Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

The Al-Ittihad factor in Somali politics

NASSIR   

The Al-Ittihad factor in Somali politics

Mohamed Jibrell

April 17, 2005

The recent demonstrations organized by the Al-Ittihad leadership in Mogadishu and the call for Jihad against foreign peace keeping troops proposed by the Federal Transition National Government was a clear manifestation of their extremism . The concept of jihad ranges in definition from the personal struggle against temptation to holy war. No holy war needs to be waged in Somalia; there is no clear and present threat to Islam; the only war that needs to be waged is one against extremists like Al-Ittihad.

Their earlier abortive militia campaigns to take over parts of Somalia, including Bossaso and Laskorey were shameless perpetration of crimes carried out in the name of Islam. Their current occupation of parts of Mogadishu and periodic pillaging forays into many parts of Southern Somalia is an example of their un-Islamic methods. This is time for all Somalis to expose that Al-Ittihad has taken roots in Mogadishu and the Shabella area. More importantly, we need to realize that Al- Ittihad in Mogadishu and Minnesota are misleading people, especially those who are not aware of the consequences of fanaticism.

Those loyal to Al-Ittihad leader, Mr. Aweis have created hatred and sectarian violence. We cannot afford to have lawlessness in such a big area where foreign terrorists can easily penetrate. So far, very few Somalis choose to speak up against Al-Ittihad and some said that they have faced threats of violence and accusations of being anti-Islam. In effect, the message disseminated by Al-Ittihad is that merely discussing Al-ittihad Political agenda to be construed as an attack on Islam.

The root cause of Al-Ittihad ideology is a desire to create a Muslim fundamentalist state, like the former Taliban government in Afghanistan. Their perception is based on the idea that the Muslim community has strayed from God and if they were to turn to Wahabism and its strict interpretation of Islam based on Sharia (Islamic Law), the problems of the Somali people would be solved. Hence, they have established the Mogadishu Islamic courts to dispense their harsh reading of “Islamic†justice. It is this mentality of fake exactitude that spurns the true Islamic tenets and replaces it with paranoia, ignorance, fear, and a rejection of centuries of Islamic scholarship that inspires Al-Ittihad's political goals.

It seems to me that the agenda of the Somali community in Mogadishu has been hijacked by Al-Ittihad radicals, causing sympathy in the community towards terrorist organizations. We need to cooperate and support the newly formed Federal Transitional Government. We cannot allow Al-Ittihad extremists to blackmail Islam and derail our last hope for a genuine secular government.

Mohamed Jibrell

Mjibrell@mn.rr.com

Minneapolis, MN

Source: WardheerNews

Another case of a Black man (in this case, a Somali) sucking up to the White man. What's wrong with creating an Islamic state?

In reference to these fake clan courts, it's no news that they've been allowed to make Mogadishu/Lower Shabelle their HQ. But all this talk of terrorism - what Somali is willing to blow himself up? Its all economics, and not extremism. They're simply profiting from the chaos and anarchy of southern Somalia.

Al-Itixad has become a worthless title used by anyone and everyone and in many meaningless articles. There are various groups who are playing the clan politics and hiding behing the cloak of religioun. These should be uncovered for what they are and not be labeled under the banner of this defunct and failed movement with multiple personalities.

NASSIR   

It is not that the author is highlighting the extremism of Alitihad group but its emerging threat to Somalia since their influence in Mogadisho have grown rapidly.

It all started from Kismaayo to Boosaso to LasKorey to Gedo and now in Mogadisho.

^^^ I get ya Camir, however they failed in all those places and they will fail in Mogadishu. Its not about Islam but the fact they stand for nothing more than greed..

NASSIR   

It is not fair to say that they stand for greed alone but this is an avenue for them in which they will pursue their mission....Just like the rulers of Somali towns today. I highly estimate that they employ tactics to discipline their followers from the perspective of ruling Somalia according to the way the earlier Muslim empires and Caliphs did. Their affiliation to Major warlords is obvious, for instance, Idha Cade.

Gabbal   

For all things considered, Al Itihad did very well in Gedo. To be honest, the history of Al Itihad in Gedo is vibrant and there was religious as well as econimic developement not to mention the almost end of sub-subclanish conflict.

It seems as the odds are stacked against Al Itihad because the Somalis themselves are not willing to accept a a strict higher religious authority governing them, and the western world and our neighbor Ethiopia simply will not allow it and do everything in their power to destroy it.

Camir, my point is when courts are based on clans and they ignore the plight of the many then what is their motive other than getting rich and gaining power. If they champoioned the religion in which all Somali's adhere to it would have been much better, however one sees that as a movement all they had was a nice Arabic sounding name.

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

For all things considered, Al Itihad did very well in Gedo. To be honest, the history of Al Itihad in Gedo is vibrant and there was religious as well as econimic developement not to mention the almost end of sub-subclanish conflict.

Two brothers who are distant relatives of mine and who are now my neighbors out in the southend were both members of al-Itihad in Luuq sxb. From the stories they share with me, I've gotten the impression that Gedo, under al-Itihad control, was the best of times in the post-1991 era. That just means that that al-Itihad and the one this guy's claiming might share the "name" but operate under different ideologies. One of the brothers was a soldier in the al-Itihad army that fought against Ethiopia '96 invasion. He said, before Ethiopia's invasion, Luuq was a safe haven where education and general goodwill prospered above all else. For instance, the punishment for an individual caught with contraband (incl. cigs & khat) was to memorize one "juz" from the Noble Qur'an. A useful and enlightening punishment for such a crime.

