Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Somaliland: Time for Recognition

NGONGE   

Something unrelated to this topic at all:

There are many people on this website that are articulate, eloquent and very fluent. Their words are smooth and ideas sunny. The best of all, the one I really do enjoy reading no matter what topic they engage in, is Yasmine; Concise, clear and never tortuous. The words she uses are Standard English; never plumps for the decorative type of words unless the occasion requires it.

I don’t usually dispense my praise this freely and am never comfortable when I do so. However, in this case, I’m happy to spend all day eulogising my sister’s talent and the pleasure I derive from reading her pieces.

May all your words stay crystal clear and all your ideas thoughtful and constructive.

why undermine its aspirations and chip away at its foundation of goodwill by professing to hate particular groups of Somalis?

It Very Clear that Most people do understand My theory of Greater Somalia, Many people would say that such a theory or even thinking brings harm to the individuals who truly want one somalia.

I do not hate any gorup but try to ward off those who actually hate Greater and even better somalia, Our neighboring countries have tried to surpress any Actions we take that were considered to unite us because they know what we bring at the table hen somalia is one and that is to even unify us more by trying to bring more land to us.

Somalialand has done one thing and one thng that has made every nation in this world very catious About it, They have tried to create a nation where there is one tribe, one people who have power and they rest may have small powers but are very little in terms of what the biggest tribe of them all has.

You see many people have tried to break us apart but our religion, our language and our desires to be somalis will always defeat any attempt to seperate us.

Power is what they need, I mean why is nation trying to break away while the rest of the nation is unfied, Even though the involved tribe only settles in haragaisa and baidoa they still claim all of the north.

-Mohamed Nuur

Warmoog   

Raami,

Believe me, walaal, I'm as uncomfortable in shouldering praise as you are in dispensing it. More so, I would say, but thank you for the kind words - the appreciation is mutual. I’m probably not alone in finding your contributions unique in their sharp wit and vitality.

Mohamed,

Brother, as I've suggested already, a distinction needs to be drawn between what the Somaliweyn ideology is about (ex: unity, brotherhood, etc.) and what some people think it's about (ex: hating Somaliland, certain groups from the region, etc.) because the existing conflation of the two offers little hope and is, well, disturbing.

My comments were a response to what I think is a misrepresentation of an ideology based, if nothing else, on good intentions by people who've either lost sight of its true meaning or who, having already pledged their deepest loyalties to other concepts (i.e. tribalism), are merely taking expedient shelter in its label. In case we've lost perspective, the idea of Somaliweyn was forged as part of an attempt to construct a common platform upon which all Somalis could meet and eventually unite. It was never meant to be a mask of convenience for tribalists who, I should add, just might succeed in completely confounding and deconstructing the ideology from within.

In saying this, walaal, it’s neither my intent to accuse you of being a perpetrator nor to attach accusations of a tribalist mentality to your name. The statements you made in your first post under this thread, bearing little subtly, were plain for all to read and judge so recapitulations on my part are unnecessary. The idea was to offer honest and constructive criticism because, to me at least, you appeared to have an ill-defined understanding of what it means to support Somaliweyn. I’m simply suggesting that you rethink your approach because if there is an obvious disparity between an ideology and an espouser's understanding of it, or how that understanding is applied, then something is almost certainly wrong.

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH GIVE THEM RECOGNITION

I HEREBY RECOGNISE SOMALILAND AS A VERY IMPORTANT STATE WITH THE FEDERAL STATES OF SOMALIA.IT WILL BE AUTONOMOUS AND RULE ITSELF NEVER TO BE RULED INTERNALLY BY MUQDISHO.SO GUYS ALL TOGETHER NOW

AAAAAAAAAAAH

WE RECOGNISE YOU!!!!

NGONGE   

Many things puzzle me in this political section. :rolleyes:

I see many people trying to peddle the noble idea of Somali unity and stubbornly refuse the separation of Somaliland! At times, doubt creeps in and I start thinking maybe they have a point, unity is a great thing after all!

I then click on other threads and see the mischievousness and barefaced tribalism of these same people being displayed on a hundred and one issues that are related and unrelated to Somaliland! Again, doubt creeps in and I start wondering if the Somalilanders have not done the right thing by cutting themselves off from the rest of Somalia!

