Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Sanaag Predicament...

"Puntland defense forces are overstretched, and the state currently has no capacity to withstand Somaliland's calculated surge. Ethiopia, it stands to reason, is expected to intervene on Puntland's behalf and talk Somaliland politicians out of thier offensive posture. "

Who needs the puntland defense forces. when did they ever defend xudun against the attack of the somaliland army? its always the residents that defen them selfs. should somaliland try to these cities, they will be completely surrounded from the north, to the east, to the west and the south!

Emperor, you may not concede it now but the state is indeed overstretched. From Kismayo to Moga to central regions, Puntlanders have been utilized to the max…

NN, aren’t the residents recruited for old man’s project in the south?

Laba-X   

Ninkii dhoof kuyimi bey geeridu dhibeysaa!

I hear there has been a clash between the two parties, and i beleive that the casualties will soon significantly rise. Taarkiina wuu go'anyahay!

ElPunto   

^I would like to get a sense of what Solers from the region want. It seems that Sanaag especially risks becoming a much abused football between SL and PL. Why don't the inhabitants decide which 'team' they want to 'join' or decide they want to go their separate way? It seems to me that the indecisiveness or lack of clarity from the inhabitants prolongs the tension and puts them at peril. Am I being overly harsh here or just plain wrong? I don't know.

Lake   

^^^

SL were called by the locals to come. Its obvious the people have spoken. How did but-la established their border anyways?

ElPunto   

^Are you from the region? - I'm talking specifically to certain folks here. Not to SL and PL partisans. And why would they call SL army anyways?

this is not about what the people of SSC want. Clearly, wither its through puntland or otherwise, these people want to be part of puntland but Somaliland has never been an option. When the official from garowe came to built the local administration, they left, trusting that the residents of dhahar can take care of them selfs but its always Somaliland that stations troops where they are not needed or wanted. Like coming after the the puntland ministers have left dhahar, just to claim they have captured dhahar from Puntland.

Paragon   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

^I would like to get a sense of what Solers from the region want. It seems that Sanaag especially risks becoming a much abused football between SL and PL. Why don't the inhabitants decide which 'team' they want to 'join' or decide they want to go their separate way? It seems to me that the indecisiveness or lack of clarity from the inhabitants prolongs the tension and puts them at peril. Am I being overly harsh here or just plain wrong? I don't know.

You are not being harsh, ThePoint. The peril visited on the region's inhabitants is the result of lack of clarity and indecissiveness, as you mentioned. If they don't send out a clear signal, they would remain an 'abused football'.

ElPunto   

^Why the lack of clarity Paragon? The Somali method usually is for the elders to hold a shir and then determine the wisest course for the rest of the community. There will be disagreement and small groups who may be unhappy with the decision reached but everyone insidee and outside the community knows where it stands. Has something like that not been done or attempted? What is the state of politics in the area?

NASSIR   

"Two – The Puntland force has retreated peacefully earlier, but now a convoy of technicals from their meagre resources have been stretched out onto the long stretch of road from Bosaaso on their way to Dhahar, i hear. Though the situation can easily be resolved peacefully, an aggressive front as this would only further the campaign of hostilities and put the other side on the defensive."

Labaxininyod, This was a surreptitious escapade like a wanted truant child in desperate need of companions that would intervene in a glimpse of magnanimous gesture. They also with clear intention eluded the exact direction or road to Dhahar. It backlashed on them and put a big disgraceful stamp on their back.

NASSIR   

The point, Sanaag is not divided into east or west. Much of Sanaag are with Puntland, their brethrens. Puntland is a temporary adminstration that proved to be a "panacea'' to Somalia's long standing anarchy. However, if they want to create their own state and be an independent entity, i will support, but the fact that the platform of Puntland is not that of seperation between Somalia and its territory, I don't see why would few people of Sanaag hold unexamined assumptions that is contrary to the support of Puntland.

Make no mistake Sxb, the battle between Puntland and SL will draw much attention for Ethiopia because it will change and influence the situation in the South. Today Ethiopia have no where to go back, they are supporting one entity and with their men openly fighting inside Somalia alongside the TFG, don't listed to AFmaacida every sane person can see where their real loyalty lies. Any trouble that SL makes at this stage of the game is to be seen and measured greatly by the Big bro

The role Ethiopia can play is to mediate between the two but I don't think it'll choose sides between the two.

Let me remind you one thing, it is not Ethiopia that needs Puntland, its Puntland that needs Ethiopia. Somaliland doesn't care what Ethiopia says. :D

ElPunto   

^Caamir - If that is the case - why are SL govt delegations received and welcomed over there? Doesn't that send a mixed signal? Or are those reports all false? To my knowledge - there are people who claim to represent Sanaag in Hargeisa. Doesn't that also add to the confusion?