Sign in to follow this  
LuCkY

Something New:SomaLia....

LuCkY   

I found out just the other day that SomaLia is considered to be an Arab nation.This is some new and perpLexing information to me.I dont know if the rest of you are aware of this but i wouLd appreciate some feedback.I mean OMG :eek: a white guy in my cLass knows more about this than I---how pathetic.

Anyway im not even sure if this is suppose to be in the poLitics section...but oh weLL.

Timeline: Arab League

A chronology of key events:

1942 - British begin promoting idea of Arab League in an attempt win over Arabs as allies in war against Germany.

Former Secretary-General Esmat Abdel Meguid

1944 - Official representatives from Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, North Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Transjordan (Jordan) and Palestine meet in Alexandria, Egypt, and agree to form the League of Arab States.

1945 - Arab states sign Arab League Pact, thereby formally inaugurating the league.

1946 - Arab League members sign Cultural Treaty.

1950 - League members sign Joint Defence and Economic Cooperation Treaty.

1953 - Economic and Social Council formed; Libya joins the Arab League.

1956 - Sudan joins the Arab League.

1958 - Morocco and Tunisia join the Arab League; the League is recognised by the United Nations, and becomes the UN's organisation for education, science and culture in the Arab region.

1961 - Kuwait joins the Arab League.

1962 - Algeria joins the Arab League.

1964 - The first summit is convened in Cairo in January; the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALESCO) is set up; second league summit in September welcomes the establishment of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO).

1967 - South Yemen joins the Arab League.

1971 - Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates join the Arab League.

1973 - Mauritania joins the Arab League.

1974 - Somalia and Palestine (represented by the PLO ) join the Arab League.

Arab League logo

1976 - Arab League summit in Cairo authorises the formation and deployment of an Arab peacekeeping force in Lebanon.

1977 - Djibouti joins the Arab League.

1979 - Egypt is suspended from the Arab League in the wake of President Anwar Sadat's visit to Jerusalem and Egypt's peace agreement with Israel; the Arab League headquarters are moved to the Tunisian capital, Tunis.

1987 - Arab League extraordinary summit unanimously endorses a statement supporting what it described as Iraq's defence of its legitimate rights in its dispute with Iran and criticising Iran for its delay in accepting a UN-proposed ceasefire.

1989 - Egypt is readmitted into the Arab League; the league's headquarters are moved back to Cairo.

1990 May - Summit meeting in Baghdad criticises Western efforts to prevent Iraq from developing advanced weapons technology.

1990 August - At emergency summit, 12 out of 20 states present condemn the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait; unified Yemen joins the Arab League.

1993 - Comoros joins the Arab League.

1994 - Arab League condemns decision by the Gulf Cooperation Council to end the secondary and tertiary trade embargo against Israel and insists that the embargo can be lifted only by the league's council.

1996 - Arab League Council determines that the waters of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers be shared equitably between Iraq, Syria and Turkey. This followed complaints by Syria and Iraq that extensive construction work in southern Turkey was restricting their water supply.

Arab League foreign ministers meeting in Cairo

1998 - Arab League secretary-general condemns the use or threat of force against Iraq; Arab League interior and justice ministers sign agreement to strengthen cooperation against terrorism; Arab League denounces bomb attacks against US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and US missile strikes against Afghanistan and Sudan.

2001 - Amr Musa appointed secretary-general, replacing Esmat Abdel Meguid.

2003 March/April - US-led overthrow of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein: Some league members, including Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain offer facilities for the invasion. Others, including Syria, strongly oppose it.

2003 September - Arab League permits US-backed Iraqi Governing Council to represent Iraq at its meetings.#

I hope this would be enough sista!!!!!

nuune   

^^^^great information sxb,this arab league stuff doesn't make us arabs,we are proud 2 be somalis always

OG Moti   

It is an honor to be an Arab, but not those so called arabs today, Those are not Arabs .. most of them are mixed with Farisi and Turkey and some biduu or badaw, or namads, and since the Prophet time bodoows were the garbage of the Arab society, our prophet P.B.U.H is an Arab and i am so proud to be associated with Arabs which means i will be associated with our dear Prophet P.B.U.H and what an honor could be that... guys forget the today Arabs and think of the Prophet P.B.U.H arab and he P.B.U.H said meaning dont call arabs bad words for i was born an Arab... so be proud to be called Arab... and put ur head up and smell heaven with a good deed u perfrom.. smile.gif peace

king_450   

A R A B (now days any one who speaks the language

calls him/her ARAB)

B A R A (Teach)

Some 1 told me the other day how the Arab nations became Joke to the rest of the world, they are rich in History,knowledge,Wealth ,but still can't put their act together. now days they read their names backword, and they become Nations to be taught lessons over and over again. God Help them, but first they need to help themself.

LuCkY   

King thats an interesting concept there:ARAB-BARA.

