Sign in to follow this  
Man Of Freedom

A SOMALI PLAGIARIST WRITER EXPOSED:

Xoogsade   

Libaax, Waa iga qoslisay bro. Shalay markaan arkay qoraalka aan is iri right away this obsession with exposure seems fishy to me. Hadda markaan arkay adigoo leh waxaan shalay ku fakaraayay waa qosley. Waa noo dhammaatay saxib. I am trully disappointed in how I have changed from reer xaafad to reer hebel mentality.

Shaqa adagaa meeshaan ka heysaan maadaama soomalida aa ku kala dhex jirtaan meesha wax ku soo qorto oo aniga aan ka koow ahay nooh :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Man Of Freedom:

The work of the exposed author reveals a disturbing trend in the professional realm of our intellectual elites. It is colossal mistake and serious misjudgment of readers intellect. Mr. Dirie has done a plausible job for exposing this embarassing mistake. It is naive and prelious to assume Somali's as passive nomads who only know how to read without using their analytical capabilities to decipher the orinigality and the creativity that is involved with the pieces of articles they came accross.

Nonsense! I love it when you talk dirty, Man Of Freedom. :D

Plagiarism is a very serious offence. In fact, in this society (the online one), it is the ONLY offence. I don’t know who Libaax is, have never met Femme and are unlikely to have a real kick about with Castro. However, in this online world, I know and esteem every single one of these people (though I choose to display that estimation in my own way). They’re good upstanding citizens of the information superhighway and are, as far as I know, virtually law-abiding. If one of them suddenly loses it and starts spraying us with insults and profanities, the moderators would stop him/her. If they start posting a whole load of nonsense, it wont be the end of the world and people might even learn to ignore them. However, if they start copying other people’s work, stealing other people’s ideas and try to make profit from other people’s thoughts, then they’re nothing but criminals that should be BANNED.

Arguments about motives, mistakes and giving the benefit of the doubt should not matter here. NO explanation is good enough once the act of intellectual theft has taken place! To excuse the act by talking about grudges and the motives of the author (while mentioning another prevalent problem) misses the whole point. Two “authors†having a tiff is a minor issue when compared to the theft of words and the robbery of the hard work of others.

Someone above tried to excuse the news sites by arguing that the owners of those sites could not verify all that they print! It would be true if the plagiarised pieces were about the percentages of Indian maids in Saudi Arabia(i.e. something that has nothing to do with Somali news). However, when the articles are supposed to be about Somalia and Africa any news editor worthy of the title should notice the discrepancies straight away. Besides, if you don’t keep up with the news articles written about Africa and elsewhere and are not that well read, what are you doing editing a news site?

Disagreements, differences, paranoia and even pure and utter hatred can exist in a world were we all still can hound the plagiarists and stick to the rules. The rules of always trying to tell the truth (I appreciate that many people are emotionally involved in some subjects that they can’t distinguish between fact and opinion)!

Heartless cruel folks *grinds teeth in frustration***

MMMA I saw that actually, but contacting the webmaster is not the same as contacting the writer directly. How long did he wait before he decided he was 'tired of not recieving a response'? I think he had his lil expose' swimming in his head long before he thought of contacting anyone.

Ngonge & others! Oh please! Give me a break. I bet each one of you cheated some point in your academic lives...and I bet you prayed to God on your knees that you wouldnt be caught.

Castro   

^ Actually I never cheated by stealing others' work. I don't know what you're doing in school if you find this to be acceptable behavior.

Plagiarism is a major crime. Stealing the intellectual and academic properties of others than to claim being the sole owner or creator of it should be made punishable by not only shaming and naming those individuals who partake in this unlawful action but to imprison them for the rest of their pityful lives.

You can qoute someone and reference it accordingly but to claim what is not yours is illegal in my books.

Sky   

Femme

I know what you mean. What Dirie did was cruel and thoughtless. He did not only expose a plagiarist. He also devastatingly humiliated a man for all to see. I wonder if the latter was really worth the former.

I'm not saying plagiarism isn't such a serious offense, but I can see qof iswaalwaalaya when I see one. Much worse things happen online and especially in the Somali cyberworld [misusing copyrighted pictures for example], so the plagiarist's articles should be deleted by all the websites and he should be banned from writing from the Somali websites that publish these kind of articles. That plus the humiliation are enough punishment.

