Sign in to follow this  
-KIWI

Whats the point??

-KIWI   

Salaam

Call me sensitive,but whats the point of the ppl

around the world wasting their precious time just to attend a nonsense protest.

I have never been to a protest in my life,not even when our only masjid in my city was burned by jews.

Dont get me wrong, i appualse young ppl across the world demonstrating to rally against the war on Iraq and using their intiative in organising

anti-war movements,but really isnt this yelling and screaming highly irrational.

We are all acutely conscious to Usa's real motives,to control Iraqs oil,to militiraly dominate the middle east and to evently overthrow

Saddam.

I find it hard to comprehend that ppl have the power or the will to stop Bushes goverment.

War was inevitable in the first place.

Anti-war movements are said to be Bush,Blair and Howards worst nighmare,but thats all rubbish.

Bush is still ordering Blair and Howard to jump off the cliff and Blair and Howard are still asking how high!!

Its obvious you can't create war and stimultenously create peace,Bush isnt having a hard time in grasping the implication of that.

What can we do other than sit glued to oue Tvs

and hear about Usa and its allies massacring innocent Iraqs.

Roaming around the streets and creating a traffic chaos just to make a statement that Bush will not hear,is just unacceptable.

These ppl are letting everyone know how they feel about the war. It is important to do so and show the world these so called leaders are ignoring the wishes and opinions of the very own people. Sitting around and doing nothing mounts to endorsing the actions of these warmongers.

Blessed   

You know what they say, 'silence is agreement'. Demos. are a way of expressing ur opposition. they need to know that they are wrong ... as Muslims or even humans we can't sit back and watch like it is a football match. People's lifes are at stake here, the least you can do is register your disaproval, make ducaa and send aid if necessary... but we can't sit back n ask whats the point.

Najmo   

Naziha goo point your raised sis but protesting does make a difference. and in spite your assertion which is true specially in this particular situation, it did make a difference in Vietnam, not much but even a little is a lot.

protesting also does not necessarily mean taking to the streets. just speaking to our friends and aquaitances to express our feelings against our leader's actions is a form of protest.

most of the protesting going on right now is passive protest. it's people saying "we don't want xxx" and being public about it, sometimes throwing rocks or whatever. unless the government is concerned about public opinion for whatever reason (in canada the gov't seems to be paying attention to these kinds of situations), the main effect is to increase public awareness about a problem. people who wouldn't normally think about it are forced to. more people form opinions on the matter.

we are all a product of our environments and our own positions and beliefs are modified constantly by what we learn by listening to others. therefore, you can influence what others believe just by telling them how you see things. when we stop talking about war, we promote war. there are a couple of kinds of protesting, and both of them have effects.

what there isn't a whole lot of right now is active peaceful disobedience, like refusing to go to work, or blockading airports and stuff. in san francisco there has been a fair bit of traffic-blocking in the last few days. when this kind of protest is really organized and targets specific places, it can have more effect on government because it shows the public is willing to act, and to escalate.

peace

Senora   

naziha

I'm all for the whole "freedom of speech" and expressing how you feel, but i agree with Naziha, what's the point? The war is now going on, there isn't much you can do to stop it. I want to be optimistic, but an issue like this fails me to do so. Plus I'm against protesting for war when a war is going on. There are people out there fighting for something they really don't belive in, so instead I'm in support of trying to make sure they come home safely, and that less amounts of innocent civilians fall victim to this war.

One other thing i want to point out is some of things that go on in the war protests I have been to. Instead of arguing over issues, they talk about their hatred of Bush. Whats the point of that?! educate others about what to do in situations like this, or preach diplomacy, but creating fallacies wont get you anywhere.

In my opinion doing something, how small, it's much better than doing nothing. Standing there and maybe shouting isn't heard by the president of USA now, but it will definitely be felt by him when he is coming for re-elections soon. Every change that was established in this country be it woman's right, labor's right, was done by striking and protesting. Everyone understands that things just don't change by themselves, you have to make those changes no matter how long it takes it. SO BIG UPS TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE PROTESTING AND PARTICIPATE IN ACTIVISM DEMONSTRATIONS. Because of them it seems some of us can afford to sit on the side lines and just watch. But I am glad that a lot of people aren't just happy with pretending to be hopeless and that the established rules are never meant to change.

that's my 1 1/2 cents on this topic.

Miskin   

interesting but not quite true!!!! Demos do make a difference, atleast they show that there are ppl in the world who dont agree with bush and blair's war. as one poster said silence counts as agreement so you would rather be counted as anti war instead of pro war.

Fail to report you (Naziha & Pricness-lady) but protesting does for infact make a difference in which my nomads have emphasised. Both of you said " whats is the point of protesting while the war has started and is still continue"--

1st Sencro'- just say we refuse to protest and regard anything we may hear from freedom fighter and news are implying.--what happens next?.

Simple; war goes to go on undoubtly and even prohaps start a new convention of array.--when lead to one war to another.

2nd Sencro'- Say we choose to fight, protest aganst the war. Yes our words wont be heard immediately, who knows it may take from a week to a year but trust if we all UNION it will be heard.--time is vital but the actions in the aftermath will surely recover the lost souls.

SO NOW YOU ALL HAVE A CHOICE TO PROTEST ( TAKE A CHANCE IN MAKING A DIFFERENCE; CHANCE BEING THE KEY TERM) OR SIMPLY IGNORE ALL ASPECTS OF THE NEWS AND PRO PROTESTERS?...BUT I BELIEVE AS MUSLIMS, WE'RE AGAINST KILLING OF ANY KIND AND IF WE CAN DO ANYTHING IN TRYING TO STOP OR PROHIBIT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN THEN WE SHOULD TAKE SOME SORT OF ACTION FOR OUR BELIEVES.--WONT CHA WANT TO BELIEVE THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD LOOKING OUT FOR YOU IF YOU WERE EVER TO BE PLACED IN IRAQ...HOPE IS WHAT GETS UP AND LEADS US; LETS NOT TRY AND KILL THAT FOR SUFFERING PEOPLE OUT THERE.

XXX

Naziha,princess-lady

Paragon   

Mind you Nomads.... There are muslims, including xizb-ul-Khalifah (which i support to some extent,) who are demonstrating with the motto of "don't stop the war". It may sound strange but i agree with their principles on this war. Their believe is that this demonstration's purpse is to give Muslim world a false feeling that this war is against only against Saddam but not a crusade agaisnt Muslims, which, in turn leads to the slow demise of Muslim countries one by one. I can't talk more about it now, but i suggest you visit this website out by Khilaafah xizb: www.1924.org

Senora   

you know what Scorpion sista, your absolutely right. I still dont think protesting will do much in this war, but a lot of things that did happen in this country started out with people protesting about it. But one thing that i do agree about and have never doubted, its elections that can speak louder than any protest. Even though i know deep in my heart that protesting can be effective, your post just opened my eyes once again.

Jamilah   

Naziha,

I disagree with you it might not make much of difference but some oughta show those murderes that we stand by the poor Iraqi people who are locked up in their homes getting bombed and claimed to be getting 'liberated'. Seriously the last thing we want to do is encourage them by not speaking out.