Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Racist Spaniads!

STOIC   

Whats up with the Spaniads! i think they riding on Jim-Crow vehicle.

Ferdinand almost quit Spain game

Alan Hansen's view

Is Spanish football racist?

Report: Spain 1-0 England

Reaction from Spanish press

England fail Spanish test

Rio Ferdinand has said he was ready to come off the field after Spanish fans hurled abuse at England's black players in Wednesday's match.

England's Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole were subjected to monkey chants in Madrid.

And Ferdinand said he would have "had no problem at all" walking off with his team-mates.

"I don't think anybody back in England or on the England team would have blamed us," he told the Sun newspaper.

"It is a difficult call for the manager, especially when you are losing. But the abuse was disgraceful."

Governing body Fifa revealed on Thursday it would investigate the racism and, if proven, the Spanish FA could face a large fine and be forced to play international games behind closed doors.

A statement from Fifa said: "We are concerned about the latest surge of racism and harshly condemn this. (Fifa) will demand explanations from the Spanish football association."

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said there was, "no room whatsoever for racism or discrimination in our sport".

I want to apologise in the name of the Spanish government to anyone who may have felt offended by these expressions

Spanish foreign minister Miguel Angel Moratinos

He added: "The world is already too full of conflict that has its roots in racism and discrimination. Football has a positive influence."

Ferdinand also called for action to be taken against Spanish coach Luis Aragones following alleged racist comments about Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.

Ferdinand said had England coach Sven Goran Eriksson made similar remarks he "would have been sacked - no doubt about it".

"Their manager (Aragones) is meant to have said something racist and he was never punished, which maybe gives a signal out to fans that it's okay," Ferdinand told Radio Five Live.

Early on Friday, Spanish foreign minister Miguel Angel Moratinos apologised "in the name of the Spanish government to anyone who may have felt offended by these expressions".

"I have had the opportunity to comment and discuss it with my (British) counterpart Jack Straw and I again express that Spain is a country of tolerance where expressions of racism should have no place."

Tony Blair joined the criticism of the abuse, with a spokeswoman for the Prime Minister saying he was "very disappointed" by what happened.

"He believes racism has no part to play in sport or in any other matter," she said on Thursday.

The FA's head of media, Adrian Bevington, said earlier on Thursday that his organisation would be sending a letter of complaint to the Spanish Federation, as well as Fifa and Uefa.

"Football as a whole should stand up and express its disgust at what has gone on here. Quite frankly, it's a disgrace."

Raul - a national idol - should come out and make an apology on behalf of the team and the Spanish people

From SG

Have your say on 606

Sports minister Richard Caborn said: "I will write to my Spanish counterpart to express my outrage. I would like the Spanish FA to condemn the scenes.

"I also expect Fifa and Uefa to fully investigate the issue.

"There is no place for racism in football or modern society, and I strongly believe that action needs to be taken at the highest level."

The FA had already complained to Uefa after several England U-21 players were targeted in their game on Tuesday and it will now be highlighting the incidents during the senior game.