Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

A letter from Sweden

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

One of the Swedish dailies (Svd)carried a story about the visit of the president of somalia to Stockholm. According to the daily, the president was in Sweden to solicit financial backing to rebuild a failed state. After pointing out that he was not invited officially and outlining the many negative connotations that are used to describe somalia (warlords, famine, terrorism), the paper went on to give the reader a description of how spenderthrift the president is:

1) Despite representing a poor nation, the president and his delegation lived lavishly in Grand hotel- an expensive hotel that is used by presidents and kings.

2) The president was flanked by bodyguards who searched the reporters and others who wanted to talk to him. The key thesis was that Grand Hotel, despite housing dictators and presidents has never seen a president representing a poor nation with so many body guards and expensive lifestyles.

3) The president called for the lifting of the arms embargo on somalia- and stated that the terrorists in somalia would best be fought by his adminstration- according to him, foreign aid should be channelled through his government - to buy arms so thathe could free the people.

The president's visit was also relayed by the dailies (tabloids) which focused on the paradox between a poor nation and the expensive lifestyle of the president. The swedish radio daily show did also an interview with the president- and a swedish government official who stated that, sweden and the Eu has yet to recognise the government of somalia.

My own impression is that we (somalis) are doomed to rot as stateless- and be belittled as a people and a nation.

P.s The swedish TV program "uppdrag granskning"- an opinion building program (watched by many) showed the extent of "islamism" ( I don't know what is that) in sweden- by drawing on what took place in Gothenburg. According to the show, the somalis in Sweden were exposed to a new form of islam- that is against integration. Two somali reporters from somaliweyn ( a radio-internet site) were interviewed and they claimed that the new islamists were threatening people who did not live a lifestyle of salafism. Several cuts from videos from the annual islamic conferences in Gothenburg were showed. Many sheikhs including Sheikh Cumar Faaruq were shown pointing fingures and using "GAALADA" several times.

I think the show is accessible on somaliweyn.org .

Thus, the president of somalia came when somalia/somalis was an issue in swedish domestic politics.

First of all the name Caaqil doesn't suite you as you definetly does not represent the qualities of an Caaqil and that is by lying. Not only is it disgusting of you to give an such clear lie about the reporting of the svd paper coverage of the presidents visitbut also childish of you think that there wasnt other nomads who speak swedish including me!

On the point of you saying that the president pointed out that he was not officially invited and I quote from the paper in which its link os for swedidh nomads:

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/utrikes/did_12557167.asp

''Enligt obekräftade uppgifter i internationella medier har USA nu gått in med pengar till krigsherrar i Mogadishu som strider mot islamister. Detta oroar Somalias president, som är på besök i Sverige''

And its says in its plain translation '' Unsourced information in international media is telling that the US is financing warlords in Mogadishu who's fighting against islamists. This is worrying Somalia's President, who's on a visit to Sweden''

So 'Caaqil' where's all the nonsense about whether he's uninvited or invited??? Besides maybe you're incompetent regarding political protocol and terms but you're either on a STATE VISIT which is mutual in which both parties attend state visits in their respective countries and hence dont need invitations or you on a visit in which you have visit by a head of state for other reasons than meeting your conterpart in their country( please do go read the report with pictures where the President met the Chairman of both the Central Bank of Sweden and the Chairman and acting Ceo of the biggest private bank of sweden to further the role of swedish banks in the developing banking sector of Somalia. He also met with the Ceo of Ericcson to further the companies role in developing the telecommunications sector in Somalia and he also met with the Ceo of the Lundin Oil company who's been the sole actor in Sudan before Chinese companies with regard to the potentiality of Oil findings in Somalia. If the the president of Somalia was uninvented he's meeting with the Swedish MP's and officers in the Foerig Office and the Somali community wouldnt be held in The Nobel Hall inside the Swedish PArliament where all nobel prisez are given out!

Returning to the other point of the President of 'soliciting' money by the way do you the term you used and its full meaning maybe your english is lacking in this point, but soliciting is used when prostitutes solicit customers or trying to attract customers and no respected news paper and certainly not a paper like the SvD would use such word and olny proves you're fatigue political intentions.

The paper says:

'' Sveriges stöd genom Sida uppgick förra året till 93 miljoner kronor (varav cirka hälften gick till humanitärt bistånd, näst största posten var stöd för de demokratiska försöken). I år beräknas stödet bli 160 miljoner och Sverige ska stå värd för en givarkonferens tillsammans med Italien.''

