Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Somalia's peace process in final round

Fyr   

Somalia's "peace process" in final round

afrol News, 17 September - The "parliament of Somalia", which was founded by Somali warlords in Kenya last month after two years of negotiating, is soon to elect an all-Somali President and return to Mogadishu to take power. As mighty warlords keep on fighting in south Somalia and the question of Somaliland remains disputed, the new rulers may however face the same fate as the Transitional National Government that was formed in Djibouti in 2000.

Next week, the 275 Somali parliamentarians still gathered outside the Kenyan capital are expected to elect a President; Somalia's first central leader since the 1991 fall of Dictator Mohammed Siad Barre. As soon as the presidential appointment is done with, the Kenyan hosts may finally open their hotels to paying guests after the two-year Somali peace conference. The new political leadership of Somalia is to return to Mogadishu.

The presidential vote however will not be easy as there are some 60 Somali presidential candidates. Most of them have a trouble past as warlords, fraction leaders and human rights violators.

The candidates include Hussein Farah Aideed, son of warlord Mohammed Farah Aideed, who leads a 15,000 strong militia controlling central and southern parts of Mogadishu. Mr Aideed holds great responsibility for the transitional government's failure to take control of the country.

Another prominent candidate with a big chance of being elected is Colonel Abdullahi Yusuf, the current of leader of the autonomous Puntland region in north-east Somalia. Colonel Yusuf, a long-lasting foe of Mr Aideed, is accused of several political murders, fierce guerrilla warfare and of using large amount to buy parliamentary votes for him while Puntland residents are suffering from drought and hunger.

Whoever is elected Somali President will have to trust in Mr Aideed, who is in military control of the parts of Mogadishu where the government is to reside. If Mr Aideed is elected President, his government rapidly may fall into the same trap as the transitional government formed in 2000; it only controlled the small part of Mogadishu where it was installed.

Warfare in Somalia will not automatically end with a new government uniting the country's main warlords. More than 20 warlords are still operating private armies that are frequently involved in clashes with other warlords that take part in the peace process. In addition, several warlords did not take part in the 22 August inauguration of the new Somali parliament.

The main warlord outside the Kenyan peace process is Mohammed Hersi, commonly known as General Morgan. This week, he launched a major offensive against southern Somalia's major port, Kismayo, the country's third largest city. Only today, General Morgan is reported to have given up the attack after the Jubba Valley Alliance - a regional armed group in control of Kismayo - had gained the upper hand.

The upcoming Somali government will in any case face large pockets of warlord-held territories within Somalia. The fragile alliance of clan leaders and other armed groups now united in the Somali parliament further has no guarantee of sticking together for a long time. It is not probable that warlords will let government take military control over their areas.

Finally, there remains the problem of the breakaway republic of Somaliland; a former British colony that unilaterally broke the 1960 union with former Italian Somalia after the 1991 fall of President Barre. Somaliland, which yet has to be recognised by any country, refused to participate in the Kenya talks as its does not consider itself party to the conflict. The peace talks' hosts thus appointed their own "representative" for what they call "north-west Somalia".

The future Somali government, therefore, is to represent also Somaliland internationally, to the great frustration of Somalilanders. Somaliland in international forums now officially becomes an internal Somali issue. A military conflict between Mogadishu and Hargeisa cannot be ruled out if the new Somali rulers aim at subduing Somaliland. There is still a long way to peace in Somalia.

By staff writer

© afrol News

Alhamdullilah:

I should be forced to pledge my alligence to our new goverment,

No Man should refuse the laws enacted on behalf of him or her and no Somali should refuse this goverment,

Show your arrogance somaliland supporters,

But that is because you have no idea that the leadership in somaliland will be forced to part of this goverment,

They shall be forced to be a roleplayer now, they have no chance against us while russia and china are backing the new somali goverment,

to all "somalilanders/somalis":

Stop your arrogance and reserch little bit more,

I have already found a Russian and chinnese goverment letters supporting the new goverment,

Go and document the fall of and arrogant one clan goverment,

no way jose this is gonna work! the resolution is simply but we all ignore it due to our blinding attachment to qabil...thinking that ppl like jose ( jusuf), lil caydiid and the likes are in it for the right reason!!

come on yall, they cant exist w/o their trumph cards aka good ale qabiil! all they know is divide and destroy! u have been a witness to their deeds and short comings! what esle do you need!..i.e., to make u a believer that they have nothing but same ole tired game they have learned from their mates like mr barre!!

times like this my sole cries and asks whatever happened to our educated bros/sistas! I mean nations depond on their educated ppl who can distinguish facade from reality! now i can understand disapora ones who all they know about beloved country, how to stick with their country cousin warlords and his dogs of distruction since these folks are their qabiil but nothing else! i dont really get surprised about their ways of preciption! coz brain wash can really make one see things in a whole new process! and i dont blame!!

i just cant never stand 4 nothing less than the whole somali nations under one nation!! insha allah one day!! peace yall smile.gif

But that is because you have no idea that the leadership in somaliland will be forced to part of this goverment

I wonder by who?

The leadership are there because of the will of the people. In Somaliland, politicians come and go. Rest assured, no leader will ever rule Somaliland without the concent of the people.

Somaliland = a people's wish and aspiration and not of politicians brainchild.

When people decide their destiny, it is very very hard to subjogate and root them out, specially by a fledgeling Somalia(Proper) exile government. A classic example of a people's strugle for freedom and the determination to selfrule can be drawn by today's global issues between Isreali and Palistine, the Chechyan and Russian, South Sudanese, the Saharawi issue and many others just to name but a few.

The result of such conflicts are always the same, it will take time but loved sons will perish, more precious blood will be spilt, more wealth and cities will be destroyed. But at the end of the day, the people will win.

Should Somalia's government engaged in a hostile relationship, we are fine with that, we are more than capable of defending our beloved land from all enemies. But we prefer and encourage for Somalia to think outside the box and act in proper, friendly and peaceful way.

Liqaye   

I didn't read your post, since they usually are repeatings of previous post with a lot of bullshit.

You will find that that is a very common occurence in SOL politics. ;)

That is the most biased article I have read to date.

What is with all that doom and gloom?

If there is any fighting it will be by north-westerners trying there fastest to cozy up to the legitimate and recognized goverment of somalia.

It is really not a big deal, a couple of years of peace, and a constructive , logical open-handed peace process with notheners coignizant of the attempted genocide that took place in the north is what is needed to bring the North-west into the fold.

The only people who want war are the fadhi ku dirir in the west, with their column inches in websites the overwhelming magiority of north-westerners don't read and would find amusing if they could.