Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Peace keepers : Nigeria

Nigeria to deploy troops in Cote d'Ivoire, Congo, Somalia

www.chinaview.cn 2005-02-26 00:39:26

LAGOS, Feb. 25 (Xinhuanet) -- Nigeria is to send troops to three troubled African countries -- Cote d'Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Somalia, the official News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported Friday.

NAN quoted Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo as saying that the role of the military should not necessarily be that of waging wars, but maintaining peace globally like what happened in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

"We may have to send troops to these countries in addition to what we have in other African countries and the Middle East. I believe that our soldiers are equal to the task," Obasanjo said on Thursday at the closing ceremony of the Nigerian Army training at the army training center in Nigeria's northwestern state of Niger.

Obasanjo charged the soldiers to be ready for non-war operations which would involve making and keeping peace, saying that the military training should focus on world peace.

Obasanjo, who is also current chairman of the African Union, promised that the training center which was abandoned for a long time would be equipped to ensure professionalism in the Nigerian Army.

He said that in democracy the function of the military was to ensure defense and security as well as to make and keep peace in conflict areas.

The Nigerian troops have played an important role in peacekeeping mission in Liberia, Sierra Leone and in the Middle East. Enditem

Sky   

somali doqonsanaa. ETs are much better than nigerians, if i was reer muqdisho i would be screaming if nigerians would be coming, walaahi these guys are monsters. the only thing they do good is their job but if you research and see what they did in countries they were deployed than you will forget to breathe. example= if you just look at them in a wrong way, they will make you pay for it.

Abwaan   

somali doqonsanaa. ETs are much better than nigerians, if i was reer muqdisho i would be screaming if nigerians would be coming, walaahi these guys are monsters. the only thing they do good is their job but if you research and see what they did in countries they were deployed than you will forget to breathe. example= if you just look at them in a wrong way, they will make you pay for it.

sky.african I think foreign forces will all have their weaknesses even if they are Europeans or Americans. I agree with you that Nigerian forces will take their corruption with them but at least they don't have a direct interest in Somalia and don't occupy part of our land and they will probably have many muslim soldiers. Nigerians were in Mogadishu as part of the UNISOM forces. I don't know how much you know about what happened in Somalia years back but they must have learned many lessons cause there were times that they tried to mess around and they were attacked by Somalis. It was on TVs around the world.

Even if Nigerian forces were the worst I wouldn't think that justifies bringing Ethiopian forces in Somalia.

Sky   

abwaan i dont like ethiopians but they aint like before. they changed a lot, the only ones who are messing up are somalis themselves.

ka waran, zone 5 in ethiopia of the somalis, its more backward and underdeveloped compared to the other ethnicities' states than it used to be. why? somalis are killing each other in almost every district, somalis toppled 6 somali zone presidents, the most dominant clan the og fought over wich of their own cities should be capital, godey, jigjiga or qabridahare? the ethiopians even gave their sworn enemies onlf the rule but they are marred in corruption.

ka waran?

some somalis should analyse themselves and not fingerpoint others as if we are inferior to them. this is one of somalis' many weaknesses, total lack of truth and reality.

Horaa waxaa hadal udhameeyay Maxmed dheer oo hadalkiisa ku soo koobay "yuhuud xataa nookeena hadii aan dhibkaan kaga baxeeno"

soomaalia waxaan dhibaato ku jirnaa 15 sano haduul ilaah naga saaro wadanka waxaa u soo baxaayo dadka hada u soo kacaayo marka dadkaan halyeeyada ah ha is ku dhamaadaan wadanka na nabad hanoo ga dhigaan. Ha dii saan lagu sii jiro waxaa soo baxaayo rag kaloo kudhashtay xabada oo wata magacyo ah xabad laqe iyo xabad kama gabade aykaana na hogaamin doona.