Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Memorize the 99 Names of Allah….

Blessed   

Salaaams ,

Does anyone here want to join me in memorizing the beautiful names of Allah?

I thought I know them all but errrm. :rolleyes:

Anyways, need some partners to keep me focused on this, so are you people game? Anyone, someone....

The benefits of memorizing he names of Allah are that it is a door way to paradise, I helps us know Allah and thus getting the concept of Tawheed (Islamic monotheism) ingrained in our psych.

In The Quraan, Allah ta'aala says;

Allâh! Lâ ilâhla illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He)! To Him belong the Best Names.

The Noble Qur'an Ta-Ha 20:8

And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allâh, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do.

The Noble Qur'an Al-A'raf 7:180

Hadith - Sahih Muslim and Bukhari 8:419, Narrated Abu Huraira : Allah has ninety-nine Names, i.e., one hundred minus one, and whoever 'ahsaha' [enumerates them, believes in them, ponders their meanings, worships Allah by them and supplicates with them, and acts by them according to one's belief in them] will enter Paradise; and Allah is Witr ("Odd", i.e. He is one, and it is an odd number) and loves 'the Witr' (i.e., odd numbers).

So come on waste not. Sign up and start now. I purpose that we learn the meaning of 20 Names every week and to memorise all by he end of Jan...Insha Allh.

What thinks you?

Fee Amman Allah

Blessed   

List of the Names and where mentioned in the Quraan.

