Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

MOVE THE CAPITAL FROM MOGADISHU?

By Dr. Mahamud M. Yahye

(Former Deputy Mayor of Mogadishu)

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

There is currently a heated debate as to where Somalia’s fledgling Transitional National Federal Government (TNFG) should re-locate to after leaving Nairobi, Kenya, where it has been situated since its formation nearly six months ago. Due to security considerations, the TNFG has actually decided to move, for the time being, to a more peaceful place inside our homeland, namely, to the cities of Baidoa and Jowhar, instead of chaotic Mogadishu. As a Somali citizen and a former Deputy Mayor of Mogadishu, I wholeheartedly support this decision, and I’ve on several occasions advocated, on the BBC Somali Service and other forums, that the TNFG should not go back to Mogadishu at the present time. I’m still of that opinion for reasons that I’ll enumerate later on.

However, before I explain why lawless Mogadishu cannot be the seat of our central government, let me make, as a preface, an important point. Contrary to what some misinformed, fanatical and tribal-minded people think, modern Mogadishu was not built with the gold, diamond, petroleum and other enormous natural wealth it posses, because it has none of that. (Because of this seriously flawed misconception, some of these fanatics believe both Mogadishu and its natives are superior to the rest of Somalia’s people and its cities. This explains why Somalia’s first president, after the collapse of Siad Barre’s regime, the former hotelier, Ali Mahdi, was said to have replied when asked why he had unilaterally installed himself as President in January 1991 upon Barre’s sudden departure: “We control Mogadishu which is the most important place, and I don’t care about the rest of the country.†But Mogadishu actually prospered because, in the first 30 years of Somalia’s independence, we, the Somalis of all clans, had poured all our wealth – both public and private, as well as financial and human – into that city to the detriment of other cities and regions of the country. Simply put, we were practically a one city State and we tried to develop Mogadishu and to equip it with all the necessary infrastructure of a modern state while basically neglecting the rest of the country’s other cities and towns. And mind you, most of the wealth with which we built Mogadishu were funds that we obtained from other nations either as donations or loans which future generations of Somalis will have to struggle with repaying them for years to come. (At present, the foreign debts of penniless Somalia stand at a staggering US $2.688 billion, a good part of which was spent by the previous governments on Mogadishu and its basic infrastructure like its modern sea port which has remained idle for years due to the infighting between the city’s warlords).

Read on.

No, no, no!

This guy hasn't provided enough reasons to move Somalia's capital from its historic place. His opinion seemed very lop-sided and is obviously the product of a man who's bent on pushing forth Col Yeey's agenda (posted on AllPuntland.com, of course!).

If he'd said that any future Somali Federal Republic should have three capitals (executive, legislative and judicial - like the South African model) I would've supported him, had Muqdisho been guaranteed the privilege to house the executive branch. We can't make such a big national decision with Muqdisho in today's current state of affairs. That's unfair to the historic city, to its legacy on Somali national life and politics, and to the people of the city and Soomaaliwayn in general. I'm still of the opinion that most Somalis still favor Muqdisho to remain Somalia's capital. I can't tell whether or not its the uncanny relationship we have with the city or the fact that its the ONLY Somali national capital we've ever known.

Baashi   

Dr. Yahye is mixing several things together. Surely, he knows that one of the consequences of civil wars is development stagnation. Prolonged civil wars beget anarchy and anarchy begets economic stagnation. Public institutions are impacted big time. To point the potholes and deterioration of public facilities is very disingenuous of him.

Having said that, Mogadishu clearly has security problem and the TFG Mogadishu faction don’t deny that. The point of contention is how the security problem can be successfully resolved. On this point, the TFG Mogadishu faction is dead wrong. They oppose Abdullahi and hence all his proposals right or wrong. First, they had issue with frontline states for obvious reasons. When that hurdles is passed, they turned 180 degree and questioned the FTs by making the case that they will make Mogadishu safe enough for the TFG to do business for the country.

As of today, roadblocks increased in number, the ports are not open, militia clans have not made up their differences, “Maxkamadaha†have refused to take part in the whole effort. Any reasonable person (forget about the cheerleaders and doomsayers) can see through the incompetence of these men as far as the security of Mogadishu is concerned. A lot of ego, business interest, and power that cannot be reconciled are involved in this. Only outside, unbiased, nuetral, and independent force can deal with the disarmament issue. Abdullahi cannot operate in Jowhar without reigniting the civil war.

I don’t think anyone (significant folk), as far as I know, denies the need:

a) to secure Mogadishu,

b) of independent disarmament personnel whom armed factions can trust with their weapons,

c) of genuine reconciliation in which all the properties be private or public are returned to their rightful owners.

