Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

And It Is AGAIN Postponed ! ! !

MOGADISHU, July 15 (Reuters) - A major peace meeting opened in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Sunday but was immediately postponed to Thursday while organisers waited for participants.

"Since there are some delegates who are absent, some of whom we expected to arrive today and others tomorrow, we have agreed to put off the conference until Thursday," the chairman of the organisers, Ali Mahdi Mohamed, told the gathering.

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist rebels fired mortar bombs at the opening ceremony of a Somali peace meeting on Sunday but missed their heavily-guarded target.

President Abdullahi Yusuf was addressing several hundred clan elders, ex-warlords and politicians at a former police compound in northern Mogadishu when the shells fell nearby.

"Anybody who wants to throw things at us, let him go ahead. We will not be cowed. The conference will go ahead," Yusuf said moments before three explosions rumbled in the streets outside.

"Do not fear," Yusuf said, as anxiety spread through the packed hall. "You will only die when your stated time comes."

Islamist insurgents had vowed to attack the meeting. Local media said three civilians were hurt in the mortar blasts, but a senior police commander denied that.

"Three mortars were hurled from very far away," said the officer, who declined to be named. "There were no casualties ... We intend to tighten security even further."

Moments after the blasts, the peace conference was adjourned until Thursday while the organisers waited for more delegates to reach the coastal capital.

Officials said most of the 1,350 invited participants from across the Horn of Africa nation had now arrived for the talks, which have been delayed twice due to security fears.

The conference is seen as the interim government's best hope of securing peace and strengthening its legitimacy.

Yusuf's administration has struggled to impose its authority on the impoverished country since ousting a hardline Islamic Courts movement from Mogadishu in late December.

Government troops and their Ethiopian military allies ringed the venue, searching everyone entering the compound, while soldiers on tanks and trucks fitted with heavy guns looked on.

Violence fuelled by bitter clan rivalries has foiled 13 previous attempts to set up central rule in Somalia since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was overthrown in 1991.

Envoys from several EU member states had planned to attend the opening ceremony, diplomats said, but were unable to when the United Nations cancelled their flight late on Friday.

When the talks get underway properly, they are expected to focus on clan reconciliation, disarmament and the sharing of natural resources. But many Somalis say the government should be talking to the insurgents instead

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070715/tpl-uk-somalia-conflict-81f3b62.html

Coloow   

GD, do you sincerely blv that those who throw mortars and attack the da-abadhilif government are "islamists" alone?????

Coloow   

Let the supporters of the "P-uppet) government tell us. They are good at deceiving the world and cashing on the terrorism ticket!

What we do know is that these so called 'Islamists' announcing that they will pursue these attacks and also do take credit for it. Lets face it, most disgruntled clan-members are already done deal (they already know they lost the power-struggle) and the only persistent opposition groups are the ones claiming to have a noble cause. And their all being occasionally supported by the ICU in Asmara too. So its pretty easy to deduct who is behind these attacks, nothing concealable here buddy.

Somali Islamists say anyone taking part in reconciliation conference is 'sentenced to death'

The threat came from the Shabab, the militant wing of an Islamic group that ruled much of southern Somalia for six months last year. The group was driven from its strongholds in December but has vowed to launch an Iraq-style insurgency until Somalia is ruled by an Islamic theocracy.

The Shabab termed Sunday's meeting in Mogadishu a "conspiracy conference against the Somali people."

"Anyone who participates

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/14/africa/AF-GEN-Somalia.php

Coloow   

Good old chap!

You and I are somalis (let us spare ourselves what non-somalis write- for the sake of argument).

This so called government which you love is composed of warlords, tribalists, murderers, rapists and what have you (TERRORISTS) who have stuck the somali name ito their A-SSES. Would resisting them makes one a terrorist?

Those who are fighting it do so because of different reasons; religion, nationalism, economic.

I have yet to see a good reason why these thug (aka government) should be supported.

Fabregas   

A so called reconciliation conference guarded by an occupying army was a great joke in the first place. Imaginr Israel set up a reconciliation conference for Palestinians?

Mr Halgan

The issue at question is not about your allegations that the TFG consists of rapists and whatnot but that you asked if the assailants throwing mortars are 'Islamists' alone; hence I supported you with the latest article on the issue outlaying an opposition group claiming to be 'Islamic', namely the Shabaabs, eager interest for indiscriminately assassinating anyone who attends the NRC gathering. Also, even if we would put the "non-somali newspaper" aside for a moment, both you and I are well aware that its the mentioned opposition group, linked to ICU, that is carrying out the bulk of these attacks. Marka yaan been isku sheegin saxib, arinta waa mid iska cad.

A so called reconciliation conference guarded by an occupying army was a great joke in the first place. Imaginr Israel set up a reconciliation conference for Palestinians?

looooooool

If for logistical reasons i.e. awaiting envoys en route to the beloved, heavenly capital, the conference has been extended to Thursday, then what is the fuss all about? Or is it a case of the young Turks of the secessionist triangle wishing for the befalling of the seven skies that which shall irk not.

Or is it a case of the invidious, resentful, dole-grasping minnows in the Diaspora spewing odious particles for evocative discourse is not a subject with which they are acquainted.

Silly me, I forgot, it is neither --- they are just reporting the events! Could not resist,

Tata...

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Samurai Warrior:

If for logistical reasons i.e. awaiting envoys en route to the beloved, heavenly capital, the conference has been extended to Thursday, then what is the fuss all about? Or is it a case of the young Turks of the secessionist triangle wishing for the befalling of the seven skies that which shall irk not.

Or is it a case of the invidious, resentful, dole-grasping minnows in the Diaspora spewing odious particles for evocative discourse is not a subject with which they are acquainted.

Silly me, I forgot, it is neither --- they are just reporting the events! Could not resist,

Tata...

I am sure that some of your family took dole once upon a time(no offense). Anyway marka wax agu hadlo la waayo wa lagu ooya "seccionist" iyo looters. But now we have a new which is:

quote:Or is it a case of the invidious, resentful, dole-grasping minnows

Wont be long before the rest of the T.F.G cre sings the above chorus.