Saying: Swedish supprt through Sida( Swedish governmental authority responsibe for the aid given by the swedih government) last year hit 93m kroners ( where half of the aid was for humanitarian efforts and the next biggest receiver was for democratic efforts). This year the support is expected to hit 160m and Sweden is goint to share the roel of the host for the coming Aid Conference.

Neither does the report include anything about the reporttalk about reporters being searched or the expense in which the president is living in nor that the reporter have never seen a president from a poor nation to be soo heaily guarded.

Its says Vi vill både bygga upp fredsbevarande styrkor i hemlandet och ber samtidigt om hjälp med detta från andra länder. Vi har en säkerhetsplan och vill avväpna miliserna, säger Abdullahi Yusuf som även på Grand Hotel i Stockholm syntes omgärdad av många säkerhetsvakter.

Meaning 'We want to build peace-restoring troops in our country and the same requesting support from the international community . We do have a security plan and want to disarm the militias, says Abdullahi Yusuf in which he's in Grand hotel around many security guards.

Nither does it say he wants to buy arms with international aid to free the people??? How can you be so twisted in your mind to tell these lies!

I can go on and on because your post is ytterly flawed! And where does it says in any report bu the major news papers like Aftonbladet, Expressen, Syd Svenskan, Dagens Nyheter regarding Abdullahi and never have I heard of a report talking about a presidents living expenses in a visit to a foreign country but wouldnt you love Abdullahi to be living ina shabby hostel so you can run around and say look at where he live's . Its actually your mind who's be-littled and shows your plitical incompetens. Please do refrain from here as your comments doesnt even come to the standards of the usual fadhi-ku-dirir that happens in cafe's let alone telling lies here!!!!

Sniper   

Mr. Wacdaro the theme of Caaqil's comments was how Somalia and its current leader (not his fault) were in such a shamefull position. The facts may be worded as wished by the writer, but they remain facts. Somalia is a poor state and its leaders live like kings. They do not share the hardship of their fellow citizens. It is not very hard to proof that, the parliament is yet to do something that can benefit the average Somali. President Cabdullahi Yusuf is trying to over come un-cooperative associates, terrorists disturb the fragile security, Pimp-like warlords switch sides as how much dollar amount they can gain and Somalis remain dying meanwhile. So instead of starting to fire about how caaqil got his facts and seeing him as under talking the president, see the substance in his view. by the way i admire how you switch between english and the other language...what was it?

Gabbal   

If the translation Wacdaraha gave is true, then our Caaqil came here with an axe to grind. Indeed there is fine line between stating your opinions and lying by substituting yours for others.

Coloow   

Wacdaro, My objective with this thread was not to brng forth the usual "somali" discourse of OUR PRESIDENT! or " A warlord" argument. It was merely to report the events that took place the last two weeks. As a somali, you should have adressed the TVshow.. But obviously, it appears that you have opted to raise the "president's" visit to unprecented hights. This is not unusual, given the contemporary discourse , much of it based on tribalism ( a very primitive unit of analysis). It is not uncommon for an emancipited mind to see somalis like you calling hills- mountains- calling villages cities- warlords-presidents- private visits-state visits etcetc

I have reread what is in SVD and I could not find the Ericcson, The bank of sweden (somaliweyn carried a story about him meeting with the president of sparbanken) but that is pure lies. See below, for details of the president, and members of the board).

Could it be that he met a branch manager? information manager? This is very typical of somalis. A watchman, a civil servant, a branchmanager etc become PM, ministers and bankpresidents!

nonsense- nor did I find anywhere it says he has been invited. This is purely a propaganda that some jobless somalis or tribal thugs would make us believe. For THE RECORD; I even called the foreign ministry (and I challenge you to do that!) and they are not aware of the swedish government inviting him.

Your president has been invited by a loose organisation representing somalis in Sweden. Actually, this organisation and others do not represent somali- but a self wining ´jaaliyad that is manned by parasital )lazy somalis).

What do you mean by protocol???????????? WAS ABDILLAHI YUSUF ON A STATE VISIT? Did you listen to p1???? Meeting representatives of companies ( I doubt that he met with CEOs) ?- The issue of him meeting the ceo was carried by websiteweyn- and a little board speaks volumes about the lies=

http://www.fsb.se/sst/inf/out/infOutWww/0,,9120,00.html

"To solicit" is a common verb and could even mean asking. You need to consult a dictionary , my friend- my english is not that good- But your fending off soliciting as a term only used to describe prostitutes is a fallacy- and a mockery of the language. Do you mean a solicitor ( a legal representative) is a prostitute? You have obviously a limited vocublary bro!

