Sign in to follow this  
BOB

Who Do You Think Is Africa's Best Player Of All Time?

Intel   

Originally posted by Viking:

rokko,

I think it was Anthony Yeboah.

Viking sax thats the dude, whatever happened to him he seemed to just disappeared?

Viking   

Viking Sxb, most of those players in that team were not even established players yet and I am referring to the likes of Didier Dechamps, Marcel Desailly and Allen Boksic, they all became super stars after they came to Italy, do you honestly want to say that Desailly or Dechamps were world class players before they came to AC and Juve respectively or Bocsic before he came to Juve?

BOB,

There's a difference between TALENTED and ESTABLISHED. If you look back at what I said earlier, you'll realised taht I used the word talented. Boksic, Deschamps, Desailly, Angloma and were very talented then, why else would Juve, Milan and Inter (respectively) pay for their services?

Abedi Pele was born in 1962, while Desailly and Deschamps were born 1968. Pele was 31 when he won the Champions League with Marseille while Deschamps and Desailly were only 25 years old. That explains why people came to know about them later on (while playing in Italy), they were SIX years his junior and won most of their trophies while in Italy.

Even George Weah had world class players all around him and when I say world class I am talking about established players all over the pitch from the goalie Rossi all the way to Dejan Savicevic, we are talking about the AC Milan that left the great Roberto Baggio on the bench.

Now this is where you are mistaken sxb! I knew Weah was a GREAT player before he even joined Milan. He was even more of a wizard when he played for Monaco and PSG, until Milan bought him in 1995/96. He won his World best Player award the same year, he was noticed by everyone because he played for one of the biggest teams in Europe.

While playing in Italy, he didn't even do half the tricks he did during his years in France. He played in France for 7 years and only 4 years in Italy.

by the way Viking,you chose George Weah before Abedi Pele and i was i wondering if it's because Weah played for your team Ac Milan? Just asking Sxb

Absolutely not! Zidane has been my absolute favourite player the last 7 years or so and he played for Juve and Real, the fiercest rivals of Milan and Braca, two of my favourite teams.

I'm not the kind of fan who praises a team even when they are crap just because I support them. I like Milan because of their offensive style of football, that's the same reason Barca and Ajax are my two other fav teams in Europe. There aren't any three teams that are as entertaining (or have been the past 10 years) and exciting to watch as those three, be honest now, are there?

Viking   

Viking sax thats the dude, whatever happened to him he seemed to just disappeared?

He played in the Bundesliga with Hamburg for a few years and then went to the Middle East where he just faded away. That dude had a mean strike!

I said george weah but I am surprised nobody mentioned samuel Eto'o, I think he is really good especially if they with la liga this yr. which they are going to off course.

Viking   

But who is the best TODAY???

PlayMaker,

I think Northerner had asked this previously. I would say...

Eto'o (Barca and Cameroon)

Drogba (Chelsea and Ivory Coast)

Toure (Ars and Ivory Coast)

Idris Kameni (Espanyol and Cameroon goalie)

Obafemi Martins (Inter and Nigeria)

Michael Essien (Lyon and Ghana - Arsenal among other top sides are said to be chasing him for 17m pounds :eek: )

BOB   

Viking,

You tried but unfortunately you will never ever make me believe Weah is Better than Abedi Pele but i respect your choice 120%.

Peace, Love & Unity.

mojam   

#1 George Weah ...just amazing... doesn't even look at the goal when he shoots.

#2 The first time i saw was in World Cup 94 with a sucky Cameroon team that was down 6-0 to a sucky Russia team, where this 40 year old guy managed to pull one back.

#3 Did anybody mention N. Kanu yet?

I must say Kanu is definately one of the best african player ever. that is before he got the heart problem. I remember him with an Ajax team filled with stars such as Jari Litmannen & Patrick Kluivert where he showed that he as talented as them. I saw with a Nigeria team that was full of superstars in World Cup 94 and the Atlanta Olymic games where he scored a great goal and led Nigiria to win the gold medal.

Emperor   

Sxb if is to tell who watched what and not who read or heard what, then I can simply add best African players I witnessed playing on the ground.

For me, the Abedi you mentioned is someone that I'm not aware of, and never watched before, may be i joined the footbal passion late last year.

