Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Togane speaks again!

Pi   

I think Somalis don't understand that you can be critical and courteous at the same sime. They think the two are mutually exclusive. I don't think Togane hates his clan, actually, I even think he is proud of his ancestry. He just doesn't know how to express his sorrow in the face of the Somali status quo, so he resorts to blanket insults to stir them up.

Originally posted by Grammaticus:

I don't think Togane hates his clan, actually, I even think he is proud of his ancestry. He just doesn't know how to express his sorrow in the face of the Somali status quo, so he resorts to blanket insults to stir them up.

I think there is a fine line between being critical & Rudeness[Offensive,insulting].This professor is Just Rude[His fellow clansman,my freind calls him a Lunatic]. Apparently he has a history dating back to the 70s of being against his own clan.

A while back i read an article he wrote about a resort place called hawai[insert name]& i found it a tad unprofessional.He has an opinion but...

One must Criticize,Bash & Attack as long as one brings forth Ideas,solutions & practical methods to reverse the ills,wrongs and mistakes,if to be taken seriously. Otherwise one becomes a Hawk.

Pi   

See, that's just the thing. By lambasting his whole clan and by voicing sweeping generlisations the Professor thinks (I don't agree with him) that his clansmen will change. Sadly, his fulminations will either add to the wild fire, or it will cause some leaders to step up their game. We'll see what happens.

Nothing new, Toogane is the same as ever..

But i dont undertsand why Rahima and her sidekick Juma are going crazy. The man is giving his view point, why attack people in SOL. iTS A DAMN SHAME I TELL YA..

OLOL   

What a clown!! The buffoon knows nothing about Somalia. He spent most his time in the Diaspora being a drunkard and the last time he was in Somalia - he had been conditioned and brainwashed by the shady nepotistic nomads in power at the time.

I believe people in Mogadishu should not accede to those who had been driven out to ever come back simply not only because of their past arrogance but their current hypocrisy. They should reside in their peaceful enclaves. The rationale is uncomplicated. I do have hundreds of evidence.

These nomads won't allow any Somali to live among themselves, to own any properties in the "Boston" ...Boston comparison demands an act of contrition here. A friend of mine who is from a minor clan (mine) tried to set up a business venture in "Boston†…Again Boston …sorry for this awful travesty…he couldn't fist get a permission to purchase a land and build on it. He was rejected because he is not from "Boston". Then when he rented a place to run his business, he was asked to pay some protection money. To add insult to injury … a certain celebrated administrator dishonorably insulted him in public arena to the glee of his clannish crowd - " Dameerahaagii u laabo mugaan, waa loo fasaxay ineey xamar ku xaaraan mugaanâ€

My friend refused to tolerate such humiliation and decided to try his luck in "Montreal"...same experience...except there was no invective…The separatists asked him if he had a visa and any "Southerner is allowed to own and build a property in the "Holy Land" He continued his entrepreneurial determination to Djibouti and voila ... a high sartorial fashion business was started with civic minded colleagues with no hassle and no ill-treatment.

Gabbal   

^Your story seems like a made up story. Why would your "friend" need to go to "Montreal" or "Boston", when "New York" is free and open for him?

Make a point, but not in that insulting tone. Here you are lambasting Togane for his nonsensical insults (which I agree he should be lambasted for), but then in the next instant to engage in that sort of diatribe you have spewed and think of yourself as "rightous" is beyond belief hypocritical of you sxb.

Rahima   

But i dont undertsand why Rahima and her sidekick Juma are going crazy. The man is giving his view point, why attack people in SOL. iTS A DAMN SHAME I TELL YA..

What is shameful is your lack of understanding. Never took you for the slow type, but your fellow cheerleader (by the way, your skirt is tucked in at the back ;) ) felt the need to mention my name when it had absolutely nothing to do with me.

I couldn’t care less about a man who has little if any respect for my religion, all else he says then becomes rubbish. Nothing wrong with being hard and truthful to your clan but when you are a self-hating (tribe and diin) individual, you can’t expect the people who you refer to to take you seriously. Be harsh, yet respectful and courteous, when you preach do so with wisdom and then you just might have an impact. The only people this man appeals to are the cheerleaders, because he blurts out their garbage anyway. He is rude, vial and extremely unprofessional. He not only attacks the warlords and their supporters (which would be justified) but also all the good decent folks of that tribe (which I’m sure you lot don’t think exist). Were this man your tribesman and were he attacking your tribe the way he does, in that disgusting manner, I can but guarantee you the cheerleaders would be calling for his hanging. Just look at what you lot are doing to poor old adeer Morgan ;) .

