Sign in to follow this  
qumane

Somaliland under terrorist attack

Jumatatu   
Yoonis

Remember aabaha kacaanka wouldn't tolerate anything bad happening to his maternital uncle's that's why he settled them all in Hargaysa town, then you would actually do anything about it because as baashi already stated it "there were welcomed by the state and not your people because remember your people were at that time still under the colonisation, slavery and occupation pick whatever you like to refer to that era

^^This man is the most honest person in SOL in respect of the above statement. I just hope he does not change his mind in later stages... :D:D

Gabbal   

Remember aabaha kacaanka wouldn't tolerate anything bad happening to his maternital uncle's that's why he settled them all in Hargaysa town

There were 4 refugee camps stationed in the Somali Republic during the aftermath of the '77 war. Those camps were stationed in Waqooyi Galbeed, Hiiraan, Gedo, and Shabeelaha Hoose.

The population of the refugees as contained in the camps goes:

1. Hiiraan--375,000

2. Waqooyi Galbeed--400,000

3. Gedo--450,000

and

4. Shabeelaha Hoose--70,000

Source

History is grounded on fact, not opinion.

^^

You killin' 'em softly, soldier! Anyways, the refugees in question is a thing of the past. Members of the Kilinka Shanaad are occassionally detained in Hargeisa and its environs on allegations that they're ONLF supporters. As long as the ONLF continues to fight for the human rights and decency of the people of Kilinka Shanaad, who can oppose them? Only a people who's history begun with British colonialism on African soil. Once you sell your soul, you won't have much of anything else left.

SULDAANKA -

You can stretch your muscle in Hargeisa for eternity. They, on the other hand, can make sure you don't breathe anywhere in the Kilinka Shanaad. You should express your gratitude to the Reer Khalaf boys who are paid to mount Somaliland-owned trucks so that ONLF folks don't attack your shit!

Gabbal   

Wind-

That piece of information was for both Suldaanka and the Yonis dude. Suldaanka, because he tried to put the foundation of the current problem on the '77 war and in that only Hargeisa hosted the refugees; and the Yonis dude cuz his argument was more then flawed enough.

BTW nafta ka waran?

qumane   

To bring back original subject, We need to define what is terrorism?

According encyclopedia:

Terrorism , the deliberate creation and exploitation of fear for bringing about political change. All terrorist acts involve violence or—equally important—the threat of violence. These violent acts are committed by nongovernmental groups or individuals—that is, by those who are neither part of nor officially serving in the military forces, law enforcement agencies, intelligence services, or other governmental agencies of an established nation-state. Could we say they are terrorist? or Rayale and Ismail yare mis use this word to get international attantion or use their poaltical game

Terrorists attempt not only to sow panic but also to undermine confidence in the government and political leadership of their target country. Terrorism is therefore designed to have psychological effects that reach far beyond its impact on the immediate victims or object of an attack. Terrorists mean to frighten and thereby intimidate a wider audience, such as a rival ethnic or religious group, an entire country and its political leadership, or the international community as a whole.

Terrorist groups generally have few members, limited firepower, and comparatively few organizational resources. For this reason they rely on dramatic, often spectacular, bloody and destructive acts of hit-and-run violence to attract attention to themselves and their cause. Through the publicity generated by their violence, terrorists seek to obtain the leverage, influence, and power they otherwise lack.

If we apply this criteria, what could we say about this group arrested in Hargeis of course we don't know their aim, but if we assume that they are linked with late group who killed a word winning Italian doctor and couple teachers in Shiekh Could we say the are terrorist or Ismail yare and Rayale mist use this word to get international attention? we need rational discussion about this subject not mixed with pro/against Somaliland feeling

SOO MAAL   

Breakaway Somali Province Announces Capture of al-Qaida Suspects, Orders Foreign Clerics to Leave

The authorities in the self-declared Somaliland republic ordered all foreign Islamic clerics and other non-natives to leave the breakaway region with immediate effect on Saturday (24 September 2005), following news that security forces in the breakaway state have arrested several alleged al-Qaida operatives. The Hargeisa government confirmed that it detained six suspected al-Qaida members in separate security operations on Friday (23 September) on the suspicion that they were plotting to attack local leaders ahead of the region's upcoming parliamentary elections. Interior Minister Ishmail Aden claimed that the suspects had travelled from the Somali capital, Mogadishu, and were planning attacks against senior officials and foreign workers in an effort to disrupt the 29 September elections

Somaliland - which declared its unilateral independence from the rest of Somalia in 1991 - has been relatively peaceful compared to Somalia 'proper' in recent years. However, there has been an upsurge in the level of terrorist attacks against foreigners in Somaliland in recent years, with four expatriate workers being killed in a six-week period in September-October 2003. The incidents have led to a strong suspicion of a new al-Qaida-linked Islamic terrorist cell/group at work in Somaliland, leading to the republic's leader - Dahir Rayale Kahin - ordering all foreigners without permits to leave the self-administrated region within 45 days back in October 2003, suggesting that the killings were committed by 'foreign terrorists' seeking to discredit Somaliland