For your convinience, here is what the webster says about the verb solicit:

"Main Entry: so·lic·it

Pronunciation: s&-'li-s&t

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English, to disturb, take charge of, from Middle French solliciter, from Latin sollicitare to disturb, from sollicitus anxious, from sollus whole (from Oscan; akin to Greek holos whole) + citus, past participle of ciEre to move -- more at SAFE, -KINESIS

transitive senses

1 a : to make petition to : ENTREAT b : to approach with a request or plea

2 : to urge (as one's cause) strongly

3 a : to entice or lure especially into evil b : to proposition (someone) especially as or in the character of a prostitute

4 : to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas

intransitive senses

1 : to make solicitation : IMPORTUNE

2 of a prostitute : to offer to have sexual relations with someone for money

synonym see ASK "

Now tell me whose english is below standard?????

So, mr. English, what is the message of the paper? I couldn't find any reference that is positive to Yusuf's cause (or even your stance). In your translation, you refrain from giving the readers, the bibliography of Mr. Yusuf as a warorld, as responsible for our plight.

Why don't you translate the whole article for the readers to decide (including the bibliography)? That could be a challenge- don't you think?

Anyway, Mr Wacdaro, I don't visit this website and other websites to engage in discussions that have become part of our culture (fadhi ku dirir issues, internet based tribal discussions, wear a tribal shirt and make sure what I write is in line with tribal views etc.).'

Marka nabadeey- and good luck with your president's state visit . I hope that King Karl Gustav offers him court, that Göran Persson recieves him and promises him financial and military support to subdue his opponents- that oil companies sign an agreement of prospecting- with advance payments and that he succeeds in using force to become a defacto ruler.-

If you want to engage in bilaa macno discussion, I am sure you will find many willing people on this website and others- but for my part I am done.

did u ever believe this home-boy really gives a damn about somali!! he rather live like pimp and guess who is pimping! us of course! sad day 4 all of us!!

now when he comes to usa! i would like the state department to put him in Motel 6 n leave the lite off for him! so the roaches would bite his azz!! :confused:

Caaqil sxb both of us are here to re-report on what papers have said on. For the instance of the president meeting with prominent individuals in sweden is only taken from reports including somaliweyn.com. But your statements of him asking money to buy arms to free his people is absolutly false. For the instance of the term used as being solicit please do know theirs a stark differencee between. Am a student of Law in Cambridge and if you had some legal experience you would know why this word is only used in eglish law and the country as a whole. The case precedent provided by Ruth Elliot v Royal Bourough of Chelsea and Kensington provided where the judges ruled that the word soliciting would only be used for that sole purpose. And the thing that made me angry was not only that you lied about the president asking for money as where the paper said the government was doubling the aid give to somalia this year, but due to you're selection of words and due to your bigoutrious mind u didnt take into consideration what word actually is used for in Britain or the USa.

Caaqil am not either here to speculate not in the position to do so as nor was I in attendance in sweden as I was merely re-reporting the exact contents of the article. If you have you're own opinions pls do post them after you're letter my friend but please dont mix them up with your own views. If you had the pleasure to call Utrikes departamentet heey good for you!!! But neither did you open this thread to discuss things being reported in media and their accurace but you opened it to portray in your own words an article prodeced by an respected paper. Neither am gonna continue to reply to this thread as theirs a fine dinstiction between the paper saying aid is being doubled and Abdulaahi asking for money to free his people.

Caaqil by the way you contacted the foreign office and as you said the weren't even aware of him being there.Then how do you explain that the next in line of the Prime minister Swedish Secretary of State's press release where he welcomes the president to sweden where he said he would have meetings with officials from government,parliament,authorities and organisations and what she called swedish-somalis.

So I find it extremely ridiclous of you to attack the somalis welcoming their president of being a jaaliyad as you are trying to portray as from coming from one clan. It amazes me to the great extent and great length some people are trying to ridicule the president but in fact in the process ridiculing themeselves. Again Caaqil please refrain to give false statements from news papers let alone Foreign Ministries. As my friend Horn Africue said theirs a distiction from giving your own opinions or lying by substituting your's for others, or are you just afraid that you're opinions will be taken as not only unresonable and out-right ridicolous.

Here's the press release and the link is

http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/586/a/63119;jsessionid=aSfSZcDVbDha

Press release

02 May 2006

Ministry for Foreign Affairs

Somalia's transitional president visits Sweden

The transitional president of Somalia, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, is visiting Sweden on 2-3 May.