General, you too need help.

A whole bunch of men crying in every thread about what I supposedly do or don’t. War what is wrong with you men? Crying like children all the time :rolleyes: . This really is unbecoming and embarrassing walaahi- I’m even embarrassed for you lot.

Now grow up, get lives and for the sake of your manhood stop mentioning my name everywhere you go.

Taleexi   

It is obvious that Mr. Togane is harsh to any damn Somali clan except two (M & G). Regardless of all relative implications that one may derive from his remarks, this guy spoke to the throat to convey his message.

Even though, he is so rude and mean to my clan but I still think the guy’s intellect has bypassed clanism threshold thus SOL nomads have nothing to be alarmed because Prof. Togane proved himself to be a harmless clan pundit.

Castro   

Does the mention of your clan's name in the first paragraph make you read the rest or stop reading at that point? Do we understand the psychology of clannism? The psychology that makes each and every one of us feel a twinge of shame when we explain to non-Somalis what the anarchy, chaos and death are all about? But we talk about it among ourselves as if it is real, concrete, tangible and can be proven by a blood test.

For those of us who cannot see beyond the mention of the name of "their" clan, it is important to remember no one is recording the recent history of Somalia as Togane is. Have you read his latest poem? Have you read any of his poems? No? Why then speak of the man as if you know him or his work? It's a shame. A real shame. But a shame that is part of many shames to which we bear witness.

P.S. The name of his latest poem is "THE DOGS BARK BUT THE CARAVAN STILL ROLLS ON". Read, ponder, learn then teach!

Rahima   

An opinion would be formed after reading his poems. No one would dislike the method employed by this man without reading his works. As far as Somalis are concerned, we sure do need a kick in the backside, but that does not mean that one has to be rude, disrespectful and immoral.

If the man were sincere about his efforts, he would not resort to blanket insults of a whole tribe, instead he would be writing productive pieces rather than the chat played out in Somali mukhaayado. He would be back home working alongside the decent men and women who are actually making a difference. Sitting like a fat jolly Santa writing vile pieces of tribalism does not help the situation back home. The ones who need to read his works couldn’t care any less about him or his poems and the ones who are doing what he should be doing (that is if he truly does care about Somalia) are most probably disgusted at the continuation of what burnt our country to begin with.

Criticism is of two: constructive and unconstructive. The former will lead to progress whereas the latter just leaves us in the same state.

On a final note, we are all entitled to opinions - not all of us form our opinions based on tribe. If I were interested in the glorification of my tribe (Somali style of glorification of course) the men who I despise would be my heroes. We shouldn’t automatically jump to such assumptions; some of us are separate from the wounds inflicted on our respective tribes. Some of do not hurt because others say negative and some of us do not smile because other praise. Some of just don’t give a hoot; we call a spade a spade. This mans poems are pointless and don’t alleviate any of the problems back home, so I ask what is the point of reading, pondering, learning or teaching? You ponder, learn and teach that which is constructive- his poems are not!

Cara.   

Rahima, calling Togane tribalistic is amazingly inaccurate. By all standards, he's the least tribalistic Somali alive. Yes, he insults many tribes (mine included), but sometimes "constructive criticism" falls on deaf ears. How many people do you know who's constructive criticisms are noticed, much less heeded? The very fact that his views get aired, favorably or unfavorably, is a step in the right direction.

"A poem begins with a lump in the throat." Robert Frost

Originally posted by Callypso:

sometimes "constructive criticism" falls on deaf ears. How many people do you know who's constructive criticisms are noticed, much less heeded?

So just becoz constructive criticism falls on deaf ear,one has the right to insult an entire clan?

There is a fine line between rudeness and criticism[Me thinks].

More than anything his tone is very harsh :(

Castro   

^ And no one is denying that atheer. Harshness does not mean bigotry, however. Togane is not a bigot. If anyone would be the critic of their tribe, it is one of them. The poet that he is, he uses the clan name to mean all the killers who damaged us all. He's not talking about innocent men, women and children. If some people take it as such, it is their own bigotry that blinds them to his words.

As Somalis we agree on nothing so why should Togane be any different. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Castro:

^ The poet that he is, he uses the clan name to mean all the killers who damaged us all. He's not talking about innocent men, women and children. If some people take it as such, it is their own bigotry that blinds them to his words.

Ahhhhh.....Got it. Poetic Licence

To borrow but from you: Bullshidh... But of course