Somaliland Orders Illegal Aliens Out as it Seeks to Crack Down on Terrorist Acts

Following the slaying of four expatriate workers in the past six weeks in the self-declared republic of Somaliland, the region's leader - Dahir Rayale Kahin - yesterday ordered all foreigners ( mostly somali citizens from central and southern parts of Somalia ) without permits to leave the self-administrated region within 45 days. Issuing the expulsion order, Kahin blamed the recent murders on a conspiracy by outsiders to discredit his republic. 'Insurgents from neighbouring countries are pouring into our towns and cities ... Somaliland will not be a haven for criminals and to avert this, we should be ready to fight them,' Kahin warned. The recent killings began on 15 September, when Oyaw Abdiwahid, a Kenyan national working for a religious charity, was murdered while travelling to a project site in the Gedo region of Somalia. That was followed by the slaying of Italian aid worker, Annalena Tonelli, who was shot dead in the Borama region earlier this month, where she had lived for several years and ran a hospital. And the most recent incident saw, a British couple, Richard and Enid Eyeington, who had been teaching at a secondary school for over a year, killed in cold blood at their home in the town of Sheikh

Castro   

Originally posted by qumane:

If we apply this criteria, what could we say about this group arrested in Hargeis of course we don't know their aim, but if we
assume
that they are linked with late group who killed a word winning Italian doctor and couple teachers in Shiekh Could we say the are terrorist or Ismail yare and Rayale mist use this word to get international attention? we need rational discussion about this subject not mixed with pro/against Somaliland feeling

If that assumption can be substantiated, they are terrorists. What other label can be given such cowards? Freedom fighters? Whose freedom? What cause did the innocent who were only there to help die for? If they're suspects, lock them up while there's an investigation. If found innocent, let them go. At least Somaliland has the ability to identify potential terrorists. In my homeland, Somalia, former and current terrorists are running things.

SOO MAAL   

Al Qaeda member among 4 arrested in Somalia

By Africa correspondent

Zoe Daniel

Authorities in Somalia say they have arrested four militants, including an internationally wanted member of the Al Qaeda terrorist group.

The men were arrested in Somalia's breakaway northern region of Somaliland.

All are believed to be Somalis from the capital, Mogadishu.

Authorities accuse the men of planning attacks to disrupt elections later this month.

They seized weapons and communications equipment.

Police have not named the men but they say one of them trained in Afghanistan and is on an international list of wanted terrorists.

The International Crisis Group think-tank recently warned that an Al Qaeda cell had been set up in Somalia, which has been in a state of anarchy since warlords overthrew the Government in 1991.

Somaliland targets Muslim clerics in Qaeda sweep

Reuters

Sep. 24, 2005 - The self-declared republic of Somaliland said on Saturday eight al Qaeda suspects arrested days before a parliamentary election were all locals from Islamic religious circles.

Somaliland President Dahir Rayale Kahin accused the detainees of "disguising" themselves as clerics to plot attacks prior to the September 29 poll.

Police in the Somaliland region of Burao said one of them -- taken in the latest swoop on Friday night -- was a prominent local cleric Sheikh Mohamed Mohamoud Nur.

"Islam is a religion of peace, but terrorists, like chameleons, change colors and try the one they can easily blend with," Kahin told a new conference.

The suspects, who are accused of working for the al Qaeda network, were all Somaliland locals but trained outside in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, he added.

Somaliland broke away from Somalia in 1991. It has achieved relatively stability but is not recognized internationally.

"Somaliland has become the target of terrorists who are striving hard to de-stabilize the country and disrupt the stability and security that it has achieved through the years," Kahin added.

"These terrorists have all been trained in Mogadishu and we have videotaped evidence of their training."

U.S. and other Western security services see Somalia as a potential safe haven for terrorists, and are believed to be working closely with authorities in Somaliland.

DELICATE ISSUE

Somalia has been without effective central government since warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

Kahin urged Somaliland's 3.5 million inhabitants to help authorities root out extremists in their midst.

"We urge house owners not to rent their houses to people whom they do not know and have no one to vouch for them. We also call on the people to be more vigilant and cooperate with the security forces," he said.

Interior Minister Ismail Osman Aden said late on Friday that all clergymen from Somalia, and parts of Ethiopia, would be asked to leave the country.

But Kahin said: "This is a very delicate issue that has to be studied carefully. A thorough investigation will be conducted before any step is taken against them."

He urged the West to pay closer attention to Somaliland and scoffed at the new Somali government's lack of authority.