Ok Moti i see where youre coming from.

Question to aLL though:Im confused because i hear various somaLi peopLe teLL me different things.ONes saying we are Arabs and others saying we arent and dont have any connections with them BLood wise.What is the answer?Is there any way to get to the bottom of this and reach an agreeabLe take? :confused:

This has always been a mystry to me too. Does anyone know the kind of arguments the somali government used to become a member or was it envited? Where are the historians...please clear up things for us! Peace.

Liqaye   

Being in the arab league does not make somalia an arab country.

The reasons why somalia joined the arab league were purely political and economic.

In the 1970 somalia was faced unfortunately with an african community in the form OAU that was not sympathetic to somalia's need to redraw the colonial boundaries.

Also somalia was becoming more heavily indebted to the U.S.S.R economicaly.

The switch over of 1977 of our erstwhile allies was the final straw.

SO somalia's entry into the AL was political economic and according to some the conitnuation of a centurys old relationship between somalia and the arab peninsula.

Also let us not forget at this time of the 70's joining the arab league was a great incentive to somalis because of the arab oil boom.

Before we delve into the political and economic perspectives of the subject matter which might or might not explain as to the issue of Somalis being Arabs or not, perhaps the origins (linguistic, cultural, religious) of the people (Somalis), and the creation of Arab nationalism ought to be discussed.

How many of you are familiar with the concept of Arabs and Mu-Arabs?

Ponder over this for a while, and while you are at it, ask yourselves these questions: Are Sudanese, Mauritanians, Egyptians, Moroccans, Arabs? If so, how? Are Shamiyiin (Syria, Lebanon etc) Arabs? If so, how do they differ from the first group? And what is the difference between an Arab of Xijaas and one of Khaliij? And when is one classified as an Arab, or Mu-Arab?

Again, why would an Egyptian say he is no Arab, but an Egyptian? Or Sudani or Somali for that matter.

Perhaps then you could find the answer to the question that is being sought.

Outside the domain of discussion perhaps, though very much pertinent, Zionist ideology which thus far had served its purpose runs parallel along Arab nationalism which has almost lost its momentum and died with its leadership of the 40s and 50s. The former succeeded in aligning itself with modernism whilst the latter is being brilliantly portrayed as being barbaric parasite with nothing to contribute to the civilised world. This ignores historical account that no other civilisation including that of the Romans contributed more to science, culture, social or human civilisation than Islam at the helm of Arab prodigy.

Cheers.

sMiLeY   

well yeah......... and we've been arab for a while hahahah...... i heard our former president put us on that list so the arabs can help us financially..... it could be true and it could be false....... anyways the bottom line we're not arab...... at least i'm not arab smile.gif

Blessed   

Somalia entered the arab league for economic reasons which makes sense because we trade mainly with arabs.

We also historical connections with them, through Islam and trades. Some arabs have settled in Somalia - some Somalis claim to have arab ancestors - if you look at tribe geneology a few of the clan fathers have arab origines - I personaly don't buy this tosh that we were orginaly arabs but that those individuals were sheikhs who enjoyed high status and somehow - they beacme our for fathers - not exactly sure how laakin, a few people have written on the subject - so i'll look into it when i get more time.

LuCkY   

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SAMURAI WARRIOR:

How many of you are familiar with the concept of Arabs and Mu-Arabs?

Ponder over this for a while, and while you are at it, ask yourselves these questions: Are Sudanese, Mauritanians, Egyptians, Moroccans, Arabs? If so, how? Are Shamiyiin (Syria, Lebanon etc) Arabs? If so, how do they differ from the first group? And what is the difference between an Arab of Xijaas and one of Khaliij? And when is one classified as an Arab, or Mu-Arab?

Again, why would an Egyptian say he is no Arab, but an Egyptian? Or Sudani or Somali for that matter.

Perhaps then you could find the answer to the question that is being sought.

Why dont you enLighten us-i wouLd Like to hear what you have to say on this.

lucky! unfortunate sista! we are a member of the arab league! lemme throw another curve ball. do u isreal was the first nation that recognize somalia independence while egypt said no! this is true! i guess, the world a mysterious place! hah!

also, r u aware that somalis olympians took part the 1939 olympics held in germany! my uncle was one of them! this was arranged by uk & italy.

DraGon   

qoute by rudy

lucky! unfortunate sista! we are a member of the arab league! lemme throw another curve ball. do u isreal was the first nation that recognize somalia independence while egypt said no! this is true! i guess, the world a mysterious place! hah!

also, r u aware that somalis olympians took part the 1939 olympics held in germany! my uncle was one of them! this was arranged by uk & italy.

rudy, how is this related to the issue discussed??

Samurai...

Well siad.

Nowadays alot of ppl. are ashamed to be associated or even labelled to be Arabs due to the current political climate.....and I guess those who fall under this category would also denounce Somaliness given the choice. Simply, case of inferiority complex.