Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Where are the Somali Scholars of Islam?

The castro's surrogates wish to finish me with their weak jabs, but I am afraid Alle-ubaahne is more formidable than they assume. The fleeing Castro and retreat predicts the demise of liberal domination era. Our ferocious heat will keep blowing to that direction until we confirm no returning fires. the battle continues........

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

The castro's surrogates wish to finish me with their weak jabs, but I am afraid Alle-ubaahne is more formidable than they assume. The fleeing Castro and retreat predicts the demise of liberal domination era. Our ferocious heat will keep blowing to that direction until we confirm no returning fires.

laugh1.giflaugh1.giflaugh1.gif

the battle continues........

I think, as you'll harshly discover yourself, you'll be fighting your own apparition.

^the newest surrogate to register in the liberal wing is proving nearly so effective, but soon we are going to hunt you down, as well. So make sure you conceal yourself for an undetectable cave somewhere in the mountains depths of SOL. :D

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

^the newest surrogate to register in the liberal wing is proving nearly so effective, but soon we are going to hunt you down, as well. So make sure you conceal yourself for an undetectable cave somewhere in the mountains depths of SOL.
:D

Looool!

Ok, Don Quixote!

Castroow, bal mathalkan ila eeg, dhadhankiisu ma mid masriyeed baa, ninyahow. Miyaanu aheeyn mid fasiix oo aan lahjad u gaar aheeyn.

ضرب الحبيب مثل اكل الزبيب

I believe that this is the adage you employed in your confabulation. Though this proverb came into mainstream use in Egypt in the Eight Century (A.H.), the words used therein are formal arabic words. I do not see how the claim that is a uniquely egyptian locution can be supported. Granted, this adage was employed by the commoners of Egypt, however, the words are not at all dialectical. Now, these are the words:

1. Darb= the hitting, or the strikes

2. Al-Habeeb= Beloved

3. Mithl= Like, or similiar to, or is an instance of

4. Akl= eating,

5. Az-zabeeb= raisans

Thusly, we get: The strikes of a Beloved one are similiar to the eating of raisins. I think the implication and signification of these words is all too obvious. It is a known principle of lovers and romantics that the harms inflicted by someone you love is to be accepted; in fact, it is to be embraced. What I find hard to understand is how a person whose arabic vocabulary span is so woefully small can so much as understand what he reads while he prays. Pray tell, what word in that proverb is difficult to understand? Surely, the vocabulary one uses in Salah is richer than the words used in the above adage. Perhaps Baahane uses his mother tongue, Somali, while he performs his obligatory prayers. I do not think this is a far-fetched possibility because I have witnessed with mine eyes a greybeard Somali wretch humming " Ilaahow na cafi" during the Jalseh between the Sujuuds.

I think many a problem arises when "language goes on a holiday". By the word "Sheikh", Baahane must have in mind the many moons which he has experienced, hence, the arabic word: "Shaykhuukhah"- old age. The allusion about giving advice to his community attests to this intrepretation as those who are heavy with years are often consulted in matters of social moment; natheless, it is doubtless that to consult someone by dint of his years is not always a measure of prudence.

With Salaams

PK

Castro   

The way I learned it was: ضرب الحبيب زى اكل الزبيب. Where زى replaces مثل. That's about all the Egyptians have done to it. The rest is classical Arabic.

Perhaps your book of memory has some dust on it, good Castro. When you employed this proverb, you did not use the egyptian word زي , rather you utilized the classic word مثل ,which makes Baahane's claim all the more impertinent. The man has an impeccable understanding of Islam, notwithstanding his ignorance of formal pre-schoolers arabic.

Castro   

^ I purposely used مثل not to entrap Alle-ubaahne for I'm not that evil but to make it easier for the masry-challenged audience (Ngonge :D )

I was tailoring your graveyard sheets, and you guys are here repairing my shoes, by discussing about the greatness of Shiiq Alle-ubaahne's immense knowledge in Islam! Liberals are always liberals, haye maxaad hada leedihiin, Alle-ubaahne xitaa sida faataxada loo aqriyo ma yaqaano soo maaha?

There is a somali proverb, which says, "Baqashii fardaha la mirataa faras bey is moodaa", which am sure goes like this in english, the donkey that flocks with the horses assumes himself as a horse. Now you guys know few dialectic arabic words because you spent few days with some arabs, and you suddenly raise yourselves to the level of people of knowledge, haa ka soco, war ayaa ka danbeyn doonee.

Somali shiiq of no arabic: As. Wr. Wb. How are you brother?

Average arab: Ws wb wb. Alhamdulilah, good.

Somali Shiiq of no arabic: what is your name?

Average arab: Ngonge Castro Mutakalim

Somali Shiiq: Mash-allah, and my name is Alle-ubaahne.

Average arab: Don't you speak Arabic?

Somali Shiiq: I don't know Arabic language. do you know Islamic knowledge? (meaning are you versed in Islam)

Average arab: No, I don't know that, but I am Arabic man, I know Arabic language!

Somali Shiiq: Jahli Carab iyo Carab-la-joog galay looma taag helo!

Castro   

^ Atheer I know nothing and I never claimed to know anything. But beating your chest any more than you already have is making you look terrible. Please tell me what an Islamic scholar is, first, and how you fit that description? Which area of Islamic scholarship do you specialize in? Aqeeda and Tawheed? Jurisprudence? Sharia Law? Which is it, saaxib? Do you have any published works? Do you even attempt to do so in SOL? Have you attended any formal training in your area of expertise? For example, are you a graduate of the Al-Azhar university in Egypt? Or are you a self-taught caalim? How could you teach yourself when, by your own admission, you can't even read Arabic?

