Sign in to follow this  
Mintid Farayar

The Realities of Puntland and Somaliland

Much to the chagrin of the Puntland crew on this Forum, the truth speaks much louder than the propaganda. The difference in the weight each entity is awarded couldn't be clearer than the most recent visit to Ethiopia and who the respective leaders held working meetings with. Below I post for you the official Ethiopian media reports on the respective visits.

Ethiopia: Federal police boss, Puntland president discuss human trafficking

214 words

13 March 2009 02:21 PM BBC Monitoring Africa English © 2009 The British Broadcasting Corporation. All Rights Reserved. No material may be reproduced except with the express permission of The British Broadcasting Corporation.

Text of report by state-owned Ethiopian TV on 13 March

Ethiopia has affirmed its readiness to work with Puntland Administration [northeastern Somalia] to curb illegal human trafficking. The director general of federal police held talks with Puntland president, Abdirahman Muhammad Mahmud. Fekreyesus Tewelde has the details. [Fekreyesus] Mr Workeneh Gebeyehu, director general of federal police, and Puntland's president, Mr Abdirahman Muhammad, talks mainly focused on how to control and combat the illegal human trafficking from Ethiopia to the Arab peninsula through Puntland. Mr Workeneh and the president discussed how both countries could work hand in hand in combating the crime by using the media to educate the society. They have also discussed how to bring to book those who are involved in the illegal activity. Mr Workeneh said that they have also discussed on how both countries could jointly combat any security threat to both countries be it crime or terrorism. He said that they have also discussed on how both countries can help each other on capacity building. Mr Abdirahman Muhammad on his part said that they can save the loss of human lives by combating the crime together.

Source: Ethiopian TV, Addis Ababa, in Amharic 1700 gmt 13 Mar 09

-------------------------------

So basically, the meeting was about human-trafficking , an international crime whose regional crime-lords have found a ready base on the shores of Puntland.

Meanwhile, another visit was taking place in Addis during the same time...

Ethiopian premier in talks with Somaliland president

102 words 13 March 2009 01:44 PM

BBC Monitoring Africa English © 2009 The British Broadcasting Corporation. All Rights Reserved. No material may be reproduced except with the express permission of The British Broadcasting Corporation.

Text of report by state-owned Ethiopian TV on 13 March

Prime Minister Meles Zenawi today in his office received and held talks with Somaliland president, Dahir Riyale Kahin. President Kahin while briefing journalists said that his talks with the prime minister had centred on the current security situation in the Horn of Africa and trade between the two countries. The president said that his country and Ethiopia shares a lot on the Horn of Africa issues, Ethiopian News Agency noted.

Source: Ethiopian TV, Addis Ababa, in Amharic 1700 gmt 13 Mar 09

-----------------------------

Rayaale, on the other hand, warrants an audience with the head guy. Kind of gives a sobering reality check to the constant propaganda we hear on this Forum.

Thankful   

What's interesting is that the Ethiopian Government invites both groups at the same time. For them there is no difference and they are dealing with the Same Country. They have done this many times in the past where both leaders are in Ethiopia at the same time. Next stop for both? Djibouti you'll see. If they saw Somaliland and Puntland as two different countries they wouldn't invite them both at the exact same time, especially knowing the history between the two. (Unless of course it was a meeting between all three.)

It's further proof how irrelevant Somaliland is to them and the lack of respect they have for it. Ethiopia and Djibouti would rather deal with Somalia issues at the same time.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Like two whores fighting over who pleases their pimp better, what pity!

Hahahaha, Looool, couldn't have put it better.

Nacasnimo intaa ka wayn ma aragtay, xabashidii baa loo kala tartamayaa.

Btw ethiopia will break down sooner or later, mark my words. The balkanisation of that country is immenent, only waiting for Somalia to become strong country and give the final push to the many freedom fighters (ONLF, OLF, SLF, UWSLF etc etc etc) there. I can see Soomaali Galbeed becoming free in our lifetime and Somaliweyn dream finaly be reached.

Let only all d*b*dh*ll*fs be preoccupied with their nacasnimo.

This is the reason i didn't like Faroole visiting Ethiopia, that country is absolutly nothing he could have spend those hours on more important issues. To be honest him visiting Ethiopia has made me lose a bit of respect.

Madaxweynaha DGPL iyo wafti uu hogaaminayo oo maalmahaan ku sugnaa wadanka Ethiopia ayaa maanta magaalada Addis Ababa si gooni gooni ah xafiisyadooda
ula kulmay Raísal Wasaaraha Ethiopia Meles Zenawi & Wasirrka arrimaha dibada Ethiopia Atto: Sayoum Mesfin.

web page

Jb n Mintid...You were saying?

N missed nothing Sxb, big dog Riyaale was given state-level welcome and met the Ethio's prime minister, while Faroole was relegated to meeting lower level officials....I guess Mintid has no argument to make now which stinks for those believe Ethiopia prefers one Somali over the other. Ethiopia prefers any Somali who does their bidding in Somalia., so my friends just cuz Riyaale was given the first opportunity to give Zenawi a special lap dance doesn't mean Zenawi gives a hoot about Somaliland and status as an "important" state. So, folks get your head out of your @sses. The Amxaar who levelled Xamar leveled to the ground could give sh*t!!!

believe me when I say you are no different than those Somalis the Woyanes massacred in my Xamar Cadeey. You are all the same, and when Zenawi is done with Faroole and Riyaale, he would discard them like condom, just like he did to Yeey n Fanaxley

Oodweyne, singing to the deaf, singing to the deaf, my friend. I posted two articles from the official Ethiopian media (translated by the BBC) and others post back propaganda from the official Faroole family website!