---------

1. ALLAH - God Ta Ha v 14

2. AL-'AZIZ - The Mighty One Hashr v 23

3. AL-'ALIM - The All-Knowing Al-Baqarah v 115

4. AL-'AZIM - The Great One Al-Baqarah v 255

5. AL-'ALIYY The Sublime Shura v 12

6. AL-AHAD The One Ikhlas v 1

7. AL-AWWAL The First Hadid v 3

8. AL-AKHIR The Last Hadid v 3

9. AL-'AFUW The Pardoner Nisa v 149

10. AL-AKRAM The Most Bounteous 'Alq v 3

11. AL-A'LA The Most High A'la v 7

12. AL-'ALLAM The Omniscient Ma'ida v 112

13. AL-BARI' The Maker Hashr v 24

14. AL-BASIR The All-Seeing One Al-'Imran v 15

15. AL-BATIN The Hidden Hadid v 3

16. AL-BARR The Source of All Goodness Tur v 28

17. AL-BADI' The Originator Al-Baqarah v 117

18. AL-BA'ITH The Awakener Hajj v 7

19. AL-BAQI The Everlasting One Rahman v 27

20. AL-FATTAH The Judge Al-Saba v 26

21. AL-FATIR The Creator Shura v 11

22. AL-GHAFFAR The Great Forgiver Nuh v 10

23. AL-GHAFUR The All-Forgiving Mala'ikah v 28

24. AL-GHANI The Self-Sufficient Mala'ikah v 15

25. AL-GHAFIR The Forgiver Mu'min v 3

26. GHALIB The Predominant Yusuf v 21

27. AL-HALIM The Clement Banu Isra'il v 44

28. AL-HAFIIZ The Preserver Hud v 57

29. AL-HASIB The Reckoner Nisa v 6

30. AL-HAKIM The Wise Al-Baqarah v 129

31. AL-HAQQ The Truth Hajj v 6

32. AL-HAMEED The Praiseworthy Hajj v 64

33. AL-HAYY The Alive Al-Imran v 2

34. AL-HADI The Guide Furqan v 31

35. AL-HAAFIZ The Protector Yusuf v 64

36. AL-HAFIYY The Gracious Maryam v 47

37. AL-ILAH God Ambiya v 108

38. AL-JABBAR The Compeller Hashr v 23

39. AL-JAME' The Gatherer Al-Imran v 9

40. AL-JALEEL The Glorious Rahman v 78

41. AL-KHALIQ The Creator Hashr v 24

42. AL-KHABIR The Aware Al-Saba' v 1

43. AL-KABIR The Most Great Al-Saba' v 23

44. AL-KAFIL The Surety Nahl v 91

45. AL-KHALLAQ The Creator Hijr v 86

46. AL-KAFI The Sufficient One Zumar v 36

47. AL-LATIF The Subtle One Al-An'am v 104

48. AL-MALIK The Sovereign Ta Ha v 114

49. AL-MU'MIN The Giver of Peace Hashr v 23

50. AL-MUHAIMIN The Protector Hashr v 23

51. AL-MUTAKABBIR The Majestic Hashr v 23

52. AL-MUSAWWIR The Fashioner Hashr v 24

53. AL-MUQIT The Maintainer, The Protector, The Guardian, The Feeder, The Sustainer Nisa v 85

54. AL-MUJIB The Responsive Hud v 61

55. AL-MAJID The Most Glorious One Hud v 73

56. AL-MATIN The Firm One Zariyat v 58

57. AL-MUQTADIR The Powerful Qamar v 42

58. AL-MUTA'ALI The Most Exalted Ra'd v 11

59. AL-MUBIN The Manifest Nur v 25

60. AL-MAULA The Patron Anfal v 40

61. AL-MALIIK The King, The Sovereign Qamar v 55

62. AL-MUHIT All-Pervading Fussliat v 54

63. AL-MUSTA'AN One Who is called upon for help Ambiya v 112

64. AL-MANNAN The Gracious Al-Imran v 164

65. AL-MUHYI The Giver of Life Rum v 50

66. AL-MUMIT The Giver of Death A'raf v 28

67. AN-NUR The Light Nur v 35

68. AL-NASIR The Helper Nisa v 45

69. AL-QUDDUS The Holy Hashr v 23

70. AL-QAHHAR The Dominant Ra'd v 16

71. AL-QARIB The Nigh Hud v 61

72. AL-QAWI The Most Strong Hajj v 74

73. AL-QAYYUM The Self-Subsisting Al-Imran v 2

74. AL-QAADIR The Able An'am v 65

75. AL-QADIIR The Mighty Nahl v 70

76. AL-QAHIR The Omnipotent An'am v 18

77. AR-RAHMAN The Compassionate Al-Baqarah v 163

78. AR-RAHIM The Merciful Fatiha v 1-2

79. AR-RAZZAQ The Provider Zariyat v 58

80. AR-RAQEEB The Watchful, The Observer Nisa v 7

81. AR-RA'UF The Compassionate Nur v 20

82. AR-RABB The Sustainer Al-Imran v 51

83. AR-RAFI' The Sublime Mu'min v 15

84. AS-SALAM The Author of Safety, THe Provider of Peace Hashr v 23

85. AS-SAMI' The All-Hearing Al-Imran v 38

86. ASH-SHAKUR The Appreciative Mala'ikah v 34

87. ASH-SHAHID The Witness Nisa v 79

88. AS-SAMAD The Eternal Ikhlas v 2

89. ASH-SHAAKIR The Appreciative Al-Baqarah v 158

90. AT-TAWWAB The Acceptor of Repentance Mu'min v 3

91. AL-WAHHAB The Bestower Al-Imran v 18

92. AL-WASI The All-Embracing Al-Baqarah v 247

93. AL-WADUD The Loving Hud v 90

94. AL-WAKIL The Trustee Nisa v 81

95. AL-WALI The Protecting Friend Al-Baqarah v 257

96. AL-WAAHID The One Mu'min v 16

97. AL-WAALI The Governor Ra'd v 11

98. AL-WAARITH The Inheritor Hijr v 23

99. AZ-ZAHIR The Manifest Hadid v 3

Blessed   

Wooooohooo! Please don't overwhelm me with your enthusiasm!

Well, I thought it was a good idea at the time or maybe I’m the only dowsiyad that hasn’t memorized and learnt all the names. Never mind, eh!?

Fee Amaan Allah

Aisha   

aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww Kimiya, may Allah reward you for trying to get everyone involved. It's a really good idea though. I've always wanted to learn the names of Allah! I'm gonna try & memorize at least a little. I've never even heard of some of them!

Haseena   

Question:

Are there only ninety-nine names of Allaah, or are there more than that?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Bukhaari (2736) and Muslim (2677) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever learns them will enter Paradise.”

Some of the scholars (such as Ibn Hazm – may Allaah have mercy on him) understood this hadeeth as meaning that the names of Allaah are limited to this number. See al-Muhalla, 1/51

But what Ibn Hazm said is not supported by the majority of scholars. Rather some of them (such as al-Nawawi) narrated that the scholars are agreed that the names of Allaah are not limited to this number. It seems that they regarded the view of Ibn Hazm as odd and as something that should not be paid any attention.