I don’t need to repeat Yasmine’s words above. I think she was very clear and totally agree with her assessment.

Emotional people can’t be helped I suppose, slow-witted ones are a burden we have to cope with too. However, outwardly intelligent, wise and rational people falling for the propaganda and fuelling it are what we should not tolerate!

I’ve come across some brother’s on this site who waste their time on criticising trivialities and lament, whinge, moan and decry the lack of intelligent debate! I will not be telling a lie if I said that I found those misplaced concerns amusing and at times, bizarre! What amazes me, what really gets my goat (as the saying goes) is the lack of condemnation on the tripe we get on this section!

The admins have wisely banned the use of tribal names when discussing Somali politics. I can only assume the reason they did so was so this site didn’t end up like all the other ridiculous websites that are scattered all over the NET! Those sites appeal to the lowest common denominator and are used by people to vent some anger against tribe A, tribe B, sub-tribe F and D. They serve no purpose at all and anyone reading them is unlikely to derive any benefits (maybe a little bit of fake pleasure) from visiting them.

I do apologise if I’m being direct but in order for us to benefit from each other, candour is what’s needed at times. It seems this site has turned into an upmarket copy of all those other websites. Political discussion is nothing but endless articles of propaganda copied and pasted from those lowly websites or written by members of this site! Members easily get round the ban on tribal names by referring to cities that are universally known to be populated by a certain tribe or an administration or, even the new President of Somalia and his sub-clan! Is there really a need for a ban then?

If what destroyed Somalia was tribalism, surely tribalism is not what’s going to bring it back together again. If what drove Somaliland away was tribalism, clearly tribalism is not what’s going to bring it back into the fold (these are not facts and I’m sure people would want to prove them true or otherwise)!

I have said this in previous threads in the past and I’ll repeat it here again; if I wanted to talk Somali politics with bigots, half-wits and reactionaries, I’d visit any Somali coffee shop and listen to my ill-mannered brothers waxing lyrical about how evil such and such tribe is and how innocent and magnificent they themselves are.

The remonstrations about the trivia on the off-topic (formerly general) forum are misguided. That’s not what would lower the tone of this site; it’s content in this political section, the Camel Milk Debate and the Islamic sections that will.

I do hope that members (from Somalia, Puntland, Somaliland and all the others belonging to Somali speaking areas) would endeavour to improve their input. Those that can’t tame their tribalistic urges and emotional impulses could at least work harder on their sensitivity, subtlety and sarcasm. What’s more, I hope the management of the site would pay closer attention to the articles being posted here and filter out the pointless drivel. (Of course I realise that they’re overworked as it is and appreciate all their work, but the bucket, is well and truly full, and the lid is starting to come off). :(:(

Originally posted by ORGILAQE:

I HEREBY RECOGNISE SOMALILAND AS A VERY IMPORTANT STATE WITH THE FEDERAL STATES OF SOMALIA.IT WILL BE AUTONOMOUS AND RULE ITSELF NEVER TO BE RULED INTERNALLY BY MUQDISHO.SO GUYS ALL TOGETHER NOW

AAAAAAAAAAAH

WE RECOGNISE YOU!!!!

You cannot turn back the time,

this is how the niave trusting somalilanders were feeling in 1960.

Your suggestion sounds good but it is no gaurentee.

In 1969 siad barre killed Soamliweyn when he illegali took power.

even with the marginalization and unhappyness with the lack of expected political power to be given, somalilanders were still commited to unity.

Even with the corrupt democracy they were still optimistic, but siad barre was the last straw.

No tell me what will prevent another Siad barre.

nothing but independence.

If it means war to keep all of Sool and Sanaag then so be it.

becuase if i dont fight now , my grand children will be facing oppression and fighting for thier freedom 30 years from now.

The only thing that maybe palletable to us maybe

a confederation with somaliland keeping its armed forces and sharing foriegn relations and aid.

but that will not be considered by the south at all. They expect us to be a weak , insignifigant

province that should shut up and stop asking for what they dont deserve.

If that is the image in their heads then they should meet us on the battlefield, to make that image reality.

