Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Peaceful sepration between Somaliland and Somalia is Alternative to war.

RedSea   

PEACEFUL SEPRATION BETWEEN SOMALILAND AND SOMALIA IS ALTERNATIVE TO WAR:

While many of the world press covered the on-going war in Mogadishu, an almost state of war was looming last week over Las-Anod, a disputed town between Somaliland Government and Puntland Administration of Somalia. Entirely un-noticed at the moment, the Las-Anod dispute could develop into Ethiopia-Eritrea kind of War between Somaliland and Somalia in the near future. Peaceful negotiation between Somaliland and Puntland could be an alternative to war over Las-Anod.

It was a Grand traditional ceremony in Las-Anod town, located nearly 500 km south of Hargeisa, capital of Somaliland, where a powerful traditional leader, Garad Jama Garad Ali, was crowned in front of a huge number of high rank politicians from Somaliland, Puntland and Somalia. The attendees held entirely different political views on the future of the Las-Anod town in particular, and the disputed Sool and Eastern Sanaag regions in general.

The event, although very much traditional, has attracted a huge number of politically diverse politicians, and made possible for the first time in more than a decade to bring them together inside Las-Anod town. The presence of such high profile politicians like the 2nd Deputy Speaker of Somaliland House of Representatives, dozens from the powerful Somaliland Kulmiye opposition party, as well as the former prime minister of late Somalia Transitional Government, Mr. Ali Khalif Galaid, was not easily comfortable to the Puntland interior Minister, Mr. M. Xaab-sade, who was the main organizer from the Puntland Administration. The President and the Vice president of Puntland were both present in the ceremony.

Though most of the officials have now left the town, they left behind an important message; war between Somaliland and Somalia (puntland) Administrations is inevitable in the near future over Las-Anod town. â€No body else can put a flag on Las-Anod, but we should look for peaceful resolution.†said the Puntland President, Mr. Adde Muse, in the ceremony.

Three divisions from the Somaliland Army had already being deployed in Adhi-Addeye, just 23 km west of Las-anod town and have been there now for two years. "We are free and will remain so," said the Somaliland president, Dahir Riyale Kahin, last year. "My country will not talk to Somalia about unity, but we may talk about being good neighbours." He warned.

Puntland Administration, on their side, maintains strongly armed militias mainly in and around Las-Anod town. In the case of war, the population of Las-Anod will, therefore, face extremely precarious humanitarian crisis. The majority of the population, estimated as 35,000, will be forced into displacement inside or outside both regions. Most of the suffering will be faced by the innocent women and children in Las-Anod town.

There are strong excuses for both administrations in a war over Las-Anod; Somaliland is defending itself within its own international borders including mainly Sool region, and part of Eastern Sanaag inhabited by ***** Sub-Clan. Puntland, with the green light from the President of Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government (STFG), Mr. Abdullah Yusus, on the other hand, is defending Somalia’s territorial integrity at one point, and at the sametime, fighting for preventing the break-up of ***** / ****** clan territory between Somalia and internationally recognized Somaliland. Somaliland is currently better equipped militarily and economically than Puntland administration. But nevertheless, Puntland will certainly seek military and logistic support from the Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government in Baidoa.

Can this potential conflict be avoided in a region already troubled with mass refugees, internal displacement and frequent droughts?

Some observers say that, the Africa Union should intervene in before the situation gets worse, warns International Crisis Group (ICG) – a world think-thank security agency in a recent report. Some African countries, including South Africa and Ethiopia, are sympathetic to Somaliland's claim for international recognition, but reluctant to cause a diplomatic reckon, ICG added. Western nations are even more cautious until, perhaps, the outstanding Las-Anod issue is peacefully resolved. The African Union (AU), suggested by International Crisis Group, needs to engage in preventive diplomacy now, laying the groundwork for resolution of the dispute before it becomes a confrontation from which either side views violence as the only exit.

