Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Sanaag Predicament...

Laba-X   

The case of Sanaag, which has always been a bone of contention between the warring autonomous regions of Somaliland and Puntland has now taken a new front. For quite some time tense emotions have been boiling over the territory and an exchange of fierce and belligerent gestures then ensued. But now that bubbling magma has cracked the lid open and hot bubbles have emerged. So what is at stake, if there were an all out war in Sanaag?

One – As soon as the tussle in the technicals begins, the first casualties of the war will undoubtedly be the local residents and the innocent herdsmen in the terrains of Sanaag, who live quite indifferently to this deliberate quarrel.

Two – The Puntland force has retreated peacefully earlier, but now a convoy of technicals from their meagre resources have been stretched out onto the long stretch of road from Bosaaso on their way to Dhahar, i hear. Though the situation can easily be resolved peacefully, an aggressive front as this would only further the campaign of hostilities and put the other side on the defensive.

Three – Somaliland having crossed the immense terrain and delving quite further into Sanaag (Map here), though clearly demonstrates an artillery might and manpower, might also backfire when their ferry founders. As soon as the torrential downpour of bullets and mortars starts, they might see themselves enclaved in the precipitous plains of Sanaag as they are surrounded from all sides and sending for reinforcement to fortify their stronghold might prove precarious.

The Odayaal of Dhahar and generally those of Sanaag have tried to resolve the situation peacefully, but can they accomplish it this time when both parties are bent on a total annihilation of the other? I am hoping that a peaceful accord can be reached without any spillage of blood, but hey, there’s nowt so queer as folk, so what are your predictions?

I agree with point Three.I do not know much about the politics of that area but i sense some opportunism from somaliland due to the south's engagements.These kinda issues always resort to war,but i do hope that both sides do not engage in war.They simply are not ready.But,should there be one,the claimed somaliland will be more disadvantaged and ofcourse,the issues are still developing.

^^And so you abandon the virtues of war you so dearly held in your previous stances yaa Captain?

LX, I think the situation is still developing. But if there is a war between these two entities it will be quite a disastrous one for both. There will be opportunity for Ethiopia to mediate between them and perhaps station peacekeeping forces in there to further milk the resources of the concerned regional and international bodies.

In the final analysis, this war would turn into a tribal squable, and consequently it would deem Somaliland’s territorial claim rather shallow…

^^I have been wondering if Cadde’s recent protectorate agreement with Ethiopia covers Somaliland’s incursion? After all Puntlander’s were told that the sole reason for which Ethiopian troops are stationed at Gaalkacyo is to protect their state’s security…

One thing is certain, Ethiopia wants to go into as far deep as possible.

As for the Sanaag situation, as of now, it looks Pl iyo Sland want in ee locals qoryaha isku dhiibaan. I hope reer Sanaag realise these entities have little to offer in terms of peace and progress. It is better if they strike it out on their own.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^And so you abandon the virtues of war you so dearly held in your previous stances yaa Captain?

There is no virtue in creating chaos and neither is there any honor in deprieving off the peace those pple have.My stances in restoring peace by any means at all costs means not hailing destruction.And so ur prejudiced mind fails u again.

Back to the Topic,both parties are not ready for a war,and should there be one,as earlier mentioned, the claimed somaliland will be more disadvantaged.On the other hand,that administration needs the involved provinces and to a certain point its a necessity to them.They might be miscalculating their pieces if they are trying to take advantage of Xamar's situation.We await to see how things develop,for now lets hope they both back off.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^I have been wondering if Cadde’s recent protectorate agreement with Ethiopia covers Somaliland’s incursion? After all Puntlander’s were told that the sole reason for which Ethiopian troops are stationed at Gaalkacyo is to protect their state’s security…

Well,If Riyaale was estranged from Zenawi,then perhaps Ethiopia would have gone further. Riyaale is close to Zenawi as the other stooges!

I dont think its in the best interest of Zenawi right now to interefere with JSL(Jamhuriyada SomaliLand).

There is no virtue in creating chaos and neither is there any honor in deprieving off the peace those pple have.My stances in restoring peace by any means at all costs means not hailing destruction

What a befuddled stance!!!

Until this statement,You were the outspoken apostle for all things war,military & destruction. What,made you abandon this gospel?

Paragon   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

One thing is certain, Ethiopia wants to go into as far deep as possible.

As for the Sanaag situation, as of now, it looks Pl iyo Sland want in ee locals qoryaha isku dhiibaan. I hope reer Sanaag realise these entities have little to offer in terms of peace and progress. It is better if they strike it out on their own.

This should be a away out of the predicament. But still, Ethiopian would always keep a hawk's eye on the region.

Che, there is no such thing as locals here. The locals are represented (men from their blood do claim that anyway) in both entities (may be more represented in one entity than other) and are part of this conflict. In fact, there are those in this community whose sole reason of the creation of Puntland state was to counter secessionist ambitions of Somaliland. There are also those who have been with Somaliland from the get go and still are with it for variety of reasons. There it’s, my good friend, the status of the locals you are speaking of as though they sway any influence at the moment. That’s not to say they cant decide their destiny if they want to but as it stands now they are at the mercy of few men who desire to impose varying version of political beliefs on them…

That’s also true with the silent majority of Somalilanders and other communities in Puntland. Locals, no matter where they are, have little voice when it comes to deciding the destiny of their region.

Paragon, is the situation as desperate as portal news report it is?

Paragon   

Xiinfiniin, I am affraid so sxb. Sheekadu wey cakiran tahay walle and reer Sanaag are really out of their depth in trying to avert war. They don't seem to have a place to turn to: to Puntland and Ethiopians or to Somaliland? Or stand alone and face the wrath of both groups?

Originally posted by Faarax-Brown:

apostle for all things war,military & destruction.

They should have taught u that the military is created for none but for peace.But what would a potato know about that?That region is peaceful,it doesn't need war but unfortunately,it seems they now need war to keep their peace.Do u get the maxim?

Xiin & Paragon...I wouldn't be surprised if I see Ethio boots in Lasqorey and Badhan, I guess the price one pays when you blindly support few greedy men.

They (Ethios) are literally dismantling Somalia piece by piece, while Maryooley cheers in the name of clan chauvinism.

Shacabka Soomaalida waa xoolo.

RedSea   

looool@ patato, Captainku eraygaa wuu kahelaa in raga kusheego inkasto aanu waxba ka ogayn oo laga yaabo in ay ka raganimo badanyihiin.

Waa reer Sanaag waligoodba nabad ayey iska macansanayeen, kaluunkooda yarna way iska dhoofsanyeen, dhib iyo jah wareer uma baahna. Meesha vacation aad utagtid baan islaha sowkuwan meeshii iyo biyihii xareeda ahaa dhooqeeyey.