Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Somaliland: The Little Country That Could (David H. Shinn)

Gediid   

HornAfrique

Say that again.Osman Samater School in Addis Ababa.....never heard of it nor seen it.

AYOUB   

Baashi's post included:

The Italians intended to plant a colony of settlers and commercial entreprenuers in the region between the Shabeele and Juba rivers in sounthern Somalia. Their motivation was ''relieve the population at home'', to offer ''civilisizing Roman mission'' to Somalis, and increase Italian prestige through overseas colonisation.

In contrast to the Italian colony, British Somaliland stayed a neglegted backwater. Daunted by the diversion of sustantial development funds to the suppression of the dervish insurection and by the 'wild' character of the anarchic Somali pastrolists.

Hornafriq i think the above quotes back my opinion that the Italians found it easier to colonise than the British. The qoutes aslo state in no uncertain terms that everything you were credinting the Italians with was done in the interest of Italians. If the Italians did not lose the second world war, their plan was to settle in Somalia, the land they believed they had bought from the Sultan of Zanzibar the same way USA bought Alaska from the Czar.

Dantay the resistance to the Brits was done by in broad and varied ways. It started with attacks on British ships and included refusal to pay taxes and 'pastrolists' shooting colonial 'officials ' etc. The Mullah's insurection ended in the 1920's but the Brits never had it their way untill they left. My point is there is little 'colonial legacy' in Somaliland compared to Somalia and Djibouti because of the resistace in its all shapes and forms. So please do not use 'colonial legacy' arguement against Somalind. No need to get personal ;)

Gabbal   

Ayoub :rolleyes: I don't want to debate with you about what Gaal was better or not, but I hold Sayid Abdullah's resistence in high esteem and will always hold it as.

The part about Italians thinking of prosyltezing Somalis, do you think the British didn't think of prosyltizing too? Infact the British had converted more Africans to Christianity then any other colonizers.

But if you have ever tried to look beyond the words of that post, you would have maybe figured out that the Somalis in Italian Somaliland did not have as much a big reason to resist the Italians then the Somalis in the British "Proctectorate" ;) did, because it was maybe, just maybe, it was beneficial for them.

As I have said countlessly both were Gaalo and colonizers and deserved to be kicked of our land, but if we had to look back in history, any sane person would know which one of the two was better for the Somali people.

[ June 08, 2003, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

Gediid   

HornAfrique

I grew in Ethiopia,spent 10 years of my life in Addis Ababa.Graduated from the most prestigious school in Addis.Walaalo it wasn't called the name you mentioned and from what I know there hasn't been a name change either.

Gabbal   

Admin why was my post edited? The only think that is altered in my post were the pictures? What was so wrong with them, that they were edited?

Gediid I'm at ods as you are, I was told that the most prestigous high school in Addis was named after him, but if not then I don't know.

AYOUB   

hornafriq

...the Somalis in the Italian Somaliland did not as much big reason to resist the Italian then the Somalis in the British ''Protectorate''
;)
did, because it was maybe, just maybe, it was beneficial for them'

What a flimsy,lousy and embarrassing excuse. Is that why you tolerate the 'warlords' too?. I've heard the same words from Arabs with no courage to rise against the royals. What a 'patriot' you are?

[ June 10, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: AYOUB_SHEIKH ]

Gabbal   

ADMIN I ask again why were the pictures erased?

Ayoub-Sheikh

Your friend Angel Dust was passing out awards in another thread, maybe she should give you best propagandist. ;)

Anyway as I have said before, I did not want to join another meaningless debate.

This is the last time I repond to this thread.

[ June 10, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: HornAfrique ]