Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Colin Powell is a Slave ---- Harry Belafonte

0_21_200_belafonte_harry.jpg "Colin Powell is permitted to come into the house of the master, as long as he will serve the master according to the master's plans," Belafonte said. "And when Colin Powell dares suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture. And you don't hear much from those who live in the pasture." --- Harry Belafonte

-------------------

NEW YORK — Black politicians and pundits on Wednesday slammed Harry Belafonte for comments the calypso crooner made comparing Secretary of State Colin Powell to a house slave, and President Bush to his white "master."

"For Harry Belafonte to show his ignorance and lack of knowledge and to be used by liberals in the Democratic Party because they hate the support Bush is enjoying among blacks in this country, it's an insult to him and degrades him," said syndicated columnist Armstrong Williams. "It's almost laughable."

Belafonte made his comments about Powell on Tuesday, during an interview with San Diego radio station KFNB.

"Colin Powell is permitted to come into the house of the master, as long as he will serve the master according to the master's plans," Belafonte said. "And when Colin Powell dares suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture. And you don't hear much from those who live in the pasture."

Black Republicans were having none of it.

Outgoing Colorado Lt. Gov. Joe Rogers said Belafonte's sentiments aren't shared by most black Americans.

"Colin Powell is revered for the most part as the best of African-American achievements," said Rogers. "He is among the most admired, if not the most admired African-American in the United States. That fact that Harry may have his opinions doesn't mean they necessarily constitute the opinion of African-Americans throughout the country:"

Belafonte could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher made it clear the secretary of state wasn't taking the singer's comment seriously.

"He smiled when I talked about it," Boucher said at a press conference Wednesday. "He also said that both the IRS and his accountant thought he was better off as a field hand. When he was out in the field, he was doing a little better."

Dubbed the King of Calypso and known more for his sultry, soothing renditions of songs like "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)," "Island in the Sun" and "Jump in the Line," Belafonte was far from melodious when he blasted Powell, a fellow Jamaican-American, for joining the Bush administration.

"I think Colin Powell made a decision to serve the Republican party since he served that kind of an ideological leader," Belafonte said. "And I think that he's finding even the best of himself (is) having no room to be heard, because that's not the voice they want. What Colin Powell serves is to give the illusion that the Bush cabinet is a diverse cabinet made up of people of color and made up of people of another gender, and that that alone is to give Bush the credentials to say that he's a truly democratic man, when in fact none of that is what is true."

It wasn't clear if Belafonte was also referring to National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, a black woman.

"There's an old saying in the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived on the plantation and there were those slaves who lived in the house," Belafonte said. "You got the privilege of living in the house if you served the master to exactly the way the master intends to have you serve him."

The husky-voiced crooner also took aim at other Attorney General John Ashcroft, comparing the present-day Justice Department to the House of Un-American Activities under Sen. Joe McCarthy in the 1950s.

"To deny those rights to any citizen, to any people, is to cast a great shame on us and lead us back to another dark period," Belafonte said.

Belafonte has taken issue with the Bush administration and Powell in the past, criticizing the president for not sending Powell to last year's World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa.

In a speech to the National Association of Black Journalists in August 2001, the Harlem-born singer and actor dared Powell to upbraid his White House boss.

"'You've gone too far, Mr. Bush. You cannot walk away from a conference on race,'" Belafonte suggested Powell say to Bush. "'The world is being devoured by it; our children are being murdered by it.'"

Belafonte, accused by some music critics of singing an inauthentic, commercially mainstream version of traditional Caribbean music, has long been outspoken about his views of racism in the United States. He has said he turned down early acting roles in his career because "Broadway only had Uncle Tom parts for me."

Belafonte has been politically active throughout his life, acting as Peace Corps cultural advisor, chairman to the New York State Martin Luther King Jr., Commission and UNICEF Goodwill ambassador. [/i]

Ariadne   

what does the R in republican stand for Racist, what else Right wing, hmmm and lets see Rich ;) .

It is obvious that Colin Powell is a survived house slave from the days of slavery (at least the same way of thinking)

No doubt,Harry Belafonte stated his opioion, one that was pretty much shared by many people. I personally am not aware of the political issues at hand but i do come by-pass it whenever, but if i recall back Colin Powell was doing same amount of jobs as the "master's assistance"so why is he at targeted? Just because; he's the the only black-male political republican doesn't necessary mean he has to break loose; everyone has their opoioins and when you're an sectary of state, you by pass all that and go about your job..so once again; why should powell stand up to the bush admin when everyone else isn't doing much wheather it be at work,school, or simply speaking your thought to a friend?

Baydan   

Well I for one do not share Belefont's sentiments. Colin Powel is with the Bush administration that he is here to begin with means he shares atleast major part of this political party's ideology and what it stands for if not everything. Besides what voice against the president does a secratery of the state has? This is not matter of master and slave but rather being in the same level in the same boat.

I've caught part of his interview on Larry King Live, and I couldn't help but agree with all his points. He doesn't hate the guy, but only critized the policies he supports. Those same polices that enforce sanctions and abuse their power as the super power of the world. He definitely needs to open up his eyes to the after effects of foreign policies.

Macalin   

I saw him on larry king last night

And its sad to see a fellow blk man criticise another one.

Powell is strong and belafontes ignorance don mean none!

To some extent hes right tho, coz the bush admin is run by rumsfield and cheney and not even by Dubya!..so he has a note but he went a lil farr

To some extent hes right tho, coz the bush admin is run by rumsfield and cheney and not even by Dubya!..so he has a note but he went a lil farr

Dont u mean that dubya is run top down by The whity house icon_razz.gif

WingA   

the man is just doing hes job so leave it to that!! even bush is a slave!! do you honestly think he runs the show?? open ur eyes ppl and for that nigga to call another nigga slave?? its a JOKE!! there nuffin but puppets!!

peez..

OG Moti   

Collin power is a house nigga no doubt, why? because he works hard to please the Master, and what makes him a stupid house nigga is that he is on the line of fire, where he became the one who is making stupid remarks and threats that will never win him a political position in the future after the fall of his stupid master.. so do not tell me he is just doing his job cause a man in his position should think how to win the American people in case one day he might run for an office in the White house,

Why do they call it White house? so that no black dude will ever sit on its big office...

Changed   

Harry Belafonte nothing but a singer with an opinion a real politician would have come up with a better ways to insult someone........ Colin Powell is permitted to come into the house of the master, as long as he will serve the master according to the master's plans," Belafonte said. "And when Colin Powell dares suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture. And you don't hear much from those who live in the pasture." --- Harry Belafonte

that was the most dumbest comment to make about collin powel he is the only human with brains Bushes admistration...........