Notice the picture with the Ethiopian Prime Minister is no where to be found on the Puntland websites (where's the beef, fellas?). A meeting with Seyoum Mesfin is impressive in its own right, though...

^I see you are slowly joining the chorus...welcome abroad.

Oodweyne...I admire your persistence, and absolute devotion to your cause, I really do, but you are old enough to remember and wise to know the strategic interest of Ethiopia in Somalia , and its willingness to entertain any Somali "leader" that will do its bidding. To portray Riyaale's meeting with Zenawi as diplomatic triumph for Somaliland is self-deceptive at best or delusional at worst. I'm afraid you are neither. Unlike the kids here on SOL that became indoctrinated with 'Somaliland wey duushay philosophy" or the grown men who chose to wear blinkers, Oodweyne you very well understand Riyaale's official meeting with Zanewi has no implication for Somaliland, and carries no more weigh than that of Faroole's or any other so called Somali 'leader'.

Now, since you brought up Garoweonline, of course I know that's Farole's mouthpiece, and I know you know that, and you know I know that, and you very well know I'm not getting one past you. The point of my post were the images of Mr Faroole's with Ethio officials. Now, this forced Mintid to acknowledge Faroole's visit was more than a sitdown with appointed mid-level bureaucrat, but wait, now he wants a pic of Faroole kissing the ring of the godfather himself(Zenawi) (something funnily enough I expected him to say). And if such image were to show up, then next argument would be, geeze the official Ethio media didn't carry the story, and BBC had nothing to translate.

Oodweyne..I understand you have be on message, but seriously, from SSDF,SNM (I know they are your heroes, and they were merely using the Derg regime just like Yeey was using Zenawi's army), USC, RRA, Mogadisho's infamous warlords, Puntland, Somaliland to the new outfit battling Al-Shabaab in Galgaduud Ahlu Sunah are/were beholden to Ethiopia one time or another.

Here is what Jb quoted to show the stark 'difference' between Faroole and Riyaale visit.

Federal police boss, Puntland president discuss human trafficking

Ethiopian premier in talks with Somaliland president

Now if you wanna sport Jb's usual big grin, and take comfort in that, by all means, but the thing about you is you know better.

Anyhow, Soomaalida waxey tiraahdaa gaal waa ladilaa, gartiisana waa la,siiyaa, so to be fair tell me, does Somaliland's relationship with Ethiopia paid any dividends, and how's this relationship any different from that of Puntland, TFG, and any other Somali regions or leader/ relationship with Ethiopia?

Please, ha cuskan your usually "something is in the workings argument"

Anyway, dadkeeno tusaale maqaantaa, but here are Zenawi and his once most loyal pets

meles_somalia2.jpg

Che,

Nothing was forced from me 'in admission' as you put it earlier - I was just being gracious in order not to raise the blood pressure of my brothers from Puntland ;)

The point of the original post is to further put to rest the equating of Somaliland and Puntland that so many try to make both in SOL and the larger world (as two federal entities within many federal entities). That bridge was crossed by the world when

A)it was decided that all transitional governments are for the South including Puntland, and

B)when a functional gov't has been established for the former Italian Somaliland/South then the two (former Italian Somaliland/South and Somaliland) shall discuss their future relations. This was first decided in 1993 with UNISOM, when the foreign troops landed and set up bases everywhere including parts of Puntland but did not include Somaliland in their nation-building. It was continued and stressed to Abdelqasim with his Arta gov't (even though he attempted to change that, he was muzzled in order to receive international financial assistance). Finally, it was solidified in Eldorat/Mbegathi where A. Yusuf was crowned. Hence the verbal acrobatics by A. Yusuf and Ghedi whenever asked about Somaliland. They usually deferred by stating 'we'll deal with that issue once the South has been pacified/governed' (repeating the international community's stand).

Contrary to what you and others might think, Ethiopia does not change leaders in Somaliland, unlike Puntland, where it lent armaments and troops to A. Yusuf when it didn't like the ascendency of Jama A. Jama in the early 2000's. Ethiopia often offers to mediate the disputes within Somaliland but the offer is politely declined by Somaliland (not wishing to let the wolf into the barn when you're still relatively weak). That's a lesson that our Somali brethren elsewhere have yet to learn.

The meetings with Meles (which are now quite common for Rayaale) are significant in terms of diplomatic protocol in that heads of gov't in an official capacity meet with other heads of gov't. Following this protocol, Meles will meet with A. Yusuf and Sh. Sharif as heads of the TFG but not with Adde Muse or Faroole.

Now just like all humans that Allah has created, I could be wrong so I await an official Ethiopian source or world newswire covering the Meles meeting!

Should I write my point in 'Far waaweyn'??