Sign in to follow this  
Intuition

Diet and Nutrition

The 10 Worst Snack Foods

Snack food in America seems to become more horrible with every passing year. Here's my list of the worst snack foods of all time. (But be forewarned: This list could become outdated the minute the food industry introduces yet another must-have concoction of sugar, chemicals, coloring and grease to add pounds to your waistline while adding nothing to your nutrition.)

1. French Fries

Don't be reassured by the fact that McDonald's is changing its cooking oil. French fries are still starchy white potatoes cooked in hot fat and flavored with chemicals and sugar. Possibly the worst snack food on the planet.

2. Donuts

Fried bread. Need I say more? And if that wasn't bad enough, add a sugary cream filling and a glaze of more sugar on top. Any questions?

3. Chips (Potato or Corn)

These are really just a packaged version of French fries (see #1). However, you can do damage control on this one by switching to baked blue corn chips, available in health food stores. It's still not real food, but it beats the 7-Eleven version any day.

4. Soda

And sorry, this includes the diet kind. Absolutely nothing of any value here, and a whole lot of chemicals to boot.

5. Cupcakes and Snack Cakes

The creamy filling is fake whipped cream, and the rest of it is sugar, flour and flavoring. You've gotta be kidding.

6. Candy Bars

You might squeeze a gram or two of protein out of the nuts in some of them, but by and large they're a sugar orgy and a nutrition nightmare. Again, you can move slightly up the food chain by switching to one of the "energy" bars. Most are just candy bars disguised as health food but they often have 1/3 less calories, quite a bit more protein and a bit less fat. Don't confuse them with real food though.

7. Pork Rinds

Fried pork skin. Not a good thing. I don't believe that one will be a problem for us icon_razz.gif

8. Fat-Free Cookies

These are even more insidious because they pretend to be healthy. Remember, fat-free doesn't equal calorie free. Betcha can't eat just one!

9. Crackers

Trans-fats anyone? Most crackers are loaded with 'em. Read your labels carefully to find the few that aren't.

10. Pretzels

Surprise, surprise. Remember, just because something doesn't have fat doesn't make it good. This is just white flour, water and sugar masquerading as a healthy snack. Fuggedaboutit.

Runner up: Those creamy, carmelly, coconutty coffee mocha-latte-frappe drinks that are taking over the universe. I love my Starbucks too, but 20 ounces of caffeine, sugar, whipped cream and milk taken once or twice a day does not a lean waistline make!

And yes, the calories you drink count.

Originally posted by Intuition:

4. Soda

And sorry, this includes the diet kind. Absolutely nothing of any value here, and a whole lot of chemicals to boot.

You know, I do feel a lot more assured knowing whilst I won't be getting much nutrients in, I know I can drink a litre and not make a difference to my waistline. There aren't many 'diet' products that could say the same. :D

However, I guess this only works if it's not accompanied by three portions of Triple Cheese-burgers and fries on the side. (It's funny how many people do that).

Nice list...basically anything worth snacking on, eh?

I have a weakness for PEPSI (I often wake up in the middle of the night craving it), but other than that my snacking habits consist of tea and plain 'dunking' biscuits, so I think am ok. :cool:

raula   

^^^likewise-not just any tea(herbal)or Tazo chai(as in teabags).

I snack on plenty of fruits and drinking pop and soda isn't even in my options.

Nice list gal-no wonder obesity is becoming an epidemic in our parts of the world.

NB: New studies show that many somalis are becoming quickly HYPERTENSIVE and DIABETIC due to consumption of plenty of REFINED FOODS, LACK OF EXERCISE and POOR LIFESTYLE CHOICES.

Good Read INTUITION.

Thankgod i have no weakness for non of the foods mentioned in there.... i just eat anything with high protien in it..

nice list though.. thanks for sharing it..

Fried bread. Need I say more? And if that wasn't bad enough, add a sugary cream filling and a glaze of more sugar on top. Any questions?

Yes, I have a Question: Why is it so delicious and Yummy?

thanks!

10. Pretzels

Surprise, surprise. Remember, just because something doesn't have fat doesn't make it good. This is just white flour, water and sugar masquerading as a healthy snack. Fuggedaboutit

What's your beef with Pretzels?

I think Pretzels are by far the best choice of snacking, dip it with low fat honey mustard and dhareer aa kaa imaanaayo....need I say morE?

Again, you gotta come up with alot more than there is "FLOUR, WATER AND SUGAR " in it nonsense.

...SO IS EVERYTHING ELSE YOU EAT, UNLESS YOU ARE ANOREXIC(U CANT AVOID FLOUR OR WATER OR SUGAR IN MOST OF THE FOODS Y'ALL PUT IN YOUR MOUTH)

PS: Y'all should be encouraged to stop snacking on dounuts and eating alot more pretzels and fruits, not vice versa

^exactly my sentiments.

Nothing is fat free nooh.

How about my flour-less Malawax? delicious i tell ya! :cool:

And stop doing "----" This. its bothering me!

juba   

Originally posted by *Chauvinist*:

And stop doing "----" This. its bothering me!

in that case ill be doing it "often"! :D

Bess.   

am amazed that nobody mentioned the most divinely delicious snack of all time.... chocolate.....or any chocolate related snack.... ... :D

shyhem   

Damn some pple have made a business out of scaring the consumers.Is this the Dubya version of Madison avenue.

I love my Starbucks too, but 20 ounces of caffeine, sugar, whipped cream and milk taken once or twice a day does not a lean waistline make!

Yeah i hate going to starbucks.However it has nothing to do with nutrition.Its the price that i got issues with.Those "designers" coffee are just too expensive for my skinny somali azz.