Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

u.s. saids: ''New Oppurtunity'' now exist for Somalia

LANDER   

“We are training two battalions of Burundians, we’ve procured equipment for those battalions, and we will assist in their deployment. And so we are working with other governments. Secretary Rice has also reached out to Nigerian President [umaru] Yar'Adua to talk about the deployment of Nigerians, as well as President [John] Kufuor, with Ghanaians. So we are working. We also need to do more with the United Nations and get the United Nations involved,” she said.

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2007&m=November&x=20071107164317WCyeroC0.9171978&chanlid=democracy

As long as Somalis are being mercilessly being murdered in Mogadisho and its environs, there will be no peace or hope for change. Uncle Sam's backing of the Tigray regime was mistake, and would likely come back to huant them in the end/

Baashi   

Again one ought to look one's bottom line. This conflict has no end in sight. There is a reason for that. One way of ending is all out war. Each faction using all its cards a la by any means necessary. It is costly in terms of blood and treasure. One other option is to let things take its course and pin Somalis hope on unknown factors coming from sky. There is another option. Not perfect by any means. This one has to do with a paradigm shift. Changing the zero sum game mentality to more reasonable approach of ending this conflict through negotiation.

"When asked about how long it will take before the Somali federal forces can stand on their own, Frazer reminded the interviewer that Somalia has been without a government for more than 16 years. “Now the Transitional Federal Government is trying to put in place the institutions to have a transition to an elected government by 2009. Ethiopian troops have not been there for 16 years. So to blame the Ethiopian troops is a faulty analysis and it takes the responsibility away from Somalis themselves."

LANDER   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Again one ought to look one's bottom line. This conflict has no end in sight. There is a reason for that. One way of ending is all out war. Each faction using all its cards a la by any means necessary. It is costly in terms of blood and treasure. One other option is to let things take its course and pin Somalis hope on unknown factors coming from sky. There is another option. Not perfect by any means. This one has to do with a paradigm shift. Changing the zero sum game mentality to more reasonable approach of ending this conflict through negotiation.

^why not drop the talk of 'paradigm shift'? This 'holy' son of somalia act, neutral and objective to all 'competing parties', does not suit you. Runta sheeg niyo, you want the yeey foreign government to succeed so you may one day be hired on as an external advisor perhaps? :D

Baashi   

Do they have foreign policy? smile.gif That's news to me buddy. I want justice for all awoowe. I want peace for the folks at home.

I have a job. It is a rewarding job. I make a decent bundle the halal way. I have peace. I have security. I have a safety net. I have access to all of the government services. I lead a normal life here in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I don't need my clan nor do I need my sub clan. In the event my rights are violated or my security is endangered, I can call the police and they'll take care things.

Why on the blue earth will I side with Inna Yey and his cabal. What's in it for me awoowe? I have the courage to stand for my conviction. If I'm convinced that the opposition or the transitional entity get things right I will support them. As things stand now neither one got it right. Waa wada lunsan yihiin.

My heart goes out to the civilian and innocent residents who are paying the ultimate price. I do oppose Ethiopia. I am for defeating the Tigre forces. But I don't see a viable plan of doing that.

Negotiated settlement is in the interest of the people on the ground. Any decent Somali who has the interest of his fellow Muslims at heart wants to end this prolonged conflict first. You are hung up of who says what without even examining the substance of what's being suggested. Pity!

PS: By the way I'm for Somaliweyn smile.gif

Juje   

Originally posted by Baashi:

My heart goes out to the civilian and innocent residents paying the ultimate price. I do oppose Ethiopia. I am for defeating the Tigre forces. But I don't see a viable plan of doing that.

Negotiated settlement is the in interest of the people on the ground. Any decent Somali who has the interest of his fellow Muslims at heart wants to end this prolonged conflict first. You are hung up of who says what without even examining the substance of what's being suggested.

Hear hear..!

We should commend her actions even if we despise her persona, its called dancing with the devil. If she can speed up the process of bringing other AU, UN forces to Xamar Cadey then why not encourage her.

Now I am not saying that the violence against innocent civilians in my city of birth will stop, but it would ease the negotiation process that Bashi recommended in option three. (As a calculative man I always pick the most life and cost effective method)

NASSIR   

I truly believe the United States must step up its support for the AMISOM and Somali government if its concern for Somalia is genuine. So far, nothing largely tangible has been received from Washington.