Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland: Preparation for the upcoming December 2007 elections

Djibouti (HAN) August 19, 2007 - The recent five ‘National Election Commission’ (NEC) board nominees who were endorsed by parliament in May were on Tuesday instructed by President Dahir Rayale Kahin to begin the commission’s work in preparing the country for the up and coming December 2007 local-government elections and the April 2008 presidential election.

The president said in his memo, addressed to the five candidates who were recently endorsed by parliament as appointees for the NEC board of executives that “with due consideration, I have taken on the decision to install ‘in office’ the two remaining Upper House of Elder’s candidate nominees for the NEC executive board and, whilst awaiting to be endorsed by parliament, will, along with you, take charge of the running and mandate of the office of the National Election Commission of Somaliland.

Furthermore, the president’s memo stated, “because, the Upper House of Elders have nominated for parliament’s approval and endorsement of their NEC board candidacies for the second time and due to the limited remaining time period before the start of the national elections, I convey, under the provision of the constitution’s Article 114 (3) titled “The Appointment of and Removal from Office of Heads of the Organs of the State Government”, which permit’s me to inaugurate appointed heads of the organs of the state government to hold office in a temporary capacity for not more than three months, whilst awaiting confirmation from parliament for the appointees to be sworn into office, that you (the five parliament approved NEC board appointees) with the two NEC board nominees, waiting to be confirmed by parliament will as from immediate effect take charge of the commission’s work.

In the memo, President Rayale, also instructed the five approved parliament NEC board appointees to appoint the eldest among them as temporary chairman and soon as the two NEC board nominees are endorsed by parliament’s approval that the NEC board appoint a permanent chair and vice-chair.

Sources, close to the presidency have informed SL Times that the president wrote separate letters to the two non-parliament approved NEC board nominees that the president conveyed to the two nominees that they are to temporarily assume their appointments as NEC board members and will for the time being work as commissioners for the next three months, until parliament endorses their appointments.

On Thursday, the parliament approved and non-approved NEC board nominees took charge of the NEC offices, equipment and vehicles from the government committee, which was appointed by president Rayale in February this year, after, the previous NEC board was forcefully evicted from office by Rayale following the board’s expired five year term extended by parliament for another two years, nonetheless, this did not stop president Rayale evicting the old NEC board from its offices and seizing its compound, equipment and vehicles.

Tuesday’s presidential memo angered the opposition KULMIYE and UCID parties, both issued separate press statements which they strongly condemned the president’s memo and said the president’s action is illegal and contrary to the country’s constitution which determines the NEC as an independent national non-government entity and that president Rayale has jeopardised the integrity and neutrality of the NEC and that the president has single handedly installed the two previous nominees who's candidacies were rejected by parliament on the grounds, that their age, exceeded the candidate age range (40-60 yr's) stipulated in the NEC charter.

Ahmed Silayno, the Kulimyey party chairman, speaking to SL Times said that “it behoves; all reason and logic, that those who were not approved by parliament, are, simply installed in office by the president and told to begin their NEC duties, working alongside, the legitimate candidates who’s NEC board nominations were endorsed by parliament. And, worser still, is the fact that the president’s declaration in his memo that the NEC is a state government organ or department, and in comparison, is the like's of the central bank, the government civil servant agency or the general audit office of the government. This is ludicrous and preposterous! ”

The Kulmiyey party chairman lamented that “the next election is already, a pre-concluded matter and a foregone conclusion that president Rayale has won the next election. Really, as things stand, I see no point in the NEC preparing the country for the next general election. Since, the president has gone out of his way, by hook and crook, to get the eventuality of the election victory.”

HERE

Xargaga   

what change MR, JB? cause all the change and reforms so far put forward are that Siilanyo step down for DR. Ahmed Eise. Or do you have any other suggestion.

A.J.   

I think that Somaliland as a whole needs a change in order to progress from the stable but stalled that it has found itself in the last few years.

I think its worth pointing out that Somaliland stopped progressing and developing at the rate it was under Cigaal pretty much the moment Riyaale was fully elected as the president. Now dont get me wrong i do think that Somaliland has progressed to a certain extent since Riyaale's election which i have seen a few times when i went back, but at the same time i think that Somaliland's progression has been hampered by Riyaale's general incompetency. He has not shown any initiative on his own part in taking our country forward and even the biggest UDUB supporters i know think that he needs to be replaced in the UDUB leadership let alone the Somaliland Presidency.

A.J.   

X,

I dont really have a particular favourite to replace but to be honest with you i think anyone except mr waraabe would be a better candidate right now.

I dont see it happening but i admire Ina Meygaag Samatar and Cabdulaahi Jirde, both of whom i think can do a good job

Xargaga   

Great point MR; A.J.I was a special admirer for Meygaag samatar myself, untill i got some romours that, he has been bankrolled by UDUB to dismantle Kulmiye behind the scenes. Iam still tryin to digg out for the truth yet the silence from Samatar during this critical moments makes me wonder. About Jirde i dont think he is that competent.

A.J.   

I wouldnt really trust the rumours as around this time before the election all kinds of crazy stuff will be branded about. I think the silence eminating around the Meygaag Samatar probably alludes to Silaanyo's firm stance as Kulmiye's candidate in the elections.

Cabdulqaadir Jirdeh is a highly respected individual would enjoy everyone's support and who has already played a vital role in Somaliland stability and development. the chances of him running are slim to none but if he ever decided to run i think his chances would be decent

And my vote goes to Abdulqadir Jirde .. a unique individual and honest person with skills and dedication. But i don't think he is interested in running for presidency at least this time.

Ina Maygaag Samatar is another highly appreciated member .... i like the guy and if ever UDUB decides to put him in the fron then why not him being a president ??

Some rumours talk about Ismail Ali Abokor ... not yet sure but if UDUB brings him for the presidency then it is going to be a really great loss for Kulmiye.

I don't even want to mention Faysal here ... :D