Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Puntland, the state that was!

Jamster   

Puntland, the state that was!

More than a decade had elapsed since the making of this state. It was initially dreamt up by his Yey who wanted to solidify his power base- it was initially a SSDF affair. After the first days of the meeting, SSC leader gate crashed the conference and pleaded “brother where art thou? The cries of younger H sons were responded to the brave sons of elder Mohammed who of course thought Siciid and moorasaante will be left in the cold at the risk of the neighbouring jackals. Thus Puntland was born.

THIS IS HOW GAROWE, GALKACAYO and BOOSO citizens remember that monumentally consequential meeting- young brother’s gate crashing to their older brother’s party – excuse the poor imagery, but you get my drift.

2009, January. Numerous people who hail from Puntland and in particular the SSC are mourning as they see once again their intelligent, proven, honest and superb candidate cheated by a charlatan of a man. A man who was disgraced and widely known to be nothing a Mo$YA&AN in a silky clothing. Why one must ask? The answer lies under the rubric of..... oh well, you know I mean. Let me explain in the most simplest way my dear nomad. Remember in my first paragraph. Let me refresh your memory Puntland was as many believe instigated and was for Booso, Garowe and Galkacayo. It was the SSC tolnimo (but according to 'Trinity' fear of the jackals up north) that made them join this venture. They did not negotiate with others and accepted the shambolic power distribution which was based on regional and districts rather than empirical clan divisions or census led population distribution- that is why dear reader Bari alone has almost same number in the parliament compared to all SSC put together and the rational behind that is; wait for it because Bari has 5 districts- I am saying this as a matter of fact; yes BARI deserves such large number, cirka soo boowe ama odeygii siyaad ahaa kasoo saar qabriga maqaraaree?. So, you see the disparity is enshrined in the constitution of Puntland where the elder brother has more members in the parliament than the rest of the other tribes put together--- balance of power? my horribly formed foot I say.

Road forward?

Either the complete disintegration or re-constitution of Puntland otherwise the ‘Trinity’ will always be in power because of unbalanced parliament. Domocracy wont work bruv when dovernments are based on such idiotic measures.

DUKE

It is an affront to compare the Makhir people (to be fair I have inferred the premise) to the African Americans. How double dare you guv? Or was that a Freudian slip?

Disclaimer- I am a Puntland supporter and keen to main the status quo. This whole thing was an excercise of .......!

Jamster   

Xiin, do you mean you agree with my brash but truthful depiction of our sorry state of affairs?

I am waiting Dukey's input on this.

Emperor and Co- I will simply ignore your comments as you are partisan.

Ngone and Co- you will deserve one liners.

Others- you shall have my undevided attention. I will respond any question you have however silly it might sound to the enlightened mind :D

NGONGE   

^^ A one liner will do me fine. Not that I have much to say on the internal disputes of Puntland, saaxib.

ps

Duke will furstrate you. :D

Fahiye, your harsh language aside, you're demanding political reform for PL to survive. And I share that sentiment adeer. I wouldn’t call Puntland’s complete disintegration though. That would not help anyone’s concern.

Fahiye, you made some good points that are worth commenting, I also see some anger and frustration in your sentiment toward only one particular group. Let me start saying this, in my humble opinion there is no united SSC as you make us to believe. And if I were you, I would have directed my frustration at the forks you are defending to be the victims for not giving all their vote to the Gen. Those votes alone would have clinched him to the bench. I would agree with you thought that the system as you called "shambolic" power distribution is unfair and needs reform. I will also agree with you that the Gen would have been much better president than the man we know now as El-pres Faroole. But what I don't agree is this conspiracy theory you believe as the so called "Trinity" secret dealings. I am saying this, because if I understand what you meant by the "Trinity" well, they have 13 seats in the 66 seat parliament. Let's put the fairness of it or how/why they get it aside for now. And those 13 members have never voted for same candidate in all of those selection held in PL. All am saying is that every one of those "trinity" elected was elected with the blessings of the same guys you are crying for(SSC) without them,there would never have been trinity elected. The elder "Maxamed" as you call them, have 30 MPs in the parliament the rest have 36. So, even if all them unite behind one candidate they would still come short... Let this go man and work toward the way to improve things rather calaal..jks

Discl. I don't know if I am Emp and co group or not. I will wait where you put me :D

Jamster   

Mr Gheele,

My fellow, it is terribly short sighted of you read the above words other than what they are- a empirical observation done by a concerned citizen perhaps unlike Xiin you couldn’t see through the thickness of harshness in my words. Further, I Mr Fahiye of 3 Duke Street is far from angry, if anything I am indeed jubilant at the outcome of this constitutional election. It proves my reasoned theories which I have long formulated in forums outside the cyber world.

