are above from this sadistic subject of politics. :cool: But since you are cut above the rest (this is a genuine accolade) I shall make one issue rather clear.

The above writing was merely an illustrative piece which the author had intended to review in humourous mood what had taken place on the day in question. No much energy was employed, with assurence I have written that run of the mill piece with no more than three quarter of an hour—it was delightful to write such review without much labour. I fancy myself as social commentator and as such I comment on social events; especially those some might have excessive emotional ties to it. If you don't like it a bit OKAY go right ahead sue me icon_razz.gif

Ayoub: Whatever you say my Boy.

Cheerio.

Rokko   

Yasmine, ya have hinted to be "impartial" before when you were confronted by Jamac_Bootaan so let me ask ya some questions.

1. What is your take on the Somali regions that don't want to be part of Somaliland. I am talking about Sool, Sanaag and Cayn.

2. Have ya ever paid attention to the filth from the likes of Oodweyne and other landers? Ever Responded to them? Ever questioned their rationale of wanting to force others (SS&H) to accept Somaliland?

We should all wait for your answer.

Warmoog   

Originally posted by Sophist:

I fancy myself as social commentator and as such I comment on social events; especially those some might have excessive emotional ties to it.

Well, I think that explains why - at least to me - the majority of the piece is reminiscent of those journalists on certain Somali ‘news’ sites who, when interviewing people, ask leading questions in order to get the answers they want and, thus, paint pictures in accordance with their own views on whatever issue is being discussed. Anyway, I don’t mean to sound harsh; then again, the content of one’s writing is always open for critique here. But I think you already know that… smile.gif

Originally posted by Mobb_Deep:

1. What is your take on the Somali regions that don't want to be part of Somaliland? I am talking about Sool, Sanaag and Cayn.

Mobb,

Based on my understanding, those 3 regions are within the boundaries of Somaliland and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somaliland is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they were once recognized. With that said, however, the situation is obviously not the same as it was in 1960. And since there're people who don't want to be a part of Somaliland, then I think it would be best if the leaders of that region tried to resolve that issue before seeking recognition. The manner in which it should be done is something I’ve never really given considerable thought to and would rather not examine at the moment.

Originally posted by Mobb_Deep:

2. Have ya ever paid attention to the filth from the likes of Oodweyne and other landers? Ever responded to them? Ever questioned their rationale of wanting to force others (SS&H) to accept Somaliland?

First of all, let’s not draw uninvolved third parties into this by dropping names. Have I seen the posts made by some Somalilanders? Yes. Do I respond to them? No, not specifically. Now you can stop right here and accuse me of holding double standards or you can ask why. If you don’t mind me answering a question you didn’t ask, I’ll try to explain why as briefly as I can. In my view, there is a clear distinction between what the Separatists and the Somali Weyn supporters claim to represent. Based on the nature of their political aspirations alone, it’s obvious the separatists are rejecting Somali nationalism, as it was once known. After all, they’re making efforts to form their own country and, consequently, have invented their own brand of nationalism. In keeping with the exclusivity of separatism, I think their tactics lie not only in rejecting the idea of ‘Greater Somalia’, but also pushing away (the views of) those who represent it. That’s what many landers do here - with varying degrees of intensity (although some of the radicals are not helping their cause) – I’m not surprised by it… in fact, it’s somewhat expected.

On the other hand, although it occurs repeatedly, what never fails to puzzle me is the manner in which many of the Somali Weyn supporters push back. Instead of upholding the supposedly inclusive principles of their ideology, which claims to seek the unity of all Somalis, they often express their distaste in separatism by antagonizing, belittling, ridiculing, etc., the Somalilanders. I find this baffling… thinking; do they not realize their tactics are counter-productive? When you do such things to a group of people who’re already counting the number of reasons they shouldn’t be a part of you, you’re giving them even more reasons to chart their own course. In my humble opinion, some of the more outspoken Somali Weyn supporters need to reflect on the consequences of their tactics. You can’t push people away with one hand and try to pull them in with the other. It simply doesn’t work. Moreover, it doesn’t do justice to the political philosophy you’re claiming to represent. This is merely the point I was trying to get across to brother Sophist.

Salaama.

Sophist   

Some of the chaps here have been around for donkeys of years; it is hard to pull the wool over their eyes.

