Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Aden Hashi Ayro killed in US Airstrike

"Ayro received training in Afghanistan in the 1990s and was an instrumental military figure as the UIC took control of Mogadishu in the second half of 2006, says the head of the BBC's Somali Service Yusuf Garaad."

Air raid kills Somali militants

BBC

The leader of the military wing of an Islamist insurgent organisation in Somalia has been killed in an overnight air strike.

Aden Hashi Ayro, al-Shabab's military commander, died when his home in the central town of Dusamareb was bombed.

Ten other people, including a senior militant, are also reported dead.

A US military spokesman told the BBC that it had attacked what he called a known al-Qaeda target in Somalia, but refused to give further details.

Al-Shabab, considered a terrorist group by the US, is the military wing of the Somali Sharia courts movement, the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC), until Ethiopian troops ousted them in 2006.

The group has since regrouped and is in effect in control of large parts of central and southern Somalia.

'Scorched earth'

An al-Shabab spokesman, Mukhtar Robow Adumansur, told the BBC that Ayro was killed along with another militant commander in the attack.

Locals said it happened at about 0300 (0000 GMT).

We heard a huge explosion and when we ran out of our house we saw balls of smoke and flames coming out of house," Dusamareb resident Nur Geele told the BBC.

"The house was totally destroyed to the ground, also other houses nearby," local elder Ahmed Mumin Jama said.

Dr Ahmed Mahdi at Dusamareb Hospital told the BBC's Somali Service that he was treating eight civilians, including women and children, for burns and shrapnel wounds.

One of the women has since died, bringing the death toll so far to 11.

He said identifying the dead would prove difficult as the al-Shabab villa and surrounding mud houses and trees were now scorched earth.

Ayro received training in Afghanistan in the 1990s and was an instrumental military figure as the UIC took control of Mogadishu in the second half of 2006, says the head of the BBC's Somali Service Yusuf Garaad.

The US says al-Shabab is part of the al-Qaeda network, although correspondents say it is impossible to accurately establish those links.

Al-Shabab leaders say it is a purely Somali movement and they deny any involvement with al-Qaeda.

'No longer safe'

Mr Robow warned that there would now be revenge attacks by the al-Shabab.

"This incident will cause a lot problems to US interests in the region and the governments who support the US, by that I mean its allies who are puppets," he said, referring to Ethiopia which backs Somalia's interim government.

"I am letting the citizens of the US and the allies know they are not going to be safe in this area."

In its annual report on terrorism published on Wednesday, the US said al-Shabab militants in Somalia, along with al-Qaeda militants in east Africa, posed "the most serious threat to American and allied interests in the region".

Al-Shabab has been at the forefront of a guerrilla insurgency against the government and its Ethiopian allies since early 2007.

In recent weeks, they have briefly captured several towns in central and southern Somalia before withdrawing.

The US has launched several air strikes against suspected extremist targets in Somalia in recent months.

It has an anti-terror task force based in neighbouring Djibouti, and has accused Somali Islamists of harbouring those responsible for the 1998 attacks on its embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

The Islamists denied this.

Somalia has not had an effective national government since 1991.

Source: BBC

Abtigiis   

A terrible loss for Somali nationalists. The young clerk fought for his religion and dignity with unprecedented perseverance among Somali's at least. He will be thoroughly misssed; but Insha-allah his legacy will live on!

If I were fortunate to put an epigraph on his grave, it would have read: " May Allah's raxma and Naxariiis be upon you. You Are a hero, Sheekh Adan, and History won't forget you!"

I am grivieving with all the other Somali's and with his Families.

RIP but he was a man trained in Afghanistan for the sole reason of establishing an Islamic State in the Horn of Africa. He was neither patriot nor nationalist in the service of his country since he was completely opposed to our sovereignty, which draws its legitimacy from international norms.

He recognized not our blue flag. Saxib, don't be driven by clannistic sentiments. This is not about clan vs clan but a national interest against the importation of foreign ideaology hardened by dogmatic approach of leadership.

Jacpher   

ayroow121.gif

Al Jazeera

Somebody sold him out. They were precise with their strike.

NY Times wrote this.

Mr. Ayro had recently gone to Dhusamareb with a band of his fighters to help set up a local administration. But clan elders rejected him, said Mohammed Uluso, a leader of the *** clan, because the elders “didn’t want to mix up their legitimate goals with something suspicious.” That might have been part of Mr. Ayro’s undoing, because Somali officials said that people in Dhusamareb provided American forces with up-to-the-minute intelligence on Mr. Ayro’s movements.

Mr. Uluso said Mr. Ayro was small and thin and looked like “a high school student, not this big guy the Americans were after.” Mr. Uluso said he thinks the Shebab will continue to be a potent resistance force even after Mr. Ayro’s death because many young Somalis see the Shebab as a “heroic cause” in terms of standing up to the Americans. (Shebab is the Arabic word for youth.)

Abtigiis   

koora;

assuming my clan is what? Why do even the learned ones think in that line, saaxiib. Wax aan qabiil aheyn miyuuna ka jirin Somaliya ba?

Paragon   

A hero died today. He won't be forgotten and the struggle shall continue and succeed, Insha-Allah.

Alla ya raxma.

Biixi   

Hearing this news first I was happy, then seeing his picture, thinking about his deen, and ignoring the mistrust seven years of tribal civil war has put on my heart I was overcome with sadness. Mayy Allah heal our hearts (including shabaab) and may Allah forgive him and guide those following his foot steps.

Allaha u naxariisto marxuumka intuu ka tagayna samir iyo iimaan eebe ha ka siiyo.

Aden Xaashi wasn't sold out by anyone, the US just happened to get lucky this time. Remember all those bombings by the US which only rearranged dirt and lest we forget killed scads of innocent people and their livestock. Also, the US has Somalia on constant surveillance. This time they got the Law of averages on their side.

Anyways, Aden Xaashi died honorably defending his country from a cruel enemy who wants to subjugate him. Let me tell you something else, he died a manly death unlike many of us in the diaspora who will most likely die of girly deaths like angina, heart attack, arthritis etc. A manly death with guns all ablaze or a sissy death? I don't know about you but I'll have me a manly death any day of the week.

I read it first in Huffingtonpost. Too bad it wasn't robow aka Abu Mansur, that criminal should have been blasted instead of this other dude, but a strike is a strike. Robow won't be far from the next hit. Good target and hooraay to the innocent informants who gave this precise intel, or else the hit wouldn't have been as successful.

This just assured me now more than ever that people of xamar do not want these goons aka shabaabs to represent them nor do they want to be associated with them.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Isseh:

A hero died today. He won't be forgotten and the struggle shall continue and succeed, Insha-Allah.

Alla ya raxma.

Indeed, he made mistakes and errors which can't be defended! Still, the man was a dedicated libaax: took part in the war in the SOmali Galbeed region against Xabashis; then the war In Gedo region with Xabashis; and finally was an influential figure in the current Halgan! Ilahay ha u naxaristo! Ameen!