But will the African Union have the capacity to do so. Past experience shows that the AU has got neither the necessary expertise nor the muscle to intervene the Somali political affairs up to that level. The International Crisis Group also suggested for the AU to undertake extensive consultative process among the various political stakeholders and meantime grant Somaliland an observer status in the Union so that Somaliland could raise its demands more officially to member countries. This is extremely important and necessary for Somaliland at this moment. But without peaceful settlement of Las-Anod issue, however, there is a little chance to avert possible war in the region. Both administrations may postpone a potential conflict over Las-Anod for one to two years. “The dispute between Somaliland and Somalia will become an ever-increasing source of friction, and possibly violenceâ€, warns ICG experts.

I suggest it is a negotiated separation and peaceful settlement of the dispute in Sool region and Las-Anod town that could essentially lead to permanent peace and stability in the whole region. Early negotiations on the disputed territory between Somaliland and Puntland Authorities can potentially defuse the political situation in the entire region. It is also possible for peaceful separation and co-existence of two independent Somali states in the Horn of Africa. Without this, the dispute between Somaliland and Puntland could develop at any moment to potential conflict similar to that between Ethiopia and Eritrea prior to their 1998-2000 border war. The war on Las-Anod is not going to be like the relatively smaller scale war that South Somalis have seen for the last decade. But it is going to be tough and extremely threatening to the stability in the entire Horn of Africa region, since most of the regional governments are also forced to playing their role in the conflict.

Both Somaliland and Puntland must be urged to do everything possible to avoid war in the region. The so called front-line states, notably Ethiopia and Yemen could play significant role to prevent possible territorial war between Somaliland and Puntland. Recent attempts to bring into the discussion table between Somaliland and Puntland Presidents in San’a and later on in Addis-Ababa for negotiated separation and peaceful settlement of border dispute should be further encouraged. But the initial efforts for peaceful settlement of the dispute must be supported by the People in both regions and must come from both Somaliland as well as Puntland authority.

As pointed out earlier, a peaceful separation between Somaliland and Somalia is now possible given the recent political developments in both Somaliland and Puntland. Somaliland Government should further be encouraged to peruse peaceful settlement of the dispute in Sool region vis-à-vis Puntland Authorities as an alternative to war. The African Union should pursue diplomatic efforts for a peaceful separation between Somaliland and Somalia.

The Africa Union may opt using its political influence through Presidents of Ethiopia and Yemen, who both have got high level of political interest in the Somali affairs in the region, to arrange fact-to-face negotiation between Somaliland President, Mr. Dahir Rayale, and Puntland President, Mr. Adde Muse.

Are two peaceful Somali states in the Horn of Africa possible? It is economically and politically feasible. Peace and stability in the region are among the top fundamental priorities of both Somaliland and Puntland leaders. Both Somaliland and Puntland must be urged to do everything possible to avoid war in the region. The Somaliland Government should be encouraged to peacefully resolve the crisis in Sool region and initiate strong commitment for roundtable discussions on peaceful separation between Somaliland and Somalia with Puntland Authorities as early as possible.

We should note that the lack of international investment in the region is a pressing problem in both Somaliland and Puntland development efforts. As the oil prices jumped to the highest levels since 1970s, international oil companies are closely assessing the political stability in the region for exploration of possible oil reserves in both Somaliland and Puntland. Due to the territorial dispute between Somaliland and Puntland, however, no foreign company is currently willing to step in to examine the numerous oil fields in both regions for the development of its people in both administrations. Without adequate security and international recognition, both Somaliland and Puntland will have to suffer from poverty, ignorance and hunger for generations to come.

"Who wants to invest in a country that is not internationally recognized?" asked Mr Awil, the Somaliland Finance minister in a recent interview with a foreign journalist. "No one: it is too risky. That's what is really holding us back." Mr. Awil concluded. The Puntland President, Mr. Adde Musse, has also pointed out the lack of security as the main problem facing his administration’s ambitious development plans. “Whenever we tray to explore the natural resource of the region for the creation of employment and development, some people initiate a trouble†He said in his speech at the Grand Ceremony in Las-Anod.

