Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Sh. Sharif Arrives in Muqdisho

Thierry.   

Juje

Nicely put. But Mudane Johhny supporting the Djibouti peace caravan doesn't necessarily mean we should turn a blind eye to its short comings. The initiations of the caravan was a blessing and a better alternative to suicidal bombings and skirmishes against the occupations whose victims were none other than the subject to liberate, civilians.

Nevertheless the caravan has made turns one after the other deviating from its original objective of attaining the Ethiopian withdrawal peacefully and convincing the naysayers that it could be done without the mass loss of Somali civilians. However on the contrary the caravan has all of sudden turned from confincing factor to enforcing attributes. Its designers desire narrowed down to govermental posts rather than their apparent ambition in the begining to rid the country of Ethiopian occupation.

One clear evidence of this aspect is the objectives of their last agreed statement which the ink has not yet dried - the request to be accorded similar number of TFG parliamentarians in order to form a joint TFG parliament. Fair enough, disregarding their avarice one could not help notice their change of focus - from concentrating on the firm request for the withdrawal of the occupation to the desire of being within the entity that harbors on the Ethiopian occupation.

Not mentioning the fact that their latest unexpected ambition has catapulted President Yeey into the lime light. The latter until recently was lonely, outcast and out maneuvered in the Somali political World. But Yeey has found friends in previous foes within the TFG. Suddenly the caravan was playing to the tune liked by Yeey - inclusion into the TFG.

In simple words the caravan should have not ventured into the minefield of the TFG at this moment but rather should have concentrated more on the request of Ethiopian withdrawal and change would hgave eventually come as a result of it - but now we have the ARS Djibouti squabbling within over which group gets most seats in the new TFG parliament .

Certainly it was not a scenario which was envisaged but brought about by the deviation of the caravan.

Wrong analysis adeer the peace caravan is still the only universal solution to the Somali problem for it hit the nail when it said force cannot solve our problems but dialogue can. If it was up to you guys he would still be in Asmara towing Afwerki lines. When the Eritrean President refused to support the peace initiative on the notion that it was not in the interest of Eritrea to see the war stop Sh Sharif (not Sh Aweys or whoever is left in that city) was the one that left in order to pursue the interest of the Somali people. Many say why does he not wait until the TFG breaks apart the in fighting is already putting it into freefall, what a ridiculous statement to make by grown men, if I wasn’t kind with my words I would have thought many suffer from amnesia. Men who should know the consequences of anarchy are here calling for it, then again when their kids are tucked away safely and comfortably in London, Stockholm, Minnesota one has the luxury to utter what ever is on his mind.

Sheikh Sharif’s interest is in the Somali people that’s why he started the peace initiative, if working with the TFG and Yey in the spirit of bipartisanship is in the interest of Somalia he will pursue it, the rise and fall of Yey and the TFG is not his concern what he is concerned about is the effect it has on the people.

Ethiopia will withdraw nobody wants them here the question is of the methods to be used. 2 years of hard work by the Islamic fighters have benefited us in hurting the enemy even at the expense of the lives of our civilians, now they got the picture and let the wounded animal crawl back to his land.

At this juncture in the History of Somalia there is no man more accepted by the people than Sheikh Sharif, so be prepared to swear your allegiance when the day comes or enjoy diasporic life like the lost children of Israel

Thierry gets the big picture. Juje on the other hand misses it.

As good leaders do, Sharif is taking a risk. He’s keeping his eye on the big price that’s peace. What number of pms tfg should have is a mere detail. A workable compromise is what’s needed here. If the need be the details can be revisited. What’s not reversible is the approach Sh. Sharif spearheaded.

Caravankkii wuu dhaqaaqay walle..

Juje   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Wrong analysis adeer ..... At this juncture in the History of Somalia there is no man more accepted by the people than Sheikh Sharif, so be prepared to swear your allegiance when the day comes or enjoy diasporic life like the lost children of Israel

Wrong analysis ? How about misconception in your part. The peace caravan is a better alternative beyond any doubt. But is it on track or has it deviated that is the question I raise - I would much appreciate if you could answer that.

Sheikh Sharif of course is a well reputed character but his judgment on where he stirs this peace caravan will determine his future standing in Somali politics.

Thierry.   

No it hasn’t deviated however like all things it faces hurdles, the Ethiopian withdrawal is still one of the main aims but withdrawal comes with certain conditions, Mogadishu and surrounding cities are not stable the TFG they support is fragile not to mention the lack of man power AU forces have. I am of the opinion that if there was a secession of violence there would be a rapid withdrawal of Ethiopian forces, remember their main excuse is the TFG and AU need their help. So what should the Caravan do wait until Ethiopia blinks, like I said they would still be in Asmara if they followed your logic and we would not have what you already deemed the best solution out there.

In the murky waters of Somali politics for a man to be this deeply involved in all affairs and yet keep his hands untainted is a charestrisitcs we should admire and I am sure his caravan will be fruitfull.

With regards to size of parliament and the lack of equal representation amongst the clan these are minor problems that can be solved.

Does anybody know why he shaved the beard and what he is doing mogadishu and where is staying, who is paying for it, what will be his next move??

thiery and xiin come with the answers please.

Juje   

Thiery changing your direction and altering your tenets is not a hurdle it is a clear and apparent deviation.

The peace caravan was an alternative embarked on by Sheikh Sharif & co. - beyond any argumentative point it was an ideal and much needed stance considering that the armed resistance did not and could not achieve the withdrawal of the occupation, plus the fact it only increased the plight of the civilians.