The purpose of the visit is to discuss developments in Somalia and Swedish support for the peace and reconstruction work that is now under way in Somalia. During his visit, Mr Yusuf will meet representatives of the Government, the Riksdag, Swedish government agencies and organisations, and Swedish Somalis.

"I welcome President Yusuf's visit to Sweden and the opportunity for bilateral discussions on the great challenges that Somalia faces. Ever since the peace talks started, Sweden has played a prominent role in the international dialogue with the Somali parties. International support is crucial in the difficulties that the transitional leadership in Somalia has to wrestle with, if the progress that has been achieved is to last," says State Secretary Annika Söder, who is hosting the visit.

---------------------------------

Sweden has provided active political and economic support to the peace process since 2003. Sweden expects to give humanitarian support and support for peace and reconciliation totalling SEK 160 million in 2006. If the peace process makes progress, there is a readiness for more extensive support, partly within the framework of the donor conference that is planned with Sweden and Italy as co-hosts.

Contact

Jan Janonius

Press Officer

+46 8 405 57 83

+46 70 847 89 58

email to Jan Janonius

Christian Carlsson

Press Officer

+46 8 405 58 80

+46 70 257 56 56

email to Christian Carlsson

Mikael Sönnerbäck Gahn

Desk Officer

Africa Department

+46 8 405 27 98

Coloow   

Wacdaro,

Three things:

1) I don't care whether you are student at Cambridge, or a folkhögskola, whatever that is? (why do I get the feeling that you use it in a boastful way?). The word solicit is used differently in different contexts. Outside the legal system (by the way what is a solicitor?) people have free will to use a word. According to the webster, the word could mean differently. The most laughable sentence ever written on somalinet is :

"The case precedent provided by Ruth Elliot v Royal Bourough of Chelsea and Kensington provided where the judges ruled that the word soliciting would only be used for that sole purpose."

There are no precedents in using a word! This coming from a student of Camdbrige???? War Camdbrige- xaal qaado! Walaahi, I am doubting that you have ever seen the walls of a university. As an academic, one is taught that there are no rights or wrongs. Don't they teach that at Cambridge????? Don't they encourage you to use concepts in different contexts to provoke or make a point????

2) Obviously, your knowledge of the swedish political system is limited . Sweden differs from many countries in the way things ae conducted. It is not unusual (anyone could request to meet with leaders!) We don't have the wall of politics that many nations have. It is easy as a citizen or an organisation to ask for a meeting with a representative of any government. Once there is a date and place fixed for such a meeting- the foreign office or any department for that matter would release a press message. I have been to many companies/many government buildings alone or with a delegation- and I have seen our delegation's name on press documents. When the Sharif and that warlord in Lund (qaybdid) came there were received by officials.

The swedish government did not officially invite Cabdullahi Yusuf. He was invited by a somali organisation (riksförbund) and it is that organisation that requested to meet officials. In the spirit of the swedish system, they were granted a meeting with officials.

In the normal circumstance of an official invitation, a president is accorded court with the head of state (King!).

3)Sweden and many other nations for that matter have provided funds through the NGOs for many decades. We have research organisations, ecumenical organisations and development organisations involved in somalia and elsewhere. Swedish foreign aid has been a feature of sweden since the second world war. There is a donor conference organised by sweden and italy. A pilot conference in this context was arranged- and I attended it. And this was a fiasco. It showed how retarded somalis are! Walaahi, there were many somalis that attended it in a small northern town. Many of them representatives of qabiil based organisations and a few academics. After discussing the situation in somalia- someone said to represent the government of somali spoke; He had an "expert"- a swedish consultant. He claimed that the conference should raise BILLIONs of DOLLARS!!!!!! He was talking about the restructing of the economy, building the nation from scratch- training armies, policing, buying arms to defend the "nation" etc. When asked several questions pertaining to how these funds would be raised- he did not give an answer. The worst part of this debacle was when the other organisations presented their versions. Walaahi, as a somali academic, I have never felt such a shame of seeing my people argue in such a shallow manner!

If You or anyone is expecting that sweden would provide funds to the so called somali government to buy arms, suffocate regions, fight islamism (a term used to denote those who you disagree with) then, you are mistaken sxb.

The EU (which sweden is part of) and many other nations have adopted a wait-and-see stance on the somali government. I don't think it has been officially recognised.

I am not " kool aid" ( I hate Oreilly- but I love the term) consumer.