Abdullahi is not the man for this job (reconciliation period). I know his supporters are full of him and any criticism however justified is akin to blasphemy. But the fact of the matter is the man has made blunder after blunder. Let me break it down for all of you (especially Xiin).

1. He made promises he couldn’t keep to men who can block the TFG’s effort. In politics, one must be careful to distinguish the masses from shrewd political party bosses. Public has very short span of memory and generally are forgiving in most cases whereas politicians are very opportunistic and he who double crosses them will pay later in one form or the other. In the Nairobi run up election, a lot of deals have been made under the table, hands have exchanged bundles of money and men of political ambition have reached some sort of understanding. It has been said that Qanyare, Ceydiid, and Abdullahi had reached understanding as to how the chart of political power would like after the election is won. Abdullahi has not kept his word and frankly could not.

2. FTs issue. There are a lot of persisting rumors. But let’s stick with the facts for a moment. Abdullahi single-handedly made the decision. Most of the delegates found out the details of the FTs in Addis Ababa. Many significant power players have not been consulted with nor asked their consent as government ministers and parliament members. Most of them heard the news from mobile calls made by the delegates. This is not how powerless, yet-to be reconcilled, and exile government in the post conflict period supposed to behave.

3. Abdullahi played the most important card he had at his disposal prior the game. The only card he has at his disposal was the enhanced political standing he has gained from the outcome of the Nairobi conference. As president-elect he has the privilege of conversing with the head of states especially with front-line states and IGAD member states. The first thing he requested from them was the FTs agenda. He has not made the effort necessary to pass the resolution first. He could’ve asked the parliament to do so by withholding the cabinet ministers nominations. He could’ve used that carrot as the incentive for his agenda.

4. Every time he opens his mouth, he alienates one segment of the population. He sure doesn’t sound presidential. He sound combative, arrogant, confrontational, and undiplomatic. I've always wondered what his advisers do whenever he makes a blunder in speeches and interviews.

5. He has chosen Ethiopia and et al over US, EU, and et al. He was overtaken by the victory in Nairobi and hence he forgot that was the beginning of the real deal. US, EU, and Arab league made very clear that their support and recognition as well of the TFG is linked in his government becoming operational in Mogadishu and non-aggressive approach to SL issue. As of today the TFG is on the pocket of IGAD states and if they withdrew their support the whole thing falls apart.

6. He refused the service of experienced retired leaders. I heard that nowadays no one could go past Abdullahi in-laws, cousins, and loyal friends. It’s impossible to talk to him they said.

To be continued....this is an opinion.

Baashe, Granted those are sailing and valid points and the old man is a very interesting character whose personal approach (despotic and extremely egotistic) and political views (unreasonably pro-Ethiopian) proved to be deadly combination, but don’t you realize that Somali warlords have not sorted their differences? Don’t you see the control of the land and property is the issue here? Do you not agree a Kismayo ruled by alien savage is not worthy of living? Do you not concur satisfying Mogadishu warlords whose mission is to prevent governance in their effort to permanently legalize that cursed acquisition is a goal that’s nowise possible? The old man is not a new face to us. He has been around for some time. Known are his political ambitions and the tools he devised to attain them. Arkay oo anaa iska leh (Gacaliye’s famous characterization of the late dictator) sums up his concept of government. But it all depends ones expectation of the government he heads. Disappointed will be those who’re patiently waiting to see a government of national unity, qualified technocrats, and smoothly operating institutions. Mark my word for it, it will be a long (so to speak) night for them.

On the other hand, my expectations are very low from the old man and his government. But want thing I think he could is fight and fight. Fight with the looters in the south. Fight till he looses or wins to reverse the gains (political and otherwise) of civil war.

As for Mogadishu and this article, this does it for me saaxxiib.

A city which is being claimed by one clan as its property, where Somali citizens could be killed, kidnapped or their property taken away simply with total impunity, simply because they belong to a different clan, cannot be the national capital. As a former Deputy Mayor of Mogadishu, which I loved and worked very long hours, at times late into the night or during the week-ends, to serve it with total loyalty and dedication, I don’t really feel that it is my capital city anymore. Just take another concrete example: About 17 years ago, I bought a house near the old airport of Mogadishu (now closed for many years due to serious disagreements between the city’s warlords) with the money I had earned from my work here in Saudi Arabia. Today, a guy who comes from Dhusamareb city, Galgudud region (central Somalia), is occupying my property after taking it over by force during the mayhem of 1991. He says he liberated it. Liberated it from what or whom? This is looting, pure and simple, and not liberation, and I’ll, inshalla, get back my rightful property one day when law and order is restored to my former capital city..

