Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

The political reality in our homeland

Any scientific or technological discussion can be settled by referring to scientific truth. More often than not these questions are resolved using an agreed upon method, and any uncertain subject hangs ripe for the next revolution in thought.

What about political reality? By what method do we use to come to political truth? From Abdiqaasim to Riyaale to Yusuf Yeey to the very folks I thought respectable (Aadan Cadde), the nomads seem to be submerged in this boundless debate of who killed who, who is a warlord, and who is a puppet for whom.

Whose account do we deem authentic considering the best part of the populace is biased by hook or by crook?

What are your thoughts?

Baashi   

Lion-teaser Jr.,

There is no “truth” in politics in general. There are conservatives, nationalist, liberals, Islamists, etc and in turn they have agendas to advance, goals to reach be that economic, social, or host of other policies. These groupings operate within the rules of engagement even though their world outlook is different. Ours is different. There is no political parties with defined political agendas (within SL is an exception) but SL, PL, reer Hebel, etc. We are in a perpetual semi-anarchy with the exception of the shaky “recovery zones”. Might, guns, and foreign friends can get you on the table.

Now, nomads who are active participants in politics section reflect the mood and political climate of their respective hometowns. The political reality and actuality on the ground is filtered through BBC, Allpuntland, Hiiraan, Jamhuuriya, Arlaadinet, etc and other biased media outlet. None of us here, I think, has a bird's eye view on the big picture of what’s happening back there.

Nevertheless, some nomads take the news posted on these outlets in its face value which leads to a heated debate if and when these innuendos and half-truths are refuted or questioned. Every group puts spin on their failures, showcase their progress, and promote their leaders. To them they speak nothing but the whole truth when they post these propagandas for their region. My suggestion to you is let’s not talk about this subjective “truth”, for it has different meaning to the concerned nomads. It is their opinion and I for one can live with that.

I find the debate on the topics such us federalism, secession and separatism, “Somali-weyn”, etc. very interesting. Sometimes it gets emotional and that should be expected from the nomads whose versions of history or political/tribal persuasion have never been refuted.

“From Abdiqaasim to Riyaale to Yusuf Yeey to the very folks” you “thought were respectable(Aadan Cadde)” are all fallible men. They have history - a long one. With exception of Aadan Cadde, none of the current leaders have economic, national, or for that matter political policy that I can put my finger on. They are all engaged in the art of “political expedience” and “coalition of convenience”. They have perfected the art of tribalism. Yet, I don’t blame ‘them’ per se! They are in unprecedented power play at the regional (IGAD) stage. Negative tribalism is the only winning ticket at this stage of Somali politics. It is wrong yet that is the real “truth” (my take at least).

That’s my input for now!

Lion-Teaser? I thought Libax-Sankataabte meant 'lion-nose toucher.' But 'Lion-Teaser' sounds better!

SXB - I think BAASHI said it best. These so-called leaders who control fiefdoms within the Somali Peninsula, as Bashi puts it, "have perfected the art of tribalism." They know which arm to twist so the the mouth makes a certain noise. Information outlets are mostly biased on the Net. However, I do believe Hiiraan Online provides a balance of equations as far as Somali news.

Political Truth: Somalia holds the Guiness World Record of being delved in anarchy longer than any other nation in contemporary history.

Political Truth: Being Somali has become synonomous with being a refugee. Sad!

Political Truth: The Somali civil war has shifted from direct tribal conflict to political gain utilizing tribal support.

Political Truth: There's no end in sight. Each region/tribe is better off taking care of itself, first and foremost, then worry about greater Somalia.

Truth is we're all biased in one way or another. You'll see a thread about the socio-economic growth of a particular Somali region that will bring a smile to your face, just to know that Somali people are doing well for themselves. Then the next lost soul will try to devalue the true meeting of such stats or compare/contrast to his/her own region/tribal affliation. And for what? The childish notion of 'my tribe is better than yours!'

Political Truth: Somalia, and therein Somalis, are still infants in politics. Let's hope we all mature and realize the effects of our past actions!

