Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

SOMALIA: No high school, no hope in Gedo : Thank you Barre Hiiraale , Barre JVA

SOMALIA: No high school, no hope in Gedo

08 Sep 2010 14:37:21 GMT

Source: IRIN

NAIROBI, 8 September 2010 (IRIN) - Primary school is a dead end for many children in Somalia, particularly in the southwestern Gedo region where many end up jobless, joining a militia, or emigrating.

Years of civil conflict, following decades of colonial neglect, have produced grim educational statistics: nationally, about one in five children of primary school age actually goes to school, according to the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF). Less than half go on to secondary school, an essential step for those wanting to attend university in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, or in the city of Kismayo.

Until an escalation in clashes between Islamist insurgents and Transitional Federal Government forces in 2009, a high school diploma opened doors in Somalia's burgeoning telecommunications and other business sectors.

The headmaster of the 500-pupil primary school in the Gedo town of Buur Dhuubo, 480km southwest of Mogadishu, is pessimistic.

"Some of them will finish primary school but they don't have a chance for secondary school here," said Abdi Haji.

In Gedo, a region with more than half a million inhabitants, there is only a single secondary school.

"Most of the boys will stay in the town, return to the countryside, migrate to countries such as Yemen [http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=87590] or join a militia," Haji said.

More and more children were dropping out because "they see the ones who have finished school idling on the street. It is unfortunate but after eight years they hit a dead end."

Job opportunities barely exist in Gedo, Haji noted, adding that many youngsters joined armed groups such as the TFG forces, Islamist insurgents or criminal gangs.

One civil society worker who deals with children told IRIN that children in Mogadishu were able to avoid recruiters because schools were more numerous and the city large enough to make encounters with recruiters less common.

"But in a place such as a small town in Gedo, if the child is not in school he would be a prime target for recruitment into armed groups," he said, asking not to be identified.

"Sometimes the children join these armed groups out of wanting to belong to something and they provide three meals a day," he added.

According to a UNICEF statement released in May 2010, "recent reports indicate that children as young as nine years of age are being used by multiple armed groups across Somalia, and that some schools are being used as recruitment centres".

Determined to learn

Despite the lack of opportunity, students in Gedo are keen to continue their education.

"I finished primary school [in Buur Dhuubo] in 2007 and up to now I can't go to secondary school," said Mohamed Farah Dahir, 17. Some of his friends have travelled to Yemen, others have joined militias.

"I have been approached by a militia but I told them I am going off to school in another town," he said.

Kheyro Muhumud Abdullahi's three children have completed primary school but are now idle.

"I don't want my boy to go to Yemen or join a militia or my two girls getting married at an early age," she said, adding that she could not afford to send them to school elsewhere.

Abdullahi said she was hoping "someone will build a school here, so I don't have to worry about my children".

Aden Abdullahi, in Luuq town, told IRIN the problem of uneducated youth is "killing our country".

"Without an educated youth Somalia will never recover," said the deputy head of Luuq primary school. "The choice is the pen or the gun. I want our youngsters to choose the pen and have a decent opportunity for a normal life," he added.

Barlin Mohamed Hashi, 18, completed primary school in 2006 and has been at home since then. "I am at home doing nothing; I am fighting off men who want to marry me."

But she was not ready to get married yet. "I want to continue with my education and become a gynaecologist," she told IRIN. There was a great need for doctors in her community, she said.

ah/am/mw

© IRIN. All rights reserved. More humanitarian news and analysis: http://www.IRINnews.org

This is a sad story. No hope of every achieving or having access to school in some of the largest regions of republic.

The community that live in those regions need to mobilise their energy and resources to building schools, hospitals and other positive development aspects rather than financing or supporting warlords.

Xudeedi   

Gedo’s problems don’t differ from those the rest of the country is facing. Poverty and lack of tangible development are indeed present, a common denominator that haunts the entire country. For real development to be commenced, we need international avenues such as the World Bank, Islamic Bank and Foreign Direct Investment.

