Sign in to follow this  
Yusufaddie

How old is the Col.?

He's born in december 1934, so he's 69 till next december. Anti-Abdullahi Yusuf make him older than he is, in the hope to see him as a lesser threat. Let me tell you, Siad Barre ruled Somalia with an iron fist till his 90s.

Rahima   

^ What a load of bullock :D (excuse my French).

How would you know what month he was born?

Most people my parents age don't even know the exact year they we're born let alone month- and mind you CY is old enough to have both my father and mother ;) .

Yusufaddie, we are Somalis brother, many of the older generations do not know their real age. I’m sure all those reports base their figures on estimations smile.gif . Age just wasn’t important once upon a time to us (or so I’ve being told).

Rahima, he was born in Galkacyu to a well off family who kept the date of his birth.

Maybe your parents dont know when they where born but his did.

Abdullahi Yusuf is 69 years of age, but Rahima always knows better right?

Bachelor   

I remember this guy very well and i have met him sevral times back in Addis Abeba. He was very young and charming then. I guess after his put in jail things have changed for good. Nowadays when i see his picutes :rolleyes: . Life is not fair.

Rahima   

Smith,

No need to get all touchy brother ;) . Say anything about good old CY and Smith is bound to come to the rescue :rolleyes: . Cajiib, very loyal you are.

Regardless, I would of have said the same thing about anyone his age. His family matters not, the point is most Somalis around that age do not know when exactly they were born. It is an educated guess, not fact.

And anyway, ease it up will you. I can be sensitive; I am a woman after all ;) . But really, what is your excuse smile.gif ?

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by SmithNwestern:

Rahima, he was born in Galkacyu to a well off family who kept the date of his birth.

Maybe your parents dont know when they where born but his did.

yeah, you forgot to mention they also had a satelite-dish hanging by the 'waab' so they could watch latest blockbusters movies... :D

Rahima lol. My parents know the exact date that they were born, so speak for your own family allright! You're acting like Somalis started to become civilised people after 1960. What a shame.

Gabbal   

Technically Rahima is correct. Most Somalis areound that age do not know the year they were born, much less the month and date.

SJ   

Recording occurrences of events in those days had no value and wasn’t due to lack of civilize pals as some of you assert.

n who cares bout his age?...well i guess some do

OG_Girl   

I don’t understand what difference does it make what his age is?

Well, in our traditions, we have famous years that are used as a benchmark,for example When the abyssinian conquered Mecca using elephants and led by the Christian army of Abrha, in the year 571 AD (This year known as the Year of the Elephant).This is the year our Propthet(Saw) was born.So we marked that, as Abu Bakar was born 2 years later 573 AD and so on.

Coming back to his age, Somalis have four seasons per year and each season consist of three months.The year one is born is derived from this even if the month he was born is not known, this can then be approximated within three months. Hence knowing his age is not a problem at all, with an accuracy of three months.

But the fact of the matter is, it doesn’t make a difference what his age is cause what matters is what he does.

Salam

Rahima   

You're acting like Somalis started to become civilised people after 1960.

To know ones exact date of birth does not necessarily equate to one being civilized.

To believe such a thing is shameful ;) .

I did not put such a stipulation on our people; rather i stated that which is the case.