OLOL   

Xiin! As long as you calling some Somalis “Savage aliens" and singling out the ones from Central Somalia, you are just another disillusioned and embittered pretender, thus your whole emphasis on land and property doesn't even make any sense no more. I am sure you are one of those provincial slothful con-artists who loiter in coffee houses and reminsce "good old days ". I have seen many who boast of being past owners of mythical and luxurious mansions in Xamar Cadde!

As for the "deputy Mayor", all we could say is he was one of the deceitful leeches who had misused and misappropriated national assets for their personal gain. This is disgraceful tactic that the greedy corrupt elites use to get back to their privileged status in order to have another chance to embezzle and defraud more. The "deputy" should have worked hard to develop the rural areas instead of living lavishly in the comforts of his villa! Good riddance! I have no sympathy for such hypocrite

To me, the liberator from rural central regions is symbolic of one of those impoverished and oppressed folks, neglected and maltreated by deputy’s ilk. They are just reclaiming their rights! As in Ebonics parlance, don’t hate the player! He definitely shot no deputy but the Sheriff. Hate the game of nepotism, corruption and underdevelopment.

Sky   

Originally posted by OLOL:

To me, the liberator from rural central regions is symbolic of one of those impoverished and oppressed folks, neglected and maltreated by deputy’s ilk. They are just reclaiming their rights! As in Ebonics parlance, don’t hate the player! He definitely shot no deputy but the Sheriff.

did you justify the looting of properties in muqdisho? liberator kulaha! what a shameful existance for someone to claim someone elses property as its own.

OLOL   

Sky Here is my rationale:

One (privileged and educated on the back of the working masses and on the taxes collected from a poor sweating mother, selling tomotoes under the heat of a scorching African sun) looted and embezzled by the pen, - now the privileged con-artist wants his "Booli-Qaran" back!!

the other (underprivileged ******** from rural areas) looted by by the gun, the only skill he knew. will he gave the struggle up? even though, he lost all his herd in famine and have seen all his family starve to death? it is a possibility, if you guarantee wells dug in his inhospitable land. We all know that both the privileged charlatan and the rebellious nomad hail from the same regions. So who is to blame here? and who has my sympathy?

As for killings and rape allegations, it has been committed by all. No one is immune here whether they be Siad Bare’ remnants, the red barrettes, the opposing factions and those corrupt elites who started the whole fire!

A rapist cannot accuse the raped of rape at all!

:D@I am sure you are one of those provincial slothful con-artists who loiter in coffee houses and reminsce "good old days ". I have seen many who boast of being past owners of mythical and luxurious mansions in Xamar Cadde!

All I could say is that you’re a heeder of distant voices. And as they say, Dhagar-qabe dhulkaa u dhaqaaqa!

Rationale ku lahaa?

OLOL   

sir ma qabana saab baa ...biyo u cesha!

Xaqii afka laga dhowrana ....feerahoow ka dilaacaa!!

cabaadka ha la joojiyo - qof aan cadaabta Soomaaliya ka dhacday ka qeyb qaadan ma jirto. Yaa wax dhici jiray? yaa ceelasha sumeeyn jiray? yaa odoyaasha leyn jiray? yaa dhalinyaradda gowrici jiray? yaa hantida qaran ku takri falay? yaa maato dilay? yaa gabar miskiin kufsaday? yaa qarinimo dumin oo qabiil dhisin? yaa miig magaalo ku burburin? yaa beynaad islaan beer ka darin?

ma hadeey soo baraarugtay? ma hadeey aragtay dhibka kuleeylkiisa? ma qaxootinimidaa quusta keentay? ma qabyaaladii la quudan jiray baa qaraar noqotay?

maxaa qaldan? yaa qaldan?

jahawareer iyo jac, ciil iyo caloowyoow!!

soomaali eed ku nool, eed ku naax, eed ku jiif, eed ku toos -

Baashi   

OLOL you are defending the indefensible sxb. You remined me the line and I’m paraphrasing it here he is sure a thug but our thug. For the sake of decency, don’t associate your politiking with the down rotten ideals of looting and the legions that do the deed. Looting, larceny, and theft have never been approved by any religion, ideology, or social system known to men. The fact of the matter is the internecine civil war has replaced half of the Mogadishu residents some for good and others within the city depending who controls where whenever clan skirmishes flare up. Now in any genuine reconciliation it is imperative to tackle this issue head on. It’s disheartening to see you make fool of yourself just to stand up for your xaafad. It’s people like you that gives the extreme elements in any Somali clans the upper hand. Tone it down sxb.

Waryee Xiin, to characterize the occupiers of Kismayo as being “savages†is uncalled for.

