Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Political Showdown in Somaliland.

Gabbal   

Somaliland Candidate Won't Accept Results

Sun Apr 20,12:59 PM ET

By OSMAN HASSAN, Associated Press Writer

MOGADISHU, Somalia - The candidate who lost presidential elections in breakaway Somaliland by just 80 votes said Sunday he would not accept the results.

Ahmed Mohamed Mohamud Silanyo accused incumbent President Dahir Riyaleh Kahin of manipulating the April 14 election.

Somaliland's electoral commission announced Saturday that Kahin, leader of the Democratic United National party, received 205,595 votes. Silanyo, of the Kulmiye party, got 205,515 votes.

The final announcement of the results was delayed several times.

"I knew why the electoral commission postponed the results ... because they were preparing these useless and malicious lies," Silanyo told reporters in Hargeisa, the region's capital.

Electoral officials weren't immediately available for comment. The supreme court was expected to confirm the results within 10 days.

Silanyo said he would meet with his party to decide what action to take.

Somaliland broke away from the rest of Somalia in 1991 as the Horn of Africa nation descended into chaos after the ouster of longtime leader Mohamed Siad Barre.

The region, home to about 2.5 million people, has been relatively peaceful compared to the rest of Somalia, where heavily armed clan-based factions control regional fiefdoms.

Kahin became Somaliland's third president last May after the death of Mohamed Ibrahim Egal.

Gediid   

HornAfrique

I never saw the word "violent" anywhere in the script or is that personal wish to see things in Somaliland turn violent.

Keep praying if thats what you wanna see

Miriam1   

^^^^Gedid that's exactly wat i was thinking lol@the wishful thinking, why assume a violent showdown,thats a really sad and low thing for u to do.

Grinov   

why hope for a violent showdwon? hope the best for the people of the north, for their local elections. we should encourage successfull local administrations such as somaliland and puntland.

i hope no violence occurs and that everything will be normal in that part of the country

Waaq   

This is from Somaliland.net

Ahmed Mohamed Silanyo, who emerged as the main challenger in Somaliland's first multi-party presidential election, claimed victory in the April 14 poll. Official results on Saturday handed victory to President Dahir Riyale Kahin by just 80 votes.

"I can confirm that I won the election," Silanyo told reporters. "The government has used public funds and its authority to win the election for its candidate. I call on the government not to suppress the (will of) the people."

He spoke as violence broke out between supporters of Kahin's United Democratic Party (UDUB) and Silanyo's Solidarity party (Kulmiye) in the capital Hargeisa and other cities.

Officials said four people were wounded and a teashop destroyed in Burao, Silanyo's hometown, as his supporters clashed with police. In Hargeisa, police shot in the air to disperse a protest against the election body.

There was no immediate comment from the government.

On Saturday, the enclave's National Electoral Commission said Kahin received 205,595 votes, 42.08 percent of the those cast, against Silanyo's 205,515 votes.

Silanyo's party rejected the result, saying the figures given by the electoral commission for some polling stations did not tally with the count approved by its representatives.

Somaliland declared independence in 1991 after the overthrow of Somali President Mohammad Siad Barre, the disintegration of central government and an explosion of factional fighting.

The enclave is hoping that holding a democratic election will win it international recognition. Previous presidents in Somaliland have been picked by parliament.

Troubling developments indeed... We have several well-known folks in our community declaring a victor before the results have been released. Now that the actual results show something different than what they had hoped, this is somehow not democracy.

from all reports I have read the system used in the elections was both well designed and thorough. Moreover, most independent monitors declared the election free and fair. In any close election (80 votes) there will be contraversy, but what Somaliland needs is for Silaayno to accept the result. It is a first and crucial step to the recognition of Somalialand to the world community.

If UDUB fails, than it is likely Kulmiye will win the next election. I for one do not think that either man or party will have a decidedly different effect on Somaliland. What is likely to have the most effect is a smooth transition of power, and the continued ability of the government to provide safety and security for all residents of Somaliland without regard to clan status.

Ultimately, it has been the people of Somaliland that are responsible for its success not the so called leaders. These leaders need only to provide the base for the naturally enterprising Somalias to take their welfare into their own hands.

PLEASE ACCEPT THE ELECTION RESULTS AS THIS IS WHAT SOMALILAND NEEDS.