"Developed countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom should include small nations such as Somaliland in their fight," he said.

"As for the training in Mogadishu the (new government) is nominal and does not function and that is the reason (terrorism flourishes). Somaliland can contribute a lot in the fight against terrorism."

Police sources said one of the suspects arrested late on Thursday was responsible for killing an Italian aid worker.

Weapons and ammunition was found with all the detainees, authorities said.

Copyright 2005 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

In 1977 the clannish fervency that you are having now were under check. Somali state went to war. Whether that war was right or not is different topic for another time. It was the Somali state that welcomed the refugees under the executive order of the strongman at the time. It beats me why you are trying so hard to portray history this way Suldaan.

I have my own theories about that war itself, but I rather not go into them. Because they are irrelevent for this.

As for the refugees, I say the host people welcomed as much if not more as the state did. But that isn't the point, it just mentioned to reinforce the point being made. Which is if you don't mind me paraphrasing your ealier post about the bidding. Now, why did their military melitias support the stronger (Afweyne) side over the locals during the 1980s? it all comes down to my friend, nin waliba siduu kugu liso ayaa loogu hanbeeya.

Nimanka la dulmiyay ee waliba lagu eedaynayo inay diinta daacad u yihiin waqtigaa ka hiiliyey. Awoowe adduun galinba waa ceyn. Waa ayaan darro hadii nin Muslim ah oo misana jinsiyadiisu Somali tahay oo nabad iyo daris wanaag biday Hargeysa in aqalka lagala baxo oo cadaw gacanta loo galiyo. Awoowe isu hambalyeeya waa adduune.

To believe a myth is as easy a thing as breathing the air.

These men are being tried in Somaliland courts. If they are innocent of the serious charges that they are facing, then they will be set as free men.

There were 4 refugee camps stationed in the Somali Republic during the aftermath of the '77 war. Those camps were stationed in Waqooyi Galbeed, Hiiraan, Gedo, and Shabeelaha Hoose.

The population of the refugees as contained in the camps goes:

1. Hiiraan--375,000

2. Waqooyi Galbeed--400,000

3. Gedo--450,000

and

4. Shabeelaha Hoose--70,000

I am not familiar with those other regions, but one thing I am familiar with is that the Afweyne regime had an active program which it wanted to replace the refugees in place of the locals. What that means is that the refugees will become the natives, and the natives will become refugees.

That was tried but failed miserably.

SOO MAAL   

I am not familiar with those other regions, but one thing I am familiar with is that the Afweyne regime had an active program which it wanted to replace the refugees in place of the locals. What that means is that the refugees will become the natives, and the natives will become refugees.

That was tried but failed miserably.

Soomaalidu waxeey ku maahmaahdaa nin ba waxa uu yahay ama damacsanyhay ayuu dadka kalana ka aaminsanyhay,

So now so-called Somaliland (Hergeysa clan faction) is entertaining the idea of clan utopia, and making the territories of former british colony of Somalia – one clan area, by drive out the natives of Sool and Sanaag to replace the settlers from Hergeysa clan, that will not happen, so-called Somaliland failed to accomplish that evil plan, and Riyoole militia sooner or later will go back their homes.

I heard that Riyaale militia took xoolo by force from native yagoori family and give it to settler family from wagooyigalbeed, then the native yagoori man made a fist-fight with a man from wogooyigalbeed, and riyool militia shot the native yagoori man dead.

From that incident a whole cycle of clan violence started that’s still ongoing.

Xargaga   

This regards the so infinite debate on sool and sanaag i believe that historically somalis lived in this areas peacefully and intermarried alot. untill came some egocentric individuals that created problems between those ppl, that co-existed in peace and prosperity.even right now i really commend the residents of those areas cause they avoided civil clash and mantained peace where else these so called administrations meesha booto kawadaan. my advice to the civilians is to disdain from all acts of violence and especially this time when there are somaliland voting exrcise while puntland is against it. my call to the so called administrations pls let those who want to vote do so likewise dont force anyone to vote not even take ballot boxes to their areas of jusridiction.all in all let me end this with a somali saying that goes "oodi abb kadhow"

Xargaga   

This regards the so infinite debate on sool and sanaag i believe that historically somalis lived in this areas peacefully and intermarried alot. untill came some egocentric individuals that created problems between those ppl, that co-existed in peace and prosperity.even right now i really commend the residents of those areas cause they avoided civil clash and mantained peace where else these so called administrations meesha booto kawadaan. my advice to the civilians is to disdain from all acts of violence and especially this time when there are somaliland voting exrcise while puntland is against it. my call to the so called administrations pls let those who want to vote do so likewise dont force anyone to vote not even take ballot boxes to their areas of jusridiction.all in all let me end this with a somali saying that goes "oodi abb kadhow"