Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Somaliland: The Little Country That Could (David H. Shinn)

Gediid   

Sam Warrior said

It is to the credit and political suaveness of the Puntland administration. The same administration that made it possible for the people in Burco and all Togdheer to utilise Bosaso, the business hub of that part of the region. What happened to Berbera you may ask?

From your philosophical analogy of events,I think I can say here that you have no knowledge of how business works in the homeland.It seems to me that you are content in counting your change in pennies.

This has nothing to with politics but rather cost benefit analysis.Its cheaper to import through Bosaaso anything that is considered BAGAASH and through Berebera all food items.Its no joke but the rice eaten in Garoowe is from berbera but you won't hear me trumpet that it was the "POlitical Suaveness" of Somaliland Admin.Its just ludicrous for me to imply that.

its rediculous for you to think that waqooyi galbeed is economically superior to puntland.

if we agree on a common boarder between the waqooyi galbeed and togdheer provinces and the rest of somalia, iam positive that their economy will collapse. puntland is economically intergrated with the rest of somalia ,while waqooyi galbeed is isolated, except the port of berbera.

i firmly beleive we have the bargaining card when it comes to economic issues.

the fundamentals are in place more so in puntland than waqooyi galbeed.

Gediid   

Xassan

If I was granted one wish today I would use that wish to wake you up and make you smell the coffee but since I don't see the genie coming forth to grant me such an oppurtunity I will simply hope that one day you will see the light and learn to distinguish between facts from FAAN.

Having said that my whole post was simply to enlighten the forum of the interdependence of trade not prove anything else.

If you have any facts at your disposal in regard to the waqooyi galbeed's economy ,then lets analyse it, otherwise claims and counterclaims willnot validate your point.

You have been re inventing the tire , without coming up with a valid argument for the seperation of a region from somalia.

in addition, you have been trying to present two provinces, out of the 18 provinces which somalia comprises as the "NORTH HALF", while lumping the rest as "the SOUTH". This misleading mirage will not change the realities on the ground, which affirm that the provinces of togdheer (except buuhoodle) and waqooyi galbeed, are illegal and unsustainble as a country.

Gediid   

YAA RABBI Ninku madax adagkaa.

Xassan

The key words again are interdependence of trade between Somalis from Dira Dawa to Djibouti,from Lowyacado to Mooyale.GET IT.

Had my undergraduate degree had not been in accounting & finance, did not manage corporate accounts and businesses for a living, did not own partnership ventures in both Puntland and Somaliland, your presumption would have been of value to the matter, thus shall regard it along the lines of the what one great poet, the late Khlaif Sh. Mohamed said to a man who attempted to muddle issues of great concern by waddling in a blind fashion “…… Ninkii dabinka meegaartay, Oo geri malaynaayey, Sagaaradii majaha suratay baad maandhow ii tahay…..”. Come up with a better line of reasoning which could be passed on as logical if not practical in the matter than retorting to the ludicrous suggestion that rice consumed in Garowe has been imported from Berbera.

Interdependence of economies, sure, we all favour that, but not in the isolationist context practiced in Hargeysa, and most definitely not in the nature with which you presume with everything that smells Somali.

Interdependence of trade definitely, yes as that is the way forward, but not the home woven yarn that is being circulated in close circles old boy.

So long!

Gediid   

Sam Warrior

Business ventures Osman and Ali setup in dark lit rooms over Mijin chat ah and the corporations you manage are in 2 different categories.The richest men among Somalis do not have a business degree yet know and live cost benefit analysis without the help of a Jewish Professor and you, my sword wielding samurai will make tall claims based on your Western corporate exeriences not quite comprehending the true mechanism that drives business among Somalis.Like it or not Somalis have matured enough to separate business and politics so you might as well jump onto the bandwagon cuz this one will stop for no one.Call this home woven yarn or what ever but those are the realities on the ground.

Adios

LANDER   

Discussions of philosophical concepts aside though such concepts tend to strengthen, hence add substance to the debate for politics in itself is a branch or a discipline of philosophy that one could not approach the former whilst distancing oneself from the later, for such would equate taking a dip in the Thames river yet not wanting to come into contact with water.

quite sure of yourself aren't you Samurai? perhaps in due time we can start a thread on philosophy. ;) Then perhaps you can explain to me your understanding of posterior analytics and we'll find out if that arrogance of yours is really justified.

p.s.If hargeisa practices isolationist business methods, why invest in Somaliland? aren't you contradicting yourself? It doesn't sound like sound business principles emanating from a man with such high claims as yours.

Ayoub,

you made some good points sxb.

India   

One really wonders what would have been the fate of millions of Somalis in the South who either died directly becuase of the on going war in the South or the famine that took place, had all the energy that the Southerns direct towards Somaliland was directed towards thier own???

Baffling in't that southerns call Somaliland a colonial legacy?? Mr Samuria, HAVING READ YOUR ARTICLES I CAN'T HELP BUT ASK, ISN'T TIRESOME TO WRITE A LOADED ARTICLE OF JARGON THAT WHEN SIFFERED THROUGH AMOUNTS TO A LOT OF WAFFLING?

I put it before you that Somaliland was never colonised!

A protectrate indeed but never a colonised state. Better start checking those books again brother because fabrications will not re-write history.