In support of the view that the beautiful names of Allaah are not limited to this number, they quoted the report narrated by Ahmad (3704) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no-one who is afflicted by distress and grief, and says: ‘Allaahumma inni ‘abduka ibn ‘abdika ibn amatija naasyati bi yadika, maada fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka. As’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghayb ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’ huzni wa dhihaab hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant; my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety),’ but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with joy.” He was asked: “O Messenger of Allaah, should we learn this?” He said: “Of course; everyone who hears it should learn it.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 199.

The phrase “or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You” indicates that there are beautiful names of Allaah that He has kept with Him in the knowledge of the Unseen, and which none of His creation has come to know. This indicates that there are more than ninety-nine Names.

Shaykh al-Islam [ibn Taymiyah] said concerning this hadeeth in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (6/374):

This indicates that Allaah has more than ninety-nine names.

And he said (22/482):

Al-Khattaabi said: This indicates that He has names that He has preserved with Him, and that indicates that the words “Allaah has ninety-nine names, whoever learns them will enter Paradise” mean that there are ninety-nine of His names which whoever learns them will enter Paradise. This is like saying, “I have one thousand dirhams which I have prepared to give in charity,” even if his wealth is greater than that. In the Qur’aan Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them”

[al-A’raaf 7:180]

Allaah has commanded us to call upon Him by His names in general terms, He did not say that He has only ninety-nine names.

Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) stated in Sharh Saheeh Muslim that the scholars were unanimously agreed on that, and he said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that this hadeeth does not mean that Allaah has only ninety-nine names, or that He does not have any other names apart from these ninety-nine. Rather what the hadeeth means is that whoever learns these ninety-nine will enter Paradise. The point is that one may enter Paradise by learning them, not that the number is limited to these names.

And Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about that and replied:

The names of Allaah are not limited to a certain number. The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the saheeh hadeeth: “O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave… I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You.”

What Allaah has preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with Him cannot be known and what is not known is unlimited.

With regard to the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever learns them will enter Paradise,” this does not mean that He does not have any names apart from these, rather it means that whoever learns these ninety-nine of His names will enter Paradise. This is like when the Arabs say: “I have one hundred horses which I have prepared for jihad for the sake of Allaah,” which does not mean that the speaker has only these hundred horses, rather these hundred are prepared for this purpose.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 1/122.

Blessed   

Assalamu Alaikum,

Haseena,

Jizaak Allah Khair, for posting that fatwa. There's no doubt ou knowledge of Allah doesn't even compare to a drop of water in the ocean.

Aisha and Xalanle

Thank you both for showing interest, may Allah subhaanahu watacaala give us the iman to follow this through. I think a foursome (Haseena you’re with us right?) is better then a singleton. "Allah says: I am to my servant as he expects of Me, I am with him when he remembers Me. If he remembers Me in his heart, I remember him to Myself, and if he remembers me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly better than his..." (Bukhari and Muslim). What can be more honorable?

Okay, Xalanle and co

This is how it will work, every week - on Saturday (my lazy day :D )

I'll post 5 names, their meaning and the related hadiths or verses and we will memorize and reflect on what they teach us about Allah.

In the initial post I've suggested the end of January to be our completion date but realistically, we won't be able to get a through understanding of the names in that little time.

And no slacking, I'll be filling your PM box with threats if you fail to show up. icon_razz.gif and you do the same to me, insha Allah. smile.gif

If you guys have other suggestions, let me know. See you all back here on Saturday, insha Allah.

P.s Chck this out. It's a lovely flash with sound.

Ms DD   

Salaam aleykum

This is very beneficial and i always wanted to memorise Asma-ul Husnaa. I have been told that it is easier to memorise them in a song form if you listen to it number of times.

Here is a selection:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=639939640744315150

http://www.lightuponlight.com/islam/modules.php?name=Stream2&file=index&lid=399

http://www.qarxis.com/node/212

http://www.lightuponlight.com/islam/modules.php?name=Stream2&file=index&lid=695

Khayr   

One of the great shuyukh has given the advice that when calling on Allah, call upon Him through one of this 99 names i.e. Oh Ar-Rahman (Merciful), have Mercy on us. Ya al Razq (sustainer), gives us good provisions.