You associated yourself with e-Nuri but that organization has a body of work (on SOL to say the least). Are you a member of e-Nuri? Would you like to be a member? Do you belong to a mosque in your area where your scholarship benefits the local muslims? Are you invited to conventions to speak on issues affecting muslims? Do you do workshops and teach weekend Tafsiir classes? You see where I'm going with this, right?

When you claim to be a 'shiiq' and you're questioned on it, your knee-jerk reaction was to sling mud in every direction. What is so scholarly about your conduct, atheer? I won't hound you anymore. You've done more damage to yourself than anyone could have dreamed. And believe it or not, I'm sad about it.

P.S. Ngonge, the hijacking occured much earlier than you think. This is the freeing of the hostages. :D

Ibtisam   

are you people for really or just pulling people's legs;

taking about self praise and high self esteem or is it arrogance! all in one;

as for the orginal question, i agree with the person who said somali people tent to keep themselves to themselves and are not very active outside the their own community;

peace out

Originally posted by Modesty:

As'Salaamu Alaykum,

Going to many Islamic conventions, I hardly find any somali scholars lecturing. It's always the usual arab-pakistani imaams. Even visiting many Islamic websites, I only find articles and books written by arab-pakistani scholars, but never any written by Somalis..are regular African muslims for that matter (with the exception of Egyptians). Do you like nasheeds? I do too, but are there any somali nasheeds? Nope! Also, the lack of knowledge in the deen is very apparent in our culture, with the exception of the burqa...it seems like hijab is the only part we got right, alhamdulilah. Maybe being a people without a functioning government for the past 15 years is what made us lag behind...Allahu Musta3an. I just feel so sad about the whole situation.

Well, They are everywhere, Islam is a religion mr modesty, Not an nationality. You'll find somali islamic speakers in religious circles for somalis. It's very easy, You'll find turkish imams in lectures in turkish language.

There are not somali nasheeds? Well, There are many. But not "arab" styles. There are thousands of songs that praise Allah and his prophet. Kaban style.

It's sad that somali youth is drawn to "arab islamism". It's a trend going on in the somali society. If you see the turks, They have Islam, They are Sonnis, But no, They are not trend followers as the somalis.

A couple of a weeks ago, There was in our universaty an incident I'll never forget. I walked in the hall And I saw a man wearing and arabic dress, He approeached me and said "salam-alaykom" "kayf xaalak". I responded back calaykom salam, I'am fine alxamdululah what about you".

You know, I wonderd to my self, If the guy has somekind of an identity crisis? I pray 5 salat, I spend often in our local mosque and drink coffe, But Why do I have to arabise me?

Thats some thoughts I had on these people, Al-itixaad people, I'll open a topic on this.

Modestaay, bal ii yara saamax inaan Baahane dubbe la dhaco, dhawaan ayuu saaxiga keenayaaye. :D

Well, so long as the Shaaykh concedes that he knows not even rudimentary arabic, my job in this thread is done. Shaaykh in arabic means both "old man" or a man of "sacred learning". There need be no ambiguity in what is the correct meaning in this context :D

Now you see, in his Diwan of Shi'r, Anthology of Poems, Abu Alaa Al-Ma'rri speaks of the absurdity and the irony of life. This poet of yore employs the example of Hatim Daa'i (حاتم الطائي) and Madir(مادر) , Baaqil (باقل) and Qis (or Qus) (قس) and the earth and sky among other two-pronged examples to express the absurdity of the produce of his times. Hatim, in classic arabic literature, is said to have been the father of munificence and benevolence to the extent that he came dangerously close to sacrifcing his son because he had nothing else with which he could slake the hunger of his guests. Madir, on the other hand, was said to be a niggardly wretch, so much so, that he would imbibe the milk of the she-goat directly from her teat, lest any of his neighbours discover that he has milk. Lastly, Baqil, very much like our Rudy was not a wordsmith in any sense of the word. It is said that he once purchased eleven items from the marketplace, and was subsequently asked of the number of items he had bought. Not knowing the word "ten" or "eleven", he utilized his ten fingers and tongue to signify the quantity of his purchases(eleven), whereas Qis, far from difficulty in oration, was, in his age, an inimitable poetic genius whose poetry could incite throngs of men into battle.

Now, what shall you say if Madir, the miser, charges Hatim with close-fistedness and parsimony? What shall you say if Baqil , the verbally challenged, accuses Qis , the poet par-excellence, of speech impediments? What shall you say if the Earth competes with Heavens in height? O! Good God! May death come with speed. Life is nought but ignonimy! Herein are the immortal words he enunciated:-

اذا وص٠الطائي بالبخل مادر

وعير قسا بالÙهاهة باقل

وقال السها للشمس انت ضيئلة

وقال الدجى للبدر وجهك حائل

وطاولت الارض السماء سÙاهة

ÙˆÙاخرت الشهب الحصى والجنادل

Ùيا موت زر! ان الحياة ذميمة

ويا Ù†Ùس جدي ان دهرك هازل

With Salaams

PK

P.S. To those who were dubbed "arabs"(Castro, NGONGE el at), in the face of colossal absurdity, do you ever wish to perish? It is a rhetorical query, so you need not answer.