Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Elections in Somaliland

N.O.R.F   

As no body seams to be reporting on this topic, i thought that i would get it started just to inform those who had no idea of this.

This is an article from somalilandnet

As everybody who tuned into the CNN may have noticed, the people of Somaliland were waiting for this moment for thirty-five years. With the blessings of Allah and with our long struggle that gave us both victory and maturity we did it. We did it with peace and harmony. It worked for us, as we were always confident that it will work for us.

If in the words of Winston Churchill, Britains finest hour was the repulsing of the Nazi infasion in the battle of Britain, today's succusful Municipal Elections in Somaliland is our finest hour. We love it, we treasure it, we understand it's historical meaning and conotation, and we would march forward upholding the dignity of the individual and his or her sacred right that he or she only can be the master of his or her own fate. We will march forward upholding the principle of the rule of law against the rule of man.

Today it is neither President Rayale kahin nor Sh. Ibrahim and Abdi Wrabe and the Guurti(However great men they truely are) who are the masters in Somaliland. It is the individual who is casting the vote who is the master. From today and on, it is only the citizens of Somaliland those who matter, and they will put anyone they like in office, and the universal wisdom is; only the people can make the best choice of their leaders and their fate.

Today I am proud to be a Somalilander, for Nationalism does not mean a feather if does not contain a message of justice and equality and brotherhood. And there can never be justice and equality and brotherhood if there is no Democracy where Governments and Leaders are accountable to the people. Look at what is happening in the Arab World.

With all their money and knowledge Arab human beings have no dignity and are reared like animals by Kings and Dictators. Look at what is happening in the South of Somalia. One can be ashamed of being a Somali when he reads about their news. I have been searching through the Web-Sites belonging to Somali Southerners.

Not a single one posted the news of Municipal Elections in Somaliland. The reason is that they can not stomach to see the contrast. They can not face the reality that we belong to two different cultures,two that are at different stages of human development, where one is civilized enough to exercise reason, consensus, democracy, peace,justice and development even in a very dire situation of unrecognition. And one that is so barberic, that everyone of their so called leaders meeting in Eldoret has the blood of thousands of people in his hands.What a shme! Only that contrast should make it clear to everybody that we belong to different planets, let alone sharing a country.

In conclusion I think we Somalilanders must tell the world and the other less fortunate Somalis, that what we have been fighting all along for, was ideals of Human dignity. The struggle for Somaliland was never based neither on clan nor on subjectivity nor on anger as has been unwisely and shallowly described by Abdirazak Haji Hussein. It was always based on the principles best described by Thomas Jefferson in the American Declaration of Independence'That we hold that the truth is self-evident, that all men are created equal, that there are certain un-aleinable rights endowed to them by their creator,that among them is life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, that Governments are created to acheive these ends, that Governments are created from the consent of the governed.'

Blessed   

Absolutely walaalo. Well said. The beauty of it all is the enourmouse way we've changed the structure Somali politics in the last decade or so. You have one house-hold that supports a number of parties simply due to their ideologies rather then the qabiil loyalty 'shid' we had in the past.

Anyways, I must confess that I've been a little ignorant with regards to the recent developments on the elections. How is that going now.!?

Last I recall it was a tie between UDUB and Kulmiye? I personaly was inclined towards Kulmiye because they have a female diplomate (I am told) and also because of the fact that the hounrable Silaanyo has always been a personal hero of mine.

N.O.R.F   

I think Udub just about won the local elections with Kulmiye and sSahaan in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

I'm really not with it at the moment and usually ask the elders whats going on.

The next elections will be coming soon between the 3 big parties and i personally hope Silaanyo is the victor as he is from my town and with many supporters throughout Somaliland and the res of the world!

A world wide recognised Somaliland by the summer insha-allah, with myself on the first plane that offcially lands in Somaliland, that would be beutifull!

Blessed   

Yeah.

If Siilanyo wins we will get recognition and my Burco will be developed. Otherwise I am gonna start up my little malitia and sort em out.

On a seriouse note. In Sha Allah khair. They people of Somaliland deserve it.

Istaahil   

northerner,

i agree kulmiyee does not deserve it as much as silaanyo so hope he becomes our new presiden. we will hopefully get recognised if he wins and have a fressh new start insha allah with allahs help.

Ameenah burco's alread a bright city Gal, and i will jion u on ur malitia org. just inform me when the campaign will start ok? lol.

pray for the best of the future of Somaliland!

land of prosperity. Ameen.

N.O.R.F   

I think u misunderstood me istaahil.

Silaanyo is leading Kulmiye and will be successful insha-allah, just hope he appoints me for the post of Minister for Industry and Commerce! ok well maybe not right away :D

N.O.R.F   

Somaliland presidential elections slated for 30 March 2003

Posted to the web 14:38 Jan 07 2003

Jan 07 2003 The national electoral commission has announced the date of the election of the president and the vice-president of the Republic of Somaliland.

The commission made the announcement in line with the article 83 of the national constitution part 26 which is on national elections...

The commission has decided that the election of the president and the vice-president will be held on Sunday 30 March 2003, or 27 Muharram 1423 according to the Islamic calendar...

Source: Radio Hargeysa

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Could we forget this politics and have a decent discussion. I am sure Somaliland is not something to be discussed in a Somali website. Before you jump on my throat, I suggest you read what I said carefully. This is a Somali site, and not a Somaliland site.

Blessed   

^^^ attention seeker!!

As long as Admin dont object we will post our Somaliland politics here!! I know they don't so take your lil opnion elsewhere adoo mahadsan!

Aren't Somaliladers ... Somalis through ethnicity?

Hint, theres a clue in the name.

N.O.R.F   

Salaama Calaaycum

Taqwa bro/sis i thought u was a humble person, look at the topics in this forum, ppl are talking about zionism, judaism, ethiopia, puntland and others.

So whether or not i wish to talk about Somaliland should not be an issue.

ps ameenah march 30 is gonna be the big day, but summer insha- allah we will be landing on SOMALILAND officially!

Baashi   

I peg to differ! and like to see united Somalia.

And yet I'm proud of the fact that there are Somalis who can put aside their tribal differences and still differ on their political affiliations and still go polls to vote who they want to govern them.

One big step ahead of the rest of the country. Oh! how I long! to see us all replicate that model.

Congrats! Northwest.

Gediid   

Baashi

The best comment I have seen to date.Laakin I think this achievement is purely due to the people who came and voted for their choice of leaders peacefully.I am sure this feat can be replicated in other parts of Somalia as well.

Thanks

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum,

Brother Northerner I think it's in the best interest of Somaliland if you didn't discuss it amongst people who aren't having the same view as you. Nationalism is in the heart and it shouldn't be thread dedicated to Somaliland.

Ameenah,

I don't remember replying to you or any of your threads so keep your words for individuals that will listen to them.

Istaahil   

taqwa,

u have no authority to tell members of nomad.com what to discuss and don't say u werent replying to me because u were including all somalilanders who were disscussing this topic when u said

"this is a somali website , not a somaliland website"

so keep ur racist comments 2 urself!!!!