The point remains however, is Somaliland not the wish of the people of Somaliland, the deliverance of the heroes of Somaliland (SNM)? So who is any one else to ask for more justifications.

And another thought perhaps is that it is not just the civil war that has determined our mind about the rest of Somalia, but we simply do not wish to have anything to do with the rest of you. Frankly, this ongoing cry after Somaliland is desperate and BORING.

Believe it or not the people that oppose united Somalia is not just the old folks in Somaliland, but indeed the 20 somthings like myself who hold the future of thier country in thier hands and will not at any cost sacrifice that.

Somaliland is the future, it is our destiny and the promised land. DR King said " I have seen the promised land and if you cant fly there walk, if you cant walk run and if you cant run crawl, but by all means get there" Somaliland will get there even of we are crawling at that moment, which is not what one can say for the rest of Somalia. SO, stop hating and get with the programme.

I suggest for all the doubters to form and orderly queue for visas to visit Somaliland.

A lot of you can talk the talk but the Q is: can you walk the walk, because Somaliland is and you are not even keeping up SOMALIA.

Dusty

Coloow   

One wonders what philosophy and abstract models got to do with economic development of a country in tatters!

Cilmi   

To: Samurai,Entrepreneur, Hassan, Nomad, and the rest of Hate mongers!

For your infor in somaliland;

1. There's peace; political stability

2. There's sound economic activity.

3. There's no killing, raping and looting innocent people.

4. There's a sense of normalcy.

5. There's more respect for multiculturalism.

6. There's more positive signs of progress, unlike the rest of Somalia which is self-destructing.

For those of you who are crying Somali Nationalism: it's dead. If you have no respect for a Somali; if you murder, rape and loot a Somali, then where's this sense of "Somali Nationalism"? If being a Muslim can't let you leave in peace with your brother, then what can "Somali Nationalism" do?

Somaliland's sustained positive progess in many fields (political, social, economic and etc.). Somaliland is a perfect model for the rest of Somalia; their unique system of governance offers the best solution. Those people who are crying Somali unity are the very ones who destroyed Somalia :eek: . They are the ones who murdered, raped and looted innocent Somalis. Somalilanders should be proud not to be like those savages. ;)

Those savages are full of hatred and envy; they can't see a group of Somalis living in peace and prosperity. That's why they attack Somaliland with Nationalistic rhetorics. It's the only weapon (Somali nationalism) that's left for them to use, though they know it's a dead concept. They're in self-denial and in shock of the atrocities they commited. That's why they blame anyone (Somaliland, Ethiopia, the West, Arabs, Europeans) except themselves. Ultimately, they will be the sole losers, because their empty rhetorics will not make a squat difference

Now those who sacrificed to liberate their people and country from the enslavement of the fascist regime are branded terrorists, while the transgressors and perpetrators of mass murders, destruction and mayhem in Somaliland thier heros!

You blind yourselves from the truth and facts and that is why 13 years after the fall of the murderers regime you are still in turmoil.

As long as you do not want to come to terms with your murky past you will never succeed in your endeavours for peace. But the truth of the matter is that you will never learn from your experience. ;)

-----------------

Waxba yaanu xeerkay i marin xoolona i siine

Xaashee nin libin kaa xistiyey xumihi waa yaabe.

Coloow   

Waryaahe Cilmi,

Let me tell you something bro.

-Debating an issue and not seeing eye to eye is not hate-mongering.

-Somalinimo is not dead, but the state of somalia is in a comma.

-The so called somaliland is inhabited by somalis.

-Any achievment reached by any somali or region is a matter of pride and not hate.

-Very right in saying that "we got rid of a fascist dictator" but isn't what you are saying the creation of another dictatorship?

Answer me one simple question Cilmi: WHAT IS YOUR ETHNICITY?

India   

Entrepreneur,

If you were to ask me the same q, I would answer ex Somali but today am a proud Somalilander.

And before you start another never ending story on the Somali ethnicity and how Somaliland appears no where on world refrences, I would like to say to you give time and it shall soon appear. One must crawl before they can walk.

My question to you is what country are you from? If you answer is Somalia then my answer to you is: there is no such state for a country need a government, a stable economy and peace to be classified as a country. I ask you between Somaliland and Somalia, which one meets the criteria for a sovereign FUNCTIONABLE state???

Dusty.

Coloow   

Dusty ok fair enough. I am an ethnic somali who is a citizen of a european country.

To the eyes of the world we are all somalis. I don't think ethnicity is dynamic. You are born into an ethnic group- somali in my case. You may change your domicile, nationality or citizenship but not your ethnical background.

so you argument that somalinimo is dead is flawed.

Let me just say something for the record here. I don't care if what was known as somalia disintegrates into small chieftains, republics,kindgoms, etc. My argument is not based or coloured by tribalism.

By the way you mentioned that you are an ex somali turned somalilander! I am perhaps the most stupid guy on this planet but where do the somalilanders come from?

India   

"By the way you mentioned that you are an ex somali turned somalilander! I am perhaps the most stupid guy on this planet but where do the somalilanders come from? "

Somaliland. It is a clear cut as that my fellow brother. Nothing stupid, altrerior or otherwise about it.

Salama

Dust.