The newly crowned Garad Jama Garad Ali may also be urged to initiate a peace process between Somaliland and Puntland for the good of his people in Sool in general and Las-Anod town in particular. Before uniting Somalis, let me remind the Garad to represent and speak on behalf of his desperate people, whom are caught in potential conflict at home. If the new Garad puts all his efforts to the resolution of Las-Anod crisis, I am sure; he will be remembered as a man of Peace for generations to come.

I believe it is the time we should extend our wholehearted support for a negotiated and peaceful separation as an alternative to war between Somaliland and Somalia, and, therefore, live in peaceful neighbours in the troubled Horn of Africa region.

Dr. Abdulkadir Askar, Member of Somaliland House of Representative, Elected from Sool region.

Comments are welcome. Send your e-mail at: askar211@yahoo.com

SOO MAAL   

The whole problem of Sool Crisis, and the conflict between Somaliland and Puntland is caused by traitors like Askar who have cheated their own people for not representing their constituencies but favored their pocket. Shame on them

Askar is another irrational, because he doesn't seem he knows what he is talking about? He seems confused!!

Somaalidu waxey ku maahmaahdaa “Banaankiisa mare maradiisa geed ma qabsadoâ€

I would to suggest to Somali regions, that if they want peace they must give peace to their fellow and neighboring Somali regions. The sayid said 102 years ago “All you can get from me is war, nothing else. If you want peace I also content. But if you want peace, go from my country to your own,†Sayid Mohamed Abdulla, 1904

Peace will not come by sticking to colonial borders as if we are still in colonial era, however, Somali people can only enjoy peace when they give peace to fellow Somali people. Alternative to war is to give peace and respect the wishes of the people of northwest, north central, and northeast.

The newly crowned Garad Jama Garad Ali may also be urged to initiate a peace process between Somaliland and Puntland for the good of his people in Sool in general and Las-Anod town in particular. Before uniting Somalis, let me remind the Garad to represent and speak on behalf of his
desperate people
, whom are caught in potential conflict at home.

Now, "desperate people" is not a phrase you should use to describe your honorable hosts who welcomed you into Las Anod with open arms and in the spirit of Soomaaliwayn.

Some people just ain't grateful.

In the case of war, the population of Las-Anod will, therefore, face extremely precarious humanitarian crisis. The majority of the population, estimated as
, will be forced into displacement inside or outside both regions. Most of the suffering will be faced by the innocent women and children in
Las-Anod town

I wondered why he refered to Las Anod as a "town," but his population estimate explained it. 35,000? Whatever makes you sleep better at night, I guess.

The war
on
Las-Anod is not going to be like the
relatively smaller scale
war that South Somalis have seen for the last decade.

Interesting use of language. "The war on Las Anod..." This man must have balls the size of Texas behind the safety of his computer screen. I don't see a war "on" Las Anod - I see Somali people living peacefully and hosting fellow nationals from all five sides of our expansive land. And what the hell was so "smaller scale" about the wars in southern Somalia since the '90s?

Somaliland is currently better equipped militarily and economically than Puntland administration. But nevertheless, Puntland will certainly
seek
military and logistic support from the Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government in Baidoa.

Sure. Somaliland is better than everyone else militarily and economically. The Ethiopia-Eritrea comparison was way off the mark. How can you compare war between two heavily-armed national militaries and war between two of Somalia's clan militias (a war "on" Las Anod by SNM militias will automatically be considered a clan war of aggression)?

Anyways, if I remember correctly, PL donated militias and battlewagons to the TFG in Baydhabo as part of Somali "national" army. Yet, the SL super army still can't pass the political and military roadblock at Adhicadeeye and the blue-and-white flag of Somalia rises in Las Anod.

Reality on the ground.

I consider this a "niyada isku dhisa" article to boost the morale of the diehard fans. Perhaps its the break they need from the ongoing Guurti term-extension dilemma and other recent developments. With all that's going on, today is the day to defend "Somaliland."