My two cents

Baashi   

Ms. Monica Sanchez Bermudez thesis assumes that former British Somaliland residents are all for the separation. She understands the fact that the former British Somaliland protectorate ceased to exist legally in 1960 when the two newly independent regions united voluntarily and became one country named Somali Republic.

All international laws apply to Somalia Republic, as it is a member-state of the UN. Therefore, when Monica takes on the question of territorial integrity in relation to Somaliland she is either confused or she doesn’t understand what she’s talking about! Clearly, as she herself stated, the territorial integrity is a right in the UN charter applicable to its members only.

As to the self-determination question in relation to Somaliland and their right to secede, again here she is basing her thesis on unverified assumption. Had she done a genuine research, she would have realized that the self-determination is a right sought by two different groups within the former British protectorate as a tool for different ends. The paper is written (used as an example) as if residents in Somaliland are united in their quest of seceding from Somalia. Ignored is the fact that part of Somaliland is in fact now part of newly created state of Puntland. Self-determination right gets a bit complicated here unless former colonial borders trump this right.

Self-determination is a two-edged knife for the secessionists in the North. On the one hand, secessionists embrace self-determination when it serves their interests, in this case: sovereignty. On the other hand, secessionists oppose with vigor when the same right is extended to the pro-unity crowd who don’t wish to secede from the rest of the country. Ironically, they oppose the self-determination principle on the grounds of the territorial integrity of Somaliland. Very interesting rationale! The tyranny of majority is how secessionists justify their rationale. It just doesn’t add up!

To Ms Monica credit, she gets right the history of self-determination and territorial integrity and the inherent conflict between the two.

Out of topic: I see some nomads' attempt to confuse the Somaliweyn and Somalia as two interchangeable and synonymous terms. Folks let me challenge you: do some homework and understand for once the difference between the two. One was a noble foreign policy adopted by the leaders of the state whereas the other is Somalia the state itself.

Originally posted by ORGILAQE:

AAAAAAAAAAAH

WE RECOGNISE YOU!!!!

It makes me laugh when i read your post, Quit frankly it small but fell with errors, First of factual errors:

IT WILL BE AUTONOMOUS AND RULE ITSELF NEVER TO BE RULED INTERNALLY BY MUQDISHO

First of all why dont any other somali Gobol they want autonmy and second of all with out a centrl goverment militas and all the rest that came with militas will come along as well, YOu see bending to somalialand and its arrogant, Selfish somalis will not only ruin the nation but will devide us deeply forever, I will not satnd around and see this So called Somalialanders who truly are nothing more than a teenage who properly happens to be Issack, who found nothing to do but start Bashig on what he does not have a knowlodge for.

The unity of somalia was not as if "Somalialand" signed a treaty with Somalia or as if any one said join together, t happen so naturally that you cant even said we were seperated by the british flag and the italian flag

Factaully The Issaxk tribe who wants to claim every bit of somalialand only live in two areas or cities One of them is hargaisa and the other borao or some other Kidnapped city.

I mean what can a "Somalialander" Hope for when today they cant even let a proud somali person celebrate the success of his country and the battle it took to get it

I believe this thread is hopeless nad should be deemed Fictional and taken out for the simple reason of its has no truths and most if it is a lie,

(I wrote this to show how passionate Iam about somalia, so if you tke it to the heart so be it and if hate so much for this post so be it)

You keep forgeting under the federal charter all the states in somalia will rule themselves internally but will not under any circumstance cease to be part of Somalia.So i dont see what your argument is about.So i only offered what is on offer to them!

We will not lose

with or without recognition we will be outside the pale of the five pointed star.

Failure to stop dreaming about a reunification

will prevent development of the rest of somalia.

and we have nothing to lose but our freedom.

This is not mearly an academic excercise

it is the deeply held hopes of others.

I already have what i want that is one Recognised SOMALIA you are the one dreaming Pal!!ALL i have to do is Make SOMALIA Great and in the process make you GREAT as well.I have my dreams and yjey are starting to take shape now.Like it or not The new government is YOurs too!!!

Sophist   

Uuh the ever tribally motivated discussions! With sane mind, one would assume there would be a ceasefire in the cyber space war for the respect of this Holly month; but like their uncles in front lines they unleash fury of great magnitude--- all these are not so cleverly covered with flowery language.

Aloow Noo Gargaar.

Nabad