Sign in to follow this  
salim

Getting Married to your first cousin....

Bess.   

i believe its xalaal....and that is good, but we always hear about the health facts....i hope this helps.. :D

This ARTICLE was written on this subject by DENISE GRADY and the head writer is one of my proff's. I am posting a few extracts:

Contrary to widely held beliefs and longstanding taboos in America, first cousins can have children together without a great risk of birth defects or genetic disease, scientists are reporting today.They say there is no biological reason to discourage cousins from marrying.

In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a serious problem like spina bifida or cystic fibrosis is 3 percent to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the report said.

Although the increase represents a near doubling of the risk, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage cousins from having children, said Dr. Arno Motulsky, a professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington, and the senior author of the report.

"In terms of general risks in life it's not very high," Dr. Motulsky said. Even at its worst, 7 percent, he said, "93 percent of the time, nothing is going to happen."

Dr. Motulsky said medical geneticists had known for a long time that there was little or no harm in cousins marrying and having children. "Somehow, this hasn't become general knowledge," even among doctors, he said.

Wiilo   

Well, if u want my personal opinion there is nothing wrong marrying ur counsin, though I won't marry my first counsin.......

Go figure:...............

Haddad   

Nothing is wrong with first cousins getting married to each other. By that, I mean from religious, ethical, and medical standpoints. The later standpoint contradicts many taboos and inaccurate informations we have about such marriages; besbaaso's extracts is one of many medical/scientific articles I have read that prove such marriages are comparable to regular ones. Having said that, I personally prefer to marry from distant circles.

Bess.   

am glad i don't have that option....my first cousins are very young.... :D ...i would feel better with someone outside of the family... ;)

Actually getting married is the best thing when it is far away from the family , , ,

I'm not more into these inside family marriages . . . .

Salma   

All the First-Cousins Marriages that happened in my family faced very difficult situations and disapprovals from the elders bcz:-

1- Its Ceeb in our society, your first cousin is like your brother/sister.

2- Relatives Marriage is not good for the children's health.

3- Some say its better not to marry from the same family incase any fights or clashes happened between the couples it will move to the whole family and such small & normal fights between the married couples may cause disasters and break-ups in the family :confused:

Guyz whether u say "Hell No" or "Never Ever" Or "No Way" what Allah has written for us will happen regardless of what we want/wish. You never know; just hope and pray that God grant you a good, decent and lovely Soulmate :D

Bismilaah,

Waxay ila tahay arintaas waa fiican tahay oo meel diinta xageeda dhaheysa waa xun tahay ma jirto. Sidaas darteed, ilaah la tasho hadii aad talo fiican rabtid. Sideen ula tashadaa Allah? Waxaa jirta salaad la yiraahdo Istiqaarah, waa laba rakaco, iyo duco. Hadii ilaah kheyr qalbiga kuu galiyo, go ahead and do as you positively feel it, or else leave it as your heart feels the discomfort of it. smile.gif

No wonder we seem malnourished in most cases and pretty weak looking. Perhaps it’s because of theses relationships that a lot of the brothers and sisters look unproportional icon_razz.gif .

Alhamdulilah got many cousins and pretty ones at that Mashallaah, but I wouldn’t dare even think of the idea as it can sometimes turn into a nightmare scenario and cause a lot of heartache within what would have otherwise been a closely knit family.

nuune   

first cousin aa ka hadlaysaan, war aniga gabar aan siddeed awwoow kala tirsano xattaa agteeda ma maraayo, dhankaas waa dhanka aabaha, dhanka hooyadana wax ay ayada kala tirsadaan illaa 16 uma dhawaanaayo, okey waa fahanteen, nothing is wrong but that is my shiidh

**dhafoorkuu heestaa**

This is what Imam Al-Ghazzali says about the subject (least arguably the most accurate) and bear in mind, IT IS NOT HARAM. The Imam is merely pointing out here the ways of attaining or manners that are "inducive a happy and conjugal life":

"That she shouldn't be a close relative as it would lessen desire. The Prophet PBH said, "Don't marry close relatives, for then the child is born scrawny". That to say weak,; such is the weakening effect it (marrying close relatives) has on desire. For desire is excited by the deep emotions which result from sight and touch; emotions are strenthened by whatever is unfamiliar and new. On the other hand, what is familiar and seen continously renders the faculties incapable of fully appreciating it [desire], being affected by it, or becoming arousing through it. These are qualities desired in women."

Raxmah   

Salaams

This topic is a favorite one among my class mates. The idea of cousins marrying each other and their children not coming out as retards was not existent. I just sat there…and listened, heard the same story million times. I told them that my parents are cousins, grandpa’s are brothers and grandma’s are sisters, my parents have 10 kids and none are retards…they just sat there looking at me with a look that says that is not possible, and my professor finished for me saying ohh your parents must have been lucky, but still you guys shoud go see a doctor, you might have something you dont know. :mad: Grrrrrrr....Lady wouldn't give up. So I had to go on and on about how many cousins have married each other and their children are healthy. Anyways I just thought share that.

Marrying cousins is halal, there’s nothing wrong with it. Personally though, the thought of marrying my cousin is just out of the question, I don’t know most of my cousins, most of them, I have never met…but still the thought just doesn’t appeal to me.