Gheele “.....Those votes alone would have clinched him to the bench” If it was not friday I would I have accused you of being a fabricator and could have substantiated with figures. You will then come back and say, it was a mistake then I would have you where I wanted- to portray you as unreliable expert in Puntland’s political system. But I will let you off as I am feeling generous this dawn.

Xiin, Xaasha inaader, I won’t wish that on our home. However, when the home you wanted to build for your family is made a muck of by the hired builder, oftentimes, to rectify it would seek a serious rethink and you might want to deconstruct it in order to build the suitable home you wanted. I am of the opinion, we need that deconstruction as the house isn’t balanced otherwise, it won’t be the 6 rooms we initially wanted. This is a serious and needs blue sky thinking.

Ngone, I like Duke as he is a believer.

PS: Gheelow Calaal halamash naagaa leh- Are you an student of out people Somali Lit, perhaps Baashe and Xiin might lend you a helping hand.I cry not even when I am in pain- today I am in a jubilant mood as my predictions has come pass; I know that sounds rather uncaring :D

me   

Fahiye makes an interesting point there. But I think that he is a bit too cautious.

Puntland is beyond reconstitution. Lama dhoob dhoobikaro hada. The time to go separate ways has come.

Puntland will do better on its own then when it is saddled with the problems of other regions. Why should the taxpayers of Bosaso pay for the schools in Buuhoodle? Why should the sons of Gaalkayco die for the defense of Laas Caanood?

Each constituency should work on putting it's own house in order.

The state of Awadal

The State of Somaliland

The Maakhir State

The Darwish State

The Puntland State

Every grouping running its own affairs, while living together as good and brotherly neighbors and recognizing our shared Somali and muslim identity.

Jamster   

ME, your last statement is one of error. It goes far beyond our clannish quibles and cements Ethiopia's claim that "Somalis where never a coherently orginised lot, they were clans who had no common interest other than looting each other's camels and driving each other out of territories' . I resent such a deangerous premise.

I dont want these silly mini states. It is not in the interest of our people (Somalida). We need to have a central but loosely governed Somali government that is coherent and progressive.

NASSIR   

Brother Fahiye, Yusuf was too unsophisticated for the formation of Puntland though he gets most of the credit(take an example of Prof. Said's long article). It was actually to the support and idea of Abdalla Hirad, at the time a UNDP Program administrator for Somalia and his PHD wife, at the time Charge De affairs for Somalia.

The navigation and the conceptual process of Puntland came up and was implemented after the power-sharing humiliation in the Cairo peace comference in which both Yusuf and late Gabyow walked out in protest.

As you all know Col. Yusuf has been a close friend of Hirad and the master idea of Puntland was indeed his despite Yusuf having succeeded mustering the resources and power to convince H- sultans and elders for the grand conference that was held in Garowe.

Adeer, good luck.

NASSIR   

Fahiye, the borrowed phrases that Duke used do not in any way suggest comparison of Makhirians with African Americans like "change you can believe in". He also employed other familiar phrases like "battle ground states" for Sool region and the district of Buhodle. Saxib, your insinuation of references to which you accused of Duke is itself an affront to the Makhirians. What alternative would these phrases suggest other than our people's yearning for democracy and good governance?

Jamster   

Caamir, come on brother- I was teasing our Duke and he is a man I am told who can give it as good as he gets it; a man's man of a brother as it were.

