Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

So hard to find Modest clothes

Modesty   

Why is it when you go to the Juniors' section of any store, most of the clothes are either tight, the pants meant to show your panties when you bend over, the shirts designed to show your midriff, arms, and back. And most the "modest" clothes are meant for older women. I don't think many non-muslim girls even want to dress in those revealing clothes, but they don't have a choice because that's what's available. Why is it that in America, or other western places it's acceptable for younger women to bare it all, what about those women who want to respect their bodies and wear looser, more covering clothes while still trying to look fashionable? Maybe I shouldn't ask, but I'm very not liking this. I'm tired of having to buy older women shirts that look well...older. The somali stores don't have anything fashionable, they just have the same uniform like skirts, and super baggy shirts (don't listen to me, I'm not trying to hate on anyone's business). Will American women choose to "cover up" soon? WIll they get tired of baring their breasts, backs and midriffs. Also, I see lots of somali sisters with 'hijab' with super tight skirts, and I don't blame them because of the cute skirts are always 'tight'.SUbhanAllah!

There are so many stores that sell all kinds of clothes. Whatever the style, you can always find nice clothes that match your preferences, you just need to look a little harder.

Do you think you are attracted to glittery garments? Those are usually the most immodest.

Naden   

Modesty,

I find the higher end stores to have the best selections and better fits. If you don't mind paying a little bit more, I would try Tristan and Ralph Lauren if they have them in your area. I find most regular store sizes laughable; some are only fit for pre-adolescent bodies.

don't think many non-muslim girls even want to dress in those revealing clothes, but they don't have a choice because that's what's available.

I am not so sure on that!! Maybe they are happy to flash out what they have Got " Flaunted If You Got it was the phrase that comes to mind"

Why is it that in America, or other western places it's acceptable for younger women to bare it all, I am sure we could ask the 14 yr old that, Oh let me have a Go on that though! is it coz they have the figure to show for such sizes!

The somali stores don't have anything fashionable, they just have the same uniform like skirts, and super baggy shirts

I thought those trying to be religious didnt give fck about new trends when it came to a fashions point of view, after all any cloth that would cover You would make the Cut Noh!

Khayr   

I've gone into some of these female clothing stores (not by choice ofcourse :D ) and Moedesty's statements have truance to them.

Most female clothes are very tight and cleavage centred-by design! It is what is fashionable and marketable. In that sense, females have a limited a choice.

For modest clothing, they have to go to speciality stores that are expensive or the a muslim clothing store.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Khayr:

I've gone into some of these female clothing stores (not by choice ofcourse
:D
) and Moedesty's statements have truance to them

You never know the intentions of these wadaads I tell ya :D:D

winnie   

i used to wear abayas regularly because i was so sick of shopping (i convinced myself it was cause it was more modest but really i was just lazy).anyhow, im thinking of making a big throw back to the early 90's and wearing nothing but oversized hoodies, baggy jeans and timbalands. i may possibly break out in dance also.

*does the urkel*

anyhow, what the hell are you doing in the juniors sections? are you still twelve, cause if so you had me fooled. i think you just got to be creative. im semi serious about the hoodies because its covering and fitting to my lifestyle.

an option is to layer, if you wear hijab you can just wear a long one to cover the bosom if the shirt itself isnt the most modest. in my opinion, the most troublesome part of shopping is finding something for the bottom half long skirts or tunic style shirts are hard to find. but in the summer layering comes in handy, you can wear a thin top and blazer over it. if this really bothers you, and if you think you have the talent and time for it, why dont you start your own muslim clothing line, or at least make your own clothes? i would but i lack talent and time.

and to the guy who said something about religious ppl not caring about style, well define religious? imo, not caring about material things dsnt make you more religious but more of an aesthetic, a quality i admire and is also liked in islam but not a true gauge of ones faith. also, when a girl puts on hijab she doesnt automatically get a wadaad certificate, there are many other obligations they have to meet and muslims (male and female) achieve them at varying success rates.

Modesty   

^ Being an asthethetic isn't encouraged in Islam. You can live your life, and still be a muslim. And No, i'm not 12, I just have to go to the Juniors' section because that's where the young adults female clothing is located, I'm sorry but I don't want to wear old lady shirts.

Naden, I'm on a tight budget, and I don't think I can shop at those places for now.

Covering your head doesn't make you any religious than a girl without a headcover walking down the street. In fact, that same girl might be more knowledgeable, and God-fearing than you. Secondly, wearing hijab doesn't mean you shouldn't care about your looks. I mean, it's already hard enough living in the post-9/11 USA wearing hijab, imagine how it would feel you walked down the street looking like you are from a village in Las Caanod.Not good.

I haven't bought anything for myself (except shirts) for close to three years now. Family outside Canada sends me stuff - love 'em. If I was to buy anything that fit me - it would be those $175 skirts. I wouldn't pay that much if I had the money - sadly I'm broke.

P.S.

Covering your head doesn't make you any religious than a girl without a headcover walking down the street. In fact, that same girl might be more knowledgeable, and God-fearing than you

Maybe you meant it the other way around? If that person is religous, knowledgable of the deen and God fearing, they would obey the command (not suggestion) to wear the hijaab, no? Don't want to bring an arguement, but I kind of see a trend where people are giving the benefit of doubt to non hijaab wearing sisters but so quick to insinuate undercover activities with covered sisters (not saying u are).

-Lily-   

Do you have Zara/H&M over there? You might find some skirts there, they shouldn't be pricy. If all else fails, come to London you ll find fashionable long skirts & dresses as well as itsy bitsy bits & jeans. I'm loving the summer, when and if it decides to arrive :rolleyes:

Best way to look hot: wear all the skimpy tight watever u want to wear and just cover a decent Cabaayad or similar thing and any sister will look hot as heaven ...

^Hoping heaven won't be hot, actually!

It's a pain finding anything suitable to wear let alone something that suits u as an individual.

Anybody know any good tailors, and I mean good not the kind that can sew a dirac together on an old Singer sewing machine and voila they're a good tailor?

JUSTICE   

Principles clothings are decent, I like everything they have. the y might be for old ladys , but that is my style .

021020432_fr.jpg

this one of the things that makes u go ooooooooooh

this skirt costs 45 pounds

winnie   

Originally posted by Modesty:

^ Being an asthethetic isn't encouraged in Islam. You can live your life, and still be a muslim. And No, i'm not 12, I just have to go to the Juniors' section because that's where the young adults female clothing is located, I'm sorry but I don't want to wear old lady shirts.

Covering your head doesn't make you any religious than a girl without a headcover walking down the street. In fact, that same girl might be more knowledgeable, and God-fearing than you. Secondly, wearing hijab doesn't mean you shouldn't care about your looks. I mean, it's already hard enough living in the post-9/11 USA wearing hijab, imagine how it would feel you walked down the street looking like you are from a village in Las Caanod.Not good.

never said otherwise, sis but if you steer clear from the juniors section im sure you can find stuff that is fashionable and yet modest.

JUSTICE   

What about mixing and matching and being creartive. Design your own outfit, that is gonna look nice.

what about this top, this was the fasion item in arabic drama. Just add the scarf on your head and u gonna look, decent and trendy

LaHa-JMD03.jpg