Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

President Sharif Ahmed and his problem

Meiji   

Che,

There is no institutionalized clan entity in Mogadishu thank god. And ever since the days of civil war (1990s) neighbourhoods have become mixed, warlords who artificially kept alive clannisn by dividing the city along clan segments have perished, and the Ethiopian occupation and its brutality has united the people of Mogadishu.

Peace and stability is not the end goal, but a subgoal.

Mogadishu city should develop representative insitutions in which civil society takes the centre stage.

^I share your goal of moving away from Qabil-based representions, but to say there is no institionalized clan entity in Mogadisho is at best self deception and at worst out right lie. Qabiil plays central role in Somali life and Mogadisho is no different. You can wish away qabyaalad , but it won't go away. You gotta deal and work it, but slowly move from it. Peace and stability is key, and after that, incremental reforms are needed instead of grandiose ambitions. Don't confuse your ideals with reality!

me   

^ I see 3 different perspectives.

Yes clan plays a major role in Mogz politics, but clan is not as potent in Mogz as it is in let’s say Hargeysa or Bosaso. Clan politics are weakened in Mogz rather then institutionalized as in Hargeysa or Bosaso.

Clan is loosing ground in Muqdisho. So if the goal is to get rid of clan based politics, then the Muqdisho model is the way forward. Meiji is onto something yaa SOL’ers.

Ask yourself how come that it was Muqdisho that produced the wadaado and not Hargeysa or Bosaso?

NGONGE   

^^ When you say not as potent, from what angel are you coming, saaxib? You mean the clan politics of the M Society did not cause the destruction of that city? Or do you mean it did not keep the conflict going for twenty years? Isn't that potent enough for you?

Some would argue that the clan politics of the others is nothing when compared to the blindness of the phantom M Society, saaxib. As for the reasons why the wadaado appeared! Saaxib, when you turn a place into a sewer don't be shocked when all manner of creatures start crawling out (sometimes even flowers).

Originally posted by Meiji:

Che,

There is no institutionalized clan entity in Mogadishu thank god. And ever since the days of civil war (1990s) neighbourhoods have become mixed,

I strongly disagree sxb.

There are very clear clan boundaries in terns if muqdisho neighborhoods.

to name a few:

Sh. Sharifs clan heavily populate the North part of the city areas such as Kaaraan, Yaqshid etc. and the very south part i.e parts of Madina which they live with another Qabil that heavily populates Madina.

Xuseen jr. people live in a few different areas in the south of the city but well known, Qanyare's qabil live in the West of Xamar near dayniile airport.

the only exception is areas of hodan very close to suuqa bakaaraha .. which is probably the only mixed area of the entire city.

given what area of the city you live .. people can guess your Qabil with reasonable accuracy.

NGONGE   

^^ You mean he's the one that's been welcomed in that other thread? Ma dhici karto! In that case, I shall withdraw from this thread. Ma cala al majnoon xaraj. :D

me   

^ Sometimes it takes turning a place into a sewer before the flowers can grow. The civil society groups in Muqdisho are those flowers.

The Sland PLand admins remind me of the following Dutch saying.

Zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden.

Hargeysa and Bosaso crews have relative peace but no development at all. While Muqdisho have developed during the war.

How come that Muqdisho economy is bigger then Hargeysa and Bosaso combined even after 18 years of war. How come people in Hargeysa are dying of thirst after 18 years of so called independence, come onnnnnn sxb Somaliland and Puntland failed miserably. Why should the people of Muqdisho try the failed concept of clan states?

Hargeysa and Bosaso although they started well, have stagnated and I don’t have to tell you about the smell of stagnant water.

Geelljire Not to mention, the entire foundation of today's Xamar is based on the seclusion of other Somali tribes-ones that get expulsed and left volunterily in 90s.

^ very true sxb.

the city is unrecognizable to anyone who has last seen it before the war.

it may have been mixed in the past .. but it is not like that today.

me   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ You mean he's the one that's been welcomed in that other thread? Ma dhici karto! In that case, I shall withdraw from this thread. Ma cala al majnoon xaraj.
:D

Computer says No.

But if you are willing to capitulate let it be known and I will send you my terms.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Geelljire
Not to mention, the entire foundation of today's Xamar is based on the seclusion of other Somali tribes-ones that get expulsed and left volunterily in 90s.

Well those people are not native inhabitants of hamar, so it makes no difference if they are secluded. icon_razz.gif

Meiji   

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

^ very true sxb.

the city is unrecognizable to anyone who has last seen it before the war.

it may have been mixed in the past .. but it is not like that today.

This is the most funniest comment!

Whole of Somalia is ''unrecognizable to anyone who has last seen it before the war'' yet you pretend like Mogadishu city is the only place that has changed dramatically.

Anyways, lets not steer the discussion to the usual prejudices against Mogadishu for what happened in 1991.

----

So far, none has adressed the issue at hand: Mogadishu society is united and energetic as ever before.

It is moving away from the different factions fighting for political power and moving towards supporting the emergence of peace and stability.

The civil society institutions have shown their face today, dont be surprised if they show their teeth tomorrow.

^ I have no prejudice towards muqdisho or any other city .. hadii ay cuqdud kugu jirto sxb and your hiding behind "Muqdisho society" that is your problem.

I was giving my opinion on a statement you made, the topic at hand was muqdisho not any other city ... and yes I agree all places have been affected similarly since the war but that was not what was being discussed.