LANDER   

LBX,

very interesting topic saxib, I wish I had more time to elaborate on some of the ideas I'm about to touch on. Political truth is indeed a tough matter to grasp since politics in itself is a sort of subjective science. In my opinion, we often indulge in politics whitout having a clear understanding or reasoning of what values in our personnal beliefs are more important than others.

Therefore the root of the problem is that we don't reflect philosophically on universal questions that extend beyond politics and that could apply to our everyday lives. Those of us who might have done that every now and than, often don't live by the conclusions they stumble on by those reflections. As soon as superficial things such as regional origin, or maybe even the flag that waves in my avitar come to peoples attention, they tend to start drawing narrowminded conclusions even before the exchange of ideas can begin. Hopefully in my next post I'll have time to elaborate more on exactly what universal concepts I eluded to, but for now I would like to ask the participants one of those questions. Unity/solidarity vs.progress

Does one of these two concepts takes precedence over the other? why or why not? It is obvious the two concepts can co-exist, but ceterus paribus (holding all other factors constant) if one had to be choosen over the other, which would it be? and why so?

Samafal   

There is no political reality in Somali simply because it is a place chaos rules. If you study the Somali politics you will find out that there no one part which holds certain ideological thinking that they differ from the others. Apparently people who don’t know what is politcs and how to conduct country’s affairs rule Somalia, the reason they got on the position they are in now borne out from the very chaotic situation the country is in. Sadly the rest of the society who you would think can reverse the situation become followers of the blind. To prove this you don’t need to go far just look the politics forum in this very site, mind you most of the regulars are educated young men!!!!!!!!.

Instead of looking for solution beyond warlords and anarchist very people you would have hope on disappoint you prematurely in every aspect of the Somali politics. They base their thought on the interest of their tribe and their given leader.

We need to see the bigger picture that benefits us all Somalis. The bigger picture is peaceful, prosperous Somalia no matter who is the man on the top job. The bigger picture is Somalia you can do business everywhere without fearing for your life. The bigger picture is seeing your children growing up and having the basic life they deserve in their own homeland. Do you think the foreign person in the street knows who is from where when he sees a picture of malnutrition, dying Somali child on Television? No he wouldn’t and simply he wouldn’t care what village he/she is from, for him it is same sides of a same coin. That alone should teach us not to point fingers on each other because we feel better than others: we are all somali maryooley, poorest of the poor, loughing stock of the world. When are we gona wake up and smell the coffee?

Matkey   

I can’t understand the term "politics" in such way that suits our current situation. For this reason it is beyond my limited comprehension to use the term (politics) when discussing somali political reality which mainly finds its roots in qabiil. Honestly i can’t exemplify political reality of Somalia, and in attempt to do so will not provide comprehensible answer upon which we all agree, reason being it is inevitable to resist or escape from the impetus to tribal discourse, which is entrenched in our mode of thinking. In other words it is our natural inclination to construct such political ideas which is principally based on qabiil, and this has been our natural condition. Despite today’s educated young men/women, the tribal line of thought is still prevalent in this forum.

Many political and social thinkers had exhausted their mind in attempt to find a solution for social problems that existed in their respective societies. Each one believed that his theoretical ethics is indispensable for any society that is in a need of preservation ot its existence, thus their main concern was how society ought to be. Now, the basic definition of politics in essence should reflect on how society ought to be, how it should be governed, and through which methods or principles are the best depending on societal makeup. These thinkers also differed on their ideas of which group (aristocrats, theocrats, scientists, monarchies and so on) is capable of becoming a good political leaders. Do we think our today's reality bear any relation to the political objectives of other socities? I have nothing to add to discusion, but i am very confused fellow when it come to this topic. I think i should sit back and let others, with immense understanding of this topic, answer the above question.