Also, talk of Somali unification is a disservice to Somalis. Different states cooperate and prosper together. If each region or collection of regions is able to improve their situation through independence, more power to them. Maybe what is Somalia's future is a union similar to that of Europe. Only Allah knows.

I hope Somaliland succeeds in their endeavour, but also hope that this success does not translate into a surperiorty complex that hurts their relations with other Somalis.

my two cents...

Gabbal   

Believe I don't want any more Somali blood shed, just like I don't want "Somaliland" to secede, but violence has already started. If you guys are not up-to-date there has been fights between Silaanyo's supporters and "Somaliland" authorities in several cities. Silaanyo is 100% a Somali plitician and Somali politicians whether in Muqdisho, "Somaliland", "Puntland", "Hiiraanland",or "Jubbaland" all have the same mindset and the same mentality.

It's not wishful thinking and if you must realize it's not a stated prediction, but guessing prediction. I didn't say there was going o be a violent showdown, i said maybe.

N.O.R.F   

If you guys are not up-to-date there has been fights between Silaanyo's supporters and "Somaliland" authorities in several cities

there have some skirmishes in Burco and Hargeisa, nothing serious, not deaths, stop alarming the people of SOMALILAND !!!

Gediid   

They say Ethiopians are the biggest Xaasideen in the world.They once asked an Ethiopian man if he had one wish,what would he wish for.

He said he would wish for his my neighbour to lose both his eyes.

Markaas HornAfrique is that your greatest wish,to see Somaliland in anarchy just because they have seceded.

Gabbal   

Gediid aboow walahi I'm not a xaasid, I would never want anarchy for "Somaliland" just like I do not want secession for it also. I'm very pro-Somali unity and I have a lot of pro-"Somaliland" friends and we debate, but nobody has ever called me a xaasid. To tell the truth that really striked me personally to compare me with a raw meat-eating Xabasho gaal.

For "Somaliland" to be like "Puntland", an autonomous region that is waiting for a stronger Somalia, I would be very happy and content as would countless others of our ppl.

Gediid   

HornAfrique

I understand but walaahi I have seen a lot of people who wish to see no peace in Somaliland just because there is war in the South.I keep trying to make them understand this will be to no one's advantage.

The one thing I would love to see is peace all over Somalia,in Puntland Baydhabo and every where there are Somalis.

BN   

News from Kulmiye website, Picked up by IRIN News.

-------------------------------------------------

KULMIYE Party Present Evidence Proving They Won The Elections

Hargeisa, Somaliland

23 April, 2003

KULMIYE

After two days of round the clock preparation putting together solid evidence to disprove claims that UDUB won the elections, high ranking party members of KULMIYE party this morning presented proof that they are ahead of UDUB on the recent presidential elections held on April 14th. The incorrect figures announced on Saturday by the Commission puts UDUB in the lead by 80 votes at 205,595, and that of KULMIYE at 205,515.

Guests who attended the press conference held at MING SING hotel in Hargeisa, included:

International observers

The Academic Watch Committee

Members of Houses of Guurti and Parliament

Community and Religious Leaders

Members of the Electoral Commission

The party chairman Ahmed Silanyo spoke to the guests briefly explaining why KULMIYE party believes they have won the elections. In this presentation KULMIYE exposed inaccuracies that existed in the results announced by the Electoral Commission on Saturday. KULMIYE also explained to the audience how the party leads the polls by 76 votes ahead of UDUB.

Assisted by large screen projectors in the presentation, Dr. Abdi Aw Dahir showed how KULMIYE attained their numbers backed by documents singed by representatives of parties and the electoral commission at each polling station.

The figure announced by the Electoral Commission in favour of UDUB, was shown to be 133 votes short of the real number of votes received by KULMIYE. This number was omitted from the Burao and Garadag districts. Counting this number will put KULMIYE in the lead with a total of 205,648 votes.

KULMIYE also revealed that UDUB had 7 and 23 votes added to its total from Garadag for unknown reason. These numbers are not shown on the documents approved by the representatives of the different parties and the commission.

The Electoral Commission said they will take a look at the evidence presented by KULMIYE, adding that they will correct any mistakes.

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33656&SelectRegion=Horn_of_Africa&SelectCountry=SOMALIA

Nabad

Meiji   

SPOILER

I'll save our brothers from Northwestern Somalia many sleepless nights by already presenting the news of tommorow.

Thank me later.