^^^ Nicely put Codetalker. The author seems to be playing to the usual suspects in the secesionist camps.

I am suprised that he wrotte such an article now, it is quite dated..

Qudhac   

wether in war or peace somaliland will provail, as it has done in the past this puntland/lascanood feildom is local politics and not very relevant in the long term, so somaliland will be patient with this local immitator of puntland, sool is neighter here nor there it has never been a place to lose alot of eneregy on so somaliland is right putting it to the back burner.

i personally believe it is innevetable that that somaliland and and somalia (of some sort) will clash in the future and i also believe it is not bad thing, because wars tend to end stalemates and allow people to start new chapter.

Paragon   

However confounding this may sound, I cannot bring myself to accept that one man can tell what the other should do. Something gotta give. Although I have never indulged in discusions between Somalia/Somaliland, I have this feeling in my gut that we (and I believe I subscribe to the 'we' of Somaliweyn), are not very rational in our claims. We have so far raised questions about the jusfiability of Somaliland's existence, yet, I am certainly sure, it would feel awkward if the same questions of existential nature are raised about our Somaliness altogether. Self-releflection of the treatment towards Somaliland should reveal that while we are delving in naivette, Somaliland is also doing the same thing. Somaliland has some questions concerning territorial integrity to answer, and if the leaders of Somaliland are rational enough, they can answer these outstanding questions. What is needed here are concessions. We must concede to the truth sooner than later. Both parties should concede to the existence of a God-given right for peoples to manage their affairs and territories. Force doesn't yield to fruition in this inter-Somali issue; if it did, 15 years of civil war would have left us with fields of plenty to reap. We know this wasnt the case. However, choices, my friends, independent and voluntary choices are the key to long-lasting peace and good neighbourliness. If Somaliland goes its own way, then Somaliweyneey, what is wrong with that? If regions within the former British Somaliland map want to go their own way from Somaliland, then Somalilanders, what is wrong with that? Nothing at all.

Castro   

^ Here's a fitting quote to what you just penned:

"... since you advocate two immoral issues against Somalia advocate for the partition of brotherly Muslim Somali people and war against North-Central Somalia (Sool Sanaag and Cayn) to include and occupy by northwest Somalia (Somaliland) to revisit the gloomy colonial history, you promote a fitnah, Allah (SWT) said “Al Fitnah is greater than murder.†[EMQ 2:217]"

Author (purposely kept) anonymous

Paragon   

The above quote smells of instrumental reason and religiosity. There was nothing Muslim about the voluntary willingness and motivation that culminated in the unity of Somalis in the first place; people were Muslim but the unity had everything to do with nationalism. The flag waving and the nationalistic chants went this way: Soomaaliyeey toosoo, toosoo isku tiirsada e . The chant wasn't saying: Muslinoow toosoo, toosoo isku tiirsada e, if that was so then I would accept the argument. Buw now the above quote is utterly nonsensical and irrelevant.

More to the point, does Islam tell us to subjugate Muslim peoples in any manner that is pleasing to us and harmful to them? Better still, has Islam made moral judgement the prerogative or the province of a selected and self-interested group? I am afraid, NO. It is fairness that Islam is associated and that fairness has universal applicability.

Castro   

^ You didn't think it fit either, eh? I thought you wouldn't and I agree with you. This has been my position on Somaliland for a number of years now.

^^^ Nothing emotive about facing facts, we must be able to call out a spade when we see it. Somaliland is and has been part of the Somali state since 1960, the myth of its uniqueness and the argument that it is not based on clan is irational.

The secesionist have no control of the mythical British Somaliland, they have no outside support and have yet come to terms with the failure to get that panacea of all their ills "recognition".

It is because of their many shortcomings and due to the realities on the ground that no nation on earth recognises this "right" of theirs to be a nation on their own and not a state in an already exisiting but troubled nation.

My sympathies to the secesionists...

Duufaan   

Strange letter! the letter is not necessary written by somebody from Laascaanood. It has the signature of extrem secessionist. He betray Sool region insignificant, very far from Hargeysa in one hand and one point very important place worth scarifying lot of blood. However it is first time the secessionist are taking about peace, although they offer here a peace with condition of separation.