But to reveal, the African talents I saw play on ground include:

1 - Ahmed Bahdja - Morocco

2 - Patrick Mboma - Cameroon

3 - Jay Jay Okocha - Nigeria

4 - Hazim Imam - Egypt

Cheers

NGONGE   

Originally posted by BOB:

Ngonge,

Sxb, if Diego hadn't won the World Cup with Argentina do you think people would even remember him? Football is all about trophies Sxb that is what fans like us would remember for a player and not for a few predictable tricks that anybody can do...Jay Jay Okocha is a One Trick Wonder...The StepOver while Abedi Pele had bundles of tricks and oh yes Abedi Pele was far better freekick taker than Jay Jay will ever be..Shall I Go On?
;)

here is Abedi Pele's Story

Peace, Love & Unity.

Please do, saaxib. I'm not convinced yet you see.

PS

Diego was a great player way before he won the world cup, saaxib. That, was only the icing on the cake. :D

BOB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Diego was a great player way before he won the world cup, saaxib. That, was only the icing on the cake.
:D

Diego hit the jackpot only when he arrived in the land of Pasta and beautiful women in other words NAPOLI.

as far as Barca fans are concerned El pibe de oro' was a failure and apparently his love for the Barcelona city night life was the final nail on his coffin but in truth Diego put the club president's patience to an ultimate test and the president finally cracked out of embarrassment more than anything else when Diego started a brawl in King's Cup final match against Athletico Bilbao in front of the King himself and his family because few months earlier Diego broke his ankle after a Bilbao defender tackled him from behind and the ref just waved play on to Diego's disgust and wouldn't you know the same player tried his luck on the same ankle that he broke few months earlier and that was all Diego needed to start more than 30 people brawl right in front of the King of Spain so NGONGE most Barca fans don't even know that Maradona ever played for their team, I guess that is why there is no single Maradona memorabilia to be found in Barcelona Football Club shop at Camp Nou.

my point is Diego became a house hold name when he came to Italy and won Napoli their first ever championship icon_razz.gif have you ever heard about the world famous banner that the Napoli fans put on the city cemetary? "They Don't Know What They Are Missing" that is what it read.. funny yeah..LooooooooL.

NGONGE,

Which team do you support anyway and please don't even think about saying Chelsea because that is all you hear these days especially among the Somalis and don't be ashamed to say Liverpool because they "USED" to be the kings of England back in the day when my Mom and Dad were courting ;) and the fans are still basking on their former glory like my man Northerner here.

(i bet Northerner thinks we are still in the 80's :D:D )

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

bar5.jpg

Maradona was a great player before he came to Italy, saaxib. He played his first game for his country at the age of 16! He won the youth world cup! He won the league with Boca. He was voted South American player of the year TWICE! All that before he even joined Barca. They bought him for a world record fee (back then). Won the league and cup for them in his first season. People were calling for him to play in the 1978 world cup!! He played in the 82 world cup in Spain just as he joined Barca and got sent off (I watched that game LIVE). His best time was of course with Napoli but he was already a great player before they even bought him.

I'm a LIVERPOOL fan of course, saaxib. Keegan? hmmmm..King Kenny..arrrgh..Barnes..hmmmm..jumpers for goal posts...haaaaa!

You?

BOB   

I know Maradona was a good player before he came to Europe and yep i know that he won La Liga and Copa Del Rey with Barca but they didn't adore him as much as they adore Ronaldinho today because Diego was always in the news for the wrong reasons and i think that is why the fans didn't even bother to mention his name when one newspaper asked them to choose their all time Barca greats but i said he became a household name only after he came to Italy and i am sure his game improved a whole lot as well because we know that the best leagues in the world are european leagues.

ARSENAL: The Only Team In The Premier League That Can Score A Goal In Just 12 Seconds. that is my team Sxb..and yeah i know we are having a nightmare sort of season but still our season is whole lot better than Liverpool's, wouldn't you agree Sxb?

on Tuesday Insha Allah, we will avenge our painful defeat to the most boring team in entire Premier league :mad: :mad: in our beloved Highbury, so make sure you tune in to watch that game other wise you will miss another Henry Vintage Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal. ;) .

have a nice weekend Sxb...Good Night.

Peace, Love & Unity.