Now let get back to the business of Puntland. Whoever this Hirad is (excuse my ignorance I am a young lad and most of political acumen has been accumulated for the past 7 years or so) but one thing is for sure. That Puntland was the brainchild of the old man Yey- Dont fall for the idiotic hype, Abdullahi though not a genious he is a artful political master. Further, the issue if the perception and the popular believe isnt a fact then dear lad the Makhir's and the Darwiish deserved what they got as a allocation within the Puntland Parliament. You must agree dear brother that when it comes to power no one forgo's his share for the goodness of the people- that is why Somalia is in this mess; unless you are advancing the premise that our Makhiri brother are unique breed of it own as far as Somali political shenenigan's are concerned?

All in all, there will be a revolution or the Villa that is Puntland will ineed be reduced to nothing but a three bedroom apartment--nevertheless a beautiful one I must add.

Faahiye

PS: I will never insult in anyway any Somali Qabiil let alone suggest something lowly against Caruurteyda abtigood. I love all Somalis, Makhiri's have a particular place in my heart.

Fahiye, call me a fabricator or naive when it comes to PL's politics of today, but what I know is that SSC as you call it have 28 seat in that parliament. If united, that gives any candidate a headway to the three bedroom apartment. The sad thing is that there are no SSC sort of unity as some want us to believe.

Concern citizen or not, what exactly are the reforms that you want to see/implement? And one last question for ya'll mourners :D . If the Gen Ilka would have won the election, would you still call for this re-constitution of PL parliament? or the win itself would have tamed the concern and you all be in celebratory mood? :D

Ps: Fahiye, I am junior student when it comes to Somali lit/poems or what have you, and I will indeed would ask my Buddy Xiin to help me in that dept. :D

Fahiye, my old friend I hope all is well with you.

I don’t know where I compared my kinsmen to African Americans or any other ethnic group. As for the points you made, they are nothing new and I have come across them in many web portals specially those hostile to the interest of the Puntland people.

Its understandable though I don’t have much time for this raw anger and frustration, yes our candidate and Duke’s lost and Mr Fahiye with all due respect Gen Abdullahi was not a Makhir candidate but the candidate of many people from across Puntland.

My dear lad, you seem to be nothing more than a new comer and a spoiler, how many posts on SOL did you create for the candidate who’s loss you are now using to vex your anger at a segment of Puntland?

Also this was an open election and Faroole [not my candidate] but today my president won an overwhelming victory, how was this achived and why and what role did the MP’s from SSC play in Faroole’s victory?

Puntland has now its fourth President in a decade and is heading towards change. Instead of pointing fingers and whaling at a sub-clan start by presenting alternatives.

Faroole did not win because of Duke, he won because like the previous election he played his hand well and surprised all the fron runners from Ilka-Jiir, Nuridin, and his main target Cade Muse and others. The man has to be given credit for he is a skilled politician, he got rid of Mohamed Abdi Hashi and now Cade Muse.

Your concern has been noted, but don’t overplay the SSC card dear lad.

Emperor   

Fahiye, although you have accused me of being partisan and chose to disgregard or ignore my input, nevertheless I will say few things regarding your topic and the issue at hand.

Brother Puntland is not perfect, never have been and never will be, the matter of the fact is also members of the parliament we have aren't doing their job and voting for the biggest bidder, that's the issue we need to focus on more than the clan structure. Faroole won this because of how he convinced the electors and what he paid and not of who he is... let's get that one straight

As for the clan structure, if that is not correct/fair or some stackholders of this great region feel a little bit under-represented in the house of the parliament, then that should have been an issue open for a discussion before the election, or any election for that matter and during the formation of Puntland, or even now after the election. I don't think the clan share politics in that region is fair or unfair either, I believe they did their utmost effort to make every single one or sub sub clan represented or at least most of them. People can come together as brothers again, young or old, sit down together as many times as they want to rectify any issues that may seem to be a problem, and the elders of the those that have a complaint should inform all of Puntland elders and authorities, its not a big deal as I believe to be a simple issue which can be resolved, although I doubt any make up that will be formed to reduce complaint will achieve that or guarantees no more complaints from any other groups...

What is important is that we stick and respect in what, we all the stakeholder, agree upon, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a door for a reform, certainly that door has to always be open, but generally we should respect and follow through that line.

PS: The great idea of Puntland was not that Yusuf Yey's or any other politician, but that of a quite and huble fella, Abshir Muse.