Sign in to follow this  
ladane

What do we know about our history

ladane   

Since most of us who use Somaliaonline came to the diaspora at a young age I wonder how many of us do know our history.

We all know that we are very well familiar with the histories of the countries we live whether it is Europe or North America. Speaking from my experience, in this country children are thought their history from the time of the Norman conquest in 1066 led by William of Normandy to the present day. I guess most of us are subject of learning similar histories.

Off course I believe that learning the histories of other peoples os useful but what worries me sometimes is our lack of knowledge in our own history. I believe that it would be good idea if we use this wonderful website (somaliaonline) for exchanging what we know about our history and enlightening each other of our knowledge. I am sure we have a better history but the problem is that it was not given an academical attention and explored throughouly

Bohemian   

Sallaam to you all

ladane, brilliant idea!!

Presumably, there are nomads who had the privilege of learning the somali history one way or another.....and those can share hopefeully with others like me whose knowledge of our history is limited or next to nada, niet and would like to take that opportunity.

Nuruddin   

I dont think we kan talk about somali history the same whey as english. Ther is allat of writen rekord in english history. And somali is not kulter thad hade writen tradition. As you know we did not have alfabet antil 70:s befor that we hade smal number of people writing in arabic alfabet. So we can not start somali history from 1066. We can only begen from 1600 even from this time it is litl known. If you go befor this time it will be beg fight people will talk myth. Ther is allat of history that was made upp under Siad bare time. It is easy to make upp wen ther is litl evedens, dokument, arkelogy, inscriptions....

ladane   

I disgree brother Nurudin with you; you are partially right to say that we did not have a written Somali then But there were many other languages that is used to write. For example in Europe also there werent many people who could write and had access to the education. Only clergymen and aristocrats could read and write.

While this era was the golden age for muslims but in Europe was in the contrary and they refer it as the dark ages.

Coming back to the issue of Somali history; there are many written transcrpits about Somalia which dates back to the 3500 BC. For example Chinese manuscripts are mentioned in Somalia as an important commercial centre as it imported ivory, cloths and spices. Also Hatsepshut who was the first Pharaoh queen established close commercial links with northern coast of Somalia.

After the spread of Islam, Horn of Africa was the first place outside Arabian Peninsul that Islam reached before it even spread to the most of the Arabs. Furthermore, Somalia is mentioned in many arabic writing by the most renowned historians, thinkers and philosophers of their time such al-Masudi 935 AD, Al-Bakri 1067 AD, Al-Idris 1154 AD. Ibn Batuta who is not doubt the world's greatest traveller mention in his book When he visited Mogadishu reported seeing cloth being exported from Mogadishu to places as far off as Egypt and China.

For the time being I will stop my research here and carry on from there another time insha allah. However if anyone is interested where to read let me know and I will try to suggest to the some of the most informing books.

----------------------------------------

Aduunkaan weerarka ah walaa xoowlaan ka iri

Nuruddin   

I have read ibn batutas travel of the world and it was intresting. The fanniyas was when he was in Zeylac LoL. Bat i did not se the part hem seeing cloth exported? The only Good record was ibn Batuta and that was only 10 line. So the evedens you was talking about is very littl. Meybe the prolem is the west was never intrestid in history of east africa they nver made arkelogikal deging as in north,south,west africa. And somali did not hade the time to ge intresed in history. So i tink ther is allat to check efter the war that was never checkt out befor.

ladane   

Which book about Ibn Batuta did you read? Is is the original book in which he talks about his whole trip in which he first stayed in Zeila then sailed to Muqdisho to meet the Sultan. It is a detailed book unless you read some few quatation from his writings.

There are plenty of writings though most of them are in Arabic languages since the writers both Arabs and Somalis wrote in Arabic languages

Samafal   

Good topic I guess but how will we find the infomration is the cricual point nevertheless keep up the good work

LuCkY   

I THINK THAT THIS IS A GREAT TOPIC TO BE DISCUSSED. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF YOU NOMADS BUT I HARDLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SOMALIAS HISTORY. I ONLY THE STORIES MY PARENTS AND RELATIVES TOLD ME ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES AND WHATNOT.

I KNOW THERE IS SOME OF YOU NOMADS OUT THERE THAT HAVE MORE INSIGHTS, WE WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO FILL US IN-EVEN IF ITS JUST A LITTLE PIECE OF INFO YOU HAVE TO SHARE.