We can conclude that the secessionist are either realized their short coming. they are isolated and could not get recognition . Or secessionist are worry about the potential of Baydhabo Government. I said both, the secessionist are signaling to say something but do not really come from yet. They are making first contact through Laascaanood and it is natural

I hope more Somalis become less emotive and see things clearly.

Jamaal, true nationalists aren't against kala jarida Soomaaliya because as a result of emotion iyo wixii lamid ah. Maya. No. The majority dadka waxee ugu soo horjeedaan kala gooynta dalkeena suuban for one reason: Hadee baxdo Waqooyi Galbeed, ha is weydiini Waqooyi Bari ayaa ku xigi doonto.

Waqooyi Bari hadee baxdana ha is weydiinin inay ku xigi doonaan gobol walba meeshaa ahaata laga goynaayo intii laga gaaraayo heer tuulo walba ku dhawaaqdo gooni isku taag.

Xataa maanta Waqooyi Galbeed iyadoo meelba gaarin gobolka Awdal kuwii kasoo horjeedo gala go'a dalka ka ahayn, kuwa kale qaarkood oo dego isla gobolkaas ayaa ku haayo "Awdal Republic."

Hadaanan la isku heynin Soomaali, oo Soomaalinimo wadaagin, oo iskaashi iyo midnimo socon, wax soconaayo maleh.

Koonfur wax la dhaho ma jirto hadee Soomaalinimo socon weysay, markaas Koonfurnimana ma soconeyso maxaa yeelay Koonfurta wey ka weyn tahay, wey ka dad badan tahay iyo ka diversity duwan tahay labada Waqooyiba -- intaasba Soomaalinimo ayaa isku heyso, hadee Soomaalinimadii meesha ka baxday oo qanciska laga soo bilaabo Waqooyi Galbeed iyo Waqooyi Bari haloo dhaafo danahooda iyagaa yaqaano, ee marka maxaa ka reebaayo gobol, degmo iyo tuulo walba inay danahooda iyo aayahooda ka tashadaan oo ay madax banaadaan; maxaa ka reebi doono markaas tuuladii iyo degmadii damacdaba waxee doonto haku fasho, xataa haku dawaaqaan gooni isku taag.

Hadee kor soo burburto, haduu madaxii burburo, ha is weydiin inay hoosna burbureyso, oo jirka intiisa kale baabi doono, sabab lagu celiyo ma jiri doonto kuwa hoose hadii kuwii koreba la dhahay haloo daayo waxee damceen.

Either Soomaali as a nation we know waa burburi doontaa, dhalineyso countless competing qabiilistan nation states kasoo baxaayo, used against one another by Amxaaro iyo cadoowgeyna kale, or either waa isla jiri doonaan, iyagoo hal wadajir ah. Meel sadexaad looga baxo ma jirto. Only these two choices.

Dadka wadaniga indheergaradka ah waxaas ayee arkaan soo socdo, not 'emotion' iyo wax lamid ah haayo.

Paragon   

^^^ waxaasi oo dhami waa faataadhug aan fiiro dheer ku dhisnayn. Waddanbaa kala go'aya xaq looma baajin kayaro sxb. Waddaninimada shaqsiga waxaay ka soo askuntaa xadaarad dalleed iyo calool fiyoobi dadweynuhu wadaagaan; marse hadii nin waliba kan kale uu cadaawad uur ugu hayo, waddaninimo la sheego oo astunkimi kareysaa warkeeda daa. Been iyo is-marin habaabin ayuu nala damacsan yahay ninkii waddani iyo indheer-garadnimo isku sheega ee aanan INDHIHIISU arkeynin xaqiiqda dalka ka jirta. Xaqiiqda dalka iyo dadka kala dhex taagan ayaa waxey tahay in shaki iyo is-aamin la'aan jirto oo uu nin waliba DAN-tiisa u heegan yahay. Marka Macruufoow, hadii waddaninimada iyo indheergaradnimada aad ku sheegtey dadyowga qaarkii tahay in shaqsiga Soomaaliga ah lagu SANDULLEEYO in uu Soomaalinimo u adeego inkastoo ay u darantahay danahiisa khaas amba guud; Soomaalinimo waa Muquunis iyo Amar-ku-taaglayn aad shacabka la dooneeysid. Qofkii horey ugu soo faaidey amba mustaqbalka si toos ah ooga faaidi doona Soomaalinimo, ayaa u ololayn doona. Dadka intiisa badan dhibaatooyin tira badan ayaa haysta, waana dhibaatooyin aanan muruq iyo taag Soomaalinimo lagu xallin karayn, ee sidaa maanka ku hay.

