Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

In pictures: Mogadishu life

Coloow   

Samurai , sxb you are MEAN on Mogadishu. There are thousands of pictures of Xamar out there that show people's daily lives.

Believe me there is a part of Mogadishu that rarely comes to some computer screens.

I wonder why Mogadishu is targeted as a city of death/destitution,/destruction while villages and towns elsewhere are glorified on various websites?

I like the camels romouring freely on the runways..I am a geeljire

Gediid   

I agree there's more to Mogadisho then these crappy pictures but then these pictures and the stories they tell sell better ;)

The extent n depth of the hatred towards Mogadishu and it´s ppl varries among ppl from the countryside.

For some, they HATE Mogadishu becouse it happens to be the Capital that happens to be situated in the heart of a hated Clan.

For some ,it´s their birth place,( like ME icon_razz.gif ) but becouse of the bad memories related to that particular city, a place of childhood memmories, a place they sure would do anything for to be able to retire to,

but maybe the thought of them not beein able to do that MAKES them prefer to PAINT Mogadishu n everything that is associated with it BAD.

I later come to know that Mogadishu used to be like " Haj " (Mecca) for some. ( according to a well know n qouted poet from O*adenia ).

For some, Mogadishu and those who were born or raised there ,ARE hated n disliked JUST becouse they´re the lucky ones to have lived in the ONLY cosmopolitan city in Somalia

They went to school,universicy,colleges, they used to go to cinemas,theatre, "serie A " football, events n occations that NEVER took place in any other city or town in Somalia.

The person who is trying to portraite Mogadishu as a village of starving camels n wreckage of civl war Tank sure suffers from a deep depression.

I think our Japaneese worrior ( samurai ) falls into this category.

Though Mogadishu is the ONLY city that suffered most in the past 14 years of the civil war STILL it is the leading Commercial center ( in " Bakare" market millions of US dollas exchange hands daily, there they SET the exchange rate that effects even Addis n Nairobi, local phone calls are free of charge, high buildings( our version of sky scrappers) ) are uncountable.

though it is uncompareable to Western Capitals .. ( Garbage collectors are on STRIKE since day 1 of the civil war ) STILL Mogadishu (the city of almost 2 million )is the Place to B when Somalia comes into mind.

Do not I love to see the juves in their hurried galloping spilling cows wallops in their stride at the mere vista of actuality. Abhor or not, Mogadishu provides a glimpse of the appalling state of the beloved Somalia. Its yours not. Nor mine. OURS it indeed is. Make a mockery of it, if your please, at own pleasure. Give it to oneself, if you dare, at own peril.

Such scenes depict the enormity of the task that awaits Somalis. Elsewhere in Somalia of old might appear appealing on the surface, but in the innermost part, no different at par.

More of the beloved, besieged Mogadishu!

bb10.jpg

bb13.jpg

bb19.jpg

Coloow   

Sam, I retract my earlier statement after discovering the photos you posted were from the BBC.

But, seriously sxb, don't you think Xamar cade gets an unfair bashing as the nexus of evil?

Sakina   

Caaqil; the fact that some people live in these deplorable conditions make the rest of Mogadishu the same. There is no excuse for some to live in luxury while their neighbours are starving including the camels. By talking about it and facing the reality of neglecting basic human rights maybe we can make people aware of taking care of their own nation instead of waiting for handouts.

Coloow   

Sakina, There is no switzerland in somalia. All over somalia, people have a tough life to lead. Beyond the many beautiful photographs of "paradises" there are hundreds of "hell".

My problems with the photographs is this: Why are people interested on only posting negative images of our people; our cities; our nation?

Walaal, economic disparities is a common feature of life in cities. Poverty, injustice and death is a natural feature of developing nations. I don't think Mogadishu holds the record as the city with the largest share of poor people. According to several key indicators, Somalia in general and Mogadishu in particular has witnessed an increase in standard of living. Entrepreneurship is flourishing. But these can't be maintained without the rule of law. and this the problem of mOgadishu.

xaaji_18   

caaqil i agree the pics only show the darker side and not the brighter side. Why are these people lobbying for human rights of animals such as camels when not many value life itself in many parts of Somalia.

Gabbal   

Mogadishu and those who were born or raised there ,ARE hated n disliked JUST becouse they´re the lucky ones to have lived in the ONLY cosmopolitan city in Somalia

So the ones that were forced out weren't born or raised there? :rolleyes:

Anyways a large, very large, number of my family members live in Muqdisho who are not of the clan you are insinuating to be lucky to be still living there.

The past has been forgotten and believe me they face no hostilities or agression whatsoever. They carry on with their lives and businesses and face no obstacles simply because of their clan.

Like it or not, Muqdisho belongs to no clan. The reason it is Somalia's most cosmopolitan city is because it was and is Somalia's only true international city.

NASSIR   

Mogadisho was a graet city and the people that built Mogadisho left it long time ago. However, the amazing thing about this city and its people is that it never loses hope to be rebuilt and revived.

But there is no present indication about people pouring into city as it was once in the early 1990s, esp people from countryside. It has taken reverse trend and many people find another route to seek better life by abandoning what once was a great city.

Rahima   

^Do you actually buy what you have written?

The past has been forgotten and believe me they face no hostilities or agression whatsoever. They carry on with their lives and businesses and face no obstacles simply because of their clan.

So true, I too have many family members who are not of the tribe insinuated and who live peacefully and successfully in xamar.

Xamar has its haters; the reasons are basically what have caused the destruction of our homeland. They try to belittle Xamar as a city so as to belittle one particular tribe who they have “issues†with- the saddest thing which they fail to understand is that the city is free from such association, it is for all Somalis.