Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

RIS-5 going strong!!!!TORONTO Dec.22-28

Lake   

An argument started over this? Goodness...

I'll go and try to enjoy myself tomorow inshallah...

If for some reason you have problems by how this coference is being held, then simply don't come to it.

Ameen   

Alhamdulilah that Allah blessed many muslims to attend the RIS this year and in saying that, I would like to hear the different feelings and opinions that yall may have had about the conference. So did yall like it? What was your favourite part of the weekend?

And Allah knows best

Miriam1   

It was seriously a good year for RIS, well I tend to say that after every year. lol.

I would have to say that saturday to me was the best day in regards to the lectures, I was glad that Sh. Quick spoke on Islam in Africa, it was a great discussion, specifically on when he spoke about Darfur.

Next I would have to say is Tariq Ramadan, this was the first time I heard the man speak, but he really got to me since he spoke about something I felt greatly conflicted about. Being a practising Muslim who conciously decided to live in Canada. A friend took down some notes, inshallah will get them and post further.

As always I enjoyed Tariq Suwaidan, and his lecture on the caliphs on saturday was really good. By the way he was finishing it on Sunday and some lady started yelling at him, I was all the way on the back didnt hear nothing, except him calming her down. What was that about?!

I am not sure what I could say about the Rabbi who spoke, I found him to be very ambitious and abit too idealist for my taste. specially with the 5% marshall plan.

Sh. Zaid Shakir and Hamza Yusuf were also very good. I thought Hamza Yusuf's translation of Sh. Banyah's speech was spot on.

oh and again, Tariq Ramadan on Sunday, mashallah his speech was amazing, people were so emotional so was he!!

Single disappointment. was the entertainment session...far too late, too bad for us those who have to bus it!

If you guys stayed u have to let me know how Outlandish was! I heard only two of them came though!?

Okay thats it. Some nice buys also. The Sirah of the nabi (pbuh) by Martin Lings and the documentary on timbuktu by Sh Quick.

Also met and spoke to Sh. Quick and Sh. Siraj Wahhaj..so cool

Inshallah until next year.

Ameen   

Assalam alaikum

I’m glad you enjoyed the conference, it was a positive feeling overall.

In regards to the lady yelling and interrupting to sheik, well what can I say…she like us, feels very passionate about the companions of the beloved Prophet (saw). I don’t know her personally and therefore it wouldn’t be correct if I assumed and labelled her as apart of another creed, so I will play it safe and say, she defended (in her mind) a companion (although the sheik didn’t say anything wrong) from being spoken wrongly about.

Hayam sister, about the text written by Martin Lings, I heard some positive and also negatives. For the positives, the English (vocabulary and grammar) used in the text is spectacular. Unlike the Sealed Nectar that won a first prize (and the actual text that won a first prize is the Arabic form of the text) which is criticized for its weak use of the English language (I have the book and I’m currently reading it and for my part, I agree) but alhamdulilah it’s available to us to benefit and increase our knowledge from inshAllah. The negatives of the book are a few and they are, as Yasir Qadhi commented and spoke about this book, he said, “ The Seerah” by Marin Lings is very good but I hesitate, matterfact, I can not recommend it because it contains some very serious errors and deviations” and he continues by saying, “he (Lings) inserted few things that are highly controversial and has no bases in the seerah for example, the Prophet (saw) left a statute of Mary holding Isa in the Kaabah (which as he says, is boarder line shirk and the Prophet (saw) never did such a thing)”. But basically he says that the book is amazing for English students as long as they are aware of a handful of things that should be watched out for while reading this book. But keep us informed on your discovers and may Allah protect us.

And Allah knows best

Blessed   

Originally posted by Hayam:

Hey Guys, Just finished with all the exams. Inshallah this year is going to be amazing, just checked out the site, and guess who is coming EHAB TAWFIQ !! for all those who listen to arabic songs..I knw u got a little heartattack here...this guy's voice is just so good.

Ehaab Tawfiiq???

Singing what? I always hought that he would make an excellen qaari...is he pracising now? I hope so...

So a segment of the event on Huda TV, looked impressive. smile.gif

:( Well I missed the convention this year...except for the last session with Sh.Zaid Shakir....pleasantly suprised that he sang for us!!! (a second time for us during the retreat)

However I did attend the retreat smile.gif What a year!!!! More attendees...and a great time with my girls Haneefah and Ilham (ok girls no more changing screen names, even I get confused who's who sometimes)

I noticed I write less and less each time I visit here..what's up with that??? Anyway, missing the convention was Ok with me this year because the retreat made it all worth it! I got to shop a bit, made new friends, saw some familiar faces! My mind is really blank right now, I'd like to hear more people's thoughts on the retreat/RIS/concert.

Ma'asalaama.

Haneefah   

Aaah, the Retreat! What can I say about the retreat other than how exuberantly uplifting it was. It truly was!

We cried tears of joy and tears of sadness together but also laughed during sheikh Zaid Shakir's comic reliefs (rem. the basbusa joke :D ) or that of Dr. jackson. We met amazing new people there and also old faces we were delighted to see (I really enjoyed catching up with my sweet fellow SOl sisters ;) ). Above all, we greatly benefited from the company and insights of the very prominent scholars who sacrificed their precious time for us during the holiday break to enlighten us. A memorable atmosphere it was, alhamdulilah.

Tami, I being the procrastinator I am, haven't still organized and reprinted my notes yet. But what do you say if we share some of the notes here, especially, Sidi Ahmad Zarruq's book by shaikh Hamza would be very beneficial me thinks. Insha'Allah.