May Allah make our intentions as pure as the Water of Zamzam.

guraad   

Yasmine said (( Based on my understanding, those 3 regions are within the boundaries of Somaliland and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somaliland is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they were once recognized. ))

Guraad says (( Based on my understanding, somaliland is within the boundaries of Somalia and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somalia is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they are intenationaly recognized. ))

Rokko   

lol@Sophist. I understand bro. it is amazing walaahi.

lol@Guraad, the oldest nomad on this forum has spoken. I hope sista Yasmine reads your comment and responds to it na'mean. Abviously there are some logical flaws and inconsistencies in her innocent argument.

we wait for her rebuttal na'mean. :D

By the way, where is Sammurai? The great warrior darwiish is missing. I hope he reads what sista Yasmine wrote. lol

Saalixa   

Yasmine sis i don't understand why you are wasting you energy, trying to explain all those things when the poster only wrote such pitiful, lame, unamusing irony.

for eg

Triviality aside, to add an insult to injury our fellow Somaliland (SL) supports would like us to belief that the inconsequential backbench MPs whose diaries had been empty for donkeys of years are men who would deliver them to glory.

where is the irony in that?

After reading The Political Animal written by that self-assured man Mr Paxman of the BBC; I was equipped to deal with this self-haughtiness. My retort of course was one that lasted nearly half an hour; I shan’t bore you my dear reader to the exact sentences we exchanged. But my meagre trained mind was predisposed to unearth why these two men would indeed be much interested in “Somaliland”. The first man is known to be a clever merchant.

which contradicts:

Oh Well, my Allah Keep us on the Straigh Path.

How would one expect Allah's blessing to come moutning down on them after stating such atrocious words belittling his (alaah's) creaions? and yet you say you respect all human beings created by god? Come through me again , your applications of sarcasm and ironic dialogue surely reflects your perceptions and notions of those who you think as infidels, but who merely try and do what's right and benifiting those less fortunate than them while you sit back in your swivelling chair behind your screen full of contempt and disdain MR know it all sophist, contributing nothing to the peace establishment in somaliland or somali or where ever there are beings, i imply that you keep quite for you have no power to judge or mock on others for their good hard work.

Sophist   

Oh Mob Deep my fellow, these young minds are not as blank as one might would like think of them being so. As we have showed our political ideas don't stem from sentiments but indeed a deep-seated rationalistic political suaveness is in the way we write. Only if I could say the same thing about these unworthy opponents. With greatest hope as time goes by our rivals would indeed develop ingratiatingly—or so I hope in cheerless mood. icon_razz.gif

What happen to Mr Oodweyne? He is the only man worth discussing out of this lot. :D

Nabad

Paragon   

Yasmine's perspective

Based on my understanding, those 3 regions are within the boundaries of Somaliland and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somaliland is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they were once recognized.

Versus

Guraad's perspective

Based on my understanding, somaliland is within the boundaries of Somalia and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somalia is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they are intenationaly recognized.

Hmmm! :confused:

Macalin   

GURAAD:

Based on my understanding, somaliland is within the boundaries of Somalia and I don’t think anyone’s disputing that fact. So I can understand why the admin in Somalia is trying to maintain the integrity of the borders upon which they are intenationaly recognized

Guraad Well said son....But..but.. but theres no Admin in somalia, i mean there is like 23 of them...so which admin are u reffering to. :D

On the other hand,How does SL want to separate when the former gvt is in shambles?, i mean by international rule,doesnt the 'greater' country have to sign a deal and let go the separatist nation?, its clear,simple rule....the country from which u wanna separate from has to sign a paper that says 'ok here we are letting you go'..well not in that simple language but something along the lines. Case in head: ERITRIA ....Who is the LEGAL ADVISOR for SL?

Anywhoo..i wanna talk abt Bush-Kerry, can the ADMIN give this case a NEW THREAD?

Yasmine: You WWrite so well that i miss your message :D You have Emotion in your messages-can you SKIM the emotion out?

Kowneyn   

Jamaal-11:

Guraad's contention is technically speaking wrong at many levels and from different angles as well. For example, the state that was called the Somali Republic has ceased to exist...Second, this state was formed by two independent states--Somaliland and Somalia...third "Somalia" currently has no administration and we could keep going.

Kowneyn