For those whom never been there, Gedo is undeniably the land of beauty with a landscape mixed with breadth taking hills, mountains, plains and agricultural plots. The Jubba river criss-crosses in the middle of the region, thus feeding thousands of crop farms. The region hosts thriving centers including Baardheere, the second largest city west of Mogadishu next to Baydhabo. The city accounts for several hospitals, dozens of schools, a radio outlet (Markablay Radio) and a newly established university (University of Gedo).

^Gedo is a region and not city or perhaps you might have been talking about the city of Baardheere. Also the UN is reporting there are no high school in the region and you are teaching us about a University, salaadu xagee ka xirmi ladahay?

^^^lack of priority, Gedo by far is one of the poorest region of a very poor country. It lack man power and brain power to get the people basic services. This report should be a wake up call to those who waste their energy on the roadblcok merchants of Hiiraale, Taano type. The region needs development and a highschool should be the no1 priority right now.

Hales   

The site made untrue accounts to the social structure found in the region.

baraadhere, the largest city in the province of Gedo is home to 5 primary shools, 2 high schools and two higher education institutions.

University of Gedo and Bardera Polytechnic.

It also has two radio networks.

beled Hawo another large city maintains an international airport and schools.

Im sure the smaller cities are also relatively home to similar institutions.

Despite the lack of opportunity, students in Gedo are keen to continue their education.

"I finished primary school [in Buur Dhuubo] in 2007 and up to now I can't go to secondary school," said Mohamed Farah Dahir, 17. Some of his friends have travelled to Yemen, others have joined militias.

"I have been approached by a militia but I told them I am going off to school in another town," he said.

Kheyro Muhumud Abdullahi's three children have completed primary school but are now idle.

very sad indeed !!!!!!!!!!

Gallad   

Who ever wrote this article knew nothing about Gedo. There are more than 10 high school in Gedo, including Baladxaawo, Garbahaarey, Luuq, Baardheere. Baardheere alone there 3 high schools, 2 technical schools (Bardera Polytechnic College) , and 1 university, University of Gedo.

This statement is directly from www.Baardheer.com: Sanad dugsiyeedka 2009/2010 waxaa magaalada Baardheere ku yaal 5 dugsi hoose/dhexe iyo 3 dugsi sare. Sidoo kale waxaa Baardheere ay leedahay labo xarumood oo bixiya waxbarasho tacliin sare; Baardheere Polytechnic iyo University of Gedo.

This picture you see is an event outside of University of Gedo, Bardhere.

unv%20gf4.JPG

Gallad   

Duke: You should thank Barre... cuz I heard you were one of the lahayste in Kismayo. But I heard he treated you good, and knew you would remember him all the time and thank him one day. :D

Thankful   

Gallad, you’re kidding right? Your link is from Wikipedia.

Not only is IRIN reporting this but also UNICEF. Why would they make this up?

None of what you posted is reliable and I don't know why you are becoming so defensive. They are giving attention to a problem that is prevalent in Gedo.

Thankful   

Hiiraale and who else? We remember the mid-90s before Hiiraale had to make alliances, Morgan use to sit comfortably.

But then again, Morgan is your number 1 enemy!

Gallad   

Thankful: Dont beat about the bush! Hiiraale kicks your A for fun. :D

Not only Morgan, horey ayu uso liqey rag badan uu kamid yahay afugudud. :D:D

NASSIR   

Thanks to President Mohamed Siyad Barre for building roads and sea ports in Berbera and Bosaso.

It's NOT about Hirale's control of Kismayo over 8 years that led to the socio-economic problems in Gedo or most of Somali regions including Nugal and Mudug but for the lack of economic infrastructure.

The creation of Jubaland would sure have created a viable admin and political stability necessary for the economic growth of the region in our transition to a government of national union. That achievable goal, however, has been quite hampered or undermined by the long, intractable wars over the control of Kismayo among the hetregeneous tribes that settle in the area.

SL and PL are relatively in advantageous position because the residents of the said regions and their core leaders simply inherited the economic infrastructure left in tact by the last legitimate Government of Somalia and late Mohamed Siyad Barre, the last national leader Somalis had.