Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

SOMALILAND: President Silaanyo to address Chatham House

Thankful   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Whatever reply he gave you would not really matter, would it?
:D

97% was the magic number. Do you know how that was arrived at?

Thats exactly what I am asking him, I want to know how this vote was done. Because there is only one way to secede'and that is through a internationally recognized referendum!

Also, how can you say that 97% of people vote in favor of something when you are unable to even send ballot boxes to every place.

So again JB...who voted 97%...when and where did this take place and how?

The Zack   

^They will come back and tell you they were never part of Somalia or they were a country even before Somalia was one :D:D .

The 97% number came from odayaashii cadheysanaa ee duriyadda ee ku shiray Burco waagaas. Odayaashii qaar bey cadhadi ka degtay 20 sano kadib oo sheekada go'itaanka iskaga baxay.

Thankful   

They can't possibly think that in this day and age a small group (in this case elders) can decide the fate of an entire group. They have to realize that all over Africa countries decide through referendum?

Originally posted by The Zack:

^They will come back and tell you they were never part of Somalia or they were a country even before Somalia was one
:D:D

They can't say that

For instance Eritrea is an EXCELLENT example!! For obvious reasons.

Even though they were able to defeat Ethiopia in a war in 1991 after 30 years it was demanded that they hold a referendum in 1993 which was called UN Observer Mission to Verify the Referendum in Eritrea or UNOVER.... which was Following a UN-supervised referendum in Eritrea (dubbed UNOVER) in which the Eritrean people overwhelmingly voted for independence, Eritrea declared its independence and gained international recognition in 1993.[10]

The 97% of elders voting is not sufficient!

No matter what JB says or Ngonge, they know that even if (for arguments sake) they were to get independence a referendum would have to be held in all area's that they claim their enclave borders fall with in!

NGONGE   

^^ I started by saying that whatever we told you would not matter. You disagree with the whole idea of SL, saaxib. So why waste your time and ours on this nonsense? :D

The figure of 97% is of those that voted for the Somaliland constitution (which includes a clause about independence). If you google you will find.

Originally posted by The Zack:

^They will come back and tell you they were never part of Somalia or they were a country even before Somalia was one
:D:D

The 97% number came from odayaashii cadheysanaa ee duriyadda ee ku shiray Burco waagaas. Odayaashii qaar bey cadhadi ka degtay 20 sano kadib oo sheekada go'itaanka iskaga baxay.

I love the way you are sure of yourself when you don't know a thing about this issue. :D

Thankful   

Lol, Ngonge atleast I am up front about my position about secessionists. You on the other hand pretend that your issue is only with Faroole for some reason, when it is quite obvious there is way more to it!

I did google and did my research. Apparently no international organization participated it in, specifically the UN who refused. There was no census taken and the NWSomalia government relied on "elders" to decide on who can vote.

this is what I found:

BBC

The vice-chairman of the national constitutional commission said he was hoping for a turnout of 60%.

But the vote is not straight forward:

•There is no census, so community elders are deciding who should vote

•In two areas local people are divided over whether they should belong to Somaliland or the neighbouring administrative region of Puntland

•Some in Somaliland do not want to break from Somalia at all

Also, the 97% vote, is supcicious in my own opinion, considering a year after the "vote" Riyaale was kicked out of Lascaanood.

Anyways, I think you and I can agree whether it is fair or not, in Africa a UN recognized referendum must take place in all area's that you claim your borders fall with in for independence to be granted.

Anyways, Thanks!

NGONGE   

^^ Doesn't need to. June 2010 saw to that.

Originally posted by Thankful:

Lol, Ngonge atleast I am up front about my position about secessionists. You on the other hand pretend that your issue is only with Faroole for some reason, when it is quite obvious there is way more to it!

Told you that you would not agree. :D

As for Faroole. Stop being paranoid, saaxib. Yes there are political differences between SL & PL (and clan differences), these will probably always remain. I will always take the SL side (obviously & politically speaking). However, when it comes to Faroole, it is something personal. Also, unlike our positions on Somaliland (where you disagree and I fully agree), Faroole is actually someone we can both despise, saaxib. Have you ever seen me badmouthing Abdullahi Yusef (and he was ten times the man Faroole is), have you ever seen me talk about Cade? Wax fahan.