But, essentially, I think we have to separate the al-Itihad of Gedo and the one of today's Mogadishu/Lower Shabelle areas.

General Duke, a little clarification of your position may rescue you from this seemingly unending perplexity and confusion of yours about this movement. Are you objecting the disguise of the clan-oriented courts in Marka under the noble Islamic banner? Or you, tragically, miss the value of an Islamist movement like Al-itihad in Somali politics?

Have the contribution of this movement toward Islamic awareness and awakening in Somalia somehow lost on you because you’re only able to see them through the narrow lenses of their recent (90s) clashes with the Old man?

I guess should wait and give you the benefit!

^^^ Brother Xiin, our point was made clear to me on an earlier thread. There s no doubt a need for more Islam in Somali politics and less fancy names claiming to represent Islam. As for the movement of Al-Itixad what does it represent, for was it not an armed wing? Was the Colonel Xasan of Marka and Clan courts not one of its leaders?

Lets not get nostalgic about a movement that was no different to all the others with their prefix of Somali Salvation, congress, movement and so on.

To me it is another Somali creation representing the interest of men who knew nothing about leading the Somali people, by the Sharia..

Gabbal   

WIND-

As our Tolstoy said in another thread..

I do recalled back in 1996 when I heard the news of Ethiopian army going into Gedo region to help the then SNF strongman, Gen. Omar Hagi Masaleh, who had control much of gedo and it's enviroment, before the forces of Al-Itaxaad, got the upper hand against him and tussled the region from his grip.

The intriguing thing was that before that time, although there was small skirmishes along sub-clannish cleavages in Gedo population, but over-all picture was too much of a tranquil atmosphere, which was to the benefits of the region's people as whole; and one could even say, that the Gedo as whole was developing quite nicely as an economical traffic juncture between Kenya - Ethiopia - and Somalia; as well as being a one of the peacefull area of Somalia of that time, particularly the southern part of the then Somali Republic.

WIND-

Whether this current Al-Itihad has the same objectives of that, no one can dispute that Gedo had a remedy in AL-Itihad. I can only sum it up in two words; peace and prosperity. Gedo community had, unfortunately, a more deadly Col. Abdulahi Yusuf Ahmed in Gen. Cumar Haaji Massale. I've always believed that the incessent anarchy that has plagued Gedo ever since the ouster of Al-Itihad, is the result of curses from those Sheikh who were nothing but a blessing to the land and people there. Cuqubo iyo inkaar ayee Gedo kala galabsaday sidii foosha xumeed ee Al itixaad loola dhaqmay sxb.

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Cuqubo iyo inkaar ayee Gedo kala galabsaday sidii foosha xumeed ee Al itixaad loola dhaqmay sxb.

You know, Americans have a cool saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." al-Itihad Gedo was peaceful and prosperous and some people tried to fix it. Enough said.

Perhaps no movement in the recent history of Somalia created unprecedented political excitement for its constituents and at same time held with disdain and open disparagement by its opponents than Al-itihad. The controversy surrounding this movement can’t be penned in a one post, but I will give a brief overview of what I think this movement is all about.

The Al-itihad movement had carried the enlightening torch of Islamic call. Without a doubt, its members were the pioneers of what seemed then as a subvert version of our religion to many and turned it a mainstream practice. They astoundingly wove fundamental Islamic practices in the fabric of our society. It (Al-Itihad) revived and emitted a lively breath in to the dead body of Islamic Dacwa. Although it often clashed with the religious establishment of the country, the public has accepted their call by great numbers and its success has been not only colossal in its achievements but consequential in terms of its societal impact as well. It transformed the way we think of wadaad and redefined it as not only a man of religion but a politician and businessman as well. It established irreversible educational institutions throughout the country that teach the principles of our faith and propagate an Islamist political agenda, which many appreciate and value.

It has also injected a much-needed dose of Islamist political orientation in to the Somali politics and diluted the secular nature of its practice. The beauty of their message emanates from its originality and it presents a genuine political platform that’s simple to comprehend: establish an Islamic government that reflects the values of its people and becomes a vehicle to please Allah. That much can be agreed.

Now, how it proceeded to attain those righteous goals is a matter of debate. I for one, think it succeeded superbly in its quest to revive the Islamic call and awareness but failed politically in the most part. No one with sanity can deny the success of this movement in the Dacwa area. Nevertheless, its political failure is indisputable reality on the ground.

One could argue that militarization of the movement is the root cause of its political demise. And although that could as well be the case, I don’t think it’s a correct assessment of the poor performance of the movement’s political activities. Furthermore while having military wing have indeed helped spread its message in some areas, like Gedo, it actually hindered its cause in others, like Puntland. Its military wing has caused great damage to the Ethiopia’s evil army and still continues to take them to the task. So I wouldn’t blame movement’s militarization, primarily, for its political failure.

One obvious factor, I think, that contributed to the decline of this movement’s political influence could be its lack of shrewd leaders who understand the volatility of Somali politics and its clannish sensitivity. Had Al-itihad had such men, it would’ve not committed the enormous tactical error in initiating unprovoked offensive in Puntland. It would’ve distanced itself from the arbitrary rulings of Mogadishu courts and would’ve issued decrees against the likes of Indhacadde and his vandalizing activities (though I am sure it has never indorsed it) in Marka.

In the final analysis, Itihad has contributed to the revival of Islamic awakening and Dacwa. Its occasional political mishaps shouldn’t overshadow the movement’s genuine efforts to establish Islamic state.