To be honest I knew that this guy was as fake as Carmen Electra's breasts when I stumbled across this article:

http://www.radiolascaanod.com/fullreport.php?sscid=1806

I had to laugh out loud throughout the read.

Taleexi   

In Respond to the “ A SOMALI PLAGIARIST WRITER EXPOSED"

Let me express my humble opinion about what some people calledâ€plagiarism†and “copy rightâ€.

In truth, in literature, in science and in art, there are, and can be, few, if any, things, which, in an abstract sense, are strictly new and original throughout. I have more than sixty publications were I contributed to the international scientific community; they use and copy my information for the well being of all humanity. Every article, presentation or book in literature, science and art, borrows, and must necessarily borrow, and use much which was well known and used before. No man creates a new language for himself, at least if he be a wise man, in writing an article or book. He/she contents himself with the use of language already known and used and understood by others. No man writes exclusively from his own thoughts, unaided and uninstructed by the thoughts of others. The thoughts of every man are, more or less, a combination of what other men have thought and expressed, although they may be modified, exalted, or improved by his own genius or reflection.

If no article/paper could be the subject of copy-right which was not new and original in the elements of which it is composed, there could be no ground for any copy-right in modern times, and we should be obliged to ascend very high, even in antiquity, to find a work entitled to such eminence. Virgil orrowed much from Homer; Bacon drew from earlier as well as contemporary minds; Coke exhausted all the known learning of his profession; and even Shakespeare and Milton, so justly and proudly our boast as the brightest originals would be found to have gathered much from the abundant stores of current knowledge and classical studies in their days. What is La Place's great work, but the combination of the processes and discoveries of the great mathematicians before his day, with his own extraordinary genius? What are all modern law books, but new combinations and arrangements of old materials, in which the skill and judgment of the author in the selection and exposition and accurate use of those

materials constitute the basis of his reputation, as well as of his copy-right?

It has been claimed, that the subject of both of my works is of such a nature that there must be close resemblances between the other authors articles. But the real question on this point, is, not whether such resemblances exist, but whether these resemblances are purely accidental and undersigned, and un-borrowed, because arising from common sources accessible to both the authors, and the use of materials open equally to both; whether, in fact, the defendant (me) used the others work as his model, and imitated and copied that, and did not said that, to amount to piracy, the work must be a copy and not an imitation.

That, as a general proposition, cannot be admitted. It is true the imitation may be very slight and shadowy. But on the other hand, it may be very close, and so close as to be a mere evasion of the copy-right, although not an exact and literal copy. In addition I, m sure the Author of “ Writing is a Noble Profession and Demanding Task, But No Shortcuts Whatsoever †is Jr. Freelance writer and he/she needs to engage more experiences in this field.

If you need more information about my articles or my integrity please don’t hesitate to reach me at elmij@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

E-mail: elmij@yahoo.com

Jama ELMI, PhD

Sr. Research Scientist

Taleexi   

This aforementioned is what Dr. Elmi has to say regarding his exposure of plagiarism.. Femme, we see things eye to eye at least on this issue and plagiarism would not have been into being, hadn't we prone consigning it.

Maakhir, Webmasters shouldn't be held responsible on this but let it be a wake up call for them, and thanks.

Libaaxa: Saaxiib budhka nagula dhex jir-- horaa loo yiri yaa somaali xukumoon layn..

Pig   

Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

What is La Place's great work, but the combination of the processes and discoveries of the great mathematicians before his day, with his own extraordinary genius? [/QB]

LaPlace trasforms discovery is indeed from a great genius. Second however to the Fourier one interms of functionality in solving diff eq.

Back to the topic, Dr Elmi downplayed the needed emphasis for proper "citation". That is asking for trouble.

I am flabbergasted that Mr. Jama Elmi is tenacious and zealous to defend his act of “Plagiarism†and “Copy Right†violation. There is no neutural ground for plagiarism and those who engage such disgraceful act deserve to be exposed and assailed in the most extreme form. The evidence that was provided by Mr. Dirie vulgarizes any effort or attempt to cover the shame and the embarrassment that the exposure caused.

We Somali’s take a great deal of pride and derive an enormous amount of satisfaction from recognizing and appreciating the creative work and the intellectual insight of our fellow Somali’s. It is shame and dishonor to undermine the professional integrity of our educated intellectuals. It strikes as deep when we see our fellow Somali’s who are transacted in acts of subterfuge. I am sure this exposure has germinated emotional cataclysm for many people who were aspiring to emulate those who they thought were their perfect role models.