On Kismayo, awoowe maalin kasta caqli baa ii siyaada. The game is over! Now, JVA alliance had won the battle of Juba, where does that fact leave folks like me? Here are several options: 1) Swallow my foolish pride and say alright Barre and his senior partners are in charge now, deal with them and relinquish Kismayo resident's political ambition and in return secure all their properties. 2) Deal Abdiqasim and bypass Barre in return toss Abdullahi and his dangerous and unrealistic adventures. 3) Ciyaar waa galin danbe wait and see how long this powerful alliance last. As of today I’m inclined to embrace the first option. When the dust settles those who have the money, the know-how, the political intrigue will carry the day and in the case of Kismayo I have no doubt who will have the upper hand.

On Mogadishu, deep down you know Abdullahi cannot do a thing to change the situation. He needs FTs. FTs mandate as well as funding are constrained by a gamut of interest. If and when he gets them he won’t be the one who calls the shots. That’s the regional politics. Inside Somalia, if Mogadishu really unites behind the TFG Mogadishu faction I don’t think Uganda and Sudan’s mere 2000 military personal can tame the experienced clan militia fighting urban warfare in their own backyard. It will be mighty difficult to subdue a city as big as Mogadishu.

Jowhar is an interesting place. Abdullahi will become hostage to another clan albeit friendly one. He seems to put all yis eggs and that of the nation in a hollow basket. Remember the TFG won’t get the support of the powers that really matter. Remember the government is short of money. Remember IGAD (unconditional support) is the only org willing to invest the resources necessary for this TFG to do what it needs to do. Difficult? And what did he do so far! The TFG is split in two. Mogadishu has now been claimed by one part (out of its overall inhabitants). He doesn’t get along with US and its Nairobi embassy in particular. UN is not as enthusiastic as it had been in Carta. Granted that the blame lies at many doors but he is in charge. He is the boss. Good or bad, he is accountable as he is the president. Qanyare iyo Shariifkoo lala tirsadaa iyo anaa ilabax ah iyo ciidan baa wataa meel laguma gaaro sxb

Having said that, make no mistake sxb the Mogadishu-Kismayo land grab is the crux of the matter. I've said so many times. On this we seem to agree. There are folks who would lose if this TFG implements the law and order. AKili and faratelli farmlands, Kabtan shanaad, along the road from Aw dheegle, grasjeereed, Janaale, to qoryooleey district down to Mareereey, Jilib, Kamsuuma, Jamaame, to Kismayo the whole circle I drew is in the hands of others. All Somalis who use to live there except several sub clans and lately reer Gedo lost their properties. That I understand but you must choose your battles prudently and very carefully. This man is very very reckless and he seems picking up support from our clan by the day (cuz they hear the likes of OLOL). Amazing how folks think sxb...wadar iyo waaxid yaa waalan baa maqli jiray. Awoowe inna Yussuf waa la wataa.

excuze the ramble.

hukri   

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW NATION.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW LEADERSHIP.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW ACTION PLAN AND A LOT OF PAINTING.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW ECONOMIC/EMPLOYMENT/EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW A LOT OF A/LAAHI YUSUF.

hukri   

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW NATION.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW LEADERSHIP.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW ACTION PLAN AND A LOT OF PAINTING.

MOGADISHU NEEDS NEW ECONOMIC/EMPLOYMENT/EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT.

MOGADISHU NEEDS A LOT OF A/LAAHI YUSUF.

Jumatatu   

Waxa hada ka hor jiri jirtey habar gaban oo cuti ah kuna gabowdey gumeys oo deganeyd Galkacyo. Islanta waxay aheyd jeble oo waxay gadi jirtey sigarka, alababa waxay uu badneyd suqa baburta wa weyn laga raco ama laga raro.Darawal walba oo sigarka ka gata wuxxu kula kaftami jirey "na hedhe walaley aan iska ka gursado" iyo wax la mid ah. Islanti intu kaftanki ku batey ayey isla weynatey oo malin malmaha ka mid ah ayey inta suqa dhex fadhisatey ayey waxay tiri " Alla aniga tira badniya mid walba in uu ii gursado ayu rabo se wax yeela".

Hada mid walba oo Burtinle iyo shishadeed ka yimid wuxuu sheeko ka dhigtey guri ayan Xamar kulaha oo layga dhacey, ama Xamar ma adi karo waa meel dugagu uu dadku ku cuuno... ...Allo ya uu sheega in ay Xamar waxna ay kala maqneyn, ee ayagu ay baahi uu qaban...!

Baashi   

" Alla aniga tira badniya mid walba in uu ii gursado ayu rabo se wax yeela".

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

And the moral of the story is...? The one u provided doesn't cut it sxb.

Forgot about those who are from Burtinle. What about dadkii qaxay ee ku barakacay dagaalkii ahliga. Mise xikamadii belada ahayd ee "aryaa anaa xoreystay" baad waxa dooneysaa inaad miis rag leeyahay oo muqaawiir iyo gar cas ku garameyso inaad la timaado oo aad la soo shir tagtid.