Sign in to follow this  
Grad Student

Somalians!?

The term to describe people who are from Somalia is SOMALIS not Somalians. How many times do you see Somalis being refer as Somalians in the papers? but then again, it doesn't really matter!

UFEEY...I know what you mean. Forget the paper's I hate it when the bloody Somali's themselves make that mistake. Heck we do it in here. Most recent case the topic called "How "Somalian" are you" :rolleyes:

Bad habits die hard I guess.

Hello Folks,

This is an old reply

To say that the word "Somalian", if it be referred to a person from Somalia, is a misnomer, betrays a gross ignorance of the english language. The word Somalian is, in fact, a standard or formal english word, which is to be found in most english lexicons. The word Somalian can be used either as an adjective (i.e somalian food is a delicacy) or as a noun (i.e. He is a Somalian ).

In the english language, the latin suffixes ian and an signify "belonging to" or "relating to"; thusly it is often used to indicate and describe a person who comes from a particular place. For instance, someone who resides in the city of Toronto would be called a Torontonian. Needless to say, the afore-mentioned suffix has other uses, but that is not the cardinal concern herein.

It is perchance true that the noun, Somali , is more common than the use of the noun, Somalian; however, both nouns are acceptable under the rules of Syntax.

Forget the english rules, it is English speaking world denying people of their name and holding them hostage by calling whatever they like and not closely consulting the people concerned. Look at the Cities [Mumbai = Bombay]and even countries [Myanmar = Burma]they gave names of their own.

It is useless to use the english grammar rules, en lieu of doing a proper research of how people would like to call themselves.

Somali is both noun as well as adjective. One can say "somali food" instead of "somalian food".

Somalia is the country and Somali are the people and anything that belongs to the country and the people.

...Fii amaani Laah.

Forget the english rules, it is English speaking world denying people of their name and holding them hostage by calling whatever they like and not closely consulting the people concerned. Look at the Cities [Mumbai = Bombay]and even countries [Myanmar = Burma]they gave names of their own.

So you think we ought to forget the "english rules" and perhaps substitute sentiment in its place? Disputes with pertinicous men , who engage in an argument from affection, out of a spirit of opposition, are, of all others, the most irksome, good Aniga. Both Somali and Somalian are english words (review the Oxford Dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary, Websters Dictionary etc.), which can be used as nouns. Thusly, the fulmination, as it were, against the usage of the word Somalian is misplaced. I suppose Somalis will never vaccillate to ululate against the flimsiest of matters. Oh, how accurate is the description: Somalians, the ever-baying species!

Perhaps most Somalis would feel wronged and mocked if they be called "Somalians". However, the emotions of Somalians does not play a role in formative linguistics; some Somalis(i.e. myself) are indifferent, much less offended, when they are called Somalians, because the word Somalian

A) only has a denotation and not a connotation

B)it is semantically healthy

C) it is in accordance with the rules of syntax

The argument that Somalis find the word Somalian to be a misnomer is, at best, subjective and not objective. A storm you shall find in subjectivity; an oasis, in objectivity.

Do you want to conduct surveys, interviews, and the like (i.e. proper research) to ascertain whether the majority of Somalis dislike the word Somalian? Should such you do, pirthee, do query them as to the rationale of their distaste of the word Somalian. Finally, have you any objective argument as to why the word "Somalian" is a misnomer. Now, you see, the argument that, "most somalis do not like to be referred to as Somalians" is subjective, because

1. Many of my somali acquaintences refer to themseleves as Somalians. In fact, at times, even I refer to myself as a Somalian

2. People's sentiments, however volatile and misplaced, need not conform to linguistic principles.

3. If the word does not have a connotation, then one cannot object to its employment.

Ah, what obfuscation arises when language goes on holiday, said the seasoned linguist.

With Salaams

PK

I wholeheartedly agree with mutakalim on this particular issue, there is nothing wrong with the word or being called "Somalian" as long as there aren't any associations that accompany it.

I’m Somalian and you all are Somalians to me.

asxantu

juba   

its really not that big of a deal i really don't care which it is just depends on my mood! if it has the root word "somali" im good.

BOB   

i am SOMALI and i don't give a monkey's red behind about who says what and what paper refers to me as Somalian and anyone who has a problem with that should SUE me for all i care.

Peace, Love & Unity.

chubacka   

Damn, CHILL ppl

There are more important things to get angry about..

Does it really matter as long as people understand eachother?

What, after all is the purpose of language?

COMMUNICATION

As long as ppl understand eachother does it really matter??

Somali or Somalian

same difference as far as Iam concerned, some person from Somalia.

Is this pc gone mad?

Miriam1   

Lady, it is not dumb at all....its....all about not being put into that cateogary...albanians, indians..and they continue on, its easy for ignorant ppl to use the "ian" ending indiscrimnatly, we are SOMALIS...and its cool to be different... like the Turks,...couldnt think of more..

Qataris?

end

Emperor   

Why does it matter?? is not an offence is it? Just simple mistake

Reminds me of UK Panorama documentary I watched last night, Pakistanis referred as Pakis, the funny thing was when they showed a clip of George Bush saying the Pakis to them :D:D:D , while most of the community were so offended with word.

For me I really don't mind whether you call me Somalian or Samali/s it never really bothers me, Is just English(not mine) mistake, is not my lingo nor am I from Oxford so I couldn't careless. So long you mention that word SOO-MAAL(DO-MILKING) im alrite with anything u say after that let alone bloody English language miskate, I don't care. Plain and Simple