Anyways, looking forward to your input.

Blessed   

Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm really sorry for the delay, I just couldn't get online till now .

man in Malaysia, Khayr, Cambarro

Welcome. smile.gif

Man in Malaysia,

Walaal, share give us some pointers on how to best memorize and retain those names in our memory

Cambarro,

Those links are wonderful sister, jizaak Allah. I really like the Kamal Udin nasheed , will definately download it.

Khayr,

I've heard that too, there's this dua they play on Sharjah radio just before fajr and the Sheikh invokes Allah by His Beautiful Names.

Here’s this weeks name list. I’m going to post names with similar meanings together.

In the name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.

1. Allah - The Greatest Name

2. Al-Illah – The God

3. Al-Waahid – The One

4. Al- Ahad – The One

5. Al-Haqq – The Truth

6. Al-Quddoos – The Holy

7. Al-Awal - First

8. Al-Aakhir- The Last

9. Al-Hayy- The Ever-Living

10. As-Samad – The Eternal, The Self-Sufficient.

1. Allah

The Greatest Name

20:14

‘Allah’ is the proper name of the Creator, who alone is the worthy of Honour. The word cannot be translated and thus words such as God, Lord are poor substitutes for it. It has according to many reliable authorities no root and derivation.

2. Al-Illaah

The God

Quraan 21.108

The term ‘Illaah’ in Arabic means god. It can be used reference to any deity or thing that is taken as worship. In one verse Allah tacaala says; Have you seen he who takes his own desires as an Illah (Quraan 25:43). In this sense, putting your own desires besides or before the commands of Allah could lead to putting them in such a pedestal that it becomes a god besides the Al-Mighty. Al-Illah thus, refers to the One True God. (Quraan 2:163 ) which brings us to the Names;

3. Al-Waahid (Waaxid)

The One

Quraan 40: 16

4. Al- Ahad (Axad)

The One

Quraan 112:1

Waahid is the Arabic word for one. Al-Waahid is the name of God because He is the only One worthy of worship and He is One in His, Lordship, Names and Attributes and His Actions. Al-Ahad is synonymous with the name Al-Waahid but it places more emphasis on the oneness of Allah and it’s thus used specifically for Allah alone.

1. Al-Haqq

The Truth

Quraan 22:6

This is one of the most significant names of Allah and the word haqq appears in the Quraan 227 times. The existence of Allah is True, The promises of Allah such as the hereafter, heaven and hell are True and the message of the Quraan is the Truth, it correlates with scientific findings, there’s been not contradictions found within it and no one has been able to produce a single verse like it in 1400+years. It is Only Allah who reveals the Truth and nullifies falsehood. It is an obligation on us all to seek out this truth.

2. Al-Quddoos

The Holy

Quraan 59:23

Allah is Pure, free from drawbacks, faults, flaws and defects that our found in human beings. He is like no other and no other is like Him and cannot be encompassed by worldly understanding or wisdom.

7.Al-Awwal

The First

8. Al-Aakhir

The Last

(Quraan 57:3)

These two names are intertwined and always appear together. Al-Awwal means Allah was before the beginning when there was nothing and Al-Aakhir will be after the end when there will be nothing. He is Prior and Superior to all that exists and he is Final and Perfect in every respects.

9.Al-Hayy

The Ever-Living

(Quraan 3:2)

This attribute is similar to the name Al-Awwal. It means that Allah is eternal, deathless, ever living.

10.As-Samad

The Eternal, The Self-Sufficient

(Quraan 112:2)

As-Samad is the One Who does not give birth, nor was born, because there is nothing that is born except that it will die, and there is nothing that dies except that it leaves behind and inheritance, and indeed Allah does not die and leave behind an inheritance because He is Al-Awwal, Al-Aakhir, Al-Hayy.

Please, correct any mistakes, add your thoughts or share relevant links, articles, verses hadiths, etc.

Fee Amaan Allah!

Kimiya,u are late,today is monday. smile.gif .

First i thought we were gonna follow an alphabetical order of some sort,the list u provided gave me the thought but this is better.So its gonna be ten names every week or?

Blessed   

^*blushes* Sorry, it was honestly unavoidable. My laptops gone 'kaka'.

I did ten this time because these names went together. I'm personally not bothered either way - 5/10. I'll let ya'll decide....