CIID WANAAGSAN

Gabbal   

Once again we all place Qabiil as the never ending cause of all the mayhem and anarchy that is continually plauging our country, and rightfully so ilmo adeeryaal. But the truth of the matter is the political reality in our homeland is not a political reality, but as well as a cultural and social reality. Our people are immersed with an obsession of their genealogical line of descent. Is anything wrong with loving and being proud of your ancestry? Of course not! But the trouble starts when that pride nears a point of feeling supperior to your Somali peer, and hence the word nasab takes evil root in everyday Somali affairs. For Somalia to become a prosperous and peaceful nation, and for the warlords to loose all support, I believe a cultural revolution must take effect. Only then will we have a true political reality in the eastern peninsula of the Horn of Africa.

TIIMBARO   

Aside from HORN, everyone else blames tribalism for the ruins of our homeland. I have yet to see people presenting different stances on the shortcomings of our 'political process', if I can call it that. Tribalism was always there and our people used it for identification purposes. If we attributed all the problems to tribalism, we will be over simplifying the problem and we will be doing ourselves disservice. Tribalism is an instrument a desperate ‘politicians’ resorted to and the unfortunate thing is many of our people bought it. It seems tribe is a sole ideological victim. Endless conferences (fourteen in total) have proved to be fruitless because our ‘political leaders’ don’t seem to have adequate political ability to solve the problems at hand. Many factors can be cited for the political instability in that country. One thing I wish people in Somalia would learn is to work collectively, instead of seeing everyone as a potential enemy. Paranoia has greatly crippled our quest for a peace, to say the least.

I can only sum it up in two words, in which Dr. Ismaciil Ibrahim Axmed said during the BBC debate on the Recognition of Somaliland that was aired recently. Those two words are Political Amnesia. If you don't correct the wrongs of the past, you will never get anywhere. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Warmoog   

It's been argued that 'truth' is subjective, but I have to disagree. I don't believe it to be a subjective concept because I think - regardless of how many differing arguments are raised - pure or unquestionable truth exists. The fact that we aren't always able to grasp it doesn't make it any less real. I think what remain subjective are people's interpretations of it or what they consider 'truth' which may or may not be accurate, in accordance with pure truth. But the search for truth (political or otherwise) isn't extraordinarily difficult. In reality, we don't need to look far for pure truth because it was given to us in the form of the Qur'an.

If you consider the major plagues of Somali society, you notice they're cultural fabrications invented and kept in place by us. You could say they're related to a lack of truth because they're often un-Islamic practices. The problems being: either people don't know, care, or accept those practices to be un-Islamic. The lack of truth in politics seems reflective of our society as a whole. Moreover, HornAfrique made a good point in stating that what we need is not a political revolution, but a cultural/social one. I think the most effective way in which to cause such a revolution is through education because in educating people you're essentially teaching them how to think. You're giving them the tools with which to form their own interpretations of truth, which is far better than having them blindly follow dhaqan with its share of both good and bad.

Salaamz.

1st of all there is ALWAYS a POLITICAL reality, so denying it or submerging it to other realities is nothing but futile excuse.

in my (otherwise biased) view, the political reality in our homeland is this.

A:The somali(nomadic) culture hasen´t endorsed the "world order", wich is based upon NATIONHOOD.

Our culture is confined to the clan borders, nothing beyond that mattres for our culture.

This is our socioeconomic problem

B: Demographically we (somalis) cover huge area in eastren Africa that can be sustained ONLY through political vission that is based on NATIONHOOD.

this is our problem with our neighbours.

C:The present political elite IS a lost genertion,a by-product of the indiffrent Nomad culture and the Clan based political vission, two contradicting realities.

This is our problem with the Warlord leaders, we coulden´t produce better.

D:We share common geographical n enviromental problems with the nations in east African.

This is our share of the African continent problem

E: Our willigness to have a soverign Nation , a home State for all ethnic somalis is in it´s weakest ever, the peek was under the colony times and it was declining ever since.

This is why the "Somali weyn" vission is dying , and beeing replaced by " maxaa iga galay" ( hell i care )

So , if we´ve a Somali problem formula that looks like this .

Nationhood - the A: problem -(The B:problem + The C: problem ) times The D:problem devided by E:problem.

Today´s political reality = (Nationhood - A -(B+C)*D /E ).

So dear LSK according to the Formula at hand

OG_GIRL would be better president than A/yusuf ;)