Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Turkish backing for honour crimes

NGONGE   

A survey by a university in Turkey has shown almost 40% support for the practice of "honour killing".

The results come days after a court in Istanbul gave a life sentence for the murder of a girl by her brothers for giving birth to a child out of wedlock.

Turkish law, which used to be lenient on "honour crimes", was heavily revised as part of the country's preparation for EU accession proceedings.

Turkey has started talks with the EU but is not expected to join for years.

The survey was conducted in the conservative south-eastern city of Diyarbakir.

Disfigured

It questioned 430 people, most of them men. When asked the appropriate punishment for a woman who has committed adultery, 37% replied she should be killed.

Twenty-five percent said that she deserved divorce, and 21% that her nose or ears should be cut off.

The survey group was small but the results are a reminder that "honour killing" - a practice where women are murdered for allegedly bringing shame on their family - still has significant support in parts of Turkey.

There are no reliable statistics on how many women die this way, but Turkey has made major strides fighting such violence.

Research panel

Since the penal code was reformed last summer a man can no longer claim he was provoked as his defence. That used to lead to light sentences.

But last Friday a court in Istanbul sent a man to prison for life for murdering his sister in her hospital bed.

He shot her for giving birth to a child outside marriage.

And there is evidence the authorities here are committed to taking the reforms further.

A commission has just been established in parliament to research the whole issue for the first time. Its 12 members are expected to report back in December.

Source

Wonder what an anonyms vote here would throw up?

Muhammad   

A survey by a university in Turkey has shown almost 40% support for the practice of "honour killing".

The survey was conducted in the conservative south-eastern city of Diyarbakir.

It questioned 430 people, most of them men.

can we realy trust that this is an accurate image of the people of Turkey?

why question mostly males in a 'conservative' KURDISH city? :D

Jacpher   

I don’t know if they are doing this reform to please the EU and get accepted or for the betterment of their citizens. How far would Turkey go to get accepted? I wonder what would they commit to the people to gain entry?

war balayo, say what? honour-killing? brothers killing thier sister, killiiiiiing? malcuuniin dheh? they deserve their punishment,and may I add they had it coming.

Now the survey seems little fishy to me and there are questions to be asked with suspicious mind, such as why men only? why only da conservative part? what questions were asked?under what setting? how was da survey designed but most importantly who conducted da survey? See nomads, da rest of da world is out to get us, and by us i mean our faith, da Islamic faith. so whenever you read about those surveys and studies conducted on Islam soil, buckle up and be a lot more suspecious than u normally would.

-----------------------------------

The battle to be the best has just begun

Originally posted by Muhammad:

can we realy trust that this is an accurate image of the people of Turkey?

why question mostly males in a 'conservative' KURDISH city?
:D

My thoughts exactly.

Ngonge, the article only reflects the Kurd society and doesnt not cover the Turkish society. Though I find the men hypocrites, its ok to pay for pleasure with Russian/Balkan imported sex workers(Its a common practise for men to lose their virginity in such places "Genel ev" as they are named.) but their sisters cant be touched. What comes around goes around.

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

[QB] ...they deserve their punishment,and may I add they had it coming.

Dear just dont jump to conclusions to quickly. Most of the girls were killed for trivial things. Mere suspicion is enough to kill a girl, which is a shame Wallahi.

In many cases even the suspicion of a girl's aspiring to have a pre- or extra-marital contact with a man provides sufficient basis for her murder. In a case in 1996 in Sanliurfa, one of the major urban areas in Southeastern Turkey that is infamous for its honor killings, a girl was killed by her family for merely having gone strolling downtown with another girlfriend. In another case in 1997, again in Sanliurfa, a girl was murdered by her family for having made a phone request to the DJ of a local radio station to play a love song.

source

This practise is common in Diyarbakir where they still have the patriachal system.They kill the girls but leave the culprits, most of the girls had been raped by family members even when she tells the truth noone wants to beleive her. As she asked for it. Audhubillah. Those lucky vicitims who manage to run away from the abuse and go to the big cities, get hunted down and you can hear cases of the girl, now married with children killed by her family member because of the sin/suspicion in the past.

Cara.   

Chocolate&Honey,

they deserve their punishment,and may I add they had it coming.

Is this aimed at the murdered women? Because if it is, it makes this part

da rest of da world is out to get us, and by us i mean our faith, da Islamic faith.

seem a little ironic. You questioned the survey methodology and intent, which is good, but then agree with its conclusion? And yet blame "da world" for painting a bad picture of your faith?

NGONGE   

Lets gaily skip over the details or authenticity of the survey for a minute (I got it from the BBC site). The article throws up two discussions: the issue of Honour Killing and the case for Turkish membership in the EU.

Honour killing is a custom that is prevalent in many ‘third world’ countries (mostly Muslim ones). Other than macho muscle flexing on online forums, are there any other instances of honour killing (or the support of) in Somali society? I’ve heard of a few petulant boys (more often than not they happen to be boys) sharpening their knives and vowing to kill their own sisters (and their husbands) for running away and getting married in such and such town. But I’ve never heard of such threats actually being carried out.

Does such a tradition exist in Somali society? What are the rules?

On the issue of Turkish membership of the European Union, do you think it’s a good thing? Does it help that they’re instituting laws to tackle age-old problems such as honour killing, human right abuses and the death penalty (the secular type)? Will membership of the EU and the adoption of clear and unambiguous democratic practises work in the favour of Islamist political parties in Turkey? Surely the GREAT European Union will not allow what happened the last time a Muslim party won the majority of the vote to happen again! In fact, would the inclusion of Turkey mean the final dismemberment and exposure of the EU?

Your reasonable comments and opinion are eagerly awaited.

Baluug   

The phrase "honour killing" is an oxymoron in the first place.What honour do you receive from killing your own sister?If a woman is married and cheats on her husband and 4 eyewitnesses confirm the deed,then she should be stoned to death according to the Shariah.As for the man she cheates with,I imagine his punishment would be the same(stoning).If she is not married,she is to be lashed 80(i think?) times,as well as her partner.

So what kind of honour are you bringing upon yourself if you have no proof that your sister(or whoever) cheated?Someone who commits this "honour killing" is clearly wrong and there is proof from the sunnah for that(unless you have the 4 witnesses,which isn;t very likely).