Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Re-Styled Somali clothes!!!

Hibo   

lol Mr Lox leave me and my funcky cousin alone ... and yess we look good in everything that we wear... in fact on monday when we meet ya, we'll come wid our diruuc!

wisikhadyahay!

looooooooooool at Baydan, i lift da whole thing up to my ankels. Or tuck it all into da googarad.

Hibo, let me know what ya think.. it is kinda funky , so U gota be daring, na mean.

MMWA,

Some of da Celebs where macawis so, apparently Gucci (or some gaal designer) has a special range...... U can add that 2 Ur special night out range lol

I think Punjabi style Hijaabs are beautifull, the long dress with the matching colour hijaab. Thats da kinda hijaab I hope to wear some time soon in sha Allah!

Sisters need 2 stop wearing EVERY colour under da rainbow all at once!

oh, can someone tell me how da hell to wrap up a guntiino? I just get all caught up in da damn thing cwm27.gif

Finally!I really agree....

We really should start designing our clothes coz its no fun having your dirac "holofholof"

And having to tak all of it into your gorgoro.

Hibo   

Ameeenah: I wore it... it was neat... I took a picture too...when I develop the pictures.. I will post it here.

U know.. I am going to Abu Dhabi this summer, that is a plce to tailor stuff... in here the US there is rarely a place aad ku toli kartid ur clothes... so I am gonna do alot of trials n errors down there,..I will keep u guys posted..n the mean while..share with us, u wildest dream n ur fanciful designs of somali only...no gaal ok.. i think we have enough designers for those!!

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Ashwaq   

You know what girls, I love Guntiino but I don't wear most of the times. When I wear them what I do is this: First I make sure all the hems are even, then I tie it to make sure nothing is dangling. Then I grab a safety-bin and just keep every thing in its place. also I make sure the side is binned down, so I won't cawir anyone, no wat i meen! smile.gif

Hibo: you will post picture of those crazy design once you come back from Dubia,right?

By the way, you can find tailors in the big cities where somali are, I don't know about MN, but TO and Ohio, and DC there are some people who do tailoring. Some good some great.

If you go to Chinatown,in your city, they do a lot of tailoring, especailly Korean women, Try them, All you do is show them a design, or drawing if you good at that, and if the woman is good she will duplicate your design.

Good luck

Hibo   

Ashwaaq... we do have them here in MN... but those in Abu Dhabi ur experts.. they help u in desiging as well as tailoring...somalis.. yaa warkooda ka bixi karo..maxaa saan u sameynee.. maxaa u haleynee dirca.. sheeko aan loo dirsan ay qoorta suranaayaan...so i rather stick.. with my hindi/pakistani tailors.. who will take their money..n hush hush!

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Ashwaq   

Okay Hibo in that case have you ever thought of learning it and doing it yourself. You know the Fabric stores give clases, and you can practice it at home. first with you can sew dress for your nieces doll, and graduate to actually sewing for them and them for yourself. My sister learned how to say from my mom, now she can saw actual real dress, that is if she can sit still. Unfortunaley I never learn, I am curse, every time I go near the sewing machine something breaks so I am ban from the sewing room

wink.gif.

Seriously, try to take some classes from places like Joan's Fabrics or Minnosata Fabrics, in that case you don't have to deal with Soomali Quuq leh.

ponyboy   

i hate people disrespecting my tradition

my best clothes "macawiis"

thats unusual na what am sayin'

be respectful to your culture dont' *** bring to the table something we didnt know aight

Hibo   

I love the dirac but I just wish it wouldnt drag on the floor and no ur not the last funky I am...I always have to have the last say

Buubto   

Asalaamu Aleikum Wr Wb

I thought I might bring up this topic again since we have a lot of new comers. They could come up different ideas icon_razz.gif .

BN   

Originally posted by commonsense:

I love my sisters who wear hijab, but it isn't neccessary to wear every single color in the rainbow at ones. Yellow hijab, with purple shirt, with poker dot neon green/pink skirt with red sneakers and a blue bag. You don't want to look hideous.

LOL :D That's what I was going to post. Sometimes it hurts my eyes to see all those colours put into one outfit :( I'd suggest a conservative look. Try grey, black, or white fashions. And add some colour in the summer. Just a hint ;)

biG mOm   

aslama alaykum

hoodi dalaq...

maasha allaah maskax kaa maqan maan walaalkaa bey ku jirtaa waa sax,

hibo nice topic sister, i'm siting in the back seat, just enjoying to read your Idea's. I'm sewing ;) just keep telling your bright idea's thnk you

babyface   

hey yall

i know this topic is more than a year old, i was jus browsin thru som old threds,and this one is so interestin i had to bring it bak to life..

fo real tho, u guys were on to sumthin

it wud be great if a new twist was added to our somali clothes,...

i dont really hav a problem wit da dirics, i luv wearin 'em to weddings and todoba bax

try_me - thot u were gonna post da pics to sum of yor styles

hmmmm...dont really hav ideas, i jus think that we need more variety, im not talkin bout colors we got enuff variety of that

one luv

Ebony

Ladies, ladies, you're bringing some good ideas here.

I'm big time into afrocentric fashions, but I can't stand the whole dirac thing, its too impractical for me. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but I'd prefer the dirac design (some of the calmer ones, not multi-coloured like someone said) in a skirt? Especially wrap skirts in the summer....

Also, whoever said they're too thin is right. Some thicker material would be lovely.

I do know a few people who can make skirts and dirac (firstly, my mom), so its just a case of looking around. Go to you local seamstress.

Good luck.

A lil friendly advice from the LayZieOne

Some of you pple have no business talking about fashion, much less coming up with new fall fashions or ways to wear / re-model certain materials...

It's true, some of you have no fashion sense, therefore do yourselves a favour and just keep on moving