Sign in to follow this  
me

Protest against Indians in Kampala-Uganda

me   

Uganda protests Indians

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:32:38 pm

Ugandans take to the streets in protest

Ugandan citizens of Indian descent are living in a state of fear. An Asian was stoned to death by a mob and two others were killed when a protest turned violent.

Troops in armoured cars were deployed in central Kampala to stop rioters attacking Asian businesses and a Hindu temple. They were angry over moves to expand an Indian-owned company's sugar plantations. The proposal was to axe nearly a third of one of Uganda's last natural forests to make way for growing sugarcane.

"Don't they see that Ugandans are crying? Don't they see that Ugandans are concerned? Don't they see that Ugandans don't want their policy? That is why am wearing this banner which says 'Mehta, do you want another Amin?' We don't want Amin to come back and chase them but if need be, another Amin will emerge in Uganda," says one protestor.

"If he wants a forest, then we can retaliate also on the citizens of Asia so that they can go back in their own country. This is why Amin in 1972 received a high welcome to dismiss the Asians," says another angru demonstrator.

Though 75,000 Asians were expelled by the dictator Idi Amin in 1972, many have returned. But they are viewed with suspicion by many Ugandans, who resent their domination of business.

Sanjay Patel, Ugandan Indian, says, "This is a small thing to what has happened in Uganda many years, yes there is a bit of what you call sectarianism or racism or slogans against Asians but that doesn't deter us in our goals. This is our country and we are here to stay."

me   

Three killed in Uganda protest violence

Asians targeted by some rioters; temple attacked

By Francis Kwera and Euan Denholm, Reuters | April 13, 2007

KAMPALA, Uganda -- A mob stoned to death an Asian man in Uganda yesterday and two other people were killed during a protest over a plan to cut down nearly a third of a rainforest reserve to grow sugarcane, police and witnesses said.

Troops in armored cars were deployed in central Kampala after police fired tear gas and bullets to stop rioters attacking Asian businesses and a Hindu temple. The rioters were angered by moves to expand an Indian-owned company's sugar plantations.

The capital's police commander, Edward Ochom, said three people were dead.

"One is an Asian man who was stoned to death by the rioters. The other two are Ugandans and we are still investigating their deaths," he said.

As scores of demonstrators hurled rocks at police in the pouring rain, officers rescued more than 100 Asian men besieged in a Hindu temple and elsewhere, and rushed them to a police station. Dozens were arrested.

"We were inside the temple and the protesters started attacking us from outside," said Dipaul Patel, 50. . "It was very frightening."

Uganda's police chief, Major-General Kale Kayihura, told the group that had taken shelter that anyone targeting them would be targeted by his force. "I want you to be secure," he said.

The scenes outside were a sharp reminder of 1972, when the late former dictator Idi Amin expelled Uganda's Asians.

Thousands have returned, but are viewed with suspicion by some Ugandans who resent their domination of many businesses.

One Indian supermarket owner who gave his name as Kumr said rioters pulled him from his motorbike then beat him.

"I am blaming the police for this," he said. "What investor will want to come here?"

Police chiefs had approved yesterday 's march, called to protest plans to cut down tens of thousands of acres of Mabira Forest to expand the estate of the local sugar company Scoul. Scoul is part of the Indian-owned Mehta Group.

Protest organizer Frank Muramuzi said the march began peacefully, before a "misunderstanding" with the police.

"All of a sudden they opened fire with tear gas and live ammunition," he said. "Everyone scattered."

The controversy began last year when President Yoweri Museveni ordered a study into whether to ax 17,000 acres or nearly a third of Mabira. Mabira -- which has been a nature reserve since 1932 -- is one of Uganda's last remaining patches of natural forest.

The government's proposal angered some parliamentarians and residents. They argued that the environmental costs of slashing the rainforest would far exceed the economic benefits of the plantation.

ElPunto   

^Sad - but shouldn't the Asians have consulted with the populace and ahem, greased the wheels of the laaders to ensure a smooth run of affairs.

I think all these asians should be bringed over to Somalia instead. Would like to have a K-mart look-a-like store near my future beachfront estate in Mog.

ElPunto   

^Typical racist African! Sits on his lazy *** amidst the riches of his country - then someone makes something of it - and then you huff and puff. :D

^^No they are not. I like Indians. The ones i worked with them were the best colleague i had. They are like somalis.

Ask me about Chinese knowledge workers...that's a different story.

ElPunto   

^War huss :D

What have you got against them anyway? Usually hardworking, crime-free immigrants. And don't tell me they're racist. Cause so what? Somalis are as bad or worse.

They are hardworking and everything, but after exploiting the resources of the host country, these people send all the wealth back to their native country, and hardly anything stays in the host nation.

Their treatment of the workers they hire is horrendous with such long hours, and little pay.

You should how they treat domestic workers, worse than Arabs that rape their maids. They treat poor like dogs literally.

bambo   

This not a good news , Africans are goin wild considering whats happening to the somali citizens in south africa .

this is not a a good news for somali who own business stretching from South Africa to Kenya .