However it was meant, or at lest was supposed to be, a tool of persuasion on those bearing arms - to convince them to support the caravan . Instead of harnessing more towards it - it is on the contrary sliding towards isolation and even loosing figure heads who vehemently supported it in the beginning.

Purely on the basis that the caravan has considerably diminished the importance of its primary request the time-table of Ethiopian withdrawal. It was on it in the first and second session of the peace-conference, at least verbally, but it never followed it up. What has followed to the suprise of many was the ARS request to be included in the TFG without the slightest fulfillment of its primary objective, the withdrawal.

Yes the number and form of division of the MP's is regardless - but the point you ignore and which is coil on the caravan's neck is this fact. To request the inclussion with TFG without the commencement, at least, of the primary objective speaks volumes sxb.

The notion that there will be power vacuum at the immediate withdrawal of the occupation coming from you or even from Sheikh Sharif is very cheap and oddly surprising.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Mashallah enter the dawn of the Sharifies
:D

He is our own Barak Obama

Young, charismatic, humble, natural born diplomat, agent of change from Qabyaalad, strong and wise

The man has been playing ball and has learnt from the lesson on late 2006. Has positioned himself well but now the daunting task of calming and getting some sort of agreement between the ever more malitias starts.

May he succeed IA.

Thierry.   

My main Norf you are spot on and may he succeed inshallah.

2009 will be a very exciting year and a year of change

Siilanyo, Nuuradin of Puntland, Sheikh Sharif along with Kimiko will inshallah sit together and bring forth solutions to the difficulties of the Horn.

Juje there is no deviation here one of the strategic goals of the ARS is to rid Somalia of Ethiopian soldiers again if you don’t like their methodology (secession of violence and they will walk out) then that’s your opinion. You will always find People opposition yet they don’t bring solutions to the table, the man took a strong stance for his people and I support it 100%. Like I said if it was up to you and the other naysayers he would be holed up in Asmara instead of walking in the streets of Mogadishu soon his command post inshallah.

Ps you can’t say the Ethiopians are still in the country and ignore the other key point in the agreement signed namely the secession of violence saxiib you can’t have your cake and eat it.

Sayid I cant help you with those question brother perhaps Xiin knows

Juje   

Thiery I think you have a problem recognising who the naysers are - all along since my discourse with you I have pointed out the importance of the caravanand how better alternative it was and is if better directed and used. Yet you categorise me as an nayser simply because I mentioned the word deviation.

Let me tell you this sxb I have been around quite a lot to notice the resemblance of previous reconciliations and this one, and I feel like as if am watching the same movie again.

Cessation of hostility you mention when the armed militias of the ICU who were fiercely loyal to Sheikh Sharif are alarmingly diminishing - who will he be asking to cease fire - AMISOM, Ethiopians or the TFG soldiers. Cause as it was evident today he has lost the backing or most of the ICU militias as they waged war on TFG Villa Somalia while he was in Mogadishu.

The authenticity of Sheikh Sharif as a decisive leader within the ICU has evaporated and thus questions whether he has the authority to at least issue an order of cease fire that will be applicable. Hence in view to this how will the peace we desire come along? The charisma of Sheikh Sharif is not under scrutiny in here but rather whether he can deliver or not.

In all sincerity I want him to succeed just to see the end of this senseless cycle of violence , but I don’t have faith in the process anymore , and I hope am wrong – but I certainly cannot delusion myself .

Think again - by sticking to the issue of standing firm with the request of immediate withdrawal of Ethiopians and refusing to proceed with the negotiations unless and until commitments and progress was made on that particular aspect the man would have had unimaginable higher status than he has now . Just by talking to the TFG some months ago Sheikh Sharif won the hearts and minds of many and should have build on that but asking for inclusion while the Ethiopians are sill there has really tainted the revered Sheikh.

^ Juje, it is understandable and as well as justifiable your take on Sharifka's peace wagon, however, I would like you if you dont mind to shed some lights on the link between Sharifka & Maxamed Dheere in post Carte Confrence that you earlier mentioned in one of your posts. This is the second time I hear sharif's connection with warlord M Dheere in the past. I would like to know what role Shariifka played being aid to M Dheere in those years and what was his role? Am just curious, sxb!

Thierry.   

Juje with sincerity you fail to see that there are two sides to a coin, the folks he is negotiating with say that they need the Ethiopian protection or else they will get swamped, your argument that Villa Somalia is being attacked makes his argument to proceed with the peace agreement irrespective of whether Ethiopia leave stronger. I am not defending Yey and his cahoots but can you guarantee their safety and role in Somali politics once the Amisom and Ethiopia walk out. Sh Sharif faced a dilemma (sign the peace agreement and loose support in your corner or wait in Asmara until Ethiopia walks out).

It is because he chose the former path that international community have found another option other than Yey, it is for this reason why Nur Cade stance has become the preferred choice of the international community, Amisom, Ethiopia and the MP’s.

Sh Sharif has a lot of work left he must win over those he lost in his camp, push for the Ethiopian withdrawal by calling for immediate replacement of other forces (As you know Amisom said they will also walk out if Ethiopia walks out).

Allamagan the man was a teacher in Jowhar a district formerly controlled by M Dheere.

Juje   

Thiery I think we are going around in circles in here...so I will leave it at what I think we have a concrete agreement on , which is ..which is we hope, we pray and wish that the caravan succeeds, Insha Allah..amiin!

Allamagan sxb Sharif was a staff to Maxamed Dhere and was an important tool in bringing peace and governance in Jowhar during Maxamed Dhere's reign. In Eldoret he was his of Dhere'e delegation...and that is a fact.