Hadii gobolada Soomaalida kala googo' damaaciyaan, oo ay yiraahdaan inagu ma dooneyno ka mid ahaanshaha Soomaaliya, waxaay cadeeyneysaa niyad-jabka ay ka qabaan Soomaaliya hagaageeda iyo waxtarkeedaba. Marka intii dad qasab lagu celcelin lahaa, soo kama haboonaana in makra hore laga wareysto waxa ku sababay ineey doonaan kala go', si loo xaliyo dhaliillaha ay ka cabanayaan? Soomaalinimada aad hada nagu camcamineyso waa mid aanan rajo yeelan doonin illaa ay Soomaalida oo dhan la raalli geliyo, kuna heeshiiyaan in ay ku midoobaan magaca Soomaalinimo. Adiga Miskiinoow, waxaad isla markii ku boodey fooq sare, na tirina Soomaali baan ahay, dadkuna dookh ay ay wixii u roon ku go'aansadaan ma haystaan! Waxaan 16-kii sanno ee laga soo gudbey ku dirireyney arrinkaa, in dadka laga inkiro xaqqa ey leeyihiin.

Dadka waddani isku sheegga ah ayaa ka indha la' dhibaatooyinka mustaqbalka hore ka iman kara dadka la maquuniyo sxb. You can't force anyone into a union he/she isn't happy with. The so-called fake nationalists you refer to are simpletons and they are more likely to preach the very thing that would spell discontent between fellow Somalis in the future. For a strong union and bond of nationalism to exist, people must create this bond of nationalism, and also they MUST and this is a MUST, get the feeling that their taking part of the union is the result of the FREE CHOICE and WILL. Thus, in testing whether they really are free to make their own choices based on free will, they will demand autonomy, independence and devolved power. For a while they may remain separate entities, however, they are most likely to enter into a nationalistic bond with the rest of the Somalis. If history teaches us anything, it must teach us to study how Somalis in the for British Somaliland volunteered to join hands with their brethren in the South. They were not forced, but they made their own choice. Unfortunately the empty heads of the so-called nationalists are repaying this act of good-heartedness with ill-treatment.

Somalia wey kala go'eysaa is not a pretty cry, wuxuu Illaah hal meel ka dhigo unbaa hal meel ahaada sxbyaal. However much we cry foul and say the country will disintegrate, our cries would deal with the real issues that need our attention: understaning not how the country is breaking up but WHY! If you ask me (and I know many of you will critisize me for it), I would prefer if the country is broken up into all the pieces possible, and only then tried to acknowledge the rights of every entity to have every small group represented and then sign treaties between all entities as equals and appreciated by the law. The willingness and voluntary love for that kind of Somalia where everyone is seen as an important and cherished citizen can all these shadowy nationalisms drived by simpletons be done away with.

Paragon’s idea of achieving territorial integrity and political unity: let Somalia break up into small pieces, and perpetually at that, then acknowledge the rights of grieving parties.

Xiin’s first reaction: that’s very disturbing and dangerous proposition.

But before I show how unworkable your plan is, not to mention its moral bankruptcy, let me ask you this: where would the dismemberment of this wounded nation stop? Somaliland? Puntland? Riverland? Where and Why, saaxiib?