Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

The Somali Oil

Fyr   

Any Comments On This Quote?

Oil is always more important than people for the West; it always has been that way. Case in point Somalia and Somaliland, one of the reason why Somaliland is not being recognized even after people vote for independence from the rest of Somalia is that oil is in the North(Somaliland) and oil contracts are signed in Somalia.

Abdul, USA

NGONGE   

I have not followed this subject and do not have enough information about its validity. However, if as the articles claim, there is oil in parts of Somalia, the West will strive to reconcile all parts of the old Somalia to persevere with unity. A precedent has already been set in Sudan where the war between the government and the rebels of the south has more or less ceased because of OIL. The Sudanese government agreed to give the South more autonomy and the South seems to be happy with this arrangement. It’s strange that after more than twenty years of fighting for freedom the South has yielded so easily. But, oil is oil I suppose and politicians on both sides have seen the benefits such a valuable commodity would bring to their people. Would the